• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2022 - Total revenue down 9% YoY , down 10% YTD, PS5 #1 Rev, Switch #1 units and Xenoblade 3 enters at #4

KingT731

I wonder if the switch is over a billion sw if all the digital only games are included (since Nintendo doesn't include them in the sw totals) there are like 4500 games on the store (though I'm sure plenty sell like 3 copies) and under 20% have physical releaese
They count the game sales but games with no physical release are financially separated in their reports. They split them specifically "downloadable versions of packaged software" and then Digital-Only Software/Add-On Content/Nintendo Switch Online. Nintendo just doesn't report their digital sales so orgs like NPD have to get the info from the publisher themselves.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

I still think reporting a revenue ranking is irrelevant compared to unit sales; the install base is what matters the most, and revenue isn't profit.

Kagey K

Banned
I still think reporting a revenue ranking is irrelevant compared to unit sales; the install base is what matters the most, and revenue isn't profit.
Everything NPD is reported in revenue, only reason we get get unit rankings is when Mat decides to follow up on the revenue reports.

Didn't used to be that way, until Sony cried about it during the PS3 days. Prior to that we got all sales numbers period.

And usually PR reports from each company that said why the sales were good or bad that month.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

Everything NPD is reported in revenue, only reason we get get unit rankings is when Mat decides to follow up on the revenue reports.

Didn't used to be that way, until Sony cried about it during the PS3 days. Prior to that we got all sales numbers period.

And usually PR reports from each company that said why the sales were good or bad that month.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the insights mate

Woopah

They count the game sales but games with no physical release are financially separated in their reports. They split them specifically "downloadable versions of packaged software" and then Digital-Only Software/Add-On Content/Nintendo Switch Online. Nintendo just doesn't report their digital sales so orgs like NPD have to get the info from the publisher themselves.
That split is for revenue though right?

I think what M MrA is referring to is that, when Nintendo reports total Switch software unit sales, they don't include digital-only titles.

NahaNago

Nintendo is just doing crazy numbers with these sales it seems. They have 7 games in the top 20 for sales for the year so far and 7 games in the top 20 for sales in July.

I wonder when half the games will be Nintendo games again on either of those charts.

Nautilus

Banned
Nintendo should put Xeno on a freezer and invest in a Golden Sun game already.
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Woopah

Nintendo is just doing crazy numbers with these sales it seems. They have 7 games in the top 20 for sales for the year so far and 7 games in the top 20 for sales in July.

I wonder when half the games will be Nintendo games again on either of those charts.
Its come close before and would definitely happen if Nintendo shared digital sales. They are already holding more than half the spots in the charts from Spain, Germany, Switzerland etc.

Top Bottom