• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that I think about it: Is the Oculus Quest the first digital-only console?

Wonko_C

DWum8Y7.jpg

Yes, the PSP Go and Xbox One SAD edition exist, but those are digital-only versions of already existing consoles with games you can get physically. The only way to access the Oculus Quest's growing library is by purchasing them from the Oculus Store. So that would make it the first truly all-digital, game-oriented console, wouldn't it?

(Unless there's something totally obscure I didn't know about or my memory is just that bad)

magnumpy

everyone hates "digital only" games, but if you think about it all these games are digital only. if it's something that's being run by a computer, whether that's a console or a PC or a cellphone, it's 100% digital. only.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
everyone hates "digital only" games, but if you think about it all these games are digital only. if it's something that's being run by a computer, whether that's a console or a PC or a cellphone, it's 100% digital. only.

I don't think this is particularly brilliant, but you've got got good intentions and I respect that at some level.

Romulus

Nope, but its definitely my favorite out of everything listed in this thread. And with the ability to play high end PC games on it now its only getting better.

Last edited:

intbal

It was Japan-only, and some may disqualify it on a technicality (didn't function standalone), but it was digital-only and had its own game library (ports, enhanced ports, and some exclusives).

The Nintendo Satellaview BS-X from 1995.

F9MxAum.jpg

Birdo

Banned
All games are digital, so technically............... (Had to be that guy).

Come to think of it, why DO we call internet distribution "Digital" when even carts are digital?

Last edited:

magnumpy

All games are digital, so technically............... (Had to be that guy).

Come to think of it, why DO we call internet distribution "Digital" when even carts are digital?

technically, it's all just binary information. 1's and 0's. which I guess is digital too ._.

iPhone comes to mind, and oculus go was a thing before quest.
Console though. The iPhone was marketed as a smartphone, and the Go was marketed as a media viewer. Quest is marketed as a console.

Hey, don't worry folks. Smellovision in VR will enable you to go to Virtual GameStop in the metaverse, buy a game, go back to your virtual house, and smell that good new game smell fresh out of the plastic wrapping, just before you put it in your VirtualStation 7.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Psp go was amazing
Agreed. Still have mine and flip it open occasionally to play some Final Fantasy on a screen smaller than my cell phone.

Top Bottom