• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2022 Results - More info tomorrow

reksveks

Full Thread from Mat

I thought it was supposed to be tomorrow according to Matt Piscatella but so far

Summary - down 15% across HW, Accesories and Software.
- HW down 24% YoY for March, 15% for YTD, alone ($515m for March, $1.2m for Q1)
- HW accessories down 23% YoY for March, 16% for YTD ($227% for March, $592 for Q1)
- Xbox best ever March for Units and $
- Xbox #1 $ in March and YTD. Using the Xbox PR from before, we know the lower bound of Xbox Sales was 433k units.

HW Charts
March

Xbox #1 $ sales
Switch #1 unit sales

Q1
Xbox #1 $ sales
Switch #1 unit sales

Software
- ER #1 again, GT7 #2, HFW #5. Kirby #3 without Digital Sales numbers.
- Game software revenue down 13% YoY

Last edited:
This is awesome.news for Xbox. Wait until the April numbers come in. It should be even bigger for MS.
Even the die hardest Sony fanboy should be happy as a competitive Xbox means a more competitive Sony.
Look how shit Intel became when AMD was releasing subpar CPUs like Bulldozer. Now look at what Intel is doing now that AMD is back.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Right

March
Xbox #1 $ sales
Switch #1 unit sales

Q1
Xbox #1 $ sales
Switch #1 unit sales

This is why this revenue reporting is dumb. It’s only there to make everything look like it’s doing well.

Just give pure sales data like NPD used to.
I am trying to figure out where you read that or if you missed the "in March" bit

Read the second line in the tweet again.

Sony killing it with software but failing miserably with hardware. What a mess, they need that 6nm PS5 as soon as possible, it's getting ridiculous.

Xbox capitalizing on the fact the Series S is much easier to produce.

I have no idea how their orders work with TSMC but it seems really strange that Sony didn't guarantee that at the very least they would produce as many PS5s as PS4s or have some sort of deal with TSMC to have priority in case they needed make up for it. Their entire PS business depends on getting consoles out there.

Starting to think the speculation that Sony are in the process of allocating PS5 hardware into datacenters might be accurate.
Ew. I really hope not, what a waste.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

This is awesome.news for Xbox. Wait until the April numbers come in. It should be even bigger for MS.
Even the die hardest Sony fanboy should be happy as a competitive Xbox means a more competitive Sony.
Look how shit Intel became when AMD was releasing subpar CPUs like Bulldozer. Now look at what Intel is doing now that AMD is back.
Again this stupid bullshit about competition, when everyone knows why the xbox is selling better in the US now.

In the autumn everything will be the same again.
Ps5 everywhere number 1

Xbox already has so many games announced. They do not need to sell a lot of equipment to impose competition.

reksveks

- PS5 in really short supply (beaten by Switch in units in Q1, by Xbox in $ in Q1)

So Xbox is in third in units for Q1?
Seems like supply is kinda bad in general.
Being #3 Units but #1 in revenue would be almost impossible, unless every PS5 sold was the digital one and Xbox was selling alot of Series X and that skewed the average price per unit enough.

So it should be in terms of units
- Switch
- Xbox
- PS5

Anyone sees something that I am missing?

Also we can assume that both the switch and Xbox sold at least 433k each so probably close to 1m including the ps5

Edit apparently ytd in Feb, it was already switch, xbox and PS in terms of units.

Last edited:

BlvckFox

Gold Member

Right? Everyone should be excited Microsoft is doing so well. I am always genuinely confused when die hards fight over which box has bigger numbers and actually desire a larger discrepancy between sales of competitors. You shouldn’t want any side mopping the other, competition will breed better software and greater prices.

Darsxx82

It was clear that MS had put a lot of XSX on sale and hence the figures. Between that XSS availability and that there was more XSX for sale, these are the figures. I wonder if that wil be the tonic of XSX availability or will back to the lack of stock that months ago where was worse than even PS5. Or maybe after completing the number of chips for Azure servers now the availability will be higher....

What is clear is that XSeries is a very requested console for more than some tell us that "nobody wants them". The best March in the history of an XBOX and yet with the "sold-out" sign for XSX is very significant. It will be interesting to see sales with Starfield and an XSS at $250-200 in BF....

reksveks

What is going on with PS5 supply? It's getting worse, not better. I'm starting to think it's going to stay like this for the whole generation. I also wish we got actual hardware and software numbers like the old days instead of all this dollar sales and percentage crap.
Its gotten better in April, here in the UK for sure so I wouldn't be surprised to see it be #1 in April.

So in Feb, in terms of YTD revenue, it should have be #1 PS5, #2 Xbox, #3 Switch

Last edited:
What is going on with PS5 supply? It's getting worse, not better. I'm starting to think it's going to stay like this for the whole generation. I also wish we got actual hardware and software numbers like the old days instead of all this dollar sales and percentage crap.
It's very strange that it isn't getting better, you'd think Sony would be trying as hard as possible to make sure they get back to those PS4 numbers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a matter of Sony not wanting to pay more than they need to hoping they can just make up for it in the future. It seems like every decision in Sony is made by some accountant trying to cut costs.

Last edited:

leo-j

Starting to think the speculation that Sony are in the process of allocating PS5 hardware into datacenters might be accurate. Doesn't sound right for it to be in such short supply in March.

Great month for Xbox though.
Sony forecasted less than 2 million consoles made for the quarter world wide. March and April should be abysmal. They then forecast record numbers late summer into the e d of the year. We shall see. They are falling behind ps4 rn world wide.

Bragr

Banned
Kirby probably got number one with digital included. Mario Kart is still nuts.

PS5 should be in its golden years, smashing everything. I wonder if that report about Xbox buying priority chips has anything to do with this.

It's very strange that it isn't getting better, you'd think Sony would be trying as hard as possible to make sure they get back to those PS4 numbers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a matter of Sony not wanting to pay more then they need to hoping they can just make up for it in the future. It seems like every decision in Sony is made by some accountant trying to cut costs.
Sony always said Q1 2022 would be terrible for sales. They expected like 2 or 3M WW in sales between January and March. That's terrible.

That said...this quarter has already started with a bang for them. Huge supply (relatively speaking) in the USA, UK and other countries. I'm always checking on twitter about drops in multiple stores. I think Walmart had a considerable drop last week cause you could buy one for more than 10 minutes...that never happens. Amazon sold out faster but it still lasted almost 5 minutes i think.

UK has been getting some supply as well.

I think starting in April things will be looking better and we'll be going back to the chart placements we were to expect from these consoles...but who knows.

Last edited:
Sony always said Q1 2022 would be terrible for sales. They expected like 2 or 3M WW in sales between January and March. That's terrible.

That said...this quarter has already started with a bang for them. Huge supply (relatively speaking) in the USA, UK and other countries. I'm always checking on twitter about drops in multiple stores. I think Walmart had a considerable drop last week cause you could buy one for more than 10 minutes...that never happens. Amazon sold out faster but it still lasted almost 5 minutes i think.

I think starting in April things will be looking better and we'll be going back to the placements we were to expect from these consoles...but who knows.
I hope you are right, I want this crossgen period to be over and the only way that it will happen is if people can just walk into a store and get a PS5.

Last edited:

reksveks

I think starting in April things will be looking better and we'll be going back to the chart placements we were to expect from these consoles...but who knows.
Yeah, that April drop on Amazon push them to 32 ytd. Series x is 41st and Series s is 20th

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
JJJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Astral Dog

It appears the game actually sold much better than the first page implied, and i was too harsh on Triangle Strategy because of its old school look 😓 cool game deserves to sell well

Last edited:
Triangle Strategy always looked a little lame tbh, overpriced. i think the HD 'sprites' look just doesn't work on a strategy game the same way it does on an RPG to milk nostalgic fans, Square should have been more willing to take a risk and made a 3D modern looking strategy game a little closer to Fire Emblem.

It’s actually a very good game and I guarantee it sells better than the square enix game you’re suggesting they make, which they already are.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Starting to think the speculation that Sony are in the process of allocating PS5 hardware into datacenters might be accurate. Doesn't sound right for it to be in such short supply in March.

Great month for Xbox though.
The new PSNow tiers are about to roll out, PS5 is almost 2 years old, and they just announced the expansion of the service to 30 more countries if i remember correctly, so they must be upgrading the servers with ps5 hardware for sometime now _ and coincidentally this increase in shortages has been reported in the last months... It's not coincidence.
I don't think it includes any PS5 games over streaming and streaming is only available where PSNow was already available.
They just announced the expansion of the service for other markets, we had a thread this week.
They will continue expanding, streaming services hardware agnostic are the future whether we like it or not unfortunately.
And of course the PS5 library has to be in the service _ PSNow is on PC too, and even if it wasn't, at some point games would be next gen only so the servers had to be upgraded anyway, just like it was last Gen _ first there was ps3 server blades only, one or two years later came the ps4 ones and the ability to stream the selected ps4 catalog. This was before you could download the games, but even if you have the option, the beauty of the thing is that you can start playing a game without downloading just to test it and if you don't like it just move on. I do it all the time and when everything is going well with the streaming and nothing distracting affects the gameplay, i don't bother downloading it and just keep on playing (except the AAA lookers of course, those have to be played natively no doubt).

The new PSNow tiers are about to roll out, PS5 is almost 2 years old, and they just announced the expansion of the service to 30 more countries if i remember correctly, so they must be upgrading the servers with ps5 hardware for sometime now _ and coincidentally this increase in shortages has been reported in the last months... It's not coincidence.

They just announced the expansion of the service for other markets, we had a thread this week.
They will continue expanding, streaming services hardware agnostic are the future whether we like it or not unfortunately.
And of course the PS5 library has to be in the service _ PSNow is on PC too, and even if it wasn't, at some point games would be next gen only so the servers had to be upgraded anyway, just like it was last Gen _ first there was ps3 server blades only, one or two years later came the ps4 ones and the ability to stream the selected ps4 catalog. This was before you could download the games, but even if you have the option, the beauty of the thing is that you can start playing a game without downloading just to test it and if you don't like it just move on. I do it all the time and when everything is going well with the streaming and nothing distracting affects the gameplay, i don't bother downloading it and just keep on playing (except the AAA lookers of course, those have to be played natively no doubt).
Yet here we are, PSNow was released almost 10 years ago and still to this day almost nobody cares about streaming. xCloud and Stadia didn't fair much better, it's almost as if they don't exist.

You don't need to sell me on it, you need to sell the idea that streaming is the future to all the people that could be playing over streaming right now, that don't even have a console, who wouldn't even care for lag or compression yet still they don't play over the cloud, almost as if they never wanted to play these games in the first place and them being available over the cloud doesn't make any difference to them.

Every PS5 chip that doesn't go into a PS5 is a waste and a potential client willing to spend good money that they are losing to go chase a market that doesn't even exists. Wait to set up those servers when supply isn't a problem anymore, will make no difference since the streaming market is already so dead.

If your internet is good enough for streaming, it's good enough for download unless you have ADHD and is constantly changing between random games all the time and have no run out of storage. Just another excuse to make cloud more a thing than it really is.

Last edited:

FMX

I wonder if this is going to be a longer than normal console generation. It's been a year and a half and it feels like these machines barely launched since there's no software specifically for them.
It has to be. That is why I doubt we will see "pro" systems this gen.

Top Bottom