• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notre Dame on Fire is Ubisoft next new VR game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ubisoft has created a new virtual reality escape game focused on escaping the Notre-Dame cathedral when the dreadful fire engulfed it back in 2019.

Called "Notre-Dame on Fire" – which is also the name of a docu-drama by director Jean-Jacques Annaud – the game draws primarily from assets used back in 2014 to create Assassin's Creed Unity. It will release alongside the film in March 2022, although right now, it's not clear what VR platforms the adventure will be available on.

"Like any escape game, it's a question of puzzles and co-operating with your teammates," Ubisoft senior VP Deborah Papiernik told Variety (thanks, The Gamer). "The idea is to make your way through the cathedral to find relics and to fight the fire, because you have to save Notre Dame.

"The fact that we had that access [to the film's screenplay] really nourished our team," Papiernik added, reflecting on how the team responded to the film's screenplay. "That doesn't mean we translated everything to gameplay; rather, it offered our team food for thought for our adaptation."

the whole thing is pathetic. it sucked what happened but did they really need to go and make a dramatic movie about it? shame on ubisoft too for making a VR game around it.

i hope any money made from the film/game is going towards restoring the cathedral or to charity? i know ubisoft donated 500,000 euros but i mean what they make from the game. maybe it will be free? wouldn't like to think they're trying to claw some money back....

Last edited:

Rudius

They should invest in porting existing games to VR. Their FPS titles are obvious candidates, but even third person games can work well in VR.

skit_data

fvJyXE6.gif

Spaceman292

Banned
the whole thing is pathetic. it sucked what happened but did they really need to go and make a dramatic movie about it? shame on ubisoft too for making a VR game around it.

i hope any money made from the film/game is going towards restoring the cathedral or to charity? i know ubisoft donated 500,000 euros but i mean what they make from the game. maybe it will be free? wouldn't like to think they're trying to claw some money back....
It was pretty cinematic as far as fires go, I'm surprised there haven't been more movies. But making a puzzle game about it seems pretty insensitive.

stranno

Maybe not the best setting, but this looks interesting. I wish you could control firefighters tho.

Last edited:
I was talking to a friend today about how Ubisoft saved Notre Dame, but this is just blowing all that away in a pathetic way.
lol they didn't save Notre Dame. they donated 500,000 euros.

1 billion euros were donated within a week. ubisofts donation is 0.05% of that. some people/businesses donated 10, 20, 50, 100 or even 200M euros. so anywhere between 1-20%.

so they hardly saved it lmfao. it was nice of them to donate but others done a much bigger job of saving it.

Last edited:
How? It's just a building. It doesn't have feelings.
it's tasteless in that it's an iconic location and important to french people. it seems like some people are trying to make money off it. if they want to make films and games of it then fine by all means but they should be doing it to help raise funds or for donating to charity.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
it's tasteless in that it's an iconic location and important to french people. it seems like some people are trying to make money off it. if they want to make films and games of it then fine by all means but they should be doing it to help raise funds or for donating to charity.
The building being important to the French means that no one can explore an important moment in its history through art? That would mean that Ubisoft should never have modeled it for Assassin's Creed. Which would mean that they wouldn't have had the data available to help with its reconstruction.

The building's importance is not a good argument to stifle art about it. In fact, its importance is an argument for creating art featuring the building.

The building being important to the French means that no one can explore an important moment in its history through art? That would mean that Ubisoft should never have modeled it for Assassin's Creed. Which would mean that they wouldn't have had the data available to help with its reconstruction.

The building's importance is not a good argument to stifle art about it. In fact, its importance is an argument for creating art featuring the building.
good job missing my point.

i'm not against it being made. infact i totally agree it should be made and documented so people can learn about it. it's tasteless in that it's important location to france and people seem to be trying to make money off it. honestly i feel like i'm repeating myself here....if they are doing it to help with costs and/or giving the money to charity then fine. but so far nobody has came in saying such a thing. so it seems like that dude with his film and ubisoft are doing this to line their own pockets. that's why it's shit.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
lol they didn't save Notre Dame. they donated 500,000 euros.

1 billion euros were donated within a week. ubisofts donation is 0.05% of that. some people/businesses donated 10, 20, 50, 100 or even 200M euros. so anywhere between 1-20%.

so they hardly saved it lmfao. it was nice of them to donate but others done a much bigger job of saving it.

Didn't know they paid money, I was referring to their scans of Notre Dame that helped rebuilding it again authentically. Thanks for the details.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I'm a french person and i'm not offended at all. Stop being a drama queen, nobody is dead and it's a joint effort with the movie, made by a very respected french director (Jean Jacques Annaud), a collab at the initiative of Pathé (the movie distributor) on Annaud idea.

The US is known to make a movie of any incident (remember the Eastwood movie about the americans on a french train fighting terrorists ?). I was far more shocked by a New York guy selling T shirt on the streets with "I've Survived" on it, the day after the Twins Towers collapsed. THAT was tasteless.

Rivet

I'm a french person and i'm not offended at all. Stop being a drama queen, nobody is dead and it's a joint effort with the movie, made by a very respected french director (Jean Jacques Annaud), a collab at the initiative of Pathé (the movie distributor) on Annaud idea.

The US is known to make a movie of any incident (remember the Eastwood movie about the americans on a french train fighting terrorists ?). I was far more shocked by a New York guy selling T shirt on the streets with "I've Survived" on it, the day after the Twins Towers collapsed. THAT was tasteless.

I'm French too but I have mixed feelings about that. For Paris and French people, that event was a disaster and it's not like it happened a long time ago. I'm not sure a game about that is a good idea.

Then again, it depends on how it's done.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
good job missing my point.

i'm not against it being made. infact i totally agree it should be made and documented so people can learn about it. it's tasteless in that it's important location to france and people seem to be trying to make money off it. honestly i feel like i'm repeating myself here....if they are doing it to help with costs and/or giving the money to charity then fine. but so far nobody has came in saying such a thing. so it seems like that dude with his film and ubisoft are doing this to line their own pockets. that's why it's shit.
I didn't miss your point. Your point is wrong. Ubisoft is making a game. They are selling the game because that's how they continue to exist. Art isn't free. Games aren't free. If Ubisoft wants to make a game they have to pay the people who make it for them. If they want to pay those people, that money has to come from somewhere. They bring money in by selling games. And Ubisoft is way, way better about giving games away for free after they've made a profit on them than any other company of similar size.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Ubisoft is creatively dead. They're lost..

Of course they are using AC assets from this. Thats all they have/do.

Remember when they said they were taking a break to refocus AC and FC toninjwct some freshness into their series? ...then Valhalla and FC6 came out and it was literally the same as everything before it.

Raven117

Gold Member
I disagree. I don’t think this is crazy distasteful. It’s releasing along with a documentary on the issue. And a game that helps capture what happened… to be in a realistic depiction of that gorgeous church can help realize what was lost.

It’s not like this is some 60 bucks… aAA notre dame first person shooter taking down demon deacons…..(which kinda sounds awesome actually).

Y’all need to lighten up

Top Bottom