• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2021 US NPD

At first glance, I thought the the demand for PS5 and XBox was finally coming down! Great, I can finally buy one! Then everyone brought me back to life....Supply is even worst than last year. Oh boy.

• Empathy
Reactions: Isa

Elios83

For what it’s worth, the Series S is not that supply constrained. It’s generally in stock and seems to be moving units decently.

The numbers are there and unfortunately there's nothing decent. Microsoft had to put XSX production basically in hiatus to be able to sell 600k consoles overall in the US in November.
It's really bad.
The fact S is not that constrained has more to do with demand for that model rather than huge stock available.
But I think that focusing on S was the only smart decision for Microsoft to take under these circumstances.
XSX with its huge SOC would have meant a virtual no show.

supply is riley reid level fucked

It's brutal

5s8wlGY.jpg

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
We are into what 80 million switches sold? That certainly has to be a lot of new manufacturing. IDK. Seems strange to blame everything on supply constraints when one company is selling so much more than the others. I think people are underestimating Nintendo a bit.
I added a bit more in my post.

Tegra X1 chip is way smaller than PS5/SeriesS chips... and use a higher process node so they are in difference production lines.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
I never thought the Series S would beat the Switch family, but I do wish we had an OLED sales breakdown. I thought this tweet was interesting:

"US NPD HW - Switch was the best-selling hardware platform in both units and dollars for both November 2021 as well as 2021 year-to-date."

Sounds like Switch overtook the $500 console in dollars.

Nintendo is probably fine with next gen console supply issues
How was it dubious. Black Friday is one day. This report is the whole month.

Btw if switch did 550k on BF, then xbox did better, which means ps5 must have been really low for November.

Because the report made it seem like it sold the most when it didn’t. They were counting individual SKU against individual Switch models and PS5. Combined, Switch sold the most.

This is why people should never trust data without actual numbers. Including this so called NPD report.

Only the gaming industry is so stingy when it comes to sharing numbers. Lack of actual numbers is replaced with nothing but PR garbage making it seem certain things are doing better than they really are.

reksveks

Zhuge's twit and Nintendo numbers+ simple math.
1.13m Switch and PS5+Xbox barely matching that combined.
~600k for Xbox and ~500k for PS5 becomes an obvious guess.
Referring to xbox series s and X split. I would be interested to see there is any good month by month estimates.

ethomaz

Banned
Nintendo is probably fine with next gen console supply issues

Because the report made it seem like it sold the most when it didn’t. They were counting individual SKU against individual Switch models and PS5. Combined, Switch sold the most.

This is why people should never trust data without actual numbers. Including this so called NPD report.

Only the gaming industry is so stingy when it comes to sharing numbers. Lack of actual numbers is replaced with nothing but PR garbage making it seem certain things are doing better than they really are.
What report said Series sold more in Black Friday? I didn't remember any.
With 550k Switch at BF there is not margin to Series sell more.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Switch is just eye poppingly insane. Selling over 1m in a month in the US. It sold over 200k in Japan last week alone. Just fecking stupid man. To the moon.

yurinka

So the supply of the big console still sucks due to the chips, Xbox Series got the first big console exclusive after some time and CoD, Battlefield and Pokemon selling a lot. No surprises here.

But it makes me wonder when and were is going Sony to ship the consoles needed to reach their PS5 hardware target, because seems they didn't ship them on US this November. Maybe they made a big shipment for EU during November? I think it doesn't the case. Maybe in December? At least until now I'd say it isn't the case.

Last edited:

Elios83

Referring to xbox series s and X split. I would be interested to see there is any good month by month estimates.
Unfortunately I don't think there's any concrete info on that besides evidence than one model has been widely available and the other has basically disappeared from the market outside of the Halo bundles they have been probably stockpiling for a while.

Banjo64

cumsessed
We are into what 80 million switches sold? That certainly has to be a lot of new manufacturing. IDK. Seems strange to blame everything on supply constraints when one company is selling so much more than the others. I think people are underestimating Nintendo a bit.
They confirmed 92.something million Switches sold on their last financial report. With Christmas coming and Black Friday gone I think they’ll be over 100m in their next quarterly report.

Woopah

92 million Switch shipped by the end of September. All companies are impacted by supply constraints, but Nintendo is less affected as they are using older parts. It's not that Nintendo is way better at procurement then the other two.
Does Take 2 provide digital sales for any of their games? No GTA trilogy is weird.
They used to provide digital but not anymore.

ethomaz

Banned
That “Series S was the most popular item on Black Friday” report.
Ohhhh.
Maybe people needs to read the report first.

It is made by Adobe Digital Economy Index.
It is based in digital purchase only.

Edit - The methodology for these curious.

Methodology: The Adobe Digital Economy Index (DEI) uses the Fisher Price Index to track prices in the world of Ecommerce. The Fisher Ideal Price Index uses quantities of matched products purchased in the current period (month) and a previous period (previous month) to calculate the price changes by category. Adobe’s analysis is weighted by the real quantities of the products purchased in the two adjacent months. Powered by Adobe Analytics, the Adobe DEI analyzes 1 trillion visits to retail sites and over 100 million SKUs in 18 product categories. Adobe uses a combination of Machine Learning and manual effort to categorize the products into the categories defined by the CPI manual. The methodology was first developed alongside Austan Goolsbee and Pete Klenow.

Last edited:
I wonder how much Nintendo are benefitting from MS and Sony being unable to meet demand? I can imagine parents this Xmas saying to their kids - ‘I know you wanted a Series S/X/PS5, but I got you another Switch instead - it’s got OLED!’
baby face GIF

They have had the most benefit from the pandemic. A handheld game device is perfect for lockdown.

Elios83

So the supply of the big console still sucks due to the chips, Xbox Series got the first big console exclusive after some time and CoD, Battlefield and Pokemon selling a lot. No surprises here.

But it makes me wonder when and were is going Sony to ship the consoles needed to reach their PS5 hardware target, because seems they didn't ship them on US this November. Maybe they made a big shipment for EU during November? I think it doesn't the case. Maybe in December? At least until now I'd say it isn't the case.

It's easy, bye bye to the target :messenger_tears_of_joy:
With these abysmal sales they'll have to cut it from 14.8m to 12-13m.
Although I guess they could make it up a bit during January-March. There's so much demand that they don't need the holiday season to sell whatever they can manufacture so if they can sort things out a bit for the next quarter they might recover some of the lost ground compared to targets during next quarter.
But it's unlikley, just like Nintendo they'll cut the forecast. Hopefully they can do better next year.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I wonder how much Nintendo are benefitting from MS and Sony being unable to meet demand? I can imagine parents this Xmas saying to their kids - ‘I know you wanted a Series S/X/PS5, but I got you another Switch instead - it’s got OLED!’
baby face GIF
I think it’s more to do with it becoming impulse buy territory (at least in the UK). Games are now permanently £30-£35, Switch Lite is nearly always £150-170 on offer, regular Switch anywhere between £220 and £240 on offer and even the Oled can be imported for £270.

leo-j

They lowered their shipment forecast by a million consoles because of unprecedented shortage of supply. It’s probably going to be hard for them to but their target based on these numbers. Doing 500k ish or less in November in the US is kind of ridiculous. Ps4 would do around a million during those months. And this is with ps4 production being basically halted. It’s a major shortage of parts killing momentum.

Markio128

I think it’s more to do with it becoming impulse buy territory (at least in the UK). Games are now permanently £30-£35, Switch Lite is nearly always £150-170 on offer, regular Switch anywhere between £220 and £240 on offer and even the Oled can be imported for £270.
I guess so, but I the fact that you can actually pick them up as a massive advantage.

onesvenus

We have data for Switch btw.

Switch 1.13m
BF 550k.

Ohhhh Switch was the real MVP on Black Friday against the claim about Series S.

Switch was the best selling console on Black Friday.

What report said Series sold more in Black Friday? I didn't remember any.
With 550k Switch at BF there is not margin to Series sell more.
You are comparing the entire week of BF (that's when the 550k Switch sales happened) vs "the most popular item during BF day".
Both could be true. Even more if it's XSS vs Switch vs Switch OLED vs Switch Lite

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Switch just can't be stopped.

Even though COD is down its still the best selling game. Word of mouth is decent on it so I wonder how it will do in December.

mckmas8808

Banned
I actually thought they might of done as both PS5 and XSX seemed even harder to find than usual the last few months. I guess not though.
Man this chip situation really does suck doesnt it. I could see another 8 or 9 year generation because of it.

9 is literally impossible, but maybe 8. But definitely 7 in my opinion (and that counts any PS5.5s or a Xbox Series X PLUS or something).

ethomaz

Banned
You are comparing the entire week of BF (that's when the 550k Switch sales happened) vs "the most popular item during BF day".
Both could be true. Even more if it's XSS vs Switch vs Switch OLED vs Switch Lite
No.

You are misunderstanding everything from the look of it.

Fact: Switch sold 550k on BF week and it is the best selling console on BF by NPD (includes sales on physical and digital stores).

Now let's fix your phase "According with Adobe the most popular digital item during BF day was Series S (includes only digital stores)".
You guys probably create a narrative based in a article that didn't say what you guys are spreading in this thread.

Last edited:

recursive

It's also competition for the supply. Less demand for older tech means more availability to produce and nintendo purchase.

Fredrik

Damn, those are some shit numbers. Switch is fine I guess, still a bit underwhelming. The other two are kinda yikes. Hope stock gets better.
Why is anyone surprised? I haven’t once seen either PS5 or XSX on a shelf. Haven’t even seen them available to buy online for more than minutes. I bought my PS5 by using a supply tracker that updated the supply on the biggest stores in my country every 30 seconds. 1 available = soullike hardcore action gameplay to be first to the checkout screen!

On Demand

Banned
Ohhhh.
Maybe people needs to read the report first.

It is made by Adobe Digital Economy Index.
It is based in digital purchase only.

Edit - The methodology for these curious.

Even worse then if people were using that for Series S sales. Those reports are hardly accurate since they’re very selective on the data they choose.

On Demand

Banned
Switch is not competing against PS5 or XBS, that's too low for its standard

Switch is competing against history, only NDS and PS2 are in its sight

At least wait until consoles are available regularly to buy before judging them with Switch.

PS4 was outselling Switch consistently for a time. No reason PS5 won’t do the same with normal stock.

ethomaz

Banned
Can you provide a source for that?
NPD says this:

Notice the "week of Thanksgiving".
Thanks for the fix but it doesn’t change anything of what I said.

You are still using Adobe digital online sales tracking as proof for something that it doesn’t.

Last edited:
Top Bottom