• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2022 and for the year 2022: #1 MW2 #2 Pokemon #3 God of War; NSW #1 Units (PS5 #2) PS5 #1 Revenue (NSW #2)

MLB is a baseball yearly franchise that sells 1-2 million max. It should not be outselling Sony's AAA games that sell 20 million copies.

GT7 definitely underperformed. If it didnt, Sony wouldve released its numbers like they did GOW.

You must be talking about worldwide then as these early reports from Sony would be

We can infer that GT7 has indeed sold well worldwide. PD recently announced 90m sales for the franchise. They announced 80 million in May 2018. It's estimated GT7 has sold around 5 million and only launched in March 2022, the other half will be more GT Sport sales. The player and sales counts are a tight match compared to other games and this is how it's looking.

Regarding GT in the US it's been performing relatively poor since PS2 days and dropped off significantly from GT3 to GT4 on PS2. Down from 7 million for GT3 to 3 million in US for GT4. Europe make up about 70% of the sales, it's roughly 7 million Europe, 3 million US and the rest WW for GT now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MLB The Show 21 sold more than 2 million copies on PS and Xbox. With Nintendo and a growing market, The Show 22 would have sold 3-4 million copies now.

And MLB is an American sport, and almost all copies are sold in U.S.. If MLB The Show 22 sold 3 million MLB copies in the U.S., it means Horizon Forbidden West sold more than 3 million copies in U.S. alone. It must be near or over by 10 million copies worldwide.
As I've mentioned before, Sony themselves stated that the sales of their April-June quarter were very low. Down to 6 million units worldwide for all first party games. Down from 10.6 million the year before in the same quarter when MLB the Show sold 2 million in three months.

Here is where the 2 million figure for MLB comes from. It was not in your link.

SIE also achieved additional milestones across its portfolio of PlayStation Studios games, including:

• Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales from Insomniac Games has sold more than 6.5 million copies* since releasing on November 12, 2020
  • MLB® The Show™ 21 from San Diego Studio is the fastest-selling title in franchise history with more than 2 million copies* sold across all platforms. The game has reached more than 4 million players since releasing on April 16, 2021
  • Returnal from Housemarque, a new IP that launched to critical acclaim, has sold more than 560,000 copies* since releasing on April 30, 2021
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart from Insomniac Games has sold more than 1.1 million copies* since releasing on June 11, 2021
__________________________________________________________________________________
So we have Sony selling 10.6 million first party games with Returnal selling just 500k, Ratchet selling just 1.1 million and MLB selling 2 million plus. Spiderman like sold another 2 million in that quarter. Bringing us to around 5 million with another 5 million presumably going to older first party games. With total sales down to just 6 million despite Horizon and GT7 launching just a month before that quarter started, we can assume that the sales for all of these games did not meet expectations. Otherwise, Sony wouldve put out a bulletin point just like they did in July 2021.

I really dont like the guessing game. It is very hard to prove anything. A lot of inferring on both sides. I'd rather Sony just release numbers. Id rather NPD finally fucking release numbers so we dont have to wonder why Mario Kart is beating out GT7 in its 9th year of release especially considering it retails for $50.

You are assuming that if Horizon outsold MLB, it must have sold more than 3 million copies and that worldwide total must be 3x that. I just dont buy it even if it sold 3 million in the U.S. It took TLOU2 3 days to sell 4 million units then another two years to hit 9 million according to Naughty Dog last year. And we think Horizon which did not do TLOU2 numbers is going to get there in under a year? Especially when data from Sony themselves shows there was a huge drop in sales in its second quarter affecting both MLB sales and HFW/GT7 estimates you are gleening from 2021 sales figures. Lets not forget last year the software sales were down every single month compared to 2021. Trying to apply inflated covid era 2021 numbers to 2022 is a mistake.

Remember, Sony had no problems admitting GOW sold 5 million units in a week and that TLOU2 sold 4 million in three days. the fact that we got no such numbers from Sony for HFW, TLOU and GT7 means that they either underperformed or Sony's just waiting for them to hit 5 million or another milestone. Regardless, Jimbo's secrecy withholding game reveals and game numbers is getting very frustrating because we are all now in a guessing game in a thread that should have hard fucking data.

SlimySnake

You must be talking about worldwide then as these early reports from Sony would be

We can infer that GT7 has indeed sold well worldwide. PD recently announced 90m sales for the franchise. They announced 80 million in May 2018. It's estimated GT7 has sold around 5 million and only launched in March 2022, the other half will be more GT Sport sales. The player and sales counts are a tight match compared to other games and this is how it's looking.

Regarding GT in the US it's been performing relatively poor since PS2 days and dropped off significantly from GT3 to GT4 on PS2. Down from 7 million for GT3 to 3 million in US for GT4. Europe make up about 70% of the sales, it's roughly 7 million Europe, 3 million US and the rest WW for GT now.
I should clarify. I am not saying GT7 didnt sell well. Of course it sold well. it is in the top 20 landing at the 20th spot. I am saying relative to games like Mario Kart and fucking MLB the Show which is by no means as popular as Fifa and Madden, it has underperformed. I dont know if i said this already, but GT7 and HFW took almost 5 years to make and cost way more than a yearly franchise like MLB the show. Like 5-10x more. I highly doubt Sony is happy with those numbers.

Now compared to Forza which landed at the 20th spot last year, and Halo infinite which didnt even make the top 20 last year of course both Horizon and GT7 did great. Sony has 4 games in the top 20. Thats a great fucking year for any publisher especially considering 3/4 games were exclusives, and 1 of them was on gamepass. I mean Sony is matching Nintendo for the most games in the top 20 and beating Nintendo in the top 10. Thats pretty damn good all things considered.

jm89

I should clarify. I am not saying GT7 didnt sell well. Of course it sold well. it is in the top 20 landing at the 20th spot. I am saying relative to games like Mario Kart and fucking MLB the Show which is by no means as popular as Fifa and Madden, it has underperformed. I dont know if i said this already, but GT7 and HFW took almost 5 years to make and cost way more than a yearly franchise like MLB the show. Like 5-10x more. I highly doubt Sony is happy with those numbers.

Now compared to Forza which landed at the 20th spot last year, and Halo infinite which didnt even make the top 20 last year of course both Horizon and GT7 did great. Sony has 4 games in the top 20. Thats a great fucking year for any publisher especially considering 3/4 games were exclusives, and 1 of them was on gamepass. I mean Sony is matching Nintendo for the most games in the top 20 and beating Nintendo in the top 10. Thats pretty damn good all things considered.
I really doubt GT7 costs where that high.

A lot of the content they where making for GT sport are being used for GT7, so the cost of that content would have been split between 2 games one which was being sold already and one yet to be sold.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As I've mentioned before, Sony themselves stated that the sales of their April-June quarter were very low. Down to 6 million units worldwide for all first party games. Down from 10.6 million the year before in the same quarter when MLB the Show sold 2 million in three months.

Here is where the 2 million figure for MLB comes from. It was not in your link.

SIE also achieved additional milestones across its portfolio of PlayStation Studios games, including:

• Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales from Insomniac Games has sold more than 6.5 million copies* since releasing on November 12, 2020
  • MLB® The Show™ 21 from San Diego Studio is the fastest-selling title in franchise history with more than 2 million copies* sold across all platforms. The game has reached more than 4 million players since releasing on April 16, 2021
  • Returnal from Housemarque, a new IP that launched to critical acclaim, has sold more than 560,000 copies* since releasing on April 30, 2021
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart from Insomniac Games has sold more than 1.1 million copies* since releasing on June 11, 2021
__________________________________________________________________________________
So we have Sony selling 10.6 million first party games with Returnal selling just 500k, Ratchet selling just 1.1 million and MLB selling 2 million plus. Spiderman like sold another 2 million in that quarter. Bringing us to around 5 million with another 5 million presumably going to older first party games. With total sales down to just 6 million despite Horizon and GT7 launching just a month before that quarter started, we can assume that the sales for all of these games did not meet expectations. Otherwise, Sony wouldve put out a bulletin point just like they did in July 2021.

I really dont like the guessing game. It is very hard to prove anything. A lot of inferring on both sides. I'd rather Sony just release numbers. Id rather NPD finally fucking release numbers so we dont have to wonder why Mario Kart is beating out GT7 in its 9th year of release especially considering it retails for $50.

You are assuming that if Horizon outsold MLB, it must have sold more than 3 million copies and that worldwide total must be 3x that. I just dont buy it even if it sold 3 million in the U.S. It took TLOU2 3 days to sell 4 million units then another two years to hit 9 million according to Naughty Dog last year. And we think Horizon which did not do TLOU2 numbers is going to get there in under a year? Especially when data from Sony themselves shows there was a huge drop in sales in its second quarter affecting both MLB sales and HFW/GT7 estimates you are gleening from 2021 sales figures. Lets not forget last year the software sales were down every single month compared to 2021. Trying to apply inflated covid era 2021 numbers to 2022 is a mistake.

Remember, Sony had no problems admitting GOW sold 5 million units in a week and that TLOU2 sold 4 million in three days. the fact that we got no such numbers from Sony for HFW, TLOU and GT7 means that they either underperformed or Sony's just waiting for them to hit 5 million or another milestone. Regardless, Jimbo's secrecy withholding game reveals and game numbers is getting very frustrating because we are all now in a guessing game in a thread that should have hard fucking data.
TLOU 2 did 4 million units worldwide. You're comparing that with Horizon's US only sales? Why?

MLB has been selling ~1.5 million copies on PS alone. With Xbox, sales jumped up to more than 2 million copies. With Switch this year, 3 million is very reasonable to expect. But Horizon sold more than that, which means it sold more than 3 million copies in the US alone.

It's very safe to imagine that the rest of the world would have done 3x numbers at least.

I'm sure we'll get the numbers when PlayStation announces the Horizon Netflix show or the PC version. The first game sold 20 million copies. No way the 2nd game is selling less than that.

SlimySnake

I really doubt GT7 costs where that high.

A lot of the content they where making for GT sport are being used for GT7, so the cost of that content would have been split between 2 games one which was being sold already and one yet to be sold.
Cost of game development primarily comes from the cost of running dev studio for each year the game is in development. A large 300 person studio like PD is definitely costlier to run a smaller sports game studio. GG apparently has 400 employees. Game took 5 years to make. Thats 5x more expensive even if GG had a 100-150 employees the San Diego studios had. They are 3x bigger which means they cost 3x more to run every year. Game took 5x longer to make so a 5-10x more expensive than a yearly sports game is a pretty decent assumption.

GT7 has to license cars as well and i highly doubt the MLB license costs anywhere near as much as license for hundreds of cars.

TLOU 2 did 4 million units worldwide. You're comparing that with Horizon's US only sales? Why?

MLB has been selling ~1.5 million copies on PS alone. With Xbox, sales jumped up to more than 2 million copies. With Switch this year, 3 million is very reasonable to expect. But Horizon sold more than that, which means it sold more than 3 million copies in the US alone.

It's very safe to imagine that the rest of the world would have done 3x numbers at least.

I'm sure we'll get the numbers when PlayStation announces the Horizon Netflix show or the PC version. The first game sold 20 million copies. No way the 2nd game is selling less than that.
No, I am comparing it to your estimate of 9 million sales Worldwide. You are saying they sold 9 million in less than a year and im pointing out that TLOU2 took 2 years to sell 9 million AFTER it sold 4 million in the first three days.

All I am saying is that we didnt get those 4-5 million in first week numbers for Horizon like we got for GOW and TLOU2. Sony even revealed that Ghost of Tsushima sold 2.4 million in the first three days. Why keep Horizon FW numbers a secret?

jm89

GT7 has to license cars as well and i highly doubt the MLB license costs anywhere near as much as license for hundreds of cars.
I don't buy this at all.

Sports licenses are expensive as fuck, we are talking 100s of millions, no way are they gonna come anywhere close to licensing cars. MLB is also huge in the USA.

Sports licenses are also generally exclusive, so will be much higher cost then cars which generally are not.

And polyphony have shown in the past they won't be paying crazy for licenses, they dropped lotus for this reason.

SlimySnake

I don't buy this at all.

Sports licenses are expensive as fuck, we are talking 100s of millions, no way are they gonna come anywhere close to licensing cars. MLB is also huge in the USA.

Sports licenses are also generally exclusive, so will be much higher cost then cars which generally are not.

And polyphony have shown in the past they won't be paying crazy for licenses, they dropped lotus for this reason.
Fine ignore it. Doesnt change the fact that the studio is 2-3x bigger than the baseball game studio and took 4 more years to put out one game.

GT5 already cost $60 million in 2009. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gran-turismo-5-sporting-60-million-budget/1100-6239328/

Games are far more expensive than they were in 2009.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Why? Look at the list of best selling hardware for each year posted above. It's almost always a handheld like Gameboy, DS, 3DS and now Switch has taken over. Kids are the biggest userbase and there will always be new kids every year. Thats who these new switches are selling to. Everyone says its not a handheld, but it sells because its a handheld. Because no dad wants to share his fucking tv with a kid who wants to play minecraft all day.

PS and Xbox are doing their own thing while Nintendo has all but abandoned third party. No CoD in almost a decade now. I believe 2012's Blops 2 was the last one. No Ass Creed. No Battlefield. No star wars game. None of the big AAA IPs are going to that console which means Nintendo is basically losing out on a lot of third party revenue and royalties. Not that they give a shit but thats a decision they made to leave the traditional console market to Sony and MS.

Switch's success came at the expense of Nintendo having to leave their console market while forcing arguably the most talented developers in the industry to make games on dated hardware. There is nothing funny about that.
Well, I'd say reactions like yours help make it even funnier.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No, I am comparing it to your estimate of 9 million sales Worldwide. You are saying they sold 9 million in less than a year and im pointing out that TLOU2 took 2 years to sell 9 million AFTER it sold 4 million in the first three days.

All I am saying is that we didnt get those 4-5 million in first week numbers for Horizon like we got for GOW and TLOU2. Sony even revealed that Ghost of Tsushima sold 2.4 million in the first three days. Why keep Horizon FW numbers a secret?
Oh okay, now I understand your point.

I don't think 9 million is too far-fetched though. Here is why I think that.

Horizon Zero Dawn sold 2.6 million copies during the first 2 weeks and still sold 7.6 million units after 12 months. Considering sequels almost always do better and HZD was a new IP without any prior fans, HFW could have sold ~3.5 million units at launch and be around ~9 million units by now. That's a very reasonable assumption, considering the average growth of the gaming industry and PS game sales.

We see TLOU is a mammoth IP (which it is) but Horizon is no slouch either. It's a huge IP. Both TLOU 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn hit 10 million sales after 2 years.

reksveks

NPD numbers
IhGq1Y5.png

UK and EU numbers
9btyns0.png

Backfilled the data

Last edited:
It seems like strong PS5 number embolden people to make terrible predictions about Xbox. If Xbox can get some of its games out in 2023 it should take several months. Would ban bet on it. I just dont think people get how strong Xbox is in America. I'm specifically talking about Sony. Xbox will beat Sony several months this year I believe.

Deerock71

They did a lot better with industry mindshare though - 2007-2013 they were definitely perceived as a market leader by the publishing/industry, dominant one even.
They won NPDs for a record number of months consecutively with the 360, and then the Switch came along.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
They won NPDs for a record number of months consecutively with the 360, and then the Switch came along.
Industry really doesn't give a crap about monthly tracker 'wins' - and more importantly that mindshare I mentioned was there years before 360 started winning streaks (which didn't actually start until 2010).

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Fine ignore it. Doesnt change the fact that the studio is 2-3x bigger than the baseball game studio and took 4 more years to put out one game.

GT5 already cost $60 million in 2009. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gran-turismo-5-sporting-60-million-budget/1100-6239328/

Games are far more expensive than they were in 2009.
Jim Ryan seems pleased and proud about the franchise when he announced the VR version. I think they got it figure.

If a game that's sits in the top ten of the best selling games of the year underperformed. Might as well close the shop.

And they might be doing some black magic when they can afford a live e sports event in places like redbull hangar, Monaco etc

Would be strange give this much support to a game that underperformed.

Who I'm kidding
You can't fool me
I'm familiar with your game.

Weird that you don't have these takes on the best selling games of 2022 on psn

Shrugs

It seems like strong PS5 number embolden people to make terrible predictions about Xbox. If Xbox can get some of its games out in 2023 it should take several months. Would ban bet on it. I just dont think people get how strong Xbox is in America. I'm specifically talking about Sony. Xbox will beat Sony several months this year I believe.
Not if what Sony said was true about their stock problems being solved. And with games that will actually only be able to be played on PS5 (unlike Xbox where you can play in any PC) it will be tough for Microsoft. I do think MS will have Starfield month for sure (unless it comes out when Spider-Man 2 does)

Not if what Sony said was true about their stock problems being solved. And with games that will actually only be able to be played on PS5 (unlike Xbox where you can play in any PC) it will be tough for Microsoft. I do think MS will have Starfield month for sure (unless it comes out when Spider-Man 2 does)
I believe theres pent up Xbox demand, because titles do move units. I think gamepass is great, but the bigger exclusives are going to do wonders. Think someone in this thread already made this point. Theres a reason Xbox use to beat Playstation when the Ninja Gaiden games would come out. I believe the first game thats going to suprise people a ton is Redfall. I have no clue why MS didnt lock Insomniac up. My sister just started Sunset Overdrive and is loving it. I do think Starfield will be a system seller and will possibly have the effect Halo use to have on the brand. I think both Sony and MS will have big years. But I believe we are going back to a close US/UK this gen, if MS doesnt fumble. And sometimes they are like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

jm89

NPD Numbers posted over at IBF upto november.

PS5 US NPD HW:
Jun-22: 277K
Jul-22: 301K
Aug-22: 341K
Sep-22: 494K
Oct-22: 456K
Nov-22: 1328K
LTD as of Nov-22: 10592K

XBX US NPD HW:
Jun-22: 260K
Jul-22: 247K
Aug-22: 251K
Sep-22: 288K
Oct-22: 261K
Nov-22: 730K
LTD as of Nov-22: 8736K

That ps5 and xbox november sales diffrence.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I wish we could get SS and SX split. Is SS really making a difference and good for Microsoft ? 🤷‍♂️
Xbox Series is selling pretty much in line with Xbox One and 360 (adjusted for industry growth), despite the existence of Series S. The only difference is that they are now generating less revenue than before because Series S was selling for $250-$299.

The market share and console sales split (compared to PS5) hasn't changed much.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

giphy.gif
Is this official NPD data? I didn't know they were doing monthly breakdown like this?

Deerock71

Industry really doesn't give a crap about monthly tracker 'wins' - and more importantly that mindshare I mentioned was there years before 360 started winning streaks (which didn't actually start until 2010).
What I was saying is that Microsoft was beating that drum in NA when the 360 was on it's tear, and that's what contributed to many people back then believing the 360 was winning.

Ronin_7

Banned

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

giphy.gif
No PS5 December? PS5 is selling insane in the States absolutely insane. US used to be PlayStation 'weakest' market.

Slim is gonna do insane numbers at default 399

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No PS5 December? PS5 is selling insane in the States absolutely insane. US used to be PlayStation 'weakest' market.
Yeah, these console sales split ratios are crazy!

ZBHn2jL.jpg

And that's in the US, where Xbox and PS were always almost 1:1. Now in the last 3 months, PlayStation has been outselling Xbox by almost 100%, despite the existence of Series S, which costs 50% less than a PS5.

It's absolutely crazy!

Edit: this ratio was originally posted by Welfare Welfare on IBF.

Last edited:

Elios83

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

giphy.gif
Too bad that December's data are missing since it was PS5 best month ever.
Xbox took a huge defeat last holiday season, gap is even bigger than it was during the typical holiday season in the previous gen and that's with a huge price advantage with the Series S and a subscription service giving away many games day one at a cheap price.
Phil's strategy of focusing on cheap prices to attract the casual market isn't paying off, they need games.

Last edited:

demigod

Xbox Series is selling pretty much in line with Xbox One and 360 (adjusted for industry growth), despite the existence of Series S. The only difference is that they are now generating less revenue than before because Series S was selling for $250-$299.

The market share and console sales split (compared to PS5) hasn't changed much.
Series S is still $249 at many places in the USA. I can’t see them jacking up the prices when it’s not being sold out.

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

giphy.gif

PS doing better in US than I expected. September onwards is very good. Really dominating even with a much cheaper xbox model. I can see why Microsoft are going crazy with acquisitions. Also Xbox does most of its sales in the US, which means we can now have a good estimation of worldwide total.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
PS doing better in US than I expected. September onwards is very good. Really dominating even with a much cheaper xbox model. I can see why Microsoft are going crazy with acquisitions. Also Xbox does most of its sales in the US, which means we can now have a good estimation of worldwide total.
Xbox is irrelevant outside US which makes these numbers even more insane. They really need CoD exclusive...

Xbox is absolutely dead.

Xbox is irrelevant outside US which makes these numbers even more insane. They really need CoD exclusive...

Xbox is absolutely dead.

We knew PS5 was outselling xbox series but not to such an extent. Look at those NPD Numbers! Almost double in November. PS5 is smashing XB on its strongest territory with ease. Where are those December Numbers? Apparently it was strongest month ever for PS5.

Neofire

Switch won December for units despite PS5 winning October and November. There must still be big supply problems for PS5 because it really should be outselling a 6 year old console. And Xbox third again, it is selling badly in Europe and Japan at the moment and it can't even avoid last place on home soil. I think this will be the last time Switch will be on top for the holidays, although it will still probably be ahead of Xbox next year, lol.

My predictions for hardware shipments in Q3 (Oct 1st - Dec 31st 2022)

Switch:
9.3 million (10.67m in 2021)
PS5: 6.8 million (3.9m in 2021)
XBS: 4.5 million (4.4m in 2021)
In hindsight the ps5 will always have a touch time beating out the Swiytas long as it has compelling games releasing for it due to its price. 249.99 vs 399.99 for the cheapest ps5 that's what the parents of casual gamers look at when choosing a console.

bxrz

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

giphy.gif
Where did he post them and has Mat Piscatella acknowledged this?

Not believing some random "leaker" after all these leakers are wrong 99% of the time

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

giphy.gif

Yeah, these console sales split ratios are crazy!

ZBHn2jL.jpg

And that's in the US, where Xbox and PS were always almost 1:1. Now in the last 3 months, PlayStation has been outselling Xbox by almost 100%, despite the existence of Series S, which costs 50% less than a PS5.

It's absolutely crazy!

Edit: this ratio was originally posted by Welfare Welfare on IBF.
thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best check out these numbers. Much more in line with what we initially talked about compared to VGChartz data, which is LOL.

3ciWX1C.jpg

MacReady13

I’m assuming all 3 gaming companies would be happy-
Nintendo continues to dominate console sales with antiquated hardware.
Sony found their feet again by finally getting a somewhat steady stream of consoles out and showed how much still perceive PlayStation as the big brand in console gaming.
Microsoft, although not selling consoles, wouldn’t really care as they never release consoles sales cause they only care about game pass subs and from what I’m hearing from subscription fans, they’re making hundreds of millions in profits so all 3 big guys are winners! Yay!

SlimySnake

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

As bad as the difference is in November, the earlier months are extremely troubling. The PS5 numbers show that the sales increase as the supply increases. The Xbox which has not been supply constrained for a while now, at least the xss, did not see a similar increase and instead stayed around the 250-280k mark. That is not a good look.

Especially considering the U.S is their strongest market. Especially considering the xss is $200 cheaper. Especially considering they werent supply constrained to begin with.

How many of these are xsx? Half? Is the PS5 seriously outselling the xsx, it's main competition, by 3:1? And this AFTER the news of the Activision acquisition which shouldve convinced COD players to skip buying the PS5 at least out of fear of it becoming exclusive after three years. Not to mention the fact that starfield was announced as a 2022 game complete with a release date. That shouldve made a dent and convinced people to pick the xsx over the ps5. they didnt.

I keep saying this, but this is on Phil and he needs to go. Whatever he's doing is not enough. he had $8 billion to spend at the start of the year and he wasted them on starfield and redfall. two games that were always coming to xbox. use that money to get Fable, Perfect Dark and Avowed out faster.

P.S Sony has reached Nintendo status. They can post numbers like this on brand name alone. they had no next gen exclusives but people wanted to play their premiere AAA games on the next gen consoles. Or people dont care about their games and just like to play on playstation for some reason. i honestly cant make sense of this. i expect this from europe and asia, but these splits in North America are insane.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony found their feet again by finally getting a somewhat steady stream of consoles out and showed how much still perceive PlayStation as the big brand in console gaming.
Microsoft, although not selling consoles, wouldn’t really care as they never release consoles sales cause they only care about game pass subs and from what I’m hearing from subscription fans, they’re making hundreds of millions in profits so all 3 big guys are winners! Yay!
That's not true exactly. They do care about console sales a lot; they just don't share the data when it's not good. But they do talk about consoles sales when Xbox performs well. Recent example from earlier this year:

Only 1/3 of Xbox users even subscribe to Gamepass. And Gamepass subscription only accounts for ~15% of their total revenue. That leaves nearly 70% of their user base and 85% of the division's revenue to other channels: hardware and software sales. Those segments matter more than Gamepass, even if MS chooses not to talk about it.

Considering that Xbox Series has performed -44% worse than Xbox One (from 2014, 2015, and 2016!) this year in US console sales, despite selling one console at $229, I'm sure they will not be happy. In fact, they will be very pissed off after spending so much money and performing worse than previous generation.

Last edited:

yazenov

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

That's got to be absolutely embarrassing and demoralizing for MS when you get outsold by a more expensive console despite the huge price cut and fire sales in your home country where it is supposedly their strongest market. And they still landed in a distant 3rd place even when Sony was severely impacted by supply issues. This is why they don't disclose any numbers.

The problem for MS now is that there isn't any wiggle room for price cuts anytime soon as the console is already dirt cheap and they just reduced the price. They already tried to undercut their competition in price without much impact so any additional price cuts to boost sales will devalue the product. Now they can only compete in actual content, you know, by releasing actual games. Starfield better releases sooner rather than later as the sales of the Xbox consoles will come to a screeching halt. They better not release Starfield in November. Yes, "pre-season" is important, not only in the holidays.

Oh, and it's a shame High on Life is nowhere to be found in these charts since we were told that Gamepass was supposed to increase game sales. I guess the game underperformed, like the console itself.

Last edited:

yazenov

No way MS is happy with these results. Not even close.

MS just cut the price of their already cheap console in order to compete with the 2 other companies that didn't discount their products and they still ended up dead last. MS took a major hit in their revenue and profit and still can't compete with Sony and Nintendo.

And their Gamepass subscriber growth on console is slower than they anticipated due to lower console sales. You've got to sell consoles in order to sell software and drive subscriber growth. They failed on both fronts and anyone that says console sales don't matter to MS is delusional.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
In hindsight the ps5 will always have a touch time beating out the Swiytas long as it has compelling games releasing for it due to its price. 249.99 vs 399.99 for the cheapest ps5 that's what the parents of casual gamers look at when choosing a console.

They operate in different segments though, Switch is a handheld console, with lower price of entry and with the only big player in that segment being Nintendo.

Top Bottom