• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD/Circana US March 2023: PS5 #1 (now ahead of PS4 when aligned), RE4#1, MLB#3 and TLOU #5

ulantan

And Xbox has already fallen behind Xbox One in territories like US and the UK -- which constitutes like 75% of Xbox market.

Just releasing upcoming games will not do them any good. Those games will need to be significantly better than PlayStation's lineup if Xbox wants to increase its market share. Most gamers will not buy 2 consoles that share 95% of games to play a few Xbox exclusives.
That's been thier main problem for last gen and this gen. It will be interesting to see how that fix that

Topher

Gold Member
Massive seller on their ground, not global.
For global, you need brand recognition and games that these people want.

Series S sold well when Series X and PS5 were no where to be found. But now, even in the US, Series S, which has been widely available for months, isn't moving the needle for Xbox. At the same time, PS5 is thriving. Of course, the lack of major game releases from first party studios for over a year and a half certainly isn't helping.

Jez Corden wrote another article on the state of Xbox. It isn't pretty. Won't start another thread about it, but I'll link it here.

You know, the issue with you is that you keep saying the things that we know and can see don't matter, while in the same breath saying the things e actually don't know and no one has any idea of does.

Ah well, guess we will see.
Things you know and see don't matter? What? People keep saying console doesn't matter but I've never said that. It's obvious that the usual Xbox detractors don't know the inner workings of MS so I'm not sure what you're even talking about.

What is true is we'll absolutely see if the MS numerous studios and IP result in many games worth playing. If HiFi Rush is any indicator I'm thinking actual Xbox customers will have plenty of quality games to play. Which was the complaint in the first place. 'Xbox has no games.'

feynoob

Banned
Series S sold well when Series X and PS5 were no where to be found. But now, even in the US, Series S, which has been widely available for months, isn't moving the needle for Xbox. At the same time, PS5 is thriving. Of course, the lack of major game releases from first party studios for over a year and a half certainly isn't helping.

Jez Corden wrote another article on the state of Xbox. It isn't pretty. Won't start another thread about it, but I'll link it here.

[/URL]
Do you think this will be the same next year?
We are getting alot of AAA games from them this year. That will affect their sales alot.

feynoob

Banned
What's the gap between Xbox series and Xbox one in Japan?

Sales have absolutley tanked in Japan, it's being outsold by the PS4.
From Famitsu sales.
  1. Xbox Series S – 149 (251,426)
  2. Xbox Series X – 147 (184,583)
Xbox series X alone outsold Xbox one in japan, which was around 114k-144k last time.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
We are getting alot of AAA games from them this year. That will affect their sales alot.

Depends on how good the games are. Starfield really needs to be megahit. If it is then I think Xbox will rebound quite a bit. Well.....also depends on how much Microsoft is willing to be spend marketing and advertising their stuff. They are not doing a good job promoting the Xbox console, imo.

feynoob

Banned
Depends on how good the games are. Starfield really needs to be megahit. If it is then I think Xbox will rebound quite a bit. Well.....also depends on how much Microsoft is willing to be spend marketing and advertising their stuff. They are not doing a good job promoting the Xbox console, imo.
And that the thing with sales. XBS sales tanked due to draugh of first party. It will pick up again, once those games starts to hit the system.
It works like this.
AAA first party games= more marketing = more awareness from audience side = more sales.
If you dont have AAA games, your marketing will be less, which will affect the awareness of your system, which will tank your sales during critical period aka holidays.

We saw that during 2022, when xbox had less marketing due to no AAA games on sight.

jm89

From Famitsu sales.
  1. Xbox Series S – 149 (251,426)
  2. Xbox Series X – 147 (184,583)
Xbox series X alone outsold Xbox one in japan, which was around 114k-144k last time.
I mean it's a bit pointless if the sales have tanked. You sold that much and then barely outselling the PS4. You need sustained sales not just do good the first few years.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I mean it's a bit pointless if the sales have tanked. You sold that much and then barely outselling the PS4. You need sustained sales not just do good the first few years.
The sale tank more has to do with their output.
If this continue until the gen ends, I will agree with you. But that is not the case here.
weeks before that, they were selling alot of copies. It has more to do with their output not satifying consumers, or MS allocating less shipment to japan.

Massive seller on their ground, not global.
For global, you need brand recognition and games that these people want.

It will. It already surpassed the japan record for Xbox one. For global, it will be matter of time.

Remember that we are still on year 3, and there are still time left until the end of the gen.

You know that Japan is a tiny market for Xbox right?

I was thinking more about their most important regions.

feynoob

Banned
You know that Japan is a tiny market for Xbox right?

I was thinking more about their most important regions.
Their most important regions are not getting the games they used to get from Xbox.
Go look at 2022 Xbox output, and tell me a single person who will say that is good, I will buy xbox.

2023 is much better than that, and that is what the people from these regions want.

Starfield, forza motorsport, and 2023 scheduled games.
*redfall doesnt count*

Topher

Gold Member
And that the thing with sales. XBS sales tanked due to draugh of first party. It will pick up again, once those games starts to hit the system.
It works like this.
AAA first party games= more marketing = more awareness from audience side = more sales.
If you dont have AAA games, your marketing will be less, which will affect the awareness of your system, which will tank your sales during critical period aka holidays.

We saw that during 2022, when xbox had less marketing due to no AAA games on sight.

Yeah, but they can still do more. Microsoft could have put some effort behind marketing Hi Fi Rush even though that game isn't AAA. The game was extremely well-received and could have been an effective tool to highlight the Xbox brand. When your slate has been damn near empty and you have a gem like Hi Fi Rush at your disposal, why not take advantage of it? I don't know, man. Sometimes it feels like Microsoft is just going through the motions. Like Jez Corden said, Microsoft seems distracted.

Their most important regions are not getting the games they used to get from Xbox.
Go look at 2022 Xbox output, and tell me a single person who will say that is good, I will buy xbox.

2023 is much better than that, and that is what the people from these regions want.

Starfield, forza motorsport, and 2023 scheduled games.
*redfall doesnt count*

I don't think a couple of games will fix their issues. It will take several years of releasing games that people want to fix it.

jm89

The sale tank more has to do with their output.
If this continue until the gen ends, I will agree with you. But that is not the case here.
weeks before that, they were selling alot of copies. It has more to do with their output not satifying consumers, or MS allocating less shipment to japan.
They where selling lots of copies you mean hardware sales? They sold a few k extra just before a price rise absolutley meaningless.

The point i'm trying to get across is, japan is such a terrible region to use for xbox to say somehing like this.
It will. It already surpassed the japan record for Xbox one. For global, it will be matter of time.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Yeah, but they can still do more. Microsoft could have put some effort behind marketing Hi Fi Rush even though that game isn't AAA. The game was extremely well-received and could have been an effective tool to highlight the Xbox brand. When your slate has been damn near empty and you have a gem like Hi Fi Rush at your disposal, why not take advantage of it? I don't know, man. Sometimes it feels like Microsoft is just going through the motions. Like Jez Corden said, Microsoft seems distracted.
Unlike jez, MS sees the timeline of their games. A game like Hi-Fi isnt going to make an impact for their sales.
They are going to plan huge shipment according to their game releases to maximize their sales.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It will improve things to an extent for Xbox, for sure, but I'm not sure about the "quite a bit" part.

The reason is that it won't just be Starfield releasing in September. Spider-Man 2 will also launch in September.

Again, only very hardcore fans buy both PS and Xbox -- the casuals, with limited time and money, don't. And the large majority of those hardcore fans (who are usually early adopters) must have already bought the consoles they wanted. Now, 3 years into this gen, it will be mostly casuals / non-hardcore gamers who are buying these consoles. This is the reason why Xbox sales are now declining.

Now, what do you think the casuals will prefer? Starfield or Spider-Man 2?

Sony's marketing game is also 10/10. They will be releasing Spider-Man 2 with a new PS5 version - the marketing of which will likely start soon, as early as next month with PS Showcase.

That's why I don't think Starfield will have a big impact on it either. Spider-Man 2 -- and the promise of TLOU Online -- will steal any thunder it may have.

feynoob

Banned
They where selling lots of copies? They sold a few k extra just before a price rise absolutley meaningless.

The point i'm trying to get across is, japan is such a terrible region to use for xbox to say somehing like this.
I know its terrible region for Xbox. I was just stating this to people, who are saying XbS is in bad condition compared to Xbox one.
Xbox one couldnt even sell more than 144k on entire gen, while XbS did it in less than 3 years.

That doesnt mean they will do great numbers, its just that their current state is much better than last gen if japanese audience is willing to pay attention to Xbox.

I know its terrible region for Xbox. I was just stating this to people, who are saying XbS is in bad condition compared to Xbox one.
Xbox one couldnt even sell more than 144k on entire gen, while XbS did it in less than 3 years.

That doesnt mean they will do great numbers, its just that their current state is much better than last gen if japanese audience is willing to pay attention to Xbox.

I don't see it depending on the Japanese Market though. Their overall success will probably be dependent on the US, UK and the European market. Doing better in Japan has nothing to do with those regions since the markets are different.

Those are 2 different genre and 2 different systems.
Not everyone is super hero fan. Some people dont like super heroes at all.

You say that and then Insomniac Spider-Man went and sold over 30 million copies. Chances are there are a ton of people that want to play the sequel.

https://www.ign.com/articles/insomniac-spider-man-33-million-copies

Last edited:

ulantan

Those are 2 different genre and 2 different systems.
Not everyone is super hero fan. Some people dont like super heroes at all.
Most popular superhero on earth,and they aregonna have synergy with into the spider verse 2 its going to be massive with casual audiences.

jm89

Both xbs and xbone sales in japan are bad really. Sure you can argue it's better then xbone, but a few 100k extra sales that they got the first few years really is small in such a huge market. The rate they are going they will be lucky to even get another 100k this year. Just really meaningless globally.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Unlike jez, MS sees the timeline of their games. A game like Hi-Fi isnt going to make an impact for their sales.
They are going to plan huge shipment according to their game releases to maximize their sales.

Not every game has to be a major hit to help the brand.

Topher

Gold Member
It will improve things to an extent for Xbox, for sure, but I'm not sure about the "quite a bit" part.

The reason is that it won't just be Starfield releasing in September. Spider-Man 2 will also launch in September.

Again, only very hardcore fans buy both PS and Xbox -- the casuals, with limited time and money, don't. And the large majority of those hardcore fans (who are usually early adopters) must have already bought the consoles they wanted. Now, 3 years into this gen, it will be mostly casuals / non-hardcore gamers who are buying these consoles. This is the reason why Xbox sales are now declining.

Now, what do you think the casuals will prefer? Starfield or Spider-Man 2?

Sony's marketing game is also 10/10. They will be releasing Spider-Man 2 with a new PS5 version - the marketing of which will likely start soon, as early as next month with PS Showcase.

That's why I don't think Starfield will have a big impact on it either. Spider-Man 2 -- and the promise of TLOU Online -- will steal any thunder it may have.

We will see. As I said, I predicated that on Starfield being a megahit game. I'm talking about a 90+ metacritic score with massive marketing behind it. If that doesn't help Xbox consoles "quite a bit" then I don't know what will.

The fact that xbox has been down yoy since like November last year is a massive red flag. Its already in decline at only year 3. This isnt just a one off month. Xbox series is already in decline. Even 50m lifetime will be hard to reach now. Their audience has shrunk even more due to last generation. These are the consequences for all those years.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Not every game has to be a major hit to help the brand.
You also need marketing like these.

PS seems to have big games marketing, as those helps them put their names out for the public.

I remmeber Xbox having Cyberpunk2077 and battlefield 2042 marketing rights. I dont know why they dont have that this year.

feynoob

Banned
I don't see it depending on the Japanese Market though. Their overall success will probably be dependent on the US, UK and the European market. Doing better in Japan has nothing to do with those regions since the markets are different.
Japan matters alot, as they have hit games like FF and other big japanese games.
You dont want those games skipping your platform.

You say that and then Insomniac Spider-Man went and sold over 30 million copies. Chances are there are a ton of people that want to play the sequel.

https://www.ign.com/articles/insomniac-spider-man-33-million-copies
Most popular superhero on earth,and they aregonna have synergy with into the spider verse 2 its going to be massive with casual audiences.
Great, but that wont convince people who hate super heroes to play their games.
Starfield is for space nerds, while spiderman is for hero lovers. 2 complete different genre.
Both games will have their success in their prespective genre.

Spain 10th to 16th of April

TLOU2 selling really well all over the world is nice to see.

Also...the fact we can see 550€ PS VR2, something you need a 550€ PS5 to use , selling half of Series consoles, when it has a model for like 300€ is...something alright. That alone puts things in perspective for how bad things are for Xbox in Europe right now. Not only they don't promote the brand, people don't talk about it or buy it.

I think if GT7, Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok all came out exactly as are, just for PS5, nobody would say they didn't feel "next-gen".
When Sony did their 2020 showcase and didn't announce PS4 versions for Miles Morales, Forbidden West, GT7 etc everyone was like "YAAAAS BITCH! THIS IS NEXT GEEEENNN! look at that!" Then when they announced PS4 versions suddenly the trailers they saw didn't matter cause the games wouldn't be next gen. Then everyone was worried about how there wouldn't be flying mounts on Forbidden West because of the PS4 version...then the game comes out and you have that not only on PS5 but also on old crusty 2013 PS4 version :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Australia 10th to 16th
1. GTA V
2. NBA 2K23
3. COD MW2
4. RDR2
5. MK8 Deluxe
6. Hogwarts Legacy
7. Resident Evil 4
8. TLOU2
9. FIFA 23
10. PGA Tour 2K23

New Zealand 10th to 16th

1. GTA V
2. NBA 2K23
3. COD MW2
4. Hogwarts Legacy
5. RDR2
6. TLOU2
7. PGA 2K23
8. RE 4
9. Riders Republic
10. Far Cry 6

https://igea.net/
TLOU2 already selling as much as RE4 remake that just came out :messenger_clapping: We love a forgotten, crappy 3 year old game from a dying IP doing these numbers!

Why is Satya Nadella announcing this if consoles don’t matter.

He knew he had those few months to pull that PR statement and he did it. I'd do the same if i were him. What's interesting is to go back to GAF's topics on that with everyone quoting this, saying Xbox was in for a fight this gen because it had a great recovery, never taking into consideration PS5 was far from selling at its full potential.

[/URL]
Corden is doing these articles and you can almost see the tears running down his face honestly. Let's start by the fact that he talks about Xbox like its run by a single team of people...which are now taking care of the Activision deal so they only care about that like nothing else matters, lol. That's not how a business is run.

That said, i can't imagine even MS expected Playstation 5 to do these numbers once units were basically available everywhere. But it's really their fault only.

Here in Portugal i see Playstation Ads in literally...ATM's:

Not only are they promoting gaming discounts in there but you can buy those PS Vouchers to use on your Playstation store account. And you have this ad right when you're using your debit / credit cards. THIS is how you do marketing.
I see ads every time a football game is happening and they are already promoting Spider-Man 2 (since January with that PS5 relaunch ad), you have outdoors with Playstation promos as well. Xbox is...nowhere to be seen. Sony is going for the throat this year and they don't have to, cause they are basically alone and would have no competition anyway...

You can tell they are making up for lost time in 2023...and i can only imagine the hype once they announce their showcase for May or early June.

Japan matters alot, as they have hit games like FF and other big japanese games.
You dont want those games skipping your platform.

Well that depends how well those games sell on Xbox. If they don't sell a lot then it doesn't really matter if they skip the platform. But if they do that's a different story and will have a much bigger impact on hardware sales.
Starfield is for space nerds, while spiderman is for hero lovers. 2 complete different genre.
Both games will have their success in their prespective genre.

I don't think Sony cares about the people that hate Spider-Man. What they care about is selling a ton of copies of the game which they did last time. Over 30 million copies just to remind you.

Whether you like it or not Spider-Man has a huge impact on sales due to the popularity of the IP. Not to mention a really good dev makes those games and it gets a huge marketing push from Sony and the film industry.

Your clearly denying how impactful it is by focusing on those that hate the franchise.

jm89

CtRTed9XEAA1-ue.jpg

TLOU2 selling really well all over the world is nice to see.

Also...the fact we can see 550€ PS VR2, something you need a 550€ PS5 to use , selling half of Series consoles, when it has a model for like 300€ is...something alright. That alone puts things in perspective for how bad things are for Xbox in Europe right now. Not only they don't promote the brand, people don't talk about it or buy it.

When Sony did their 2020 showcase and didn't announce PS4 versions for Miles Morales, Forbidden West, GT7 etc everyone was like "YAAAAS BITCH! THIS IS NEXT GEEEENNN! look at that!" Then when they announced PS4 versions suddenly the trailers they saw didn't matter cause the games wouldn't be next gen. Then everyone was worried about how there wouldn't be flying mounts on Forbidden West because of the PS4 version...then the game comes out and you have that not only on PS5 but also on old crusty 2013 PS4 version :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TLOU2 already selling as much as RE4 remake that just came out :messenger_clapping: We love a forgotten, crappy 3 year old game from a dying IP doing these numbers!

He knew he had those few months to pull that PR statement and he did it. I'd do the same if i were him. What's interesting is to go back to GAF's topics on that with everyone quoting this, saying Xbox was in for a fight this gen because it had a great recovery, never taking into consideration PS5 was far from selling at its full potential.

Corden is doing these articles and you can almost see the tears running down his face honestly. Let's start by the fact that he talks about Xbox like its run by a single team of people...which are now taking care of the Activision deal so they only care about that like nothing else matters, lol. That's not how a business is run.

That said, i can't imagine even MS expected Playstation 5 to do these numbers once units were basically available everywhere. But it's really their fault only.

Here in Portugal i see Playstation Ads in literally...ATM's:

Not only are they promoting gaming discounts in there but you can buy those PS Vouchers to use on your Playstation store account. And you have this ad right when you're using your debit / credit cards. THIS is how you do marketing.
I see ads every time a football game is happening and they are already promoting Spider-Man 2 (since January with that PS5 relaunch ad), you have outdoors with Playstation promos as well. Xbox is...nowhere to be seen. Sony is going for the throat this year and they don't have to, cause they are basically alone and would have no competition anyway...

You can tell they are making up for lost time in 2023...and i can only imagine the hype once they announce their showcase for May or early June.

Yeah it's doing great on the charts. All with only one SKU too.

feynoob

Banned
Well that depends how well those games sell on Xbox. If they don't sell a lot then it doesn't really matter if they skip the platform. But if they do that's a different story and will have a much bigger impact on hardware sales.
In order to get those sales, you need to have the games first, which can attract those audience, who will get you those sales.
You cant get sales, if you dont have audience.

I don't think Sony cares about the people that hate Spider-Man. What they care about is selling a ton of copies of the game which they did last time. Over 30 million copies just to remind you.

Whether you like it or not Spider-Man has a huge impact on sales due to the popularity of the IP. Not to mention a really good dev makes those games and it gets a huge marketing push from Sony and the film industry.

Your clearly denying how impactful it is by focusing on those that hate the franchise.
Its not about hating the game. Some people dont buy super hero games, because that is not their taste.
Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 was comparing both games.
Starfield has audience who will buy them, while spiderman has his own audience. Both can coexist, without affecting each other sales.

Its not about hating the game. Some people dont buy super hero games, because that is not their taste.
Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 was comparing both games.
Starfield has audience who will buy them, while spiderman has his own audience. Both can coexist, without affecting each other sales.

True, though one is like an order of magnitude more popular while the other is an unknown IP that is now limited to the worst selling console in the market. I feel like Starfield will greatly underperform previous tentpole Bethesda releases....but we'll never really know and it will constantly be spun as still being a massive success due to GamePass

Last edited:

begotten

The splits for the upcoming Jedi Survivor and SF6 will be interesting.

SF6 will be almost like an exclusive PS5/PS4 game lol.

Just to add to this re; SF6

But I heard that the PS5 and PS4 versions of SF6 is hovering around 2 frames of input lag compared to the XSX 5 frames (heard a streamer say this).

Between that, which is big, and Sony owning EVO and embracing eSports more, you should probably expect lots of people to be playing SF6 on PS since they will be used at tournaments.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
True, though one is like an order of magnitude more popular while the other is an unknown IP that is now limited to the worst selling console in the market. I feel like Starfield will greatly underperform previous tentpole Bethesda releases....but we'll never really know and it will constantly be spun as still being a massive success due to GamePass
Except Starfield is on both PC and Xbox. You will have been right, if it was on Xbox only.

jm89

Just to add to this re; SF6

But I heard that the PS5 and PS4 versions of SF6 is hovering around 2 frames of input lag compared to the XSX 5 frames (heard a streamer say this).

Between that, which is big, and Sony owning EVO and embracing eSports more, you should probably expect lots of people to be playing SF6 on PS.
Yeah the ps5 input lag is looking really good, although the xsx input lag tests was for the closed beta, possible it may get reduced in the demo next week, but will need to see.

Last gen pretty much cemented playstation as the main userbase for SF with sf5 exclusivity, and it had an effect on the on the fgc as whole aswell as alot of fighting games where played on ps.

Last edited:

begotten

Yeah the ps5 input lag is looking really good, although the xsx input lag tests was for the closed beta, possible it may get reduced in the demo next week, but will need to see.

Last gen pretty much cemented playstation as the main userbase for SF with sf5 exclusivity, and it had an effect on the on the fgc as whole aswell as alot of fighting games where played on ps.

Yeah, I think the magic SSD is being used to sell fighting games on the PS5 and run that whole FGC ecoystem.

Tekken 8 and SF6 are being put through all the PS marketing, and it looks like MK12 is going to join them. That's pretty much the big 3 all being marketed and shown through Sony channels.

In order to get those sales, you need to have the games first, which can attract those audience, who will get you those sales.
You cant get sales, if you dont have audience.

Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 was comparing both games.

Well Sony hasn't released anything yet but they still got sales.

🤷‍♂️

Thirty7ven

Banned

Why is this a thing? It’s like to attract a new customer you need new games even though the customer hasn’t played the games already on the system.

It’s like people saying Tears of Kingdom is going to be this system seller, I mean… what? Who the hell has been waiting for that before they buy a switch?

Just like even though Sony isn’t releasing new first party games until the end of the year, PS5 will keep selling.

It’s year 3, not launch or year 1 or 2. Year 3. Xbox biggest franchises already came out, let’s stop pretending people are waiting for Hellblade 2 or Starfield before buying an Xbox entering its fourth year. Not to mention Gamepass is Xbox, you’re not getting a bigger system seller than that unless COD goes exclusive.

Top Bottom