• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2022 - Total revenue down 9% YoY , down 10% YTD, PS5 #1 Rev, Switch #1 units and Xenoblade 3 enters at #4

reksveks

no but i guess you are to NEOGAF NPD threads. how many times has #1 revenue been in the titles?

here..
https://www.neogaf.com/search/3343827/?q=npd&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance
Topher Topher mentioned, I did just include information that I found interesting.

It does kinda depend on how much time I have when the results come out and is rather random. I have done at least 3 times.

oEaepyL.png

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
no but i guess you are to NEOGAF NPD threads. how many times has #1 revenue been in the titles?

here..
https://www.neogaf.com/search/3343827/?q=npd&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

I'm not because Reks has mentioned revenue in the title before.

Since I've seen him on the installbaseforum before, then it should come to no surprise that he would mention it here, too.
https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/forums/sales-and-news.6/?prefix_id=3

Ozriel

M$FT
Quite frankly Im shocked that MLB the Show is outselling GT7 and almost outsold Horizon FW. This is a series that sells a million copies a year. It is outselling GT which typically sells 10 million Lifetime. It likely outsold HFW if you dont count the latest bundles.

It isn’t even fully tracked, as it excludes Xbox and Switch digital. Might be 3rd YTD

The real shocker in the chart is how low COD Vanguard is

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Topher Topher mentioned, I did just include information that I found interesting.

It does kinda depend on how much time I have when the results come out and is rather random. I have done at least 3 times.

oEaepyL.png

So 3 times including today. I wont say anymore. Just pointing out an obvious pattern that jumped out at me.

KingT731

Quite frankly Im shocked that MLB the Show is outselling GT7 and almost outsold Horizon FW. This is a series that sells a million copies a year. It is outselling GT which typically sells 10 million Lifetime. It likely outsold HFW if you dont count the latest bundles.

Maybe the actual sales figures are way better and MLB the Show is selling 2-3 million in its first few months nowadays. Sony needs to start releasing their numbers again so we can stop guestimating.
MLB has always done well in the states but it's nonexistent outside the US though really which is where that sales divide happens.

reksveks

So 3 times including today. I wont say anymore. Just pointing out an obvious pattern that jumped out at me.
Bit of a weird pattern especially since the June results also had PS as the #1 revenue for the month but yeah, let's just leave it.

It was 3/6 (excluding one which is the NPD forecast and one was created before we got the full information).

Ehh, moving on now.

Horizon 2, an exclusive game outselling Call of Duty Vanguard which is on every platform is quite an achievement for a "flop"

Some people will continue to want to push the narrative HFW is a failure, no matter what facts disprove the thought, because for them they need a big Sony game to fail. That's really all it's about for them.

Couldn't be me, for any game. I don't want a game to fail, but if a game is actually performing badly in some objectively measurable way, then that's worth talking about. Handily outselling a COD game for YTD is kind of the polar opposite of a "flop" even if a handful of other games have sold even more.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MLB has always done well in the states but it's nonexistent outside the US though really which is where that sales divide happens.
I remember it would top out at 1 million, but I just googled and it seems that changed last year and it sold 2 million units worldwide. If we are to assume 99% of those sales came from the U.S, its safe to assume that this year the game sold around the same number of copies if not more considering it also launched on the switch. Which would mean HFW has sold over 2 million in NA alone. Which is actually pretty impressive.

Last edited:

KingT731

I remember it would top out at 1 million, but I just googled and it seems that changed last year and it sold 2 million units worldwide. If we are to assume 99% of those sales came from the U.S, its safe to assume that this year the game sold around the same number of copies if not more considering it also launched on the switch. Which would mean HFW has sold over 2 million in NA alone. Which is actually pretty impressive.
I think a lot of people took Sony not giving sales milestones as some confirmation that GT/HFW weren't selling well. It's just they're being compared to the juggernaut that is Elden Ring (PS accounted for somewhere around 40% of the sales at launch)

I think a lot of people took Sony not giving sales milestones as some confirmation that GT/HFW weren't selling well. It's just they're being compared to the juggernaut that is Elden Ring (PS accounted for somewhere around 40% of the sales at launch)

Basically. And it was always a weird flex because Elden Ring is a multiplatform release, it's naturally assumed multiplats, especially highly anticipated ones, will sell more than exclusives on a single platform or in a single product ecosystem.

Even with that said, both HFW and GT7 are showing some great legs and before someone brings up the fact they're being put in bundles, those bundles still cost more than the systems on their own meaning the game is adding to the bundle price. Also if people were going to pick the games up anyway, why buy them separately when a bundle puts them both in a single package?

Also weird how bundles suddenly became a dirty talking point only with those games, and not the myriad of bundles from Microsoft or even Nintendo for otherwise well-performing games (MK8 for example). I'm all for discussing stuff but folks gotta keep that same energy across the board.

To be fair Sony not giving numbers outside of big hits post the start of the gen does seem to be an indicator that at the very least expectations are not being met. They gave sales for almost all the earlier games and then stopped giving them after that last report that included Spider man, Ratchet, Returnal, and Demon Souls numbers.

yazenov

Digimon did well for only 2 days of tracking.

Also I read that NPD doesn't track the publishers of Stray so its not on the charts.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Keep in mind the HFW are inflated by bundles that they have been selling since the end of May.

Woopah

Some thoughts from my side:
  • I'm shocked to see Multiverse at the top, didn't expect that at all
  • Good start from Xenoblade 3, I think its going to hit 3 million or more globally
  • Very impressive legs from Elden Ring, Lego and The Show. Surprising legs from Kirby as well.
  • 4 COD games in the Xbox top 10 is insane
  • NPD doesn't track software of forced bundles, so Horizon 2 being at 6 on PlayStation is very good
  • Live A Live seems to have just missed out on the top 20, but its good to see it and Digimon in the Switch top 10
  • Happy that Rise hung in there
  • Publisher-wise it goes
    • Nintendo - 7
    • Activision Blizzard - 4
    • Warner Bros. 2
    • Bandai Namco -2
    • Others - 2
    • EA - 1
    • Ubisoft - 1
    • Capcom - 1

Last edited:
I always predicted that XB3 or Splatoon 3 will not outsell the previous games. It's late in the system life, and these are both direct sequels. And especially for story heavy games, each sequel has a chance of alienating people who didn't play the previous ones.

If it actually outsells XB2 at all, that's pretty impressive.
It may be late in the Switch's life but the userbase is still active, Switch is still shifting a bare minimum of 40 million games per quarter and Nintendo Projects 210 million this FY. Most users haven't moved on yet so i expect both XBC3 and Splatoon 3 to outsell their predecessors.

3U0wobd.png

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
That's what I thought, since that's always been the case. But then I saw that line at the end of the chart and thought maybe something had changed. Well, good on Xenoblade then! #4 overall without digital. I bought it digital!
You'll note xenoblade has an asterisk, and the asterisk means digital not included
Elden ring will probably hit 20 million this year with ease, excellent

Stooky

To be fair Sony not giving numbers outside of big hits post the start of the gen does seem to be an indicator that at the very least expectations are not being met. They gave sales for almost all the earlier games and then stopped giving them after that last report that included Spider man, Ratchet, Returnal, and Demon Souls numbers.
They save that info for when it’s needed for marketing purposes. Not when gamers want it

sachos

Its crazy to me how Nintendo games always seem to be in the top 10 just by counting the physical sales. Physical is not dead lol

KingT731

Its crazy to me how Nintendo games always seem to be in the top 10 just by counting the physical sales. Physical is not dead lol
Is it really though? Nintendo has the highest physical attach rate. Sony's last report was damn near 80:20 in favor of digital.

FriulHado

Is Xbox supply constrained or ?
I don’t explain this last place in USA this gen after all the efforts on gamepass and acquisitions made by Phil.

yazenov

Vanguard came out in 2021. Here's the last 12 months.

Fahpi2nVQAEcExw

Vanguard way above Horizon. Judging by the current monthly chart, it also has much better legs (#5 vs outside of top 20).

I actually realized I made a mistake and hoped that nobody pointed it out. But you just had to be the one who did it. Thanks.

Mozza

It may be late in the Switch's life but the userbase is still active, Switch is still shifting a bare minimum of 40 million games per quarter and Nintendo Projects 210 million this FY. Most users haven't moved on yet so i expect both XBC3 and Splatoon 3 to outsell their predecessors.

3U0wobd.png
To be honest I think people often forget how much software the Switch has sold, it is going to break the 1 billion revenue mark with no trouble at all, Splatoon 3 should do very well indeed. And to think some think Nintendos biggist issue is third party software. ;)

Last edited:

Mozza

Damm right. The series is on a natural upswing without selling out for "western audience" shit. Whatever the hell that means anyways.
You have to think the latest game will sell more numbers due to the increased Switch userbase.

Woopah

Is it really though? Nintendo has the highest physical attach rate. Sony's last report was damn near 80:20 in favor of digital.
This is true, but it still means that Nintendo's physical sales alone are enough to compete with physical; and digital sales of other publishers.
You have to think the latest game will sell more numbers due to the increased Switch userbase.
We can be pretty confident that Xenoblade 3 will outsell Xenoblade 2

KingT731

This is true, but it still means that Nintendo's physical sales alone are enough to compete with physical; and digital sales of other publishers.

We can be pretty confident that Xenoblade 3 will outsell Xenoblade 2
It could also be that it was an admittedly slow month for game releases. The #1 game was the Multiversus Founders Pack and the games behind XB3 are Vanguard(worst selling CoD in years) and MLB(which doesn't include Switch or Xbox digital sales). So just off that and Digimon Survive(a Visual novel basically) at 8 either those games sold ridiculously well or it was a slow month

Last edited:

Woopah

It could also be that it was an admittedly slow month for game releases. The #1 game was the Multiversus Founders Pack and the games behind XB3 are Vanguard(worst selling CoD in years) and MLB(which doesn't include Switch or Xbox digital sales). So just off that and Digimon Survive(a Visual novel basically) at 8 either those games sold ridiculously well or it was a slow month
There's been a pretty big chunk of games lacking digital sales charting every month this year though

January - 7
February - 10
March - 10
April - 10
May - 8
June - 9
July - 8

Physical isn't dead by a long long way.

KingT731

There's been a pretty big chunk of games lacking digital sales charting every month this year though

January - 7
February - 10
March - 10
April - 10
May - 8
June - 9
July - 8

Physical isn't dead by a long long way.
I know physical isn't dead. I'm not arguing that. I'm just looking at the list in context.

sachos

Yeah that split for Sony shocked me, though the digital sales number are inflated by games that only come out on digital. I would like to see how the split looks counting only games that have both physical and digital versions. I think that big single player AAA games have a more even split.

Last edited:

FriulHado

Xbox has always been supply constrained, the series S less so. The latter has probably hit its saturation point
Ok. I would be surprised if they were both avalaible and only one would sell so much.
In this gen, both systems are competitive so I expect a genuine head to head.

KingT731

Yeah that split for Sony shocked me, though the digital sales number are inflated by games that only come out on digital. I would like to see how the split looks counting only games that have both physical and digital versions. I think that big single player AAA games have a more even split.
Yeah and when it comes to the Switch it's a bit odd because Nintendo classifies games that don't have a physical release completely differently.

MrA

Banned
Last year fifa and call of duty were about 50/50 at launch, probably sold more heavily physically during the holiday period (q3 the physical split always ratchets up) then over time as digital sales and the end of physical print runs the split will move digital again
But of cod is 50/50 single player experiences most likely favor physical

Yeah and when it comes to the Switch it's a bit odd because Nintendo classifies games that don't have a physical release completely differently.
I wonder if the switch is over a billion sw if all the digital only games are included (since Nintendo doesn't include them in the sw totals) there are like 4500 games on the store (though I'm sure plenty sell like 3 copies) and under 20% have physical releaese

Top Bottom