• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

allan-bh

Well in Spain it doubled the opening week of Uncharted 3 (again without digital sales even). That is already two biggish markets with very clear increase compared to Uncharted 3. Hard to see that the situation would be that much different elsewhere.

In Japan first week was just ~4k better (plus digital) with one day more for Uncharted 4.

Too bad we don't have sell through for U3, we can just speculate how much of 3.8 million was sold in one week.

In Japan first week was just ~4k better (plus digital) with one day more for Uncharted 4.

Too bad we don't have sell through for U3, we can just speculate how much of 3.8 million was sold in one week.
To be fair, Japan is Japan. :p

And digital was not counted in those Japan numbers.

jayu26

Gears vs Uncharted talk! I see it's time for outlandish predictions and avatar bets. I will begin.

I bet that Gears 4 will do just over half the Uncharted 4 numbers in there respective first month on US NPD.

Gears vs Uncharted talk! I see it's time for outlandish predictions and avatar bets. I will begin.

I bet that Gears 4 will do just over half the Uncharted 4 numbers in there respective first month on US NPD.
I bet Uncharted 4 will sell consoles, even if it's an exclusive.

wapplew

Holiday vs May on US with Gears being the bigger IP? You're going to lose.

jayu26

Well I did say outlandish predictions.

Here is the thing though. Let's say UC4 does 1.5 million (I know a lot of you don't think it will) then half that is 750k and around 800k just over half that. Which would be excellent result for Gears 4, judging from how well the MS exclusives are doing this generation. So, in that sense I guess I am predicting UC4 to do better than most people rather than predicting Gears to do bad.

sense

Gears is going to do similar numbers to uncharted in US in its respective launch month, maybe even more. Game is launching during the holidays combined with a huge marketing push, higher install base than last year and Xbox slim/1.5 bundles with most likely 299 price point. Obviously it would be an easy bet if we want to say UC will beat gears worldwide sales or ltd sales

Ryng_tolu

Banned
People underestimate Gears, imo.

The Halo series was already in declined, before Halo 5, and it released just after that bad Master Chief Collection.

Gears with the third game was at it's peak, and remember that last holidays LOT of people bought the Gears of War definitive edition with the XBO bundle, just like the Nathan Drake collection.

First NPD for Gears should be bigger than Halo since will be a 3 weeks month.

Deadbeat

Banned
People underestimate Gears, imo.

The Halo series was already in declined, before Halo 5, and it released just after that bad Master Chief Collection.

Gears with the third game was at it's peak, and remember that last holidays LOT of people bought the Gears of War definitive edition with the XBO bundle, just like the Nathan Drake collection.

First NPD for Gears should be bigger than Halo since will be a 3 weeks month.
The other factor is we have seen they are making Gears 4 like the previous Gears games instead of 343i going off the deep end with their own tweaks and changes. People want a Halo game, not some Halo bastardization.

Welfare

The other factor is we have seen they are making Gears 4 like the previous Gears games instead of 343i going off the deep end with their own tweaks and changes. People want a Halo game, not some Halo bastardization.

Halo 5 is more Halo than Reach though...

Too bad it took 5 years of waiting for that.

It going to be interesting to see how both GOW and GeOW do .
Since the last 2 games for both were not main line and both sold below what the normally do .

Welfare

Non Mainline games experimenting is fine. When the next big game comes out and you start messing with the formula, prepare to get burned.

Halo Reach was a mainline title. It was marketed as Bungie's swan song to Halo.

Halo Reach started the bastardization of Halo, Halo 4 continued it. 343 saw that the majority hated it, and reverted on most of those decisions.

Doesn't help Halo 5 at all that both Halo 4 and MCC generated 3 straight years of toxic word of mouth for the Halo brand.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think Gears 4 will sell more than Halo 5 in its first NPD month.

I think so too. Increased interest in series for younger gamers thanks to the recent remake, series hasn't gone down same disappointing path as Halo in recent years, larger Xbox One userbase now in comparison to last year, etc.

I think Gears 4 will sell more than Halo 5 in its first NPD month.

on what basis? the series was in a decline on the 360, the beta didn't have huge numbers, no Xbox exclusive has set the world on fire.

halo is their biggest franchise, it had a far longer, and bigger marketing campaign.

i really can't see where an uptick would come from.

on what basis? the series was in a decline on the 360, the beta didn't have huge numbers, no Xbox exclusive has set the world on fire.

halo is their biggest franchise, it had a far longer, and bigger marketing campaign.

Gears was on a rise actually. Judgement did poorly. But that doesn't really count. I believe that Gearmake did better than judgement anyway especially helped buy bundles.

Actually do we have any numbers on Gearmake and ltd for Gears 3?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
the series was in a decline on the 360

......What!?

the beta didn't have huge numbers

Not even low numbers...

no Xbox exclusive has set the world on fire.

huum...?

Let's wait when the game is close to be released to see how the marketing campain will be.

That said, the most important part.

On what basis

3 weeks VS 1 weeks.

RexNovis

Banned
Only HALF of Uncharted 4? I accept.

Oh no. Jayu back down while you still can. Nobody deserves to lose to Ryng. Nobody.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on the sales discussion I've been having to deal with a bit of a nightmare.

Do we have any WW sell through estimates for UC3 first month that we could copare to UC4? Given the release timeframe UC3 shipped numbers might not be an accurate barometer for a rough comparison.

I'll be honest I expected 3+ million sold through. Especially with that BS they laid out about having to delay the game to increase production. Or maybe they just way over estimated demand. That would explain the impromptu retailer bundles with the title so shortly after the game's release.

Oh no. Jayu back down while you still can. Nobody deserves to lose to Ryng. Nobody.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on the sales discussion I've been having to deal with a bit of a nightmare.

Do we have any WW sell through estimates for UC3 first month that we could copare to UC4? Given the release timeframe UC3 shipped numbers might not be an accurate barometer for a rough comparison.

I'll be honest I expected 3+ million sold through. Especially with that BS they laid out about having to delay the game to increase production. Or maybe they just way over estimated demand. That would explain the impromptu retailer bundles with the title so shortly after the game's release.

I wouldn't expect them producing enough to handle 3 million. I'd say for the month of May the 2.7 is impressive enough. Also likely were the max cap is Imo.

wapplew

First title with new studio, see Halo 4 numbers.
Holiday with possible slim and price cut, Gears4 will benefit from that.
TPS have less competition unlike FPS.
Last mainline track 2m in it's first NPD, even 50% decline still over 1m.
Bigger install base

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Nah, people now know how bastard i could be :p next time the avatar won't be so brutal haha.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204429094&postcount=2676

First title with new studio, see Halo 4 numbers.
Holiday with possible slim and price cut, Gears4 will benefit from that.
TPS have less competition unlike FPS.
Last mainline track 2m in it's first NPD, even 50% decline still over 1m.
Bigger install base

Wut? Halo was already in decline, and Halo 4 numbers were not bad it's MP was the issue.

Gears outside judgement, which unlike halo 4 and mcc people dont really know about, has not seen a big release In 5 years when the game comes out give or take.

Each own with your take I guess.

Reach is more Halo than anything found in Halo 5 for me.

There is no question about it. Maybe I played a different game but to me halo 5 just doubled down on what 343i did with halo 4 and strayed even further from what made halo, halo. Reach wasn't quite as good as 1, 2 and 3 but it still felt pretty similar and had things like split screen co-op which were fundamental to the franchise.

The failure of halo 4 and the MCC certainly played a huge roll in the decline in he franchise. However the lack of quality and the continued stray away from series roots also added to the problem.

RexNovis

Banned
Can we please not turn a sales thread into a Halo bashing/praising thread. Talk about sales here or post in any one of the numerous Halo 5 related threads to bash or praise the game. Thats not what this thread is for.

I saw this but that is just a possible point of reference I was asking if we had any specific sell through figures for UC3 for its debut month etc or is that previously referenced sold in figure all we have?

Good point Uncharted has essentially an entire month of tracking

If we estimate the post release sales drop to mirror that of the UK in thus far it still might not hit it. I think we will see a big resurgence of sales for the game come holiday season though

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The order 1 week sell through: so many copies you can't even count the zeroes unless you can count to 4

Weird. I don't remember week 1 sell-through being announced for Tearaway Unfolded, The Order, Shadow Fall, Gravity Rush Remastered, etc. I must have missed those.

Wah, that's not what I was trying to say at all. I was saying that when they share a number, it's more likely to be a sell-through than other publishers. I remember the milestone being announced for Bloodborne on the PS Blog twice (1 million then 2 million), for Driveclub (though there wasn't a PR, just a tweet from Evolution), the first million for inFAMOUS Second Son, and of course we had a lot of updates in sell-through for the PS4 itselft. We also had a PR for Shadow Fall at launch since you mention it (2,1 million) but that one was sell-in.

No one would hide results that are this good. And no one publishes results that could be considered bad.

You don't think Activision, EA or Ubisoft would be able to share decent looking numbers with their first week / month sell-through ? The fact is they are never going to share those data anymore, while Sony is still doing it from time to time. Also gotta credits Nintendo who is not hiding their consoles & games sales data on their IR website, even if that's shipped.

Wah, that's not what I was trying to say at all. I was saying that when they share a number, it's more likely to be a sell-through than other publishers. I remember the milestone being announced for Bloodborne on the PS Blog twice (1 million then 2 million), for Driveclub (though there wasn't a PR, just a tweet from Evolution), the first million for inFAMOUS Second Son, and of course we had a lot of updates in sell-through for the PS4 itselft. We also had a PR for Shadow Fall at launch since you mention it (2,1 million) but that one was sell-in.

Why talk about sales when you have the pure, untainted, glory that is the Church of MAU?

ethomaz

Banned
I want SFV number... pleaseeeeee.

I read it is in TOP100 MPD this month... what that means? Less than 30k? Less than 20k?

Can we please not turn a sales thread into a Halo bashing/praising thread. Talk about sales here or post in any one of the numerous Halo 5 related threads to bash or praise the game. Thats not what this thread is for.
I undestand your worries but I guess Halo 5 not being Haloish is one of the points for the big drop in sales... there is nothing to talking in Halo related threads about that.

Most retailers want 2-3 weeks of coverage at launch. If you have 2 months supply after Day 1 it's bad.
That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.
That may be what retailers want on shelves and in back stock, but they order more than this. Distribution can't reliably supply small windows, even with the massive strides in JIT delivery. The channel as a whole nearly always contains a full 4 retail weeks. Depending on terms, a small portion of that may not yet be owned stock and thus not count as sold-in. But most retail partners buy ahead.

Well I would have won the bet, my belief was that the game would easily sell 5 million and looking at the figures, I ain't wrong. It's nothing special of a game and that's seen with the huge drop in the UK, it's not going to have those crazy TLOU legs. UC4 definitely won't do 10 million if that's what you mean, the hardcore have got the game and it ain't gonna do 4x its first week unless you count pack ins later on.

UC4 will sell more than games that are worse quality wise such as your Bloodbornes or Splatoons and less than TLOU worldwide. I think that sounds about right to me and shows some people have decent taste in games.

Bad taste and proselytism joince forces at every post of yours. I know the mantra about opinions and all, but still...

I remember when people were saying interest in Uncharted 4 would below because the collection didn't sell that well in the U.S. This really all guesswork and no one has a firm grasp on what will happen.

Top Bottom