• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD/Circana US March 2023: PS5 #1 (now ahead of PS4 when aligned), RE4#1, MLB#3 and TLOU #5

feynoob

Banned
I do not think you comprehend how massive the audience is for the Spiderman IP.
I know it has massive audience. I am one of them. But I am picking starfield over spiderman, because I am an RPG fan first, even though I love spiderman.
Well Sony hasn't released anything yet but they still got sales.

🤷‍♂️
And? That doesnt negate that starfield has people that will buy them day1.
Except it's also not on PS5....that's a massive loss of an audience. That was my point.
People have Xbox or PC with their PS5, except single system users. They are not losing anything?

Its like you guys are so adamant that other audience doesnt exist, because one audience is big in your eyes. Both games will have massive success on their own. Starfied sales wont diminish, because spiderman is huge.

feynoob

Banned
Why is this a thing? It’s like to attract a new customer you need new games even though the customer hasn’t played the games already on the system.

It’s like people saying Tears of Kingdom is going to be this system seller, I mean… what? Who the hell has been waiting for that before they buy a switch?

Just like even though Sony isn’t releasing new first party games until the end of the year, PS5 will keep selling.

It’s year 3, not launch or year 1 or 2. Year 3. Xbox biggest franchises already came out, let’s stop pretending people are waiting for Hellblade 2 or Starfield before buying an Xbox entering its fourth year. Not to mention Gamepass is Xbox, you’re not getting a bigger system seller than that unless COD goes exclusive.
This is utterly pointless.
league of legends kill steal GIF

Wrap it up boys, the gen is done.

The point is that Sony has proven you don't need constant releases to get good sales. Of course getting games out will still give the platform a boost but it can still sell well even without 1st party releases.

People have Xbox or PC with their PS5, except single system users. They are not losing anything?

Its like you guys are so adamant that other audience doesnt exist, because one audience is big in your eyes. Both games will have massive success on their own. Starfied sales wont diminish, because spiderman is huge.

Multiplatform owners are quite rare. Bethesda has benefitted greatly from having their games on all platforms and now they will be missing the market's largest platform. That's the point of making it exclusive, so it sells Xboxes, but it will be at the expense of Starfield reaching a much larger audience

Starfield has a big uphill battle for them and a lot of pressure. I just don't see it capturing the "must own" status Microsoft wants. There are so many big titles releasing in the fall.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Multiplatform owners are quite rare. Bethesda has benefitted greatly from having their games on all platforms and now they will be missing the market's largest platform. That's the point of making it exclusive, so it sells Xboxes, but it will be at the expense of Starfield reaching a much larger audience

Starfield has a big uphill battle for them and a lot of pressure. I just don't see it capturing the "must own" status Microsoft wants. There are so many big titles releasing in the fall.
We will see.
The point is that Sony has proven you don't need constant releases to get good sales. Of course getting games out will still give the platform a boost but it can still sell well even without 1st party releases.
Because they have the brand name, marketing rights for big games like gta, fifa, cod, and even for hogwart legacy.
Having those things will sell your system. Xbox lacks those.
But that wasnt the conversation. I dont know how we jumped there.

Brucey

I know it has massive audience. I am one of them. But I am picking starfield over spiderman, because I am an RPG fan first, even though I love spiderman.

Wouldn't the majority of the target market for Starfield on xb already be on Xbox series platform after they initially bought for Halo infinite etc? The hardcore Xbox fans that will buy in every generation have already done so, they've had plenty of time since launch. And even get some of the casuals earlier than normal in console lifecycle with cheap series s all over the place.

feynoob

Banned
Wouldn't the majority of the target market for Starfield on xb already be on Xbox series platform after they initially bought for Halo infinite etc? The hardcore Xbox fans that will buy in every generation have already done so, they've had plenty of time since launch. And even get some of the casuals earlier than normal in console lifecycle with cheap series s all over the place.
Majority of the market is steam/pc.

FrankWza

Depends on how good the games are. Starfield really needs to be megahit. If it is then I think Xbox will rebound quite a bit. Well.....also depends on how much Microsoft is willing to be spend marketing and advertising their stuff. They are not doing a good job promoting the Xbox console, imo.
They really don't need to do anything. Since they're owned by microsoft they can continue doing what they're doing. They have been around long enough, both in years and gens, that most other companies would have folded or bailed. When or if things continue to go poorly they can point to the big acquisition and project more success that they will never quantify. Rinse and repeat

We will see.

Because they have the brand name, marketing rights for big games like gta, fifa, cod, and even for hogwart legacy.
Having those things will sell your system. Xbox lacks those.
But that wasnt the conversation. I dont know how we jumped there.

Those games are also available on Xbox so I don't see your point. People are not forced to buy a PS5 to play those games. Sure it does impact sales but it shouldn't tank Microsoft Series sales.

Just to add to this re; SF6

But I heard that the PS5 and PS4 versions of SF6 is hovering around 2 frames of input lag compared to the XSX 5 frames (heard a streamer say this).

Between that, which is big, and Sony owning EVO and embracing eSports more, you should probably expect lots of people to be playing SF6 on PS since they will be used at tournaments.

Damn that's quite shocking. The casuals won't care about input lag as much as they should but fighting game fans will be put off for sure.

The console split could be 90% PS (PS5/PS4) 10% XBS (no XB1 version)!

They really don't need to do anything. Since they're owned by microsoft they can continue doing what they're doing. They have been around long enough, both in years and gens, that most other companies would have folded or bailed. When or if things continue to go poorly they can point to the big acquisition and project more success that they will never quantify. Rinse and repeat
I am amused that you are trying to act like it is a positive that Xbox is unaffected by bad performance.

You know why? Because if bad performance has no negative effect, you would thus have no reason to improve it. If running Xbox Division into the ground would get no one fired and everyone still getting their bonuses, exactly who would even bother to make any positive changes?

You are outright, loudly and prodly, stating that Xbox is a Zombie buisness, that it gets propped up artificially and intentionally by Microsoft without it needing to actually deliver. And you are saying this as their customer. You are admitting that they suck but that is okay because they can live off free money from Windows. How does that even benefit you?

Baki

Say what you will about Nintendo, but even during the dark times of the Wii U they never stopped sharing, reporting hardware numbers.
It’s because they have to. They are a public video game company. Those are literally the only numbers they have to report. Meanwhile Xbox represents less than 7% of MS revenue and even less of their operating profit. That lets them get away with reporting less information as investors are more interested in the numbers from their big money makers (Azure, Office 365 and Windows).

Woopah

To move on from hardware for a minute, there were several positive things to note in the software chart this month.

• Unlike Fire Emblem Engage, Octopath II didn't have the usual JRPG drop off. Word of mouth is doing wonders for it
  • Three of the big overperformers of last year were Elden Ring, Sonic and Lego Star Wars, and all of them are showing great legs by still being in the charts
  • Was really surprised to see Metroid Prime appearing in the charts and rising from 21 to 13, especially given its price and lack of digital. Bodes well for Prime 4
  • The impact of the TLoU show is clear.Will be interesting to see the impact of the Mario movie next month, and the future of Sony and Nintendo's multimedia strategies.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

Game will be big on Steam anyway, probably three to five million copies+ in the first two months, if it’s a great game.

MS will boast about the amount of gamepass users who played the game, 20 million +, and people will pretend it sold 30 million copies.

yazenov

Damn that's quite shocking. The casuals won't care about input lag as much as they should but fighting game fans will be put off for sure.

The console split could be 90% PS (PS5/PS4) 10% XBS (no XB1 version)!

Sony may as well pay Capcom for those potential 10% sales on Xbox and make it exclusive to the PS5.

yazenov

Or just acquire them altogether. Capcom doesn't need xbox, so nothing is really lost for them. Same for square enix and other Japanese publishers. Xbox is a tiny audience for their games.

I think it will be a good move and response to Microsoft's Activision Blizzard purchase if it is approved by the regulators. It will be easy for Sony to justify those purchases to the shareholders and regulators. Im sure Sony is waiting to pull the trigger :) .

I think it will be a good move and response to Microsoft's Activision Blizzard purchase if it is approved by the regulators. It will be easy for Sony to justify those purchases to the shareholders and regulators. Im sure Sony is waiting to pull the trigger :) .

Yeah they'll need to do something as MS will swallow up the whole industry bit by bit. As I expect them (MS) to go for lots of developers, smaller publishers and Japanese publisher's next if the Acti deal passes.

Poltz

Yeah they'll need to do something as MS will swallow up the whole industry bit by bit. As I expect them (MS) to go for lots of developers, smaller publishers and Japanese publisher's next if the Acti deal passes.
A publisher arms race would be so boring.

Sw0pDiller

It’s year 3, not launch or year 1 or 2. Year 3. Xbox biggest franchises already came out, let’s stop pretending people are waiting for Hellblade 2 or Starfield before buying an Xbox entering its fourth year. Not to mention Gamepass is Xbox, you’re not getting a bigger system seller than that unless COD goes exclusive.
But this is the talk we are hearing for about 7 years now: wait until e3 (x7), wait until they unlock the secret processor (this was a fun one), wait until phil settles in, wait for series x, wait for halo infinite, wait for bethesda, wait for Redfall, wait for Starfield.... it's like a running gag at this point.

Waiting GIF

onQ123

Want to be more specific.

I do think they said they were expecting double digit declines in the previous earnings call.
I just think all 3 will make announcements after their financial reports it's the right time to give a outlook on how things will go for the rest of the year.

New models , discontinues , changes to leadership, buying stock / selling stock , Activision is a done deal & so on

reksveks

I just think all 3 will make announcements after their financial reports it's the right time to give a outlook on how things will go for the rest of the year.

New models , discontinues , changes to leadership, buying stock / selling stock , Activision is a done deal & so on
boring prediction but that's okay.

I am amused that you are trying to act like it is a positive that Xbox is unaffected by bad performance.
If Xbox is unaffected by bad performance why did they stop making Kinect? Why are they continuing to add more studios to combat the 'Xbox has no games' meme? Why did they change their strategy from competing with only consoles to making a broad ecosystem that includes day one PC releases and cloud access giving customers the choice to not purchase a console at all? It's pretty clear most people have no idea what MS is doing and perhaps that is an indictment of their marketing but to act like they have made no adjustments is false.

There are plenty of benefits to being in the Xbox ecosystem and the fact that they continue to put great games into Game pass day one provides gamers a value unmatched anywhere else. Pretty sure more adjustments are on the way but the 'has no games thing' is long dead.
I don't own an xbox.
This is pretty surprising to hear!

Woopah

Or just acquire them altogether. Capcom doesn't need xbox, so nothing is really lost for them. Same for square enix and other Japanese publishers. Xbox is a tiny audience for their games.
It's not just about PS vs. XB. PC and Switch/Switch 2 are very important ecosystems for the future of Japanese third parties.

It's not just about PS vs. XB. PC and Switch/Switch 2 are very important ecosystems for the future of Japanese third parties.

Sony would agree to keep producing games on Nintendo platforms because they ain't direct competitors the way Microsoft are. Microsoft would be the ones they cut off the same way Microsoft are doing to them. PC isnt an issue. Sony are embracing it now.

Last edited:

Woopah

Sony would agree to keep producing games on Nintendo platforms because they ain't direct competitors the way Microsoft are. Microsoft would be the ones they cut off the same way Microsoft are doing to them. PC isnt an issue. Sony are embracing it now.
For Japanese games Sony will see Nintendo as a much bigger competitor than Microsoft.

I can't see it being worth it for PS to acquire Japanese publishers just to keep games off XB, and have them still come to Switch and PC day 1. They are better doing there current strategy of exclusivity deals.

Last edited:

Top 10 Sales Week 16: April 17-23, 2023 - Spain​

1. The Last of Us: Part II for PS4
  2. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp for Switch
  3. Dead Island 2 for PS5
  4. Minecraft Legends for Switch
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch
  6. Super Mario Odyssey for Switch
  7. FIFA 23 - Legacy Edition for Switch
  8. Nintendo Switch Sports for Switch
  9. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury for Switch
  10. FIFA 23 for PS5

hepfom

3. Dead Island 2 for PS5
  10. FIFA 23 for PS5
Was TLOU P2 on sale or something?

People are buying the games Sony released previously, which contributed to their sales then and now, so of course Sony getting games out helped them with good sales.

Last edited:

Tsaki

3. Dead Island 2 for PS5
  10. FIFA 23 for PS5
TLOU2 #1? That's good. Are these unit sales or revenue?

Woopah

People are buying the games Sony released previously, which contributed to their sales then and now, so of course Sony getting games out helped them with good sales.
Exactly, Ragnarok is an evergreen that is still pushing consoles.
TLOU2 #1? That's good. Are these unit sales or revenue?
It's unit based. The game was on sale this week but it usually does well in the Spain charts anyway.

Tsaki

Exactly, Ragnarok is an evergreen that is still pushing consoles.

It's unit based. The game was on sale this week but it usually does well in the Spain charts anyway.
Thanks. I was hoping that it was revenue based, making it more impressive. But still good.

Astray

Gold Member
Depends on how good the games are. Starfield really needs to be megahit. If it is then I think Xbox will rebound quite a bit. Well.....also depends on how much Microsoft is willing to be spend marketing and advertising their stuff. They are not doing a good job promoting the Xbox console, imo.
It's a budget problem above all imo.

Profits = more justification for releasing marketing funds = additional profits

It's a virtuous cycle, especially with this modern age of persistent libraries, and the lack of Xbox marketing kinda tells you that the profits aren't there.

There's also another factor that ppl don't talk about enough: Physical editions.

If you make more physical editions of games, then the brick and mortar stores are incentivized to actually stock them and give Microsoft some actual shelf-space, but if you go digital and sub-first like Microsoft is doing, then they have no incentive to give you any in-store promos, because why help the guy who wants to cut me out of the value chain?

Top Bottom