• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now reference to a ‘PlayStation PC launcher’ has been discovered in Spider-Man PC

ManaByte

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...auncher-has-been-discovered-in-spider-man-pc/

References to a “PlayStation PC launcher” have been found within the files of Marvel’s Spider-ManRemastered, which launched on PC last week, suggesting that such a platform could be in Sony’s future plans.

VGC has verified the files and seen the reference to the PlayStation PC launcher.

Hopefully they implement a PlayAnywhere type system where if you buy the PS game you get the PC version with it.

SeraphJan

giphy.gif

hlm666

They should get some input from Honda, their motogp bike this year has been launching their riders to the moon. Wait Sony should BUY Honda to get their software engineers aswell for maximum launching velocity.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Why? You can play xbox games on steam, I don't see why they shouldn't continue to be released on steam.

PC is not a walled garden.
PC gamers tend to despise additional launchers from what I noticed all these years.
I think launchers doesnt affect console as much, but it does get annoying on PC.
So they like to "protest" by downrating a game on steam.

ManaByte

PC gamers tend to despise additional launchers from what I noticed all these years.
I think launchers doesnt affect console as much, but it does get annoying on PC.
Most normal people don’t really care how their game gets installed.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Imagine they charge more money for playing online through their launcher.

Last edited:
The vast majority of PC players will pass on this unless Sony offers many incentives (play anywhere, trophy system, good regional pricing...) and even then it's gonna be tough to convince them to use a different launcher. All the other publishers have failed, only Epic is still stubborn and likely bleeding money like crazy.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Have you noticed that whenever there is a huge launch, the companies put their tricks in secret?

It is the concern that will happen with God of war, let's see what surprise Sony and his devil give us

The rootkit scandal is too fresh in my mind to ever trust a launcher from them. I know it was a long time ago, but other than console games or their games thru Stream, no thanks.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
By 'reference' they are referring to “PSNAccountLinked” and “PSNLinkingEntitlements”? Maybe TC shouldn't spread their stupidity around.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
a9u005P.jpg
WD5pR5d.jpg

ya2UyRv.jpg

Games are available on xbox app/origin, all have good reviews. (a infinite has mixed because of lack of content.

Shifty

I'm all for it so long as they take the MS approach and release their game on multiple clients. They got to keep their crappy fisher price store that barely works, and benefitted from selling to multiple playerbases. Win win win.

I imagine Sony would be setting themselves up for a shitstorm if they walked back their Steam releases at this point.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
So your telling me the pc can play tons of emulators it's backwards compatible it gets Xbox exclusives day one and it may get a PlayStation launcher. It also has as a shit ton of mods including the popular GTA Five M. Wow PCs really suck.......

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
It's not another launcher. It's a tool to implement cross-play, saves, achievements and so on. People don't seem to bother with Xbox Live on Steam.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think they will take the rockstar approach. Launch games on their own launcher first then release them on Steam later. Probably keep their upcoming GaaS games on there so they don’t have to give valve a cut of micro transactions.

AllBizness

Banned
PC launcher fanboys is the stupidest shit ever and I doubt anyone cares unless Sony takes their games off Steam which I doubt because they llike money

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Don’t like all the different launchers, but this makes perfect sense for them to do if they’re going to continue with all the PC releases. It’ll probably allow for a lot of Ps5/PC synergy.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

If this is some tool to enable their playstation gamepass thingy on PC then fine. But if it is just another store it will be ignored.

According to Colin Moriarty such a system is "asinine".

It kind of is, if you actually prioritize software sales. It basically cuts out a lot of revenue and doesn't account for costs in associated labor for porting between different platforms or adding features to take advantage of the platforms being ported to.

Once again, people cannot take the way Microsoft do certain things in the gaming space as the "fully sensible" way to do them from a business POV because gaming revenue accounts for peanuts of MS's total company revenue. They can essentially afford to tank any such losses in distributing PC-specific and console-specific software SKUs. Companies like Sony and Nintendo, where gaming actually accounts for a much bigger part of their revenue (or virtually all of it, in Nintendo's case) can't necessarily justify that type of model considering other company sectors don't generate enough revenue to offset potential losses.

I do think Sony will provide a discount for those who buy both PS & PC versions though, so maybe instead of full-priced on both you get a 10% discount on both in some bundle. Somewhat similar to the discount Microsoft provides for purchased games that are currently in the GamePass rotation.

Shared licenses and saves are coming! Buy on PS5, play on PC, save on PS5, continue on PC.
👌

Sure, if you buy the game on PS5 and also the PC version. Cross-buy as a business model just doesn't make much sense when you think about it, unless you're a company that already gains very little from those sales in the first place.

Anywhere else you look, Cross-buy isn't a thing. Sony used to do it with PS3 and there was little traction. Nintendo doesn't do it (otherwise they'd of allowed Switch owners who bought Mario Kart, Smash etc. on Wii U to get the Switch version for free), Rockstar doesn't do it (GTA5; 'nuff said), even Bethesda don't do it (all those Skyrim re-releases; you really think many of those aren't from people who already bought it on PS3, 360, PS4 etc.?).

Not sure why people expect Sony to buck that trend just because Microsoft has. Microsoft's 1P software simply wasn't selling at high volumes in the first place, game software revenue has historically been a pittance for their bottom line so losing some quarters out a bag of quarters means little when you're mainly trading Benjamins. That's the real reason they allow Cross-buy.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Haters gonna hate. I have no problem with another launcher if it has regional prices.
meh i dont think ppl have an issue with a sony launcher on PC since we want their games on PC. its shit like egs that doesnt warrant it. either way if you can still buy on steam its great, but with launcher money will probably go all to sony and that benefits them, mo money. am down with it too.

HTK

Banned
I was hoping they would have their own launcher. I've been using the PS Store since it first came out and want all my purchases tied to that even when I'm on PC.

Top Bottom