• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now reference to a ‘PlayStation PC launcher’ has been discovered in Spider-Man PC

Flutta

Banned
Sony looks to me like a headless chicken. Do we really need one more launcher for a couple of games? Just put your games on steam/EGS like you’re doing. I mean most PC games still dont have PS Button prompts, get your shit together Sony 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Sony looks to me like a headless chicken. Do we really need more launchers for a couple of games? Just put your games on steam/EGS like you’re doing. I mean most PC games still dont have PS Button prompts, get your shit together Sony 🤦🏻‍♂️
I don't think PlayStation Launcher would be just for their games, if they went their route that's just stupid. But if their launcher is basically the PlayStation Store you have on PS5 with PC versions of the games, I'm all in.

Flutta

Banned
I don't think PlayStation Launcher would be just for their games, if they went their route that's just stupid. But if their launcher is basically the PlayStation Store you have on PS5 with PC versions of the games, I'm all in.
Sure, but the majority would still choose steam to play 3party games still. I mean Sony releases their games on steam anyways.
Lets say they start releasing their first party games first on their own PC plattform. Even so that wont sway the majority of PC gamers. We are stubborn like that 😅.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
It'd be nice if games were cheaper on their launcher...a la GOG

A man can dream.
Lol, have you seen their prices on PS store?
Hungry Season 6 GIF by Friends

HTK

Banned
Sure, but the majority would still choose steam to play 3party games still. I mean Sony releases their games on steam anyways.
Lets say they start releasing their first party games first on their own PC plattform. Even so that wont sway the majority of PC gamers. We are stubborn like that 😅.

That's fine, but me as a PlayStation customer that plays on PC would use their store so it's all tied across all my platforms PC and Console (PS5) to one account, my PSN. Also, this will allow me to communicate with friends on PS but that's also going to be solved by Discord. I also think if PlayStation has their launcher, they will pull their first party games from Steam, I think it would be stupid to do that but it makes sense if you have your own launcher I guess.

I'm not a fan of all these launchers on PC its my biggest pet peeve, but I'm also not engrained on Steam either even though I have like 100 games on it, I hate Steams interface and store. So for me I'd like to see a PS Launcher.

Hari Seldon

Rolling their own launcher means they will have to spend a ton of money to market their PC games. The marketing value of being on steam is enormous. So they will have to either put out their PC games the same day as console to wombo combo the marketing, or spend extra money to independently market their PC game releases to drive people to the store.

Last edited:

jm89

I'm sure some pc gamers won't buy their stuff if they go this route. But doubt Sony will care too much they have their breadwinner psn, pc is side revenue and they can afford to do this.

Pejo

They started getting a bit confident seeing GoW numbers, seeing that 30% go to Steam and thought

FYHb8K8UUAMSsqs

Still, if the people behind the Windows OS couldn't make a successful launcher/store, and have turned to Steam, I don't know what hope Sony has. Really hope they don't decide to pursue it.

Barakov

If they're still going to release on Steam then there's no problem. This is a far cry from stuff being exclusive to a launcher.

If their launcher doesn't carry over your profile, friends lists, trophies, share features, etc. from console then why waste time/money on this?

If it DOES bring all that functionality over to PC...

Lets Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best - let me have this dream please. PS+ Premium game library on PC is coming too. Smaller library obviously but I know it’ll happen, zero doubt.

Then you may dream.

You PCMR eventually buckle. Look at Steam.

Rolling their own launcher means they will have to spend a ton of money to market their PC games. The marketing value of being on steam is enormous. So they will have to either put out their PC games the same day as console to wombo combo the marketing, or spend extra money to independently market their PC game releases to drive people to the store.

Exactly, and which of those two options sounds the more logical & economical route?

All the people who have been either predicting or asking for Day-and-Date PS 1P releases on PC, how do they think that ends up happening? There's no path for it unless it's with Sony's own launcher & storefront. That's the only potentially viable path.

If it has cross-buy? Why not? Then they'll lose their "second-dippers".

Yeah, that's why they will probably not do cross-buy. But I can see them providing PS/PC discounts for those who buy both versions of games. It'd probably be a bit like Microsoft's GamePass discounts for people who buy games currently in rotation on the service.

Sony could offer two tiers of discounts, too. One for those without PS+ subs and one for those with PS+ subscriptions. I think that'd be a good compromise.

I want this, I don't give a shit anymore, I have 6 launchers installed already (Steam, GoG, Amazon, Origin, Xbox, Epic) another one ain't going to make any difference.

If they charged the same price and offered crossbuy I would give their store preference every single time and would have more incentive for buying games on PlayStation.

With that said, they'll probably botch it by being greedy and charging extra for crossbuy.

Having their own PC storefront would be great for them to provide a portable solution (something like the Steam Deck) as well as make it easier for them to set up their cloud infrastructure (by not limiting them to PlayStation hardware). Too bad I don't trust Jimbo to have such a long term vision.

Last edited:

ViolentP

It’ll likely have a launcher to integrate with their trophy and friends systems. Having another launcher is also a non-issue.

Top Bottom