• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November NPD: 3DS software spend highest ever in platform history

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not bad for a system about to hit its 6th year on the market.
and I thought they would have the worst holiday period ever...

Dammit.

Worst Holiday period ever with a new mainline Pokemon launching after Pokemon Go? What...

Bubble

Neo Member
Sometimes I wonder where Nintendo would be without Pokemon. It's good to see Pokemon continue to be the powerhouse that it is.

Not bad for a system about to hit its 6th year on the market.

Worst Holiday period ever with a new mainline Pokemon launching after Pokemon Go? What...

I think it goes to show how much the console market is overemphasised as an important part of Nintendo's business. If there was a big Wii U game launching this holiday (say, Zelda) and a few Nintendo-developed 3DS games I think people would be more upbeat about Nintendo's holiday performance. I know I would, even though it was a given that Sun and Moon would do exceedingly well off the back of Pokémon Go and its own high quality. Amazing game.

Cerium

They must've busted some balls at GameFreak to get this out the door in time for the holidays after the Switch delay. Can you imagine that kind of pressure? To carry Nintendo's whole holiday season alone.

Sometimes I wonder where Nintendo would be without Pokemon. It's good to see Pokemon continue to be the powerhouse that it is.
Nintendo knows how to handle and maintain their IPs,
If Pokemon was in another company's hands it would've been milked to death and dead a long time ago.

Alex

The last time I connected with a Pokemon game was... Blue. I lapsed quite hard on it since, never could get into other entries I tried in years past but I caved on Sun and wound up really loving it.

Few friends in a very similar position. They did a great job with this one, hope it's a sign of good things to come in the future as well.

ASIS

Nintendo sure min-maxed this whole year.

E3? One game. Hundreds if not thousands rushed through the gate for their booths.

Switch reveal? 3 minute video. 20 million views.

Holiday season? One game. Most successful launch in series history.

I don't think any company would have gotten away with this.

Cerium

The last time I connected with a Pokemon game was... Blue. I lapsed quite hard on it since, never could get into other entries I tried in years past but I caved on Sun and wound up really loving it.

Few friends in a very similar position. They did a great job with this one, hope it's a sign of good things to come in the future as well.

All of this hype just makes me want Stars footage.

Nintendo knows how to handle and maintain their IPs,
If Pokemon was in another company's hands it would've been milked to death and dead a long time ago.

you do know nintendo doesn't have that much influence over the pokemon IP right? like TPC are the ones who mainly handle the IP

Nintendo sure min-maxed this whole year.

E3? One game. Hundreds if not thousands rushed through the gate for their booths.

Switch reveal? 3 minute video. 20 million views.

Holiday season? One game. Most successful launch in series history.

I don't think any company would have gotten away with this.

And every time Gaf overreacted lol.

Stencil

Between Pokemon Go, Sun & Moon and that Mario Run game, I'm really surprised at Nintendo's recent successes considering how invested I was personally in their normal output (first party 3DS & console games.)

Anything on 3DS hardware?

From VG24/7:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/12/16/pokemon-sun-moon-combined-outsold-call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-in-november-npd/ said:
Unit sales of 3DS grew 59% year-on-year, giving it six consecutive months of year-on-year growth – an amazing performance. The NES Classic Edition also sold 196,000 units in its debut month.

True Fire

They must've busted some balls at GameFreak to get this out the door in time for the holidays after the Switch delay. Can you imagine that kind of pressure? To carry Nintendo's whole holiday season alone.

Gamefreak has a very predictable output, so it's not like S&M was a last minute scramble.

vareon

I remember this E3, when Nintendo showed Pokemon Sun/Moon segment right after Zelda trailer and most people were "yeah yeah it's Pokemon, we knew it". I thought Sun/Moon would *just* be a generation, especially since there was a lot of freshness in X&Y. But Pokemon Go came and flipped everything.

Top Bottom