• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2022 and for the year 2022: #1 MW2 #2 Pokemon #3 God of War; NSW #1 Units (PS5 #2) PS5 #1 Revenue (NSW #2)

onQ123

I disagree. There is a tone of historical data from past generations that shows why no one releases two different specs models at launch probably for the following reasons: 1- manufacturing and a logistic nightmare; 2-avoid confusing consumers with different options. And 3- leave room for price reductions down the line with mass manufacturing and reduced cost of materials.

I'm sure there are tons of internal data from the past generations of successful market leaders that we do not have access to that shows why the Series S was a gamble that no one has done before, for a good reason. MS tried and failed. Their analysis should be fired.
Actually the Series S strategy pretty much work for everything you have a flagship model that's there to make the brand look good then you have lower end models that keep the brand afloat.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
When is this happening? All the spinning they'll have to do will be spicy.
Happened ~9 hours ago. Here is the first spin 😛

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...he-platform-hitting-120m-monthly-active-users

bvljCYa.jpg

Spoilers: Gamepass did not hit 120M (of course), but Windows Central made the article (headline and subheading) about GP but shared the 120M active users device number lol

Last edited:
PS4 & Xbox One continued to move a lot more units than PS4 Pro & Xbox One X then there is the data that they have today which places Series X at 10 million at the most without Series S with PS5 at 30 million this would be PS2 vs OG Xbox all over again if it wasn't for Series S . Devs would be running to PS5 & leaving Xbox out.

That's a different situation though especially with how XBO started. I don't remember them ever saying that though but I'm sure you can provide me with a source.

onQ123

That's a different situation though especially with how XBO started. I don't remember them ever saying that though but I'm sure you can provide me with a source.
A source for what? Everything I just said is well known 😂 unless you think Series X is well above 10 million & Series S is well below 10 million.

A source for what? Everything I just said is well known 😂 unless you think Series X is well above 10 million & Series S is well below 10 million.

No but your saying Xbox wouldn't exist without a Series S. I'm saying I haven't seen Microsoft said that. Also last gen things were very different especially with how XBO started out. Their troubles in the beginning wasn't due to the One S not existing.

Yeah, that's a good point. It reminds me of this.

As evidence points out, he was wrong in his assessment of the industry and strategy.

It just shows the main problem with Xbox comes from the top echelon's strategy and thinking. They are far removed from the ground realities of the gaming industry and continuously fail to realize what gamers actually want.

On top of it, add the following to the mix, and I've no idea what Microsoft leadership must be thinking right now. How do they steer this ship?

It's clear that Microsoft doesn't even think Starfield will save them this year. They think revenue will be down even further this year.

I think that Microsoft is probably thinking they regret doubling down on Phil Spencer with Activision, but they don't want to bow out and pay 3 billion dollars. (Imagine basically the value of Bungie).

At this point they have to be hoping regulators shut this down and save their bacon.

I don't want to be a pessimist, but I think they're in a dire situation and the only question is whether they double down or not. Sony is in as strong a position as they've been in the industry since the early 2000s and their revenue train is hitting maturity while Xbox hardware is already in decline 2 years into the product cycle.

With TLOU, Hogwarts*, FF16, Spider-Man 2, and probably TLOU Online, I think Sony is going to really pull away, and it won't really matter what games Microsoft launches with in 2024. Like with the N64, Ocarina of Time was a great game but the N64 never got the units to really have the game reflect the sales it should have had. Majora's Mask sold less than 4 million copies...

Same story with the Dreamcast and Shenmue. I mean Jak and Daxter outsold Sonic Adventure by nearly 2:1 ratio.

PS I know Hogwarts is on XSeries but PS5 is going to be the console of choice on it. With no PS4 version to compete with until April, it's going to be a matter of who has console units available. Maybe Series S will sell some, we'll see.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's clear that Microsoft doesn't even think Starfield will save them this year. They think revenue will be down even further this year.

I think that Microsoft is probably thinking they regret doubling down on Phil Spencer with Activision, but they don't want to bow out and pay 3 billion dollars. (Imagine basically the value of Bungie).

At this point they have to be hoping regulators shut this down and save their bacon.

I don't want to be a pessimist, but I think they're in a dire situation and the only question is whether they double down or not. Sony is in as strong a position as they've been in the industry since the early 2000s and their revenue train is hitting maturity while Xbox hardware is already in decline 2 years into the product cycle.

With TLOU, Hogwarts*, FF16, Spider-Man 2, and probably TLOU Online, I think Sony is going to really pull away, and it won't really matter what games Microsoft launches with in 2024. Like with the N64, Ocarina of Time was a great game but the N64 never got the units to really have the game reflect the sales it should have had. Majora's Mask sold less than 4 million copies...

Same story with the Dreamcast and Shenmue. I mean Jak and Daxter outsold Sonic Adventure by nearly 2:1 ratio.

PS I know Hogwarts is on XSeries but PS5 is going to be the console of choice on it. With no PS4 version to compete with until April, it's going to be a matter of who has console units available. Maybe Series S will sell some, we'll see.
I agree. Actually, PS fans have been saying the same thing for months now. PS was in an excellent position, and they had their games lineup for this generation spot on, right from the day the console launched.

Microsoft spent way too much money on these big acquisitions for games that were already gonna release on Xbox. So they didn't add anything to their library. Their focus was on removing games from PlayStation. That strategy was always gonna fail, as long as PlayStation's first-party studios kept adding new games to their pipeline, filling the gap caused by Xbox's acquisitions.

Just one thing though: Microsoft has to pay the penalty even if regulators block the ABK acquisition. That's in the contract they signed. So they are f'ed either way.

Their only hope now is that regulators approve the acquisition without needing many concessions from MS. And then the ABK acquisition makes a huge negative impact on PlayStation and a big positive impact on Xbox console sales and Gamepass subscribers (which I don't see happening at all for at least 3 years because of existing contracts).

By that time, PS would have gained an even bigger market share, and Xbox would be in no position to recover.

Their best bet now is to become a third-party publisher like EA, phase out their consoles (which bring up to $200 loss per console unit sale), create a first-party-only Gamepass tier, and put that tier on PlayStation and Nintendo.

^ yeah Hogwarts Legacy, Spiderman 2, FF16, TLOU Factions and PSVR2 with that truckload of software at launch seems like it'll be Sony's 'strongest' year for quite some time.

There is some respite for the competition as Forspoken is a bit of a dud 😄 Imagine that was like a ~85 MC would be another thing to move hardware.

onQ123

No but your saying Xbox wouldn't exist without a Series S. I'm saying I haven't seen Microsoft said that. Also last gen things were very different especially with how XBO started out. Their troubles in the beginning wasn't due to the One S not existing.
You think MS would have came into this generation with only a $499 console while pushing a subscription based service that cut into the sales of Xbox games after a generation of selling less than half of PlayStation 4?

Having a big user base is important to their strategy they would not have sent Series X out to die alone.

Do you somehow think that they would have sold more with only a $499 console than they have with a $299 & $499 console?

I agree. Actually, PS fans have been saying the same thing for months now. PS was in an excellent position, and they had their games lineup for this generation spot on, right from the day the console launched.

Microsoft spent way too much money on these big acquisitions for games that were already gonna release on Xbox. So they didn't add anything to their library. Their focus was on removing games from PlayStation. That strategy was always gonna fail, as long as PlayStation's first-party studios kept adding new games to their pipeline, filling the gap caused by Xbox's acquisitions.

Just one thing though: Microsoft has to pay the penalty even if regulators block the ABK acquisition. That's in the contract they signed. So they are f'ed either way.

Their only hope now is that regulators approve the acquisition without needing many concessions from MS. And then the ABK acquisition makes a huge negative impact on PlayStation and a big positive impact on Xbox console sales and Gamepass subscribers (which I don't see happening at all for at least 3 years because of existing contracts).

By that time, PS would have gained an even bigger market share, and Xbox would be in no position to recover.

Their best bet now is to become a third-party publisher like EA, phase out their consoles (which bring up to $200 loss per console unit sale), create a first-party-only Gamepass tier, and put that tier on PlayStation and Nintendo.

I keep hearing people say they should go 3rd party. I don't think as a publisher their games would rank that highly, it's literally the reason why they've struggled to sell their own hardware consistently. They might be able to make money off of some of their back catalog and mojang, but aside from that I'm not seeing it. I also don't see a gamepass 1st party tier having any success on PlayStation let alone Switch.

I think you see a sell off combined with a streamlining of their studios and IP. Games like Flight Simulator, Forza, Halo, Elder Scroll's and Gears of War, they could maybe continue on PC and PS5, but as stand-alone products not a subscription.

^ yeah Hogwarts Legacy, Spiderman 2, FF16, TLOU Factions and PSVR2 with that truckload of software at launch seems like it'll be Sony's 'strongest' year for quite some time.

There is some respite for the competition as Forspoken is a bit of a dud 😄 Imagine that was like a ~85 MC would be another thing to move hardware.

I don't know why anyone thought Forspoken was going to be a solid game. It looked like trash from day 1. Releasing it at the same time as Dead Space and Hogwarts... this will fall off the charts pretty quickly.

You think MS would have came into this generation with only a $499 console while pushing a subscription based service that cut into the sales of Xbox games after a generation of selling less than half of PlayStation 4?

Having a big user base is important to their strategy they would not have sent Series X out to die alone.

Do you somehow think that they would have sold more with only a $499 console than they have with a $299 & $499 console?

They desperately want to come out with the Xbox Streaming Stick, but they just saw Stadia fail and they know the market isn't there yet.

They can't cut the price of the XSS much more, but I do think you'll see some deals where if you sign up for a year of gamepass you'll get a free Series S. They aren't selling, so they might as well try to lock people in before they buy PS5s.

Honestly, I'd announce this deal before Hogwarts comes out. That's a hefty deal though, so maybe you do like 100 dollars and a year long commitment to gamepass.

onQ123

If you think Microsoft is trying to buy Activision for Xbox console gaming you're mistaking and if anything they want this deal more than ever with Xbox sales declining.

Last edited:

onQ123

They desperately want to come out with the Xbox Streaming Stick, but they just saw Stadia fail and they know the market isn't there yet.

They can't cut the price of the XSS much more, but I do think you'll see some deals where if you sign up for a year of gamepass you'll get a free Series S. They aren't selling, so they might as well try to lock people in before they buy PS5s.

Honestly, I'd announce this deal before Hogwarts comes out. That's a hefty deal though, so maybe you do like 100 dollars and a year long commitment to gamepass.
That deal is already going Xbox All Access but it's 2 years without the $100 upfront price

If you think Microsoft is trying to buy Activision for Xbox console gaming you'll mistaking and if anything they want this deal more than ever with Xbox sales declining.

Who do you think they're entrusting Activision to? This idea was all Phil Spencer's and a couple more rough years and he is out, maybe even just one really rough year.

They wanted to build gaming outside of consoles, but they also wanted to bolster Xbox, let's not pretend that wasn't a big part of this. GamePass goes as Xbox goes.

They wanted a foot in the door in mobile as well.

Don't know if any of this is pursued without Spencer. They're about to be in a battle with Google over Google Workspace and Office 365. They just raised enterprise prices and more companies are going to move to Google. It makes way more sense to shore up their existing core business than to double down on Xbox if things continue as is.

They've got a really big day ahead of them, but these things never work out well when they're forced. They project their software sales to be even lower this year even with Forza, Starfield, and Redfall... that's concerning...

Well hasn't it been confirmed the Series X is outselling the Series S?

It's definitely possible for them to sell more units if they focused on the more popular model. Xbox wouldn't have died without the Series S. That's just fantasy.

In this thread, for some reason people think one XSS by itself, not beating the PS5 is somehow, surprising.

Phil literally said there wouldn't be enough supply to meet demand in the holiday lol, of course Xbox lost with only XSS, they only had stock for Black Friday and Christmas Eve, which is why Series X was top selling gaming product on both those days, that's only one day for both DEC and Nov, I'm sure the Dec gap will be similar for the same reason.

The only issue to discuss here is why Phil failed with months in advance and false promises to get more XSX ready for the holiday.

I also want to mention Phil has been by far the longest "leader" in charge of anything gaming related to Microsoft, including the pre-console days. Nadella even created a new position for him based on his promises, I'm sure Nadella is hopping mad right now.

onQ123

In this thread, for some reason people think one XSS by itself, not beating the PS5 is somehow, surprising.

Phil literally said there wouldn't be enough supply to meet demand in the holiday lol, of course Xbox lost with only XSS, they only had stock for Black Friday and Christmas Eve, which is why Series X was top selling gaming product on both those days, that's only one day for both DEC and Nov, I'm sure the Dec gap will be similar for the same reason.

The only issue to discuss here is why Phil failed with months in advance and false promises to get more XSX ready for the holiday.

I also want to mention Phil has been by far the longest "leader" in charge of anything gaming related to Microsoft, including the pre-console days. Nadella even created a new position for him based on his promises, I'm sure Nadella is hopping mad right now.
Maybe Xbox Series X is just a facade & Series S is the main console & they are waiting for a die shrink before they actually mass produce Series X or maybe they know what's going to sell & they produce what they can move.

Maybe Xbox Series X is just a facade & Series S is the main console & they are waiting for a die shrink before they actually mass produce Series X or maybe they know what's going to sell & they produce what they can move.

PS5 and XSX aren't that different, and the PS5 requires more to compete a set, so the fact it's more available now and the XSX is not got nothing to do with a die shrink.

Not sure what the reason is, but leadership didn't solve it as they promised month ago, remember, Phil said there wasn't enough supply for demand before the holidays.

I've seen many articles reporting on the 120 million and the GP "news highs" but there clearly aren't 120 million Gamepass users so that data point is rather odd.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've seen many articles reporting on the 120 million and the G "news highs" but there clearly aren't 120 million Gamepass users so that data point is rather odd.
It's the MAU, which includes all Xbox users (Live, Gamepass, free). I think it also includes Windows users but not 100% sure. It definitely includes Mincraft users on PlayStation. So it's a hodge-podge of different things and, quite frankly, a useless metric in this context.

The Windows Central intentionally and strategically lumped it with Gamepass in the title to send the wrong impression. 'The platform' here (after mentioning Gamepass previously in the title) does not refer to the Gamepass platform. It refers to the Xbox platform.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm so happy she's back online with these leaks. She was one of the best things GAF ever had. Until NPD came for her.

Is it just a one off thing? Would love if we get actual monthly sales numbers again like we used to. These new leaks are really telling. Microsoft won't be happy though.. leaked sales numbers is exactly what they don't want.

Last edited:
It's the MAU, which includes all Xbox users (Live, Gamepass, free). I think it also includes Windows users but not 100% sure. It definitely includes Mincraft users on PlayStation. So it's a hodge-podge of different things and, quite frankly, a useless metric in this context.

The Windows Central intentionally and strategically lumped it with Gamepass in the title to send the wrong impression. 'The platform' here (after mentioning Gamepass previously in the title) does not refer to the Gamepass platform. It refers to the Xbox platform.

Windows central isn't the only outlet that lumped it in with gamepass, VG247 did it, so did trusted reviews, 9to5google, several on twitter, and probably others. In fact, fact WC may have been late to the spin game.

Makes me wonder what MS sent to the press.

onQ123

PS5 and XSX aren't that different, and the PS5 requires more to compete a set, so the fact it's more available now and the XSX is not got nothing to do with a die shrink.

Not sure what the reason is, but leadership didn't solve it as they promised month ago, remember, Phil said there wasn't enough supply for demand before the holidays.
What I'm saying is they might not have planned to sell a lot of the bigger console because of the $200 hit they was taking so they're waiting for the die shrink so it's less of a hit .

What I'm saying is they might not have planned to sell a lot of the bigger console because of the $200 hit they was taking so they're waiting for the die shrink so it's less of a hit .

They never said they took $200 hits for the XSX, that's been a misquoted interview for awhile now, Phil was giving a general example comparing gaming consoles in general to other products. Consoles are often lost leaders, since 1995.

so after everything microsoft have done in these last few years and yet they are more behind the PS5 now then they were with xbox one with PS4. genuinely surprised about this. i thought xbox would atleast close the gap a little in the US. what hope do they have this year with sony have plenty of stock, a new upcoming model and of course software releases. it feels like sony have already ran away with the generation.

onQ123

They never said they took $200 hits for the XSX, that's been a misquoted interview for awhile now, Phil was giving a general example comparing gaming consoles in general to other products. Consoles are often lost leaders, since 1995.
He said they was taking a hit between $100 - $200

"Consoles as a business model, in the overall scope of gaming, is fairly small relative to the places people play. Consoles evolved to a business model much different from phones where consoles are actually sold at a loss in the market. So when somebody goes and they buy an Xbox at their local retailer we're subsidizing that purchase somewhere between a hundred and two hundred dollars, with the expectation that we will recoup that investment over time through accessory sales and storefront."

He said they was taking a hit between $100 - $200

"Consoles as a business model, in the overall scope of gaming, is fairly small relative to the places people play. Consoles evolved to a business model much different from phones where consoles are actually sold at a loss in the market. So when somebody goes and they buy an Xbox at their local retailer we're subsidizing that purchase somewhere between a hundred and two hundred dollars, with the expectation that we will recoup that investment over time through accessory sales and storefront."

Why did you ignore the "Consoles evolved to a business model much different from phones where consoles are actually sold at a loss in the market" and then act like he specifically gave details of what consoles lost what when he didn't?

so after everything microsoft have done in these last few years and yet they are more behind the PS5 now then they were with xbox one with PS4. genuinely surprised about this. i thought xbox would atleast close the gap a little in the US. what hope do they have this year with sony have plenty of stock, a new upcoming model and of course software releases. it feels like sony have already ran away with the generation.

I don't get how people are surprised at this when only one of two xboxes have been in stock and have been widely available to buy.

People spend many months on this forum trashing the XSS as not a competitor to the PS5, but now it's a competitor to the PS5 because of this NPD leak??

Come now, it's very clear why there was such a gap between XBS and PS5 in NPD, because Microsoft as they TOLD US BEFORE the holidays, did not have enough XSX supply to meet demand. We were told this ahead of time.

jm89

I don't get how people are surprised at this when only one of two xboxes have been in stock and have been widely available to buy.

People spend many months on this forum trashing the XSS as not a competitor to the PS5, but now it's a competitor to the PS5 because of this NPD leak??

Come now, it's very clear why there was such a gap between XBS and PS5 in NPD, because Microsoft as they TOLD US BEFORE the holidays, did not have enough XSX supply to meet demand. We were told this ahead of time.
You keep going on about this same point about how the XSX would have changed things, and that maybe the case but we don't know.

But what your not understanding is people are looking at the strategy MS used during the holidays of relying on XSS + gamepass + discount. Which clearly has not worked to keep up with competition.

Whether XSX can help keep xbox close to playstation remains to be seen.

mckmas8808

Banned

And people are underestimating what PSVR2 will do for PS5 sales too. It won't increase sales like crazy, but a 10% boost is what I'm expecting.

mckmas8808

Banned

It was the "OTHER" people that said that MS' strategy was the correct one due to the cost to the consumer and that Sony should have copied them. So now all of a sudden that's not the case now? I been told people on this forum that the XSS was a mistake, yet here we are.

onQ123

Why did you ignore the "Consoles evolved to a business model much different from phones where consoles are actually sold at a loss in the market" and then act like he specifically gave details of what consoles lost what when he didn't?

And why did you ignore him saying " So when somebody goes and they buy an Xbox at their local retailer we're subsidizing that purchase somewhere between a hundred and two hundred dollars"

That interview was from a few months ago & the only Xboxes being sold in stores is Xbox Series S/X

do you think he is somehow talking about the OG Xbox? lol

And why did you ignore him saying " So when somebody goes and they buy an Xbox at their local retailer we're subsidizing that purchase somewhere between a hundred and two hundred dollars"

That interview was from a few months ago & the only Xboxes being sold in stores is Xbox Series S/X

do you think he is somehow talking about the OG Xbox? lol

what part of that quote specified a model and what they were specifically losing for that model?

jzosa

Eddie been active here and in the Famitsu thread defending poor Xbox sales during the holidays as due to unavailability but common sense dictates that those active sales of the S means they have too much on shelves that they need to get rid of.

We already have numbers, man. The market (US and Japan) has spoken.

June - Nov
2022 PS5 3,197,000
2015 PS4 2,960,000

2015 One 2,580,000
2022 X|S 2,037,000

May be off-topic but do we have LTD sales of both? Since Xbox won some quarters before, we could see how each stack up against their predecessors.

You keep going on about this same point about how the XSX would have changed things, and that maybe the case but we don't know.

We literally have a break down of XBS vs. PS5 sales month to month leading up to NOV, and the gaps early on started right after Xboxs last win which was right when Microsoft announced X supply issues, and those earlier gapes were so small Xbox clearly would have won those months if the X has stock.

Then before November we got the announcement not just from Phil Spencer that Xbox will be supply constrained this holiday AND going into 2023, we also got Xbox France, and another country (forgot the thread) having execs say there is not enough supply for the X to meet demand (well france said XBS but it's clearly not the XSS that was supply constrained.)

Let's be frank here, the Xbox Series sales gap widening is due to incompetence.

But what your not understanding is people are looking at the strategy MS used during the holidays of relying on XSS + gamepass + discount. Which clearly has not worked to keep up with competition.

Why would XSS+Gamepass_Discount by ITSELF keep up with the PS5 when the Series S is widely known as the digital-only weaker entry level thing, and many people actually want PS5/Series X level graphics?

You're using the same strange logic people did saying that people were buying the XSS because they couldn't find a PS5, despite wanting a PS5 exclusively for capabilities and/or games.

The Xbox Series S by itself propelled the XBS during a low stock X November (outside of Black Friday) to sell over 800K consoles. That's the best performance we will ever see the Series S do without support, period.

I have no idea why people though XBS would win with XSS alone, originally, people were expecting a win because they believed Microsoft would have a crap load of stock ready for Nov, that they ended up backtracking on. So I have no idea how it flipped to XSS alone outselling the PS5.

It was the "OTHER" people that said that MS' strategy was the correct one due to the cost to the consumer and that Sony should have copied them. So now all of a sudden that's not the case now? I been told people on this forum that the XSS was a mistake, yet here we are.

None of this makes sense.

The only strategy MS had after backtracking on their promises of big X stock this holiday, was to cut the S price from the start of the holiday season across both months near entirely, to make up for no X stock. That was always the case, and all those promotional threads were for that reason, those promotions were made so MS could try and cover for the lack of X to balance out XBS sales.

Yes, in one way Sony should have copied them, because in hindsight Sony was able to get PS5 production going faster and Xbox was not for the X, which many people predicted in the opposite direction months ago. So if they did a Series S console with the PS5 along with the PS5, right now their sales would be higher

Because Xbox failed to improve, now the XBS sales are lower.

Hoppa

I’m a little bit surprised to see FIFA so high up on the US sales chart, thought it was just a European/South American thing

Eddie been active here and in the Famitsu thread defending poor Xbox sales during the holidays as due to unavailability but common sense dictates that those active sales of the S means they have too much on shelves that they need to get rid of.

We already have numbers, man. The market (US and Japan) has spoken.

May be off-topic but do we have LTD sales of both? Since Xbox won some quarters before, we could see how each stack up against their predecessors.

XBS is over 1M behind Xbox One at this point because of the recent holiday blunter (in the US NPD)

Top Bottom