• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD/Circana US March 2023: PS5 #1 (now ahead of PS4 when aligned), RE4#1, MLB#3 and TLOU #5

JackSparr0w

Banned
Fortnite is multiplatform. You seemed more reasonable making your Elden ring case. Albeit 44% PC vs 40% PS sales isn't much to base said argument on, on the one game.

If comments like these are reflective of the `mature` PC gamers...
What can I say when someone tries to make fun of CS GO when the biggest Playstation game is a kiddie game like Fortnite :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Resident Evil 4 has always been a console game. New non established IPs sell better on PC, its where all the innovation and new trends start see also PUBG, survival and extraction games ;)

cp-20277.jpg

Last edited:

yazenov

What can I say when someone tries to make fun of CS GO when the biggest Playstation game is a kiddie game like Fortnite :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Resident Evil 4 has always been a console game. New non established IPs sell better on PC, its where all the innovation and new trends start see also PUBG, survival and extraction games ;)

cp-20277.jpg

Cyberpunk was removed from the PS store for being a junk. Im sure that hasn't effected it sales on the platform at all :p

"In a historical move, Sony removed Cyberpunk 2077 from the PlayStation store last year. When the highly anticipated CD Projekt Red title officially launched, it did so with numerous bugs, especially on previous-gen consoles — the Xbox One, and of course, the PlayStation 4. The ports suffered technical issues so severe they nearly made the games unplayable in some cases. "

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Resident Evil 4 has always been a console game. New non established IPs sell better on PC ;)

cp-20277.jpg
Kiddie game? Are you like 15 or something?

And you see that `new non-established IPs nonsense... if you ever find yourself ending to do that to make a generalized point, then know you are moving posts. and your cyberpunk argument is fully without context. Which just says you are less interested in the facts of any matter and more interested in just being right.

Anyways, whatever rocks your boat...

Last edited:

Woopah

Plus a snowball effect, I mentioned this a few times when sony was sending nothing to markets they have locked in, for competitive markets getting the early cod, gta, sports early adaptors is crucial as they influence the casual cod gta, Sports only players that buy to play where their friends do
Absolutely, I'd say that's part of my point around marketing deals with the big third party games.
Not sure what this list is or where it came from from.

MW2? The best selling PC games of last year were Elden Ring, Valheim, Escape from Tarkov, Monster Hunter Rise and Dying light 2.
The numbers are from SELL which tracks the French market. It is likely that smaller publishers don't share their data with the tracker, but from the games you mentioned the numbers we do know are:

Monster Hunter Rise - 22,508
Elden Ring - 105,552

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
NPD has been moving more and more numbers behind its payeall for years now. There is 0 evidence that it has anything to do with Microsoft.

For example, NPD stopped sharing hardware data in 2010 when PlayStation systems were being regularly outsold by Nintendo and Microsoft. That doesn't mean Sony influenced NPD's decision.

PlayStation has a stronger brand, more appealing exclusive content and marketing deals with big third party games.

It's that simple.
Last gen when they started with consoles, Mat made a comment that it was done behind corporate paywalls to satisfy their partner(s). The only one not releasing units sold was MS. Again with the software splits situation. They are PS2/OG Xbox era dire, and that new hiding of info came just weeks after MS announced that GP is cannibalizing game sales to regulators.

The only one of the big 3 who has been shy about releasing consoles and software numbers now, is MS. Not hard to draw a conclusion on the two ironic items they want hidden from the public.

Last edited:

Woopah

Last gen when they started with consoles, Mat made a comment that it was done behind corporate paywalls to satisfy their partner(s). The only one not releasing units sold was MS. Again with the software splits situation. They are PS2/OG Xbox era dire, and that new hiding of info came just weeks after MS announced that GP is cannibalizing game sales to regulators.

The only one of the big 3 who has been shy about releasing consoles and software numbers now, is MS. Not hard to draw a conclusion on the two ironic items they want hidden from the public.
NPD stopped revealing hardware numbers in 2010, at a time when PlayStation was being consistently being outsold by Nintendo and Microsoft. Microsoft would continue sharing Xbox hardware numbers for another 6 years.

I don't think we can say with any certainty that the loss of platform specific charts or the loss of hardware figures is because of Microsoft.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
NPD stopped revealing hardware numbers in 2010, at a time when PlayStation was being consistently being outsold by Nintendo and Microsoft. Microsoft would continue sharing Xbox hardware numbers for another 6 years.

I don't think we can say with any certainty that the loss of platform specific charts or the loss of hardware figures is because of Microsoft.
So what partners wanted it shut down then? Considering Nintendo and Sony were releasing numbers to the public on their own still after? Must have been the Ouya.

You sure. I remember getting npd numbers up until the early ps4/xone era. You must be mixing it up with when sony were mixing in both vita and ps3 shipments in their financial reports.

Last edited:

cp-20277.jpg
Very impressive Cyberpunk sold better on PC than PSN where it ran so poorly, Sony forced them to stop selling it altogether.

Golf clap.

Australia 10th to 16th
1. GTA V
2. NBA 2K23
3. COD MW2
4. RDR2
5. MK8 Deluxe
6. Hogwarts Legacy
7. Resident Evil 4
8. TLOU2
9. FIFA 23
10. PGA Tour 2K23

New Zealand 10th to 16th

1. GTA V
2. NBA 2K23
3. COD MW2
4. Hogwarts Legacy
5. RDR2
6. TLOU2
7. PGA 2K23
8. RE 4
9. Riders Republic
10. Far Cry 6

https://igea.net/

Woopah

So what partners wanted it shut down then? Considering Nintendo and Sony were releasing numbers to the public on their own still after? Must have been the Ouya.
Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo were all releasing hardware numbers afterwards. Microsoft announced it would stop sharing 5 years later.

The NPD's decision was for hardware and software, so the partner could have been a third party publisher(s).
You sure. I remember getting npd numbers up until the early ps4/xone era. You must be mixing it up with when sony were mixing in both vita and ps3 shipments in their financial reports.
Here's the article from 2010 https://www.eurogamer.net/npd-to-stop-publishing-us-sales-figures

After that we had to get numbers from PR or leaks.

MrA

Banned
Australia 10th to 16th
1. GTA V
2. NBA 2K23
3. COD MW2
4. RDR2
5. MK8 Deluxe
6. Hogwarts Legacy
7. Resident Evil 4
8. TLOU2
9. FIFA 23
10. PGA Tour 2K23

New Zealand 10th to 16th

1. GTA V
2. NBA 2K23
3. COD MW2
4. Hogwarts Legacy
5. RDR2
6. TLOU2
7. PGA 2K23
8. RE 4
9. Riders Republic
10. Far Cry 6

https://igea.net/
I've said it before and I'll say it again, this will be the best selling game on the ps5 and xbox sx probably would be 2 or 3 on the switch 2 as well

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo were all releasing hardware numbers afterwards. Microsoft announced it would stop sharing 5 years later.

The NPD's decision was for hardware and software, so the partner could have been a third party publisher(s).

Here's the article from 2010 https://www.eurogamer.net/npd-to-stop-publishing-us-sales-figures

After that we had to get numbers from PR or leaks.
I would buy that it was a third party publisher, if t wasn't for the fact that all of then share their splits when they publicly release earnings reports.

Woopah

I would buy that it was a third party publisher, if t wasn't for the fact that all of then share their splits when they publicly release earnings reports.
Hardly any third party shares platform splits for games in their quarterly report. Most of them don't even share sales data for individual games.

One of the few who do is Caocom, but the vast majority of the other major ones do not. Which publishers do you mean?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hardly any third party shares platform splits for games in their quarterly report. Most of them don't even share sales data for individual games.

One of the few who do is Caocom, but the vast majority of the other major ones do not. Which publishers do you mean?
When did the splits stop then? We used to get Activision and Ubisoft splits all the time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do you have any links to that? I don't remember seeing Ubisoft or Activision break down sales of games per platform on a regular basis
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ps5-ps4-dominate-ubisoft-sales-assassin’s-creed-valhalla-generates-second-highest-profit-ever-for-ubi.1622357/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ps5-ps4-dominate-ubisoft-sales-assassin’s-creed-valhalla-generates-second-highest-profit-ever-for-ubi.1622357/page-2#post-264925789

And in the past they used different excel like charts as well.

Last edited:

Woopah

Thanks, that's really useful! Though as they use %s and not actual numbers, they still could have wanted NPD to stop releasing the figures.

I'm not saying it definitely was Ubisoft, just they we don't really have any way of knowing who it was.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks, that's really useful! Though as they use %s and not actual numbers, they still could have wanted NPD to stop releasing the figures.

I'm not saying it definitely was Ubisoft, just they we don't really have any way of knowing who it was.
You're welcome.

%s are splits, I was not referring to actual unit numbers. NPD did not release number either, but platform splits. Something that they stopped a month ago. Just seems all too coincidental, is all.

Less info is no fun for these types of threads.

Last edited:

Woopah

You're welcome.

%s are splits, I was not referring to actual unit numbers. NPD did not release number either, but platform splits. Something that they stopped a month ago. Just seems all too coincidental, is all.

Less info is no fun for these types of threads.
NPD used to share actual software numbers, and break them down by platform. See here for example https://www.neogaf.com/threads/npd-sales-results-for-november-2009.381970/

Then they stopped sharing both software and hardware figures at the end of 2010.

Regarding what NPD stopped sharing recently, it was the top 10 rankings for each platform. We didn't get a % split of games or platform from NPD (we do from the Europe tracker though).

Woopah

Yeah, it's all speculation at this point but who currently stands to gain the most from sales trackers releasing less information? It doesn't take Sherlock Homes to answer this question.
NPD I would say.

If we were focusing only on platform holders then it would be Sony in 2010 and Microsoft now. But I don't really see how Microsoft would be hurt by people on forums seeing the top 10 Xbox games with 0 figures.

yazenov

NPD I would say.

If we were focusing only on platform holders then it would be Sony in 2010 and Microsoft now. But I don't really see how Microsoft would be hurt by people on forums seeing the top 10 Xbox games with 0 figures.

But NPD already got their money.

I would agree that in 2010 Sony was the most to gain from hiding numbers but in 2023 it's all MS. Perception is key, and MS is trying their best to avoid the perception of failure to the general public and news websites that may report such numbers to the masses. That is why they hide their numbers in their financials, unlike Sony and Nintendo.

With regards to the platform-specific top ten, MS stands to gain the most for not showing the public that Game pass affects game sales. Imagine day 1 Gamepass games don't chart in the Xbox top 10 or top 20. Yeah, perception of failure and Gamepass cannibalizing software sales.

Woopah

But NPD already got their money.

I would agree that in 2010 Sony was the most to gain from hiding numbers but in 2023 it's all MS. Perception is key, and MS is trying their best to avoid the perception of failure to the general public and news websites that may report such numbers to the masses. That is why they hide their numbers in their financials, unlike Sony and Nintendo.

With regards to the platform-specific top ten, MS stands to gain the most for not showing the public that Game pass affects game sales. Imagine day 1 Gamepass games don't chart in the Xbox top 10 or top 20. Yeah, perception of failure and Gamepass cannibalizing software sales.
Right, but NPD get more money if they convince more companies/investors to subscribe to get data.

Having said that, yes your Gamepass point can make sense. For example, Persona 5 in October charted on Switch but not Xbox.

Poltz

cp-20277.jpg
Can console players play the Witcher 1 and 2?

onQ123

cp-20277.jpg
I don't even care about what you 2 are going back & forth about but this is PS4 & Xbox One in 2020 when PS5 & Series X/S was out & the next gen patch didn't come until 2022

Last edited:
Say what you will about Nintendo, but even during the dark times of the Wii U they never stopped sharing, reporting hardware numbers.

I wonder if Microsoft will ever disclose xbox one lifetime sales? Nobody knows and everyone guesses around 50m, which isn't terribly bad. I mean sony had vita and Nintendo had wii u. Both total flops.

What would be the benefit to us gamers to get that information? Would it make their games more fun to play or help them release titles more frequently?
It would build (or lose) confidence in the brand going forward. That's why these companies shout the numbers from the rooftop when they're good and keep their heads low when they aren't.

This isn't specific to just gaming either.

I promise, if an Xbox console ever breaks the 100 million mark, that's not something Xbox will keep to themselves.

Last edited:

ulantan

I'm don't think that's how it works. They have already stopped making X1 titles and they are well aware of how the X Series consoles are selling currently.
Microsoft's own shareholders aren't given the numbers so other companies can only make estimates

diffusionx

Gold Member
Gabe can fool you, but it can't fool Wall Street.
Valve valuation is small compared to Epic.
And yes, private companies still have valuations.
what is Valve's valuation? Epic got a valuation because it went looking for outside funding, which to my knowledge Valve did not do. The estimates that have come out over the years are totally meaningless because nobody is putting up cash based on them.

Microsoft's own shareholders aren't given the numbers so other companies can only make estimates
Pretty sure shareholders are concerned about profit margins over individual unit sales of a single series of devices. I don't think MS gives unit sales of Surface tablets just like I don't think Apple gives sales numbers of iPhones either. Pretty sure Apple shareholders aren't up in arms about that either. At this point console sales numbers here are just used for forum war fodder.

Pretty sure shareholders are concerned about profit margins over individual unit sales of a single series of devices. I don't think MS gives unit sales of Surface tablets just like I don't think Apple gives sales numbers of iPhones either. Pretty sure Apple shareholders aren't up in arms about that either. At this point console sales numbers here are just used for forum war fodder.
Saying console sales don't matter is just what people say when their console isn't selling. And to make it worse, Xbox has now stopped updating Gamepass subscriber numbers too. Basically no good news.

ulantan

Saying console sales don't matter is just what people say when their console isn't selling. And to make it worse, Xbox has now stopped updating Gamepass subscriber numbers too. Basically no good news.
Like imagine trying to figure out if you want to port and optimize your indi game to a platform, and you go to look at numbers to figure out if it's worth it. and the numbers just say "we doing ok". I wouldn't be confident.

Like imagine trying to figure out if you want to port and optimize your indi game to a platform, and you go to look at numbers to figure out if it's worth it. and the numbers just say "we doing ok". I wouldn't be confident.
Xbox probably has to tell developers the real numbers, it would just be confidential. If you want to be paid for releasing on Gamepass, for example, you would ask about expected returns, and Xbox has to give you an estimate. And you would likely give similar requests to Playstation. You just can't release the numbers to the public as a developer.

Last edited:

Microsoft shares sales when they feel they are strong.

They withhold sales when they know that they are bad.

This is a pretty common trend with their disclosures. You can read the tea leaves from whether they disclose or not, and the "profitability argument" for things like GamePass can easily be fabricated when removing the biggest operating cost they have, their studios.

Top Bottom