• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2022 and for the year 2022: #1 MW2 #2 Pokemon #3 God of War; NSW #1 Units (PS5 #2) PS5 #1 Revenue (NSW #2)

Why even act this crazy like you don't understand what's in plain text?

This is what you said,

What I'm saying is they might not have planned to sell a lot of the bigger console because of the $200 hit they was taking

You based this off taking a quote out of context that gave no such specifics. The only crazy acting going on here is you trying to backtrack under the table.

Eddie been active here and in the Famitsu thread defending poor Xbox sales during the holidays as due to unavailability but common sense dictates that those active sales of the S means they have too much on shelves that they need to get rid of.

We already have numbers, man. The market (US and Japan) has spoken.

May be off-topic but do we have LTD sales of both? Since Xbox won some quarters before, we could see how each stack up against their predecessors.

The very chart you posted shows gaps that would be coverable with more X stock.

We have gotten word from multiple MS sources about lack of supply for X for months, most importantly, before the holiday rush.

In japan there has almost never been any adequate supply of X since launch.

Why not actually look at the situation clearly based on EVIDENCE? Also quotes and direct statements form people WITH the data?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...-demand-this-holiday-supply-shortage.1645011/

Last edited:
Tweets

Summary:
- December Revenue up 2% (HW up 16% but software down 1% and accessories down 2%): I am trying to figure out if up 16% is good.
- 2022 Revenue down 5% (HW up 8% but software down 7% and accessories down 8%)

- HW Revenue for Dec 22: PS5, Switch, XBS
- HW Units for Dec 22: Switch, PS5, XBS
- HW Revenue for 2022: PS5, Switch, XBS
- HW Units for 2022: Switch, PS5, XBS

- December new games, Need for Speed #8, Crisis Core #10, Callisto Protocol 17*
- Top 3 games for PS for the year: COD, GoW and ER
- Top 3 games for Xbox for the year: COD, ER and NFL
- Top 3 games for Switch for the year: Pokemon S/V, Pokemon Arceus, MK8

*no digital

Based on what we know from the Microsoft report hardware being up 8 perccent, but Xbox hardware being down 13% means Switch and PS5 really had to hold the fort.

Software being down 7 percent and Xbox software being down 13% means that Xbox may be entirely responsible for the 7 percent decrease. My guess is that Switch software is flat or near flat with a possible slight decrease.

jzosa

This is what you said,

You based this off taking a quote out of context that gave no such specifics. The only crazy acting going on here is you trying to backtrack under the table.

We have gotten word from multiple MS sources about lack of supply for X for months, most importantly, before the holiday rush.

Why not actually look at the situation clearly based on EVIDENCE? Also quotes and direct statements form people WITH the data?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...-demand-this-holiday-supply-shortage.1645011/
Evidence in France?
This is what you said,

Evidence based on statements made by Xbox France? We're talking NPD here so I don't know why you use this quote here since it's not applicable. So you're telling me the supply situation in France is the same in the US that's why there's also low sales (relative to the competition) in the latter?

onQ123

This is what you said,

I'm not back tracking on anything you know damn well they are not taking that hit on the Series S stop playing dumb. They said from $100 - $200 when you buy a Xbox .

You're using the excuse that it's a shortage on Series X & I'm telling you why that might be .

reksveks

Based on what we know from the Microsoft report hardware being up 8 perccent, but Xbox hardware being down 13% means Switch and PS5 really had to hold the fort.

Software being down 7 percent and Xbox software being down 13% means that Xbox may be entirely responsible for the 7 percent decrease. My guess is that Switch software is flat or near flat with a possible slight decrease.
remember the 8% up is for the year, and 13% decline is for the quarter globally, I haven't seen or calculated what the year change for MS is. Basically need to probably plot this out or make a single table so it's easy to compare between quarters and regions.

Generally think Sony and Nintendo is doing okay in the US.

remember the 8% up is for the year, and 13% decline is for the quarter globally, I haven't seen or calculated what the year change for MS is. Basically need to probably plot this out or make a single table so it's easy to compare between quarters and regions.

Generally think Sony and Nintendo is doing okay in the US.

The quarter is the biggest of the year. Obviously, Sony had their biggest hardware year for PS5 and largely due to the quarter.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Guy who does the estimates for VGChartz.
TrunksWD said:
I hope the mods don't mind me chiming in as I am the one who does the estimates for VGChartz. Since taking over the estimates I try to be as open as possible about the estimates being just that and the fact adjustments do occur when more data becomes available.

Starting with 2023 I've made the call to change how we do things and wait for monthly data (NPD for US, GamesIndustry UK and Europe reports) before posting estimates. Our coder is currently working on making changes, so I can post all 4 or 5 weeks of a given month at once rather than one week at a time. While they will still be estimates it should mean the initial estimates we post will be more accurate going forward.

As far as software estimates, we decided to stop doing those back in 2018 and only report on official sales/shipment figures for games.

A big thank you to everyone here who has been welcoming to me when I do post despite the VGChartz poor reputation. And a thanks to all the data collection you all do here as it does help me with the estimates.

Last edited:
Evidence in France?

The guy was indicating globally not just france.

Poor eddie the npd numbers have sent him into a bit of a rampage. His having the same rampage on another forum, isn't that right Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin the nutritionist :messenger_winking:

Last I checked I only posted here.

I'm not back tracking on anything you know damn well they are not taking that hit on the Series S stop playing dumb. They said from $100 - $200 when you buy a Xbox .

You're using the excuse that it's a shortage on Series X & I'm telling you why that might be .

Again, you have no evidence in your own link they are losing $200 on the Series X, and your quote is out of context.

You went from saying bluntly that it was a $200 loss, to saying what do you think, then to a range. That's the definition of backtracking.

Even if it was actually true, which we don't know, why would the X be the one losing $200? Because it's stronger? The Series S is stronger and slim, compared to the One X, and the One X never dropped in price once from $499 msrp. For all we know the S is what they are losing $200 on.

But again, we don't know, so originally you acting like we did doesn't make sense.

I'm surprised they let him on a sales forum.

Yeah he's doing the nice guy approach, he does that on twitter too, but Vgchartz is still using the same malicious tactics they always have. They just cover it up with PR now.

Last edited:

jm89

wag-finger-baby.gif

onQ123

The guy was indicating globally not just france.

Again, you have no evidence in your own link they are losing $200 on the Series X, and your quote is out of context.

You went from saying bluntly that it was a $200 loss, to saying what do you think, then to a range. That's the definition of backtracking.

Even if it was actually true, which we don't know, why would the X be the one losing $200? Because it's stronger? The Series S is stronger and slim, compared to the One X, and the One X never dropped in price once from $499 msrp. For all we know the S is what they are losing $200 on.

But again, we don't know, so originally you acting like we did doesn't make sense.

I'm surprised they let him on a sales forum.

Yeah he's doing the nice guy approach, he does that on twitter too, but Vgchartz is still using the same malicious tactics they always have. They just cover it up with PR now.

Nothing was out of context he said they take a $100 - $200 hit when someone buy a Xbox that they have to make up for

Mozza

It's fine if you connect it to your TV, however this is a sales thread and I think that differentiating in what markets they operate is very important for discussion, because people make all sorts of comparisons that frankly do not make sense and discussion gets bogged down in those. It's a more accessible product price wise, as fas as I know, attachment rate isn't as good as in home consoles, and it's not a replacement good for an Xbox/PS/PC, but rather a complementary one to those.
Totally agree with the Switch appealing to different customers, not so sure the software attachment rate on the Switch is that different though.

onQ123

The Software tie ratio is 8.03 and rising every quarter. It is way above all Nintendo's handheld console's and compared to Nintendo's home console's it is Above N64, SNES and Wii U but below NES,Wii and GC. NSW should have a higher tie ratio than NES by next quarter.

y2N8Nnh.png
Why am I quoted for this?

Totally agree with the Switch appealing to different customers, not so sure the software attachment rate on the Switch is that different though.
The Software tie ratio is 8.03 and rising every quarter. It is way above all Nintendo's handheld console's and compared to Nintendo's home console's it is Above N64, SNES and Wii U but below NES,Wii and GC. NSW should have a higher tie ratio than NES by next quarter.

y2N8Nnh.png

MrA

Banned

y2N8Nnh.png
Also worth mentioning the ps4 hit 1 billion software unit in 2019, with the switch likely reaching 1 billion during the last holiday season, so pretty close software totals since launch

... in a interesting side notes ps5s and xsx are readily available at most of my local walmarts, but more interesting was they had ps4s in stock I wonder if sony has decided the ps4 still has a little life left, maybe they can hit 120 million with it

Woopah

Also worth mentioning the ps4 hit 1 billion software unit in 2019, with the switch likely reaching 1 billion during the last holiday season, so pretty close software totals since launch

... in a interesting side notes ps5s and xsx are readily available at most of my local walmarts, but more interesting was they had ps4s in stock I wonder if sony has decided the ps4 still has a little life left, maybe they can hit 120 million with it
Plus that Swithc software figure doesn't include digital only games like Sports Story.

On your other point, its good to see that the console shortage looks to being nealry over in North America at least. Now we just need the same to happen in Europe and elsewhere.

mckmas8808

Banned
XSS is a weird little console. While it's true that it hasnt help them outsell the PS5 like they thought it would, it is probably the only reason why they have remained somewhat competitive. Majority of the XS sales have been the XSS. We dont know the exact split but ive reports dating back to 2021 that it was above 50%. The XSX is finally in stock so that ratio might have gone down a bit, looking at the flat sales over the last few months, it doesnt look like the XSX availability has made a dent.

What I am saying is that if it wasnt for the XSS, the Xbox wouldve sold far fewer units. Assuming they are around 20 million sold so far, it's safe to assume that the XSX wouldve been under 10 million sold compared to the 30 million PS5s out there. Those are OG Xbox, Wii U and Gamecube numbers. Expected considering the disastrous gen they had last gen in terms of exclusive software, but 20 million is fairly respectable and they dont get there without the cheap $300 SKU that brought in casuals, albeit a smaller than expected number of them.

You have to wonder if the XSS was greenlit because Phil knew he couldnt produce enough XSXs to meet demand or because he couldnt afford to make 20 million were that very being sold for a $200 loss like that report said. If Sony can ship 30 million PS5s, why is Phil only able to ship 10 million or XSXs? That XSS probably saved his ass by inflating sales numbers and keeping MS very competitive in the NA for the first year and half during the pandemic. Probably helped him keep his job now that i think about it.

One has to wonder what the "average" Xbox Series gamer will feel about this generation's games, compared to your average PS5 gamer. If 50% of all Series consoles are the XSS, then that taints their feelings about this gen if you think about it.

Does the average XSS owner honestly realize what they will be missing starting this year when the "real" next-gen games start coming out for Xbox and other 3rd party devs?

Poltz

NPD - 2022’s Strong Finish Brings Optimism to 2023

Video Game Hardware​

Spending on video game hardware totaled $6.6 billion in 2022, increasing 8% over 2021. Q4 2022 performed particularly well, as spending grew 21% compared to Q4 2021 and reached $3.2 billion.

PlayStation 5 was 2022’s best-selling console in dollar sales, while Nintendo Switch led in hardware unit sales.

PlayStation 5 sold particularly well in Q4, driven by increased supply reaching the market. Dollar sales for PlayStation 5 nearly doubled in Q4 2022 compared to the prior year, and PlayStation 5 finished the quarter as the leading hardware platform in both unit and dollar sales.

Last edited:

Fanboys are always so obsessed with minimising PlayStation Studios games' success by saying it's due to the bundles. Like that mattered.

I think even if there were bundles a shit ton of people bought the game at full price. And even talking about bundles many PS5s were sold so how can anyone see that as being bad?

Woopah

Yeah PS5 is winning 2023...
I don't see any other outcome. Switch will continue delcining, a Switch 2 (if it releases this year) would only be on sale for a few months at best, and I can't see MS first party games giving Xbox enough growth unless their 2023 lineup is far more than I currently predict.

MrA

Banned
I don't see any other outcome. Switch will continue delcining, a Switch 2 (if it releases this year) would only be on sale for a few months at best, and I can't see MS first party games giving Xbox enough growth unless their 2023 lineup is far more than I currently predict.
No way man its going be long shot 3rd party candidate intellivision amico taking home the top spot next year

Top Bottom