• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2021 US NPD

kingfey

Banned
Only because of the lack of stock.
are you series? Where is ps4/xbox one s/x then? You know, they can buy these right, since new games are still on old gen.

If those people wanted those consoles, they could have bought the old gen.

Switch playes different games than xbox/PlayStation. You cant play COD on switch.

Deerock71

I don’t see how anyone can deny that all non-Switch systems are facing severe shortage issues.
I think there were a lot of them walking in to get a Switch, and by gum gettin' themselves a Switch, too. It's like before PS5, people just picked up a Switch because PS5s weren't invented yet, and after PS5s, people picked up a Switch as a consolation prize. To the tune of 100-ish million and counting; DAMN the PS5 is a mover and shaker!

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I don’t see how anyone can deny that all non-Switch systems are facing severe shortage issues.
If you check Japan, you will see how severe these shortages are. People knows it.

Its just NPD, UK sales bring some serious discussions here. If both consoles had stocks, people would have been fighting here.

Lognor

Banned
Switch is definitely the market leader. No argument to be there. Nope. Now is the time for Nintendo to reveal the Switch 2. Keep that momentum going! Keep that foot on the gas!

BEAST! Switch going to be the best selling console of 2 consecutive generations at this rate which is absolutely remarkable. Left the PS4 for dead last gen and is now destroying all this gen. Absolutely insane. That PS2 record is going down unless Nintendo for some reason decide that they don't like selling consoles and making bank. A price drop to USD$199 and no successor announcement and they'll probably sell another 100 million of them with ease.

Also good to see the "enthusiast forum" concern for COD yet again proving that you should ignore the general consensus on places like this. All that hand wringing and concern about the physical sales numbers dropping lots in this almost entirely digital world, yet as expected, it's still the best selling game lol.

Also all the concern and narratives about Game Pass killing game sales, yet Forza Horizon 5 charts only behind 3 of the biggest franchises in the industry lol. Basically if there is overwhelming concern from a certain group of "enthusiasts" on here, there is nothing to worry about.

Series S doing exactly what it was made to do too - be available and be cheap. The switch isn't sold out yet sells insanely well, yet people think that the Series S not being instantly sold out all the time means no one wants it lol. Loving all the constant downplaying attempts by the usual suspects lol. Sony coming last in the NPDs for the biggest month of the year really got them shook.

Another one?

Oops I mean.

Another ban?

BEAST! Switch going to be the best selling console of 2 consecutive generations at this rate which is absolutely remarkable. Left the PS4 for dead last gen and is now destroying all this gen. Absolutely insane. That PS2 record is going down unless Nintendo for some reason decide that they don't like selling consoles and making bank. A price drop to USD$199 and no successor announcement and they'll probably sell another 100 million of them with ease.

Also good to see the "enthusiast forum" concern for COD yet again proving that you should ignore the general consensus on places like this. All that hand wringing and concern about the physical sales numbers dropping lots in this almost entirely digital world, yet as expected, it's still the best selling game lol.

Also all the concern and narratives about Game Pass killing game sales, yet Forza Horizon 5 charts only behind 3 of the biggest franchises in the industry lol. Basically if there is overwhelming concern from a certain group of "enthusiasts" on here, there is nothing to worry about.

Series S doing exactly what it was made to do too - be available and be cheap. The switch isn't sold out yet sells insanely well, yet people think that the Series S not being instantly sold out all the time means no one wants it lol. Loving all the constant downplaying attempts by the usual suspects lol. Sony coming last in the NPDs for the biggest month of the year really got them shook.

was he banned for this? ....this looks pretty harmless

Great Hair

Banned
PS5 sales were abysmal.
1130k Switch at an ASP of $290 (OLED stock was nearly non existent) is $330m
500k PS5 at an ASP of $490 (less Digital stock than usual) is $245m
CwfJvpb.png
Pop Tv Cell Phone GIF by Schitt's Creek

+226% more switches, only+34% higher revenue?

How much of that PS5 revenue is profit?
Street Fighter Yes GIF

3 ps5 equal 5 switch. So you do the math.

Last edited:
are you series? Where is ps4/xbox one s/x then? You know, they can buy these right, since new games are still on old gen.

If those people wanted those consoles, they could have bought the old gen.

Switch playes different games than xbox/PlayStation. You cant play COD on switch.
I just checked the Gamestop website and you cannot get a PS4 either. I know that in Australia PS4s have not been available for sale for a long time now.

kingfey

Banned
I just checked the Gamestop website and you cannot get a PS4 either. I know that in Australia PS4s have not been available for sale for a long time now.
People have been buying them nonstop. I can't even find ps4 from bestbuy, gamestop.

Lockdown and shortages caused people to buy them. Usually you get them laying around in the stores. So far, every console is sold out.

People have been buying them nonstop. I can't even find ps4 from bestbuy, gamestop.

Lockdown and shortages caused people to buy them. Usually you get them laying around in the stores. So far, every console is sold out.

Sony have stopped producing PS4 mostly, they have switched most of their manufacturing to PS5

that’s why you can’t find PS4 at retails now

GhostOfTsu

Banned

Too short once again
was he banned for this? ....this looks pretty harmless
He's one of the biggest warrior here and yet he kept crying to the mods that they were not doing enough to ban them. Zero self-awareness.

Damn, supply is worse off than I thought. In a way, MS benefits from not having as high of demand in as many regions WW as PS. They can focus on NA, UK, and a few regions WW. PS, on the other hand, is more popular pretty much everywhere. With supply the way it is, it's a juggling act where to send consoles for the holidays. Hope this gets sorted out sometime next year for everyone.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Damn, supply is worse off than I thought. In a way, MS benefits from not being as many regions WW as PS. They can focus on NA, UK, and a few regions WW. PS, on the other hand, is more popular pretty much everywhere. With supply the way it is, it's a juggling act where to send consoles for the holidays. Hope this gets sorted out sometime next year for everyone.

what region is PlayStation in that Xbox isn’t ?

Kerotan

No supply for the holidays.

Looks like Sony having GoW, HFW, and GTA7 as cross-gen titles was a smart move afterall.
It's an absolute necessity. I know the shortage is tragic for the holidays but they'll keep producing and selling these November numbers for every other month of the year so not like they lose out that much..

Riky

$MSFT
Nice for Forza Horizon 5, only beaten by COD, Battlefield, and Pokemon, while being on Gamepass day one.

This is quite amazing, despite millions and I do mean MILLIONS playing through a subscription service the game still sells incredibly well.
Microsoft have got to be delighted with that sort of performance, how about all those people who have Gamepass but also got the premium add on pack for early access?
Forza seems to have moved to a whole new level when you take all this into account and Steam/PC sales.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Glad to see SMT doing well..

Switch is a beast. Never expected it to do this well and I bought it launch year. Just goes to show good games are all that matters.
the next AMD node rumors are nuts. I'm hoping for a bigger Pro jump in the very least from last time.
You'll still be limited by the base hardware.

Then the next AMD node comes out and you're back in the same spot.

Technology always improves. If you don't enjoy what you have, you'll never be happy.

Sony and MS using a cutting edge APU doesn't really help them in the supply side.

Mozza

All the consoles have supply issues, but the PS5 and Series X are just a better proposition for the scalpers, in the U.K on E-bay there are always around 4000 consoles for sale, some with a lot at only £70- £100 mark up, but still a nice little earner for people, add this to the constant daily Newspaper articles shouting about how difficult these consoles are to get hold of, and updates on stock with of course the links to the retailers websites, and that's before you factor in all the stock informers on various social media platforms, it's not helping matters at all. ;)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
what region is PlayStation in that Xbox isn’t ?
Well if you know Xbox Consoles are only officially available in 42 countries.

While PS5 is officially available in 107... you will probably find a lot of countries where Xbox isn't.

But I won't cross them to made a list.

Last edited:

Mozza

Playstation 5 bundles available in the U.K, been live for thirty minutes or so, guessing bundles are not as tempting for the scalpers. ;)

Could have checked one out for what seemed ages....

Last edited:

Mozza

Three bundles still in stock, must have had a decent number of consoles coming into the system, grab them while you can.

Last edited:

reksveks

Playstation 5 bundles available in the U.K, been live for thirty minutes or so, guessing bundles are not as tempting for the scalpers. ;)

Could have checked one out for what seems ages....
Unsurprisingly the other items become losses. On stockx, you are getting about a 40 quid profit on the disc version in the uk so then if you have to try and sell the game and controller, you are making like 20 quid profit at the end of the day.

Saw there was two games and an headset, yeah, you are just about breaking even.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I don't think we can say with any certainty that without supply issues PS5 would be beating Switch. The gap would be much smaller for sure, but Switch would probably have the lead.
What some people don't realize is how little Nintendo has had to do to keep things cruising along, and how many cards they can still play in the future to sustain momentum.

I assume this was derived from NPD data. Read the thread for more context.

I think we can start to put a good perspective on what GamePass truly is: a litmus test for game quality justifying (or not justifying) a sale. Which also means it as a curation tool naturally enforces a weeding out of weaker content, because when the content is "free", people are going to value the content of higher quality to make use of their time, which is in some cases an even more limited resource than money.

There has to be a very interesting psychological effect at play here, too. As in, if a product is good enough, there are still a sizable number of people who'd want to buy it even if it's "free" in a service, just to have that sense of individual ownership and investment into something deemed of quality. It's kind of like while at a restaurant and you tip the server; you don't HAVE to do it, but if their service is exceptional, you do so anyway not just out of generosity but because you want to reward them for putting in great service. I think there's a similar mentality among a lot of gamers when it comes to buying games like FH5 even when they are providing themselves "freely" in GamePass.

Conversely, if a game has a lot of flaws, bugs, and just generally turns out to be unpleasant, then that game is likely to see a decrease in sales. The important thing to remember here is that said decrease would come due to the game's own lack of merit, in whatever areas it's lacking, again going back to the server and tipping example where if you have a server providing poor service, you'll probably decide they aren't worth tipping. Outriders is a good example of this, but at the time news came out of the devs missing royalties, likely due to softened sales vs. the forecast, I didn't see many people pin that on the game itself having a myriad of self-inflicted issues. In fact a lot of people blamed GamePass suppressing its sales, but if so then GamePass was in fact doing its job: amplifying quality releases, and exposing weaker ones (we're not gonna get into Square-Enix's questionable practices as a publisher here).

Some people think GamePass is meant to be an equalizer, but they may not know what that truly means. IMO, it means that services like GP remove the blanket of marketing glitz for otherwise mediocre games that would get a pass into tricking a customer of purchase through the traditional model, because they could fool that person with slick ads, or paid reviews, obfuscating the customer from playing the game for themselves before committing to a purchase. When a game's on a service like GamePass, those type of tricks don't work as well anymore; the game has to stand on its own quality and merits to convince the user it's something they want to invest further into, whether that be time played, additional content purchased, buying the game outright, or a mixture of all three of those things.

It equalizes the field of presentation to the would-be customer, giving them an honest means of trying before buying, and the aforementioned psychological element akin to tipping in the services industries, likely being at play subconsciously among customers within the hobby of gaming as well.

Mozza

I'm getting an error every time I try to add PS5 bundle to basket
I pretty much logged in when the bundles were live, and added the bundle with the black controller for around thirty minutes or so, got to the payment page every time, all gone now however.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I think we can start to put a good perspective on what GamePass truly is: a litmus test for game quality justifying (or not justifying) a sale. Which also means it as a curation tool naturally enforces a weeding out of weaker content, because when the content is "free", people are going to value the content of higher quality to make use of their time, which is in some cases an even more limited resource than money.

There has to be a very interesting psychological effect at play here, too. As in, if a product is good enough, there are still a sizable number of people who'd want to buy it even if it's "free" in a service, just to have that sense of individual ownership and investment into something deemed of quality. It's kind of like while at a restaurant and you tip the server; you don't HAVE to do it, but if their service is exceptional, you do so anyway not just out of generosity but because you want to reward them for putting in great service. I think there's a similar mentality among a lot of gamers when it comes to buying games like FH5 even when they are providing themselves "freely" in GamePass.

Conversely, if a game has a lot of flaws, bugs, and just generally turns out to be unpleasant, then that game is likely to see a decrease in sales. The important thing to remember here is that said decrease would come due to the game's own lack of merit, in whatever areas it's lacking, again going back to the server and tipping example where if you have a server providing poor service, you'll probably decide they aren't worth tipping. Outriders is a good example of this, but at the time news came out of the devs missing royalties, likely due to softened sales vs. the forecast, I didn't see many people pin that on the game itself having a myriad of self-inflicted issues. In fact a lot of people blamed GamePass suppressing its sales, but if so then GamePass was in fact doing its job: amplifying quality releases, and exposing weaker ones (we're not gonna get into Square-Enix's questionable practices as a publisher here).

Some people think GamePass is meant to be an equalizer, but they may not know what that truly means. IMO, it means that services like GP remove the blanket of marketing glitz for otherwise mediocre games that would get a pass into tricking a customer of purchase through the traditional model, because they could fool that person with slick ads, or paid reviews, obfuscating the customer from playing the game for themselves before committing to a purchase. When a game's on a service like GamePass, those type of tricks don't work as well anymore; the game has to stand on its own quality and merits to convince the user it's something they want to invest further into, whether that be time played, additional content purchased, buying the game outright, or a mixture of all three of those things.

It equalizes the field of presentation to the would-be customer, giving them an honest means of trying before buying, and the aforementioned psychological element akin to tipping in the services industries, likely being at play subconsciously among customers within the hobby of gaming as well.
This is a massive wall of text not justified by any data. You are also exactly parroting what Piscatella said, so you are essentially presenting his "analysis" as your own.

However Piscatella didn't provide any data either, and I find his conclusion more than dubious on a massively down month. For example, Forza Horizon 5 debuted at number 4 on a game that runs on XSX, XSS, X1X and X1. It got beat by Pokemon where digital sales were not even included, and digital sales WERE included for FH5. That to me does not scream an amplification effect at all. And that's WITH all of the incentive to buy FH5 early. Remember what some were saying at the FH5 launch on this board?

We need more data, and we need actual numbers. Nobody is providing them on the Game Pass side. And I don't see how GP will be a sales amplifier at all. Why on Earth would you buy games that you have complete access to, forever? I could see it helping some smaller indie games that have a limited time exposure on the platform, but for MS first party stuff that will be available perpetually on the service? It makes no sense. People are signing up to GP to get a deal. Signing up to spend money on that service and buying games on top of that goes against everything sub services are built for. ∑e've already seen the insane splits on 3rd party games with 80/20 (or worse if I remember correctly) percentages in favor of PS over Xbox for no good reason other than GP is conditioning Xbox only games to not buy games. That is the best data we seem to have so far (I don't remember splits like that at all last gen) and those are the results we need to be going by until some other data actually presents itself to show something different.

Does Netflix increase iTunes movie purchases? I really, really doubt it.

So it will go with GP. As it seems to be doing already.

Top Bottom