• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2021 result: Nintendo Switch is the best selling hardware in both units and dollars sales

noshten

Its interesting that people expect that Rise will stop selling, the first major announcement is scheduled for this month, it's already a massive success and sales in Japan will overtake lifetime sales of World by the end of April. Also Asia is heavily trending in a similar direction. With new announcements, marketing and direct coverage the game should have very strong legs in the coming months potentially years.

Bodomism

Banned
1- You guys are moving the goal post. MHR outselling the PS4 version only metric is irrelevant and only fanboys care about. We are talking overall sales of Rise versus World. (the end result and profit is what matters, not single console platform wars).
2- Even when playing by your set of rules, all indication outside of Japan, MHR is selling lower than the PS4 version of World. Only Japan is a slight increase. It wont even outsell the PS4 version overall.
3- Your PS4 version of World total sales is outdated. Its alot more now but we don't have current numbers.
4- MHW being on several platforms and PC close to launch diluted the PS4's version of the sales. I have no doubt that if the PS4 version was exclusive and the PC version delayed release of 1 year, it would not be even close competition. Rise being exclusive to the Switch helped boosts its sales since there are no other options.
Talking about fanboys when you were the first starting with head canon out of nowhere.

1. MHW is available on 3 platforms so it's unfair to compare its sales to MHR.

2. MHR is selling lower than MHW PS4 on the west but selling better in Japan and not just a slight increase but a very big gap is about to open. MHW PS4 total sales on PS4 in Japan is around 3.2M which will be overtaken by MHR Switch version in just a few months. Switch MHR is around 2.7M physical+digital sales in Japan.

3. A lot more is an overstatement since it barely increase with master version edition for total MHW software. The sales data was at late 2020 which is very recent.

4. Another head canon with no basis.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I mean one is a big franchise with huge sales the other is franchise with sales in 2-4 million mark.
Rise sales on west are on declive compared with World.
Demon's Souls sales looks to be in line with what Souls games sells in a limited userbase... a better comparison could be Demon's Souls Remakes with Bloodborne when the userbase got their PS5.
Do a self reflection and try to post again.

I have no ideia... I did not see hints on NPD.
It's losing even in it's homelands. I guess MS need to pay the journos for more positive articles and negative Sony ones. And hire a few more robots to constantly post them across the Internet.

Bodomism

Banned
I mean one is a big franchise with huge sales the other is franchise with sales in 2-4 million mark.
Rise sales on west are on declive compared with World.
Demon's Souls sales looks to be in line with what Souls games sells in a limited userbase... a better comparison could be Demon's Souls Remakes with Bloodborne when the userbase got their PS5.
Do a self reflection and try to post again.

I have no ideia... I did not see hints on NPD.
MHW was on 2 platforms when it was released, so it's unfair to compare it with one platform for MHR.

I like to mention these numbers again

MHR 1 platform(NSW)
5M in 7 days

MHW 2 platforms(PS4+XB1)
6M in 14 days

Capcom sales forecast for MHR NSW+PC = 9M units.

Looks like NSW version alone is enough to smash capcom overall target for MHR.

Bodomism

Banned
You are the guy who thinks Rise will sell 6-7 million lifetime.
Happy Surprise GIF by The Joy Experiment

I thought only PS5 DE was sold at lose at launch.
PS5 normal was break even or little profit.

That is the reason the DE is way more scarse.

PS5 BOM was around $470-480 at launch.
PS5 doesn't makes a profit.
And from what Sony said it sounds like they make a loss on that console, aswell.

Only next gen console that could be profitable right now is the Series S.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-man Miles, and the Last of US 2?
And for PSN charts on PS Blog has Demon's Souls is in the top ten. The PS Blog charts are US/Canada tho:

Even Demon's Soul's is hanging in there despite lower sales than the bigger boys.

That’s mostly due to scalpers though.

Also notice the PS5 version of Miles on those charts...I guess scalpers are also buying games.

Bless their hearts.

Sounds like PS Fanboys were scared the Casualstation 5 wouldn't do good numbers?

Don't worry, Casualstation always sells well.

Where else you gonna buy GTA, COD, FIFA, and Spider-Man games?
But I thought the Series S with Game Pass was the prime candidate for the casuals.... which one is it?

I thought Game Pass in general was gonna lure in the casuals?

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
What’s more important is how Jim Ryan still has a job after all this negativity. How’s that petition doing?

nerdface

Banned
I want to play it real bad but I cancelled my pre-order and am waiting for the PC version. Want to play it at 1440p60 (or higher).

I get wanting to play the PC version, but for what it's worth, the framerate and frame pacing are pretty solid. It's a smooth experience, at least in handheld mode. I haven't played on the TV yet.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I want to play it real bad but I cancelled my pre-order and am waiting for the PC version. Want to play it at 1440p60 (or higher).
Well it’s your choice, I put over 140+ hours in to the game I had no issue with its performance and even surprised how well it runs on Switch despite of several big monsters in one screen.

Woopah

LOL at the People who thought RISE would outsell World.
It's still possible, but yes not a guarantee by any means. It'll be closeish in the end I believe (Rise will probably do a couple of million less in the end).

Rise Switch SKU is going to outsell MHW PS4 SKU.

MHW PS4 - 8.7M
MHW PC - 5.6M
MHR NSW - 5M(7 days)

Also the chart didn't include MHR digital sales while MHW did for both PS4 and XB1.
I was also expecting Rise to not include digital, but it looks like it does according to these charts.
Shipment + Digital is lower for Rise... plus Japan is right now bit better than World that makes the drop in West very real.
Rise probably is lower than World in terms of US launch, but we don't have the comparison data between them to make that statement definitely.
They matter for Nintendo. They don't matter for Sony, according to the charts :messenger_winking:
What are you using from these charts to say exclusives don't matter for Sony?

ethomaz

Banned
Rise Switch SKU is going to outsell MHW PS4 SKU.

MHW PS4 - 8.7M
MHW PC - 5.6M
MHR NSW - 5M(7 days)

Also the chart didn't include MHR digital sales while MHW did for both PS4 and XB1.
Unless it is a mistake... Rise includes digital... Capcom shares digital with NPD.

ethomaz

Banned
Monster Hunter usually sells around 3-4m copies. The one big exception was MHW. Same goes for the Souls games, where DS3 is the exception. In terms of sales, both franchises are pretty comparable (one franchise just releases way more games).
Bullshit.
The only MH games in the main series to sell less than 3 million was Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I think the confusion comes from the fact that at one point Capcom didn't share eShop sales with NPD. Looks like they do now.
Just for reference that is the actual NPD.

Nintendo is the biggest one that doesn't take part of the Digital partnership with NPD... from the participantes only Atlus and Sega doesn't share Nintendo eShop data... of course Sony and Microsoft for obvious reasons doesn't too.

PS. There is a weird case that is Take 2... they share units sold and revenue data but they doesn't allow NPD to publish the revenue so the ranking based in Revenue exclude them but NPD does say the position in units in most big games from them.

Last edited:

Woopah

Just for reference that is the actual NPD.

Nintendo is the biggest one that doesn't take part of the Digital partnership with NPD... from the participantes only Atlus and Sega doesn't share Nintendo eShop data... of course Sony and Microsoft for obvious reasons doesn't too.

PS. There is a weird case that is Take 2... they share units sold and revenue data but they doesn't allow NPD to publish the revenue so the ranking based in Revenue exclude them but NPD does say the position in units in most big games from them.

I was certain at some point that chart had an N in Capcom and eShop but I could just be going mad. Maybe I was confusing them with Sega/Atlus.

I really wonder what is happeneing between Take 2 and NPD, its very odd.

ethomaz

Banned
I was certain at some point that chart had an N in Capcom and eShop but I could just be going mad. Maybe I was confusing them with Sega/Atlus.

I really wonder what is happeneing between Take 2 and NPD, its very odd.
I believe you... I just posted to people knows the actual setup.

Woopah

Why would I play FIFA when I can play BOTW2?

COD I can play on PC, I'm not into casual Spider-Man, and GTA I could also get on PC or SX.

PS5 might be useful when a good exclusive comes out.
How are you defining "casual" here? I've always thought that's a very useful term when it comes to video games. I think "mainstream" is better.

onesvenus

In Mar 2021 PS5 is the fastest-selling in Dollars and Units.

Seems a little info that tells a lot.

PS5 NPD March 2021 > 370k units (PS4 NPD March 2014).
What am I missing? There's a tweet in the opening post that says the Switch was the best selling console in units in March

ethomaz

Banned
What am I missing? There's a tweet in the opening post that says the Switch was the best selling console in units in March
Cumulative.

In March 2021 PS5 become the fastest selling console ever in dollar and units in US.

Just March 2021 numbers Switch sold more in units... both are > 370k.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
PS5 and the Switch both have different aundience targets, that the big lesson for anyone! Diversity in the gaming industry is what gamers want!

everyone loses money at the start of the generation. even nintendo. this isnt a new phenomenon.

sales are sales. we arent discussing profits here.
Nintendo's had a long-term philosophy of not losing money on hardware sales; the only exception to that (IIRC) is the 3DS, and that was due to needing to drop the price to move units.

I just put it out there as a friendly reminder.

You guys realize that for every unit sold these companies (outside of Nintendo) are losing money on the unit sale, right? So it's always better to look at the software sales, assume their MSRP, knock out the cut to brick-and-mortar and what the publisher retains, take the remainder and multiply that by the split of unit sales for a given platform.

Now do that for all the games, and weigh it against the losses on each unit sold * the number of units sold. That gives you a better picture vs. just looking at units sold.
Remember over 80% of PS5 users are subscribers to PS+ (look it up, not hard to find). On top of that, it's selling software, accessories...They're doing alright.

Top Bottom