• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2022 | 45% increase YoY compared to last year, PS5, Switch and then Xbox. COD #1 November and YTD, GoW #2 and Pokemon #3

Saber

Gold Member
Clearly you're not looking at GOW being ahead of pokemon here...

Let's start with my first post here then(before the war attempt)?
I was clearly surprised that GoW was better than Pokemon(well we still dunno the digital though). Pokemon is the best selling franchise ever, they don't even need to work hard to get that amount of profit(I mean look at the quality of their games). Hence my surprise. GoW is a great game, but honestly wasn't it expecting to actually outsell pokemon. Thats impressive.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ninja Theory are too busy playing with all the cinematic bells and whistles in Unreal 5 to progress on Hellblade 2. Hellblade 1 released August 2017. I think Compulsion Games went AWOL.

That's just 2 teams though! The reality is that decisions regarding launch windows are made years in advance because there's a degree of unpredictability involved regardless of the talent and pedigree of whoever is developing. Where's the backup? Can't they buy some sort of exclusivity or co-promotion deal to ally themselves up with third parties in order to plug these gaps?

It seems to me the success of their BC program allowed them to skate by for a long time, because especially with Game Pass noone was looking too closely at what the "new" product was, just that steady influx into the pipeline and endless promises of the next big thing was sufficient.

Now with BC seemingly over and done with, we're seeing that the emperor has no clothes. GP is absorbing most of the mid-tier stuff into its churn, so when big titles get delayed (which seems to happen extremely frequently with their first-parties) we end up with these long stretches where they have to float the Xbox platform on promises alone.

Its just terrible management. Especially when their main competitors are really focussed on using exclusive tent-pole releases to maintain profile and interest.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
And that guy did a better job at games for the first year of Xbox One than the new guy has with Xbox Series. If it weren't for gamepass it'd be worse of a launch than Xbox One.
There was no exclusive and even less so Series exclusives so I don't see how it could be much worse of a launch....I guess the Always Online DRM was kinda worse but at least you had exclusives to play.

But mah black Friday PowerPoint estimates

How could Adobe lie to us…

Confused John Cena GIF by WWE

Unknown?

I will never understand the praise for Phil Spencer. XBOX still locked on forza-gears-halo cycle, no games on VGA and even in US in 3rd place... really...
People easily fall for propaganda, that's why everything is so polarized politically. If enough people parrot the sun is gone, people will start believing it even if the brightness hurts their eyes when they go outside.

Thus Phil's talk goes along way.

Just went back to the top October games since I was on holiday when it released. Holy shit A Plague Tale Requiem didn’t even register on the Top 20 for the month and not a single person commented on it either. It’s like this game has been forgotten and it was actually a quality game too.

I finished it last week. As you said a quality game although I got bit tired of the game mechanics by the end. Still, you can tell it was made with a lot of passion and the characters are great.

I will never understand the praise for Phil Spencer. XBOX still locked on forza-gears-halo cycle, no games on VGA and even in US in 3rd place... really...
Phill Spencer really showed up at the Game Awards after a year with no new releases and not a single trailer for a 2023 game. He really just stood there with a Series S and Gamepass ad and watched Sony winning most awards of the night, announcing 2 PC releases, PS5 full exclusives and timed exclusives, VR games and even DLCs announced lmao

Elios83

Being honest, I suspect if the ABK merger falls through, Phil's toast.
Nadella is in it and put the face on it almost as much as Phil so it would be hard to justify that. But internally his decisions would be questioned much more, leading to more disputes.
If the deal is blocked Bobby Kotick is the one who has the most to lose, he's probably already thinking about a plan B as we speak.

My thinking is simply that the board will demand a scalp for the failure, and I don't see Nadella taking the fall!

I see Nadella taking the fall before Phil. Phil is the more consumer facing recognizable face of the brand. Firing Phil Spencer is like saying everything they’ve done to regain marketshare failed.

If phil leaves he’s taking the majority of the xbox fanbase with him. There is a cult of personality attached to him.

Last edited:
It's a shit console.
The only reason everyone keeps propping it up and talking about how amazing it is technically and what value it is is because it is supposed to the the Trojan Horse that wins Xbox the generation, so the "organic marketing" needs to make sure they keep hammering how capable it is, how cheap it is, how fantastic of an emulation machine it is (to play old games to keep your mind off the fact there are no new games), how they are buying their 15th one to put in their third floor fifth bedroom closet so that their uncles cousins brothers parents coworkers mailmans kids can play it, etc. Now that it is painfully clear nobody gives a shit about the console they will have to find something else as their key differentiator to proselytize about.

The only reason everyone keeps propping it up and talking about how amazing it is technically and what value it is is because it is supposed to the the Trojan Horse that wins Xbox the generation, so the "organic marketing" needs to make sure they keep hammering how capable it is, how cheap it is, how fantastic of an emulation machine it is (to play old games to keep your mind off the fact there are no new games), how they are buying their 15th one to put in their third floor fifth bedroom closet so that their uncles cousins brothers parents coworkers mailmans kids can play it, etc. Now that it is painfully clear nobody gives a shit about the console they will have to find something else as their key differentiator to proselytize about.

I like the Series S because I can take it with me to the doctors office

yazenov

Surprised Xbox ended up in 3rd place yet again despite the deep-fire sales this month. I would have thought they would have at least been second in unit sales but 3rd obviously in revenue due to the cheap consoles. The aging Switch managed to outsell it with no price cut.

It's not a good look for MS when you end up dead last in your strongest market despite having the cheapest console and your competition's lack of discounts and sales. Having a $200 console without quality content doesn't automatically means success. I hope MS learns from this and the FTC cock blocking MS's Activision acquisition must have them panicking right now.

Last edited:

legacy24

Once again, it has to be pointed out that on a portfolio management front Xbox has only themselves to blame.

Quite how a company as big and well funded ended up with such a weak line-up over any given year is mind-boggling.
you would think after last gen they would come out swinging for the start of this one but nope I just can't defend them anymore.

Black Friday is 1 day and there are multiple days in November?

We also don't know how close the consoles are. People are imagining a gap large gap between the 3 but ignoring there was a big overall growth for November.

I also made the thread about PS5 winning Cyber Monday but I guess you left that out by incident.

Why am I being called? I never stated who I believed would actually win November.

You're being called out because the source you used in your thread was suspect. We'll probably never know what happened in that specific time frame, but you absolutely deserve to be called out.

yazenov

Where are all those people that said consumers buy consoles mainly for 3rd party games such as COD and Madden, and exclusives aren't that important? If this statement is true, then It's strange that people bought the more expensive PS5 consoles over the $200 Xbox S to play all those 3rd party games. Oh and Gamepass :messenger_smirking:

i-love-lucy-lucy-ricardo.gif

Lol but kidding aside; strong month for PS & Nintendo hardware, good month for Xbox hardware (considering unit results even with the heavy Series S promos it's really hard to say the result is "great" but it's at least good).

Surprised with how well Sonic Frontiers charted. Pokemon placing #3 without even factoring digital is a testament to that brand's selling power. MW2 took the top spot as expected, really happy for GOWR's performance though, very strong debut and they aught to be hitting 10 million pretty soon if they aren't nearing so already. Miles Morales & HFW continue to chart pretty well; considering the narrative against HFW since launch the fact it's in the Top 10 for best-selling games of the year (which BTW does not count the bundles) is very impressive.

If I had to take a guess, it's probably around 2.5 - 3 million YTD in NA, I'm assuming such based on GOWR doing 5 million global in 4 days and having obviously sold through more in the time since, and Sony giving sales figures for 1P software in their FY 2022 Q1 report of between 6 - 7 million units (which would have included HFW, GT7, Miles Morales, Returnal etc.). Globally the game's maybe between 7.5 - 8 million I'd say as a safe estimate; if it hit 10 million we'd of probably gotten an announcement by now.

Also just look at how many Nintendo games are in the Top 20, jeez! Sony not too far behind this time tho with 3 entries at least.

You're being called out because the source you used in your thread was suspect. We'll probably never know what happened in that specific time frame, but you absolutely deserve to be called out.
Deserved to be called out for a source from a reputable company that has been cited by NPD, and hundreds of news outlets as the report came out from ADOBE analytics which isn't suspect at all, a credible company, and you're clearly losing your mind right now?

Thread never said anything about Xbox winning November directly, it only reported that Xbox was the lead console on BF.

And then there was another thread that reported the PS5 won Cyber Monday. Which you are non-shockingly excluding to push this silly call out.

You are clearly imaging something to call out here, there is nothing to call out.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Deserved to be called out for a source from a reputable company that has been cited by NPD, and hundreds of news outlets as the report came out from ADOBE analytics which isn't suspect at all, a credible company, and you're clearly losing your mind right now?

Thread never said anything about Xbox winning November directly, it only reported that Xbox was the lead console on BF.

And then there was another thread that reported the PS5 won Cyber Monday. Which you are non-shockingly excluding to push this silly call out.

You are clearly imaging something to call out here, there is nothing to call out.
You realize even Google analytics that cover like 80% of the web can still be incorrect?

They're practically giving them away and they still come last place lmao.

I always say this in those series s threads, the typical holiday consumer isn’t as price sensitive as people make it out to be. The “value” of the series s isn’t perceived the same way by the common non-hardcore gamer. They want the ‘hot’ product, which is the ps5 and the enthusiast that want to stay in the xbox ecosystem want the series x

You realize even Google analytics that cover like 80% of the web can still be incorrect?

You do realize that thread was not predicting the month of November and only was a report for one day of the month, and your premise is still incorrect?

Also comparing Adobe Analytics with actual tracking of purchases and skus, to Google trends is bizarre.

Last edited:

Unknown?

You do realize that thread was not predicting the month of November and only was a report for one day of the month, and your premise is still incorrect?
I understand this but it was based off of analytics, it can give you a good idea of trends but isn't a good way to make a claim of anything concrete. Especially with how easily they can be manipulated by bots and corporate interference.

Last edited:
I understand this but it was based off of analytics, it can give you a good idea but isn't a good way to make a claim of anything concrete.

No you don't understand it because your doubling down on the same false premise. There is no "good idea" because the thread report which was by tracking reciepts and skus btw, was only for BF, as was the other thread you are the 3rd person here to skip, that showed PS5 won Cyber Monday.

Neither thread was reporting a prediction of who would win November, the reports were only for who won those two days, XBS and PS5.

You're trying to falsely act as if the threads were trying to "figure out November, which is why you keep talking about claims, but the claims were never made.

Unknown?

No you don't understand it because your doubling down on the same false premise. There is no "good idea" because the thread report which was by tracking reciepts and skus btw, was only for BF, as was the other thread you are the 3rd person here to skip, that showed PS5 won Cyber Monday.

Neither thread was reporting a prediction of who would win November, the reports were only for who won those two days, XBS and PS5.

You're trying to falsely act as if the threads were trying to "figure out November, which is why you keep talking about claims, but the claims were never made.
I'm not saying it's trying to predict the month. I wouldn't say it's a good way to call who won cyber Monday either.

I'm not saying it's trying to predict the month. I wouldn't say it's a good way to call who won cyber Monday either.

You're now moving back on your last few posts.

As i said there was never any claim and neither thread was trying to determine November as you were originally alluding too.

Not only is the methodology suspect, but looking at any one specific day without numbers makes little sense and why no one does this.

The only time someone would or should discuss black friday numbers is if the companies themselves were to report it.

Unknown?

You're now moving back on your last few posts.

As i said there was never any claim and neither thread was trying to determine November as you were originally alluding too.
Are you confusing me with someone else? I only commented about the source not the timeframe.

It's better than using Amazon lists but still is incomplete.

Top Bottom