• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalgia aside, are old games still fun to you?

daywarf

My favorite genre is fast paced scoring arcade games like Tony Hawk and SSX, so yes, definitely.
I still enjoy playing them and it's still a very unique experience that I sadly can't find in anything anymore since games like these don't get made anymore.

Outside of that, for other genres, it depends, some games did aged badly while some others still feel better than stuff from today.
For example, I don't like that most games from today do too much hand holding and too much tutorial, however, I also hate when some old games were actually more frustrating / tedious than actually difficult, like making you restart a whole hour of gameplay if you died or something, so it's really mixed and depends.

But in general, I find that if the gameplay was great before, it's still great today, it's more visuals, ways of story telling and such that can age more poorly.
scoring arcade games is so rare now

bender

What time is it?
Retro games are life. They’ll always be fun. The Nintendo Switch Online subscription is like a goldmine to me

I paid for the upgraded to the expansion back and the only thing I've played is Gears of War .1.

giphy.gif

Arsic

Gold Member
I replay RE Remake and RE0 often. RE4 less now.

RE games lend themselves to fantastic replay value years later due to such fantastic world building , atmosphere , and gameplay .

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yes. I just bought SNK vs Capcom card fighters clash for my switch and then spent the past week hooked on it. It’s just as fun as it was over a decade ago.

Fredrik

You "don't find it right" what I did, so you go and do the same thing in reverse by intentionally calling out the most gimped version released in the era? That's like me saying Doom sucked because of it's framerate on old DOS PCs of the time, or the audio of a bad soundcard from the same era, or saying X-men Vs. Street Fighter sucks because the Playstation version was an awful port. Sorry, but your double standard sticks out like a sore thumb.
PAL versions are the only versions I can play if I do what OP ask and put nostalgia aside and go back to my old games to look if they’re still holding up. What are you suggesting that I should do?

Besides, I actually find it highly interesting that ”the most gimped version released in the era” still managed to get a 100/100 score in the biggest gaming mag in my country and are still sitting on many people’s best game of all time lists. If it was so bad that people shouldn’t use it to judge the game’s quality, why did it get top scores?

Correction though, I’m playing it and unless my TV is doing tricks it’s actually not squished top-down on OG PAL N64, so things could’ve been worse, playing PS1 PAL games hurts today.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Some yes, when I play some old 2d arcade/ 16 bit console games it makes me realise how much fucking about and time there is between any action or fun in most modern games.

PAL versions are the only versions I can play
How the heck is this even possible in the HDTV era? Like, seriously, your situation sounds too distinct, arbitrary and conspicuous to warrant answer because it sounds as if you're actively and deliberately avoiding updating your gaming setups from the era for the sake of whatever argument you're trying to make. In spite of posting on NeoGAF on a device that can run circles around the old N64 hardware.

Besides, I actually find it highly interesting that ”the most gimped version released in the era” still managed to get a 100/100 score in the biggest gaming mag in my country and are still sitting on many people’s best game of all time lists. If it was so bad that people shouldn’t use it to judge the game’s quality, why did it get top scores?
To start, why do you even blindly trust that UK gaming mags always used PAL-region games for their reviews? Especially knowing Europe's history of importing from NTSC regions because of their own understanding that PAL got nerfed games.

Second off, how the heck does this help your inital argument at all? If Ocarina of TIme's quality shines through it's worst version, who the heck are you to say, and I bring back up your quote
Remove the nostalgia glasses and you’ll see that OoT on PAL N64 is running at 17fps, squashed with black bars, and with slower speed. It’s really bad, today. And that goes for many early 3D games from that period, for the most part it’s sweet untouched childhood memories when you have nice thoughts about them, very few holds up today.
if these reviews are such a statement of authority? Again, your original argument depends on things "aging like milk" rendering opinions of the era invalid. To suddenly prop up old reviews as "valid" for the purpose of your argument is a double standard.

Fredrik

How the heck is this even possible in the HDTV era? Like, seriously, your situation sounds too distinct, arbitrary and conspicuous to warrant answer because it sounds as if you're actively and deliberately avoiding updating your gaming setups from the era for the sake of whatever argument you're trying to make. In spite of posting on NeoGAF on a device that can run circles around the old N64 hardware.

To start, why do you even blindly trust that UK gaming mags always used PAL-region games for their reviews? Especially knowing Europe's history of importing from NTSC regions because of their own understanding that PAL got nerfed games.

Second off, how the heck does this help your inital argument at all? If Ocarina of TIme's quality shines through it's worst version, who the heck are you to say, and I bring back up your quote

if these reviews are such a statement of authority? Again, your original argument depends on things "aging like milk" rendering opinions of the era invalid. To suddenly prop up old reviews as "valid" for the purpose of your argument is a double standard.
Distinct situation? Everybody in Europe and countries where PAL was the standard is going to play that version on their old N64s even on a €100k 8K TV. I doubt having a NTSC console or a cartridge ripper to play on emulators is more common. All my old consoles are PAL consoles, 99% of all my old games are PAL games. I’m not seeking out the worst possible way to play them, it’s simply what I have. I have a handfull of NTSC games on a modded PS1 too but the N64 library is all PAL. Around Dreamcast games started running in PAL60 and then we finally got the full framerate.

Anyhow, since I’m trying to determine if old games on old consoles I still have plugged in can stand the test of time without nostalgia I find it odd to play them beefed up in some emulator. If you think that’s how it should be done then focus on that for your own testing. I’ll keep using original hardware.

Distinct situation? Everybody in Europe and countries where PAL was the standard is going to play that version on their old N64s even on a €100k 8K TV. I doubt having a NTSC console or a cartridge ripper to play on emulators is more common.
Switch online isn't exactly a good way to play Ocarina of Time, but that's easily "more common" than a PAL N64 considering the sales numbers. Same goes for the 3DS version. The N64 did not sell that much in PAL regions, particularly compared to the Switch and 3DS, so having one of those versions actually sounds more statistically possible than being stuck with only a PAL N64 version to play on a 8K television. As for NTSC consoles? While it might not be more common depending on money class, I sincerely doubt someone who'd spend what would translate in USD to the price of a HOUSE in my local are for an 8K TV would think that importing a NTSC-U console and game version and a third-party HDMI adapter to be that much additional effort, assuming you care about the quality of your game experience to begin with. But arguably, if you did, you'd have kept your old CRT around.
Anyhow, since I’m trying to determine if old games on old consoles I still have plugged in can stand the test of time without nostalgia I find it odd to play them beefed up in some emulator. If you think that’s how it should be done then focus on that for your own testing. I’ll keep using original hardware.

This isn't just about using emulators; the fact of the matter is, the PAL-region games are as non-standard as any emulator or other non-original variant release - arguably one even more distorted and "wrong" in regard to replicating my own experience with the game than an emulator, even - and that was the point I was making when I called you out on using the PAL version as some sort of baseline. They're not the version I played, nor are they the version the majority of the people who played OoT back in the day played, or the version Nintendo bases other versions on for remakes or ports, or a version Nintendo sells today, or a version that people in the current day who would want to play OoT on the original hardware for whatever reason would go look for in an aftermarket sale. PAL OoT was a niche version, created to fill a niche necessity, that is no longer used today. Knowing this, why would you use a PAL version as a baseline for if "nostalgia holds up" other than what is, seemingly, entirely your own personal convenience? How are we even supposed to have an argument over whether "nostalgia holds up" if you'd insist on your baseline being a version that isn't even what others reading the thread would consider the "standard"?

Sw0pDiller

Playing some virtual console games on my Wii U lately. just finish super mario world and started Advance Wars. these gems are awesome.

Fredrik

How are we even supposed to have an argument over whether "nostalgia holds up" if you'd insist on your baseline being a version that isn't even what others reading the thread would consider the "standard"?
You’re assuming too much here, people here come from all over the world, I’m not the only one who only have experience in PAL versions for old games. And it wouldn’t matter anyway, 20fps is 3 fps more, it’s still terrible when you go back to that today.

The 2011 3DS version holds up better but is it fair to use that version to answer the question OP asks? It’s a remaster of an old game but is it still an old game? Is Demon’s Souls on PS5 an old game? Not for me. And for me this thread is about early 8-bit, 16-bit consoles plus PS1 and N64, because that’s where my nostalgia kicks in and the thread is about taking off the nostalgia glasses.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
They always have been fun. We're not talking nostalgia and it's not really about that. When I take out my NES, SNES or whichever -- I'm playing the games as if they were made yesterday. I can appreciate the advance in modern gaming platforms and there are particular games (like Halo vs. Halo 3) which show one aged better or worse than the other. Anyway, Ganbare Goemon, TLOZ: A Link to the Past and Metroid have never gotten old. If I had the time, I'd play them any day.

Top Bottom