• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2022 and for the year 2022: #1 MW2 #2 Pokemon #3 God of War; NSW #1 Units (PS5 #2) PS5 #1 Revenue (NSW #2)

reksveks

Tweets

and a lot more

Summary:
- December Revenue up 2% (HW up 16% but software down 1% and accessories down 2%): I am trying to figure out if up 16% is good.
- 2022 Revenue down 5% (HW up 8% but software down 7% and accessories down 8%)

- HW Revenue for Dec 22: PS5, Switch, XBS
- HW Units for Dec 22: Switch, PS5, XBS
- HW Revenue for 2022: PS5, Switch, XBS
- HW Units for 2022: Switch, PS5, XBS

- December new games, Need for Speed #8, Crisis Core #10, Callisto Protocol 17*
- Top 3 games for PS for the year: COD, GoW and ER
- Top 3 games for Xbox for the year: COD, ER and NFL
- Top 3 games for Switch for the year: Pokemon S/V, Pokemon Arceus, MK8

*no digital

Last edited:

Jaybe

Callisto Protocol at 17, ouch. Should have given NPD the digital sales to boost its ranking and not look so pathetic

200.gif

Nautilus

Banned
Strong sales for Sonic again. if Sonic Frontiers doesn't come to PS Plus or Game Pass anytime soon I can see up to 8-10 million units sold lifetime.
Yeah.Frontiers could be the break out hit that Sonic needed ever since the first Sonic game.

Switch won December for units despite PS5 winning October and November. There must still be big supply problems for PS5 because it really should be outselling a 6 year old console. And Xbox third again, it is selling badly in Europe and Japan at the moment and it can't even avoid last place on home soil. I think this will be the last time Switch will be on top for the holidays, although it will still probably be ahead of Xbox next year, lol.

My predictions for worldwide hardware shipments in Q3 (Oct 1st - Dec 31st 2022)

Switch:
9.3 million (10.67m in 2021)
PS5: 6.8 million (3.9m in 2021)
XBS: 4.5 million (4.4m in 2021)

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
Switch won December for units despite PS5 winning October and November. There must still be big supply problems for PS5 because it really should be outselling a 6 year old console. And Xbox third again, it is selling badly in Europe and Japan at the moment and it can't even avoid last place on home soil. I think this will be the last time Switch will be on top for the holidays, although it will still probably be ahead of Xbox next year, lol.

My predictions for hardware shipments in Q3 (Oct 1st - Dec 31st 2022)

Switch:
9.3 million (10.67m in 2021)
PS5: 6.8 million (3.9m in 2021)
XBS: 4.5 million (4.4m in 2021)

Looks very very accurate. We'll need the financial reports though.

Bragr

Banned
Pokemon outselling Ragnarok without digital. Wow.

Sonic sales are very strong.

Elden Ring still selling very well. Good legs.

Games like Switch Sports and Smash Ultimate charting without digital is very impressive.

Callisto Protocol likely sold most digital and is probably well into the top 10 with it included. But it should be a lot higher even so.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MLB almost beat Horizon wtf. Beat GT7. Crazy.
Where is TLOU remake? I thought it sold well.
No Callisto lmao. Imagine getting outsold by a flop like Gotham Knights.
Fifa outselling MLB, NBA and NHL. What a crazy time to be alive.

Fmrf1bkaYAE8-wt

Bragr

Banned

Fmrf1bkaYAE8-wt
Wait what? Mario Kart outselling GT7 with physical only? huh?

It's such a shame we ain't getting full Nintendo numbers, I am so curious as to how much Pokemon sold.

This is without bundles right? cause Horizon is likely twice that with bundles.

SlimySnake

remember no xbox and switch digital, whether thats enough to overcome the difference, who knows.
yep. MLB used to be a 1 million seller. Lets assume its now a 1.5 million seller with Xbox and Switch. Maybe a little less since its free on gamepass, but man this does not look good for Horizon and GT7. Looks like TLOU, GT7 and Horizon all underperformed. probably the reason why Sony didnt release any sales figures for these games despite releasing sales figures for GOW, Ratchet, Demon Souls and Returnal. I wonder if they are waiting for them to hit 5 million before announcing the sales. HFW and GT7 should be over 2 million worldwide by now. TLOU probably around 1 million.

I remember getting a lot of shit for pointing out that SOny themselves admitted they saw a massive decline in software sales in the April-June quarter. I was like Horizon, MLB and GT7 should have better legs than that. They had a good Jan to March quarter with 14 million sales for all first party titles, but only 6 million the quarter after that down from 10.6 million the year before during the same quarter. And they count bundles.

I wonder if these games were more ambitious pushing next gen tech if things wouldve been different. More of the same might work for yearly cod games, but people buying Sony AAA games expect a lot more.
Wait what? Mario Kart outselling GT7 with physical only? huh?

It's such a shame we ain't getting full Nintendo numbers, I am so curious as to how much Pokemon sold.

This is without bundles right? cause Horizon is likely twice that with bundles.
Bundles accounted for 20% of the sales in UK. Probably the same here. And yes, NPD doesnt count bundles.

Last edited:
The honeymoon phase is over, they won’t win a month this year.

I guess it’s back to sales don’t matter.

Well they actually have games releasing this year so it should be more competitive. Things like Starfield and maybe Forza should help it a little.

I don’t think the honeymoon phase for the series x/s is over i think the honeymoon phase for gamepass carrying the next gen is over

Last edited:
yep. MLB used to be a 1 million seller. Lets assume its now a 1.5 million seller with Xbox and Switch. Maybe a little less since its free on gamepass, but man this does not look good for Horizon and GT7. Looks like TLOU, GT7 and Horizon all underperformed. probably the reason why Sony didnt release any sales figures for these games despite releasing sales figures for GOW, Ratchet, Demon Souls and Returnal. I wonder if they are waiting for them to hit 5 million before announcing the sales. HFW and GT7 should be over 2 million worldwide by now. TLOU probably around 1 million.

I remember getting a lot of shit for pointing out that SOny themselves admitted they saw a massive decline in software sales in the April-June quarter. I was like Horizon, MLB and GT7 should have better legs than that. They had a good Jan to March quarter with 14 million sales for all first party titles, but only 6 million the quarter after that down from 10.6 million the year before during the same quarter. And they count bundles.

I wonder if these games were more ambitious pushing next gen tech if things wouldve been different. More of the same might work for yearly cod games, but people buying Sony AAA games expect a lot more.

Bundles accounted for 20% of the sales in UK. Probably the same here. And yes, NPD doesnt count bundles.

You think horizon 2 is only at 2 million worldwide. Where are you even getting that from?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Did Xbox Series X/S lose their novelty? With all the discounts on the Series S, I would have figured it would have charted higher.
I've been saying this for quite some time.

There's a certain percentage of people who are brand loyalists and early adopters (it's the same for every company: Xbox, PlayStation, Apple, BMW, etc.)

The initial sales that we saw were from those early birds. The Xbox sales were always going to slow down once those people have bought their systems and it's up to casuals and on-the-fence-people to keep the sales going.

This is exactly what happened with Xbox One. Despite the PR disaster, it sold really well at the start (despite the higher price). It paced ahead of PS4 at certain points and even Xbox 360.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2014/04/17/xbox-one-march-npd/

"The new generation is off to a strong start, with global Xbox One sales outpacing Xbox 360 by more than 60 percent at the same point in time, a true testament to your love of console gaming." -- xbox.com

Then it slowed down, and PS4 took an insurmountable lead when the early adopters' phase was over.

I believe this is what's happening again -- especially in Japan where PS4 is consistently outselling XBS.

Interfectum

What happened to xbox outselling ps5 3 quarters in a row? Meaningless PR.

Only it did... which is why the PS5 lead isn't as big as some thought it would be.

Xbox Series X|S outsold PS5 3 quarters in a row from Oct-Dec 2021, Jan-Mar 2022 and April-Jun 2022. That's literally 3 quarters in a row. They never said they would win the entire year.

It's not meaningless PR when it means Xbox Series X|S is doing significantly better than Xbox One has. They've taken back market share thus far compared to last gen.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

There's a certain percentage of people who are brand loyalists and early adopters (it's the same for every company: Xbox, PlayStation, Apple, BMW, etc.)

The initial sales that we saw were from those early birds. The Xbox sales were always going to slow down once those people have bought their systems and it's up to casuals and on-the-fence-people to keep the sales going.

This is exactly what happened with Xbox One. Despite the PR disaster, it sold really well at the start (despite the higher price). It paced ahead of PS4 at certain points and even Xbox 360.

Then it slowed down, and PS4 took an insurmountable lead when the early adopters' phase was over.

I believe this is what's happening again -- especially in Japan where PS4 is consistently outselling XBS.
They literally had a year without any exclusives. The sales will pick up when Starfield comes out.

But yes, it was always going to struggle against the PS brand loyalty. The Series S definitely helped but that console has been widely available since 2021 and yet it cant seem to outsell a PS console that is still impossible to find.

reksveks

They literally had a year without any exclusives. The sales will pick up when Starfield comes out.

But yes, it was always going to struggle against the PS brand loyalty. The Series S definitely helped but that console has been widely available since 2021 and yet it cant seem to outsell a PS console that is still impossible to find.
Yeah that's the question mark around xbox this year, can Starfield and other exclusive games drive demand for the consoles and in Xmas the series s.

Kvally

Banned
Yeah that's the question mark around xbox this year, can Starfield and other exclusive games drive demand for the consoles and in Xmas the series s.
I guess anything is possible. At this point they are outselling all the previous Xbox consoles. The question is, will Starfield, Redfall, Forza Motorsport, Age of Empires 4, etc move consoles. Maybe at least some Xbox One gamers, as none of those games will work on Xbox One without cloud streaming.

Poltz

The Series S in Europe has had heavy discounts also. Next year is the acid test.

Strong sales for Sonic again. if Sonic Frontiers doesn't come to PS Plus or Game Pass anytime soon I can see up to 8-10 million units sold lifetime.

8 - 10 million sounds a bit much but I think the game's going to do better than most assumed, that's for sure. Sega finally have a good formula for 3D Sonic it seems, they should build off of it for the next game.

Fmrf1bkaYAE8-wt

Jesus Christ dude, FFS imagine being this toxic in a sales thread.

Will also be intersting to see if Microsoft can raise prices and stay competitive with their software offerings.

I imagine gamepass and possibly series x going up in price might be a thing this year, consoles im less sure about but the first gamepass increase has to be coming soon

Last edited:

With the possibility Series could be tracking behind XBO in sold-through (maybe they're even with it though, or slightly tracking ahead. We'll hopefully get some numbers and PR from MS soon that clarify (if there's no PR on Series sales outpacing XBO with the next fiscal report then we can take that as they're tracking behind)).

Will also be intersting to see if Microsoft can raise prices and stay competitive with their software offerings.

I imagine gamepass and possibly series x going up in price might be a thing this year, consoles im less sure about but the first gamepass increase has to be coming soon

They've already soft-increased Series X price with the FH5 bundle at $549. I think that's a way for them to test the waters, considering you can get FH5 "free" in Game Pass with a sub any number of different ways, so if the bundle does well then that's mainly people paying extra for the privilege of owning the game.

It could be how MS handles a price increase for Series X for the year; just pack it in with a retail 1P game that's somewhat old but still relevant and give it the impression of added value rather than just have it be a raw price increase on MSRP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom