• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notre Dame on Fire is Ubisoft next new VR game

What's with the ragetard reaction?
Who gives a damn about Notre Dame
the-hunchback-of-notre-dame-15.png

Quasimodoes

VN1X

Banned
What's with the ragetard reaction?
Who gives a damn about Notre Dame
I guess you've missed the part where churches across france have been burned and vandalized throughout the last 5 years or so. I think it was close to a thousand cases of this in 2017 (or was it 2018?) alone.

Last edited:

kalecsan

Banned
I guess you've missed the part where churches across france have been burned and vandalized throughout the last 5 years or so. I think it was close to a thousand cases of this in 2017 (or was it 2018?) alone.
Right, and I have a cat called retardo.
What is the relation between your vandalism's history lesson and the ubisoft game?

ymoc

what? Why would you ever think british?
I could understand if you thought canadian, but brits? 🤔
You know....since the historic rivalry between England and France, so it would make sense for a English company to troll the French and not an actual French company doing this to themselves.

Fuz

Banned
My first reaction was to think it's rather tasteless.

Then I remembered nothing is sacred*, and I'm ok with that.

* Except Tolkien's work.

VN1X

Banned
Right, and I have a cat called retardo.
What is the relation between your vandalism's history lesson and the ubisoft game?
You were asking why everyone's reacting in a certain way and why people give a fuck about a famous church/classical piece of architecture such as the Notre Dame.

EDIT: by the way for those saying "cancel culture" or whatever: the devs can create whatever they want nor would I ever advocate for outright cancelling of anything. Who knows, it might end up in good taste after all (it might also not). I just won't play it either way as it doesn't sound like something that would be interesting, personally speaking of course.

Last edited:

yurinka

Wait, is Ubisoft a French or British company? I'm confused.
Confused Confusion GIF
French, even if they have around 40 offices in a ton of countries, and the one where they have more people is Canada.

In fact, their headquarters are in Paris, which almost is a different country. The rest of the French people hate Parisians, and Parisians hate the other French people. And Ubi comes from Union des Bretons indépendants (Union of Independent Bretons), Bretons are the ones from a region of France, that I may be wrong but some time ago they wanted to be independent from France.

So who knows. Let's say they are French.

Last edited:

ymoc

French, even if they have around 40 offices in a ton of countries, and the one where they have more people is Canada.

In fact, their headquarters are in Paris, which almost is a different country. The rest of the French people hate Parisians, and Parisians hate the other French people. And Ubi comes from Union des Bretons indépendants (Union of Independent Bretons), Bretons are the ones from a region of France, that I may be wrong but some time ago they wanted to be independent from France.

So who knows. Let's say they are French.
Bro, it was just a bad joke...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Im down if its on Quest and reviews well. One thing I've noticed about VR is that nearly every single game is a new IP. This sounds pretty unique. Like Burning Rangers meets The DaVinci Code lol.

As far as the outrage, save it for your next modern war glory fps game snowflakes.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
*grabs pitch fork???*

no one died in the fire. can someone explain why im supposed to be offended by this so i can be part of the outrage?

My thoughts exactly... It's just a building. Sure, it's an old and famous one, but nobody died. It's not like they're making a game about escaping the WTC during 9/11.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Didn't know they paid money, I was referring to their scans of Notre Dame that helped rebuilding it again authentically. Thanks for the details.
Yeah, I was going to say the same as you. I thought they (Ubisoft) did a CRAZY amount of scans of the place before the fire even happened and made all of those assets available to the restoration team to help with the rehab.

Also, tangentially related, VR simulations the recreate hazardous situations in an effort to educate and train are immensely helpful to people working in hazardous situations. Yes, the simulations recreates (sometimes fatal) real world situations but it helps train new and existing team members WITHOUT putting them in actual burning building and trains them how to react situations that create a high point of vulnerability.

**I have not used the sim mentioned but have been involved with making others**

Mercador

I find it tasteless, even if no one died there. Too soon I guess. I think if there was a Titanic same type of game, it would be probably better received, even if there were dead people in the event but I might be wrong.

Some people are being a little too butthurt about this, but I wouldn't necessarily call this a good idea for a game. I think it will be offensive if they decide to heavily monetize or something like that.

wOs

I'm mad. You should be mad too. Why you ask? Because a company made a game about a famous building that had extensive fire damage, that had a whopping zero fatalities? Fucking distasteful.

Brigandier

This is absolutely preposterous.... How dare they make a tasteless game like this, WTF are they thinking, So many people died in this unbelievably traumatic disaster... #FUCKUBI

DustQueen

Banned
I'm mad. You should be mad too. Why you ask? Because a company made a game about a famous building that had extensive fire damage, that had a whopping zero fatalities? Fucking distasteful.
It is not the "famous building". The cultural n historical significance, n spiritual meaning this "building" has is quite beyond just being a famous building.
And when it was set on fire by a "person of certain peaceful religion" it was a big failure for the western civilization.

So yeah...this game is rather very tasteless.
And if it was purposefully that it would be one thing...
But it seems like they in full seriousness making this game not as a joke.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Just dropping by to say Ubisoft sucks but other than that I see no reason why this is bad. It's pointless but no reason to get offended by.

Three

It is not the "famous building". The cultural n historical significance, n spiritual meaning this "building" has is quite beyond just being a famous building.
And when it was set on fire by a "person of certain peaceful religion" it was a big failure for the western civilization.
WTF are you talking about?

That would be my condition for acceptance as well. But knowing Ubisoft - probably not happening.
This would be happening indirectly anyway seeing as the producers of the film and the company making the game are French. It helps raise awareness of the disaster, the building as a monument for tourism and helps the French economy. All this outrage about a game where you save Notre Dame just seems bizarre honestly.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
It helps raise awareness of the disaster, the building as a monument for tourism and helps the French economy.
You cannot seriously be so gullible as to believe that.

This is not a Ghost Of Tsushima situation.
"France" or "French company" does not qualify as being a charity.
Notre Dame is already a well-known tourism magnet - if anything, the game benefits from THAT and not the other way around.

Three

"France" or "French company" does not qualify as being a charity.
No but I mean these are French companies paying their taxes and therefor paying for restoration indirectly from anything made in addition to the 500,000 Ubisoft donated already.
Notre Dame is already a well-known tourism magnet - if anything, the game benefits from THAT and not the other way around.
Yes it is but having played the game you might be more inclined to see the real thing. There is no negative to having a game like this other than what seems like bizarre outrage to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom