• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2022: 5% Decline in SW, Double Digit growth in HW Rev. PS5 #1 in Unit and Revenue and Spider-man back at #3

GHG

Gold Member
Incredible astroturfing network, the OGs of the game.

Honestly the difference between the bullshit that's spread on this forum (and others I'm sure) and what real world consumers are actually doing regarding console purchases is staggering.

They do a really good job of making it seem like Xbox is taking over and that Sony is in the mud. Credit where credit is due, they almost had me fooled.

dDoc

larry hagman 80s GIF

After seeing SpiderMan hitting no 3, this is defo not the relaxed pose BryanK adopted.

Honestly, MS will be overjoyed to where they are VS where they expected to be this gen. theres been multiple reports on various podcasts that speaking to a lot of MS staff that they didnt expect to be anywhere near as close to Sony this gen as they are. We all know, including them that this is solely down to Sony not being able to manufacture enough PS5s and series S performing crazy well in the pandemic. This is not going to be a 2 to 1 beating like last gen, Microsoft sees that as a massive win. Microsoft will never beat a worldwide number VS sony, its jjust not possible. Not for a long time if ever.

What is crazy is to see microsoft performing so well with having literally no first party big releases this year.

Sony has launched GT7, Horizon and soon to be god of war and it doesnt look like they are pulling away with 2 to 1 numbers etc. Xbox is still selling, and selling extremely well. All three majors are eating this generation and thats a win for all of them.

I cant wait to see what sony has for 2023 because we literally know nothing.

dgJjWNu.gif

Thirty7ven

Banned
Honestly the difference between the bullshit that's spread on this forum (and others I'm sure) and what real world consumers are actually doing regarding console purchases is staggering.

They do a really good job of making it seem like Xbox is taking over and that Sony is in the mud. Credit where credit is due, they almost had me fooled.

Still remember pre launch how well known media members, including PS friendly YouTube channels like Kinda funny were saying there was a lot more hype for Xbox Series and how Sony had a problem with the PS5.

It’s amazing how these narratives just pop up.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Lol at Sosokrates Sosokrates salty ass post being removed.
It's hilarious the double standard that people can circle jerk ps5 "winning" in console sales but when I mention that how irrelevant it is because of that fact the Microsoft is a trillion dollar company, that is suddenly "console warring" such double standards.

Well if this thread is just an echo chamber of console waring posts about ps5 "winning" so be it..

Last edited:
It's hilarious the double standard that people can circle jerk ps5 "winning" in console sales but when I mention that how irrelevant it is because of that fact the Microsoft is a trillion dollar company, that is suddenly "console warring" such double standards.

Well if this thread is just an echo chamber of console waring posts about ps5 "winning" so be it..

Come on man. Your post was only to stir up console and corporation wars and would have derailed the thread. It was pure bait. Mods did their job deleting it.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

You do understand that the vast majority of MS worth has nothing to do with Xbox right? It's completely irrelevant.

Last edited:
https://www.vg247.com/xbox-one-micr...ion-lifetime-sales-100-million-xbox-360-units

"Microsoft's senior vice president of Interactive Entertainment Business Yusuf Mehdi has stated that given the broad multimedia focus of Xbox One, there's no reason why it can't shift between 400 million and 1 billion consoles in its lifetime."

They came up JUST short.

That's not what he said. This is just bad journalism. Read his actual quotes. What you are quoting isn't what the Microsoft exec said, but the journalist's horribly inaccurate interpretation of what was said. He was referring to all consoles, not just Xbox consoles, but the whole industry. And he specifically cites expanding beyond console when he mentions 1 billion, meaning not just console, but PC, mobile, cloud etc.

You really think he was suggesting Xbox 360 would sell 300 million when he cites current gen
? When he isolated 360 he said he expected 360 to reach 100 million. When he mentions current gen and 300 million he was talking about PS3, 360, and Nintendo collectively hitting 300 million. The console industry in total.

Then he said in the Xbox One generation they could all collectively reach 400 million. He was never speaking about Xbox One alone.
"Every generation, as you've probably heard, has grown approximately 30%. So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units. That's if it's a game console, over the next decade.

"We think you can go broader than a game console, that's our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That's how we're thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward."

He's saying the industry, and thus Xbox also, has an opportunity to be able to reach upwards of 1 billion gamers. They were never literally saying Xbox One alone sells 1 billion. To believe that Microsoft was ever suggesting they would sell 1 billion Xbox One consoles is to believe they were saying Xbox 360 had sold 300 million consoles when they mention "this generation is about 300 million units."

Games Journalists are bad at their job. Surprise, surprise.

Last edited:

yazenov

Its hilarious that you think MS being a trillion-dollar company is relevant in a gaming forum.

The "war chest" and their success outside of gaming didn't help them with Xbox sales and they ended up in 3rd place again.

Klayzer

Well if this thread is just an echo chamber of console waring posts about "winning" so be it..
Microsoft being a trillion dollar company, has no bearing on a NPD thread. Your post was probably removed because, it was dripping with salt and a standard Xbox fanatic shitpost.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Xbox fans have been celebrating NPD wins over PS5 for the first half of this year and I don't see anyone's comments getting removed over that.

SLB1904

Banned

kill-me.gif

AlexxKidd

And in threads like this with the undisputed facts they will be very quiet. Facts don't line up with narrative. Like the Buffalo Bills fans they are it'll be all about next season. Of course, when the next season comes it'll be all about the next next season.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I mean if all else fails, resort to acquisitions, amirite?

Your post was about MS buying Sony.

C'mon.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And in threads like this with the undisputed facts they will be very quiet. Facts don't line up with narrative. Like the Buffalo Bills fans they are it'll be all about next season. Of course, when the next season comes it'll be all about the next next season.
Bills look good this season though. As a Miami fan, the Fins have a real test this weekend at home. The comeback against the Ravens was nice though, and hopefully they bring that momentum.

GHG

Gold Member

Good lord...

And look at who is here to support this nonsense:

jo9vmYc.jpg

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

I'm an Arsenal supporter, I know the feeling all too well.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
They said they wanted to reach a billion players across gaming. Mobile etc.

A lot of people can only see console sales and don't understand that Microsoft are looking much bigger and broader.

Hence buying King
King is already reaching all these customers on mobile. Same for Acti with COD and Diablo Eternal. They don't need MS help.

MS just wants to add them to their spreadsheet and say "we did it!" like it's their customers.

Three

That's not what he said. This is just bad journalism. Read his actual quotes. What you are quoting isn't what the Microsoft exec said, but the journalist's horribly inaccurate interpretation of what was said. He was referring to all consoles, not just Xbox consoles, but the whole industry. And he specifically cites expanding beyond console when he mentions 1 billion, meaning not just console, but PC, mobile, cloud etc.

You really think he was suggesting Xbox 360 would sell 300 million when he cites current gen
? When he isolated 360 he said he expected 360 to reach 100 million. When he mentions current gen and 300 million he was talking about PS3, 360, and Nintendo collectively hitting 300 million. The console industry in total.

Then he said in the Xbox One generation they could all collectively reach 400 million. He was never speaking about Xbox One alone.

He's saying the industry, and thus Xbox also, has an opportunity to be able to reach upwards of 1 billion gamers. They were never literally saying Xbox One alone sells 1 billion. To believe that Microsoft was ever suggesting they would sell 1 billion Xbox One consoles is to believe they were saying Xbox 360 had sold 300 million consoles when they mention "this generation is about 300 million units."

Games Journalists are bad at their job. Surprise, surprise.

He was wrong on many levels. Consoles did not reach 400M and even if we say very generously that GP/xcloud is currently at 100M subs it's still nowhere near 1B.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
He was wrong on many levels. Consoles did not reach 400M and even if we say very generously that GP/xcloud is currently at 100M subs it's still nowhere near 1B.
That would be very generous. The last official gp numbers had them at 25.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
King is already reaching all these customers on mobile. Same for Acti with COD and Diablo Eternal. They don't need MS help.

MS just wants to add them to their spreadsheet and say "we did it!" like it's their customers.
er, they said they wanted to reach a billion players. thats exactly why they are buying king. yes, you are right lol.

Nautilus

Banned
Holy shit Xenoblade. You managed to get a position at number 10, even without the launch day/week numbers!

Not only that, but you also did that without digital, which should account for half of the total sales!

XC 3 should be huge. I fully expect for XC 3 to do at least 2 million units when Nintendo has its financial report, and if it somehow does 3 million.... I mean, its possible with this performance.

Mr Moose

The f does that have to do with console sales? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
They said they wanted to reach a billion players across gaming. Mobile etc.

A lot of people can only see console sales and don't understand that Microsoft are looking much bigger and broader.

Hence buying King
"Every generation, as you've probably heard, has grown approximately 30%," he said. "So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units. That's if it's a game console, over the next decade."

Moreover, Medhi thinks the general entertainment capabilities of Xbox One and PS4 will more than double their selling power. "We think you can go broader than a game console, that's our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units [Update: just to clarify, he's talking about all next gen consoles combined here]. That's how we're thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward."
Official Xbox Magazine quote.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The supply lines are moving. The demand is there.

Switch is 6 years old. PS5 is reaching prime and is the most desired hardware by a landslide right now.
I wouldn't say by a landslide, as the Switch is still ahead for the year. But yeah, PS5 is naturally going to sell more, as its a 2 year old system vs a 6 year old system(which also happens to be on its way to be THE best selling of all time)

Obviously, I tried to also respond and now the post is gone, lol.

Someone saw it and said.

lucious lyon wtf GIF

This one is just this.

Chuck Norris Karate Kick GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And looks like the king is back to take its throne. Series S isn't gonna save MS now that consoles are finally somewhat on shelved. I'm just shocked at how fast the ps5 is selling even with the massive crossgen library

I wouldn't say by a landslide, as the Switch is still ahead for the year. But yeah, PS5 is naturally going to sell more, as its a 2 year old system vs a 6 year old system(which also happens to be on its way to be THE best selling of all time)

Switch on the decline but still sells over 20m in a year. Crazy! I expect PS5 will hit over 20m next fiscal year too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom