• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2013 [Up2: Tons of Nintendo Software]

no one can really blame ubisoft when they pull all support, nor other third-parties when they continue to not support the system until its final game release in 2015.

I don't think they'll pull ALL support. Games like Rayman and Just Dance and things will probably still do well on the system.

Similarly, I doubt we'll stop seeing Sonic games on the system.

I won't be surprised when the cross-gen period ends and the games like Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell stop appearing, though.

WW already didn´t set the world on fire on a much more successful console 10 years ago. So i don´t know about the selling power. WiiU price is also ridiculously high still.

WW did over 300k first month in America and Gamecube sold 165k, Given they had that awesome pre-order bonus but there also wasn't a special edition console bundle like their is this time.

AniHawk

I really wonder about Wii U next month. 100k is probably impossible, but could it really miss 50k with a price drop and a Zelda bundle? If it did I think that it probably will have Vita-level or worse retail presence after the new systems hit.

vita's month-to-month sales went up by about 13k-14k. alone, that seems unimpressive. if you look at it on a weekly basis, it was averaging 4k a week in july. if that continued into august, then sales would have quadrupled in the very last week when the price dropped. hypothetically, it outsold its july 2013 in one week.

if the wii u gives a similar performance (3 weeks of 7k, plus one week of quadrupled sales), then you'd be looking at something right around 50k for august- probably slightly under.

some other factors to consider would be whether nintendo promotes the price drop and bundle with an ad campaign or not. right now, it's the only way to get the system. we'll know in about a week what their decision will be if they decide to run commercials. it would be a huge mistake not to do it.

vita's sales increased they way they did pretty much because of an announcement on the internet. i don't recall a 'the vita is 199.99' campaign by sony (that's probably coming with the redesign). so maybe if the word gets out there to people who don't spend their time on video game message boards, sales would spike a lot higher.

but even if it did a whopping 10x the standard amount for that week, sales wouldn't reach 100k for the month.

I don't think they'll pull ALL support. Games like Rayman and Just Dance and things will probably still do well on the system.

Similarly, I doubt we'll stop seeing Sonic games on the system.

I won't be surprised when the cross-gen period ends and the games like Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell stop appearing, though.

woops. didn't realize i put 'all' in there. i agree, family-friendly stuff will still be there, most likely if they see it with the return on investment. and yeah, asscreed and splinter cell will appear only on the paywall twins next gen.

AOC83

Banned
WW did over 300k first month in America and Gamecube sold 165k, Given they had that awesome pre-order bonus but there also wasn't a special edition console bundle like their is this time.

A new game on a console that was already at 150 or 100 $ at that time. Now we have a 300 $ console and a HD remake.

GTA V PS3 bundle is going to murder Microsoft.

Bookmarked for posterity. It's multiplat with same release date. If you look at history stuff like Batman AA was Sony marketed as exclusive and with extra content and still did worse than 360 version. There was even a thread questioning whether or not Sony are getting value for money from their moneyhats. So don't be too surprised if 360 > PS3 GTA.

Wow the PS3 has a $199 model now and it did absolutely nothing for it. lol

Yea. Both consoles need a bigger drop.

AniHawk

tww did over 800k at launch, in a time when games rarely did that number in a single week. i vaguely recall some people declaring the game a failure because it didn't do ocarina numbers (or at least hit a million), but the consensus was that it did well.

the gamecube was also the only console that month not to experience a month-to-month drop. the xbox's sales dropped 35k and the ps2's dropped 70k from march to february 2003. the gamecube's sales remained constant. it probably moved a decent amount of systems.

Very nice numbers for Xilia and Dragon Crown

Together with Japan that would put DC ~ 400k total.

vita's month-to-month sales went up by about 13k-14k. alone, that seems unimpressive. if you look at it on a weekly basis, it was averaging 4k a week in july. if that continued into august, then sales would have quadrupled in the very last week when the price dropped. hypothetically, it outsold its july 2013 in one week.

if the wii u gives a similar performance (3 weeks of 7k, plus one week of quadrupled sales), then you'd be looking at something right around 50k for august- probably slightly under.

some other factors to consider would be whether nintendo promotes the price drop and bundle with an ad campaign or not. right now, it's the only way to get the system. we'll know in about a week what their decision will be if they decide to run commercials. it would be a huge mistake not to do it.

vita's sales increased they way they did pretty much because of an announcement on the internet. i don't recall a 'the vita is 199.99' campaign by sony (that's probably coming with the redesign). so maybe if the word gets out there to people who don't spend their time on video game message boards, sales would spike a lot higher.

Also Vita price drop was annouced and took effect next day.

Wii U price cut was annouced few weeks in advance so there will be at least a small drop for next weeks,

AniHawk

A new game on a console that was already at 150 or 100 $ at that time. Now we have a 300 $ console and a HD remake.

the zelda fanbase turns out in the first month though. on a userbase of 835k, 238k people bought oot3d for the 3ds. if weekly sales were constant, the system would have sold 20k less for the month (this was before the price drop). it's what makes me think 60k is possible, although not that easy to obtain.

There was a Zelda Gamecube bundle, but not at Wind Waker's launch; it was the prior November/December. It wasn't a special themed console, it was just a Gamecube with the Zelda Collector's edition (Zelda 1, 2, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask) and a Wind Waker demo.

test_account

XP-39C²
Bookmarked for posterity. It's multiplat with same release date. If you look at history stuff like Batman AA was Sony marketed as exclusive and with extra content and still did worse than 360 version. There was even a thread questioning whether or not Sony are getting value for money from their moneyhats. So don't be too surprised if 360 > PS3 GTA.
I think he means hardware sales, not software sales. Its highly unlikely that GTA5 would sell more on PS3 at least, concidering how strong the Xbox 360 is in the US and that 99% of all multiplatform games sell best on Xbox 360 in the US.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Let me put in perspective how bad Lost Planet 3 sales are:

Back in February, Etrian Odyssey IV (a very niche release, with the best ones before IV selling little over 30k) sold a little less than 15k. In the same amount of days tracked for Lost Planet 3's first month.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Being up1% isn't much to celebrate, especially when the msrp of infinity is so high. Look how much Madden is down yoy. Those aren't healthy signs. What would you celebrate this month?

Then again, fair enough, I'm pretty macro focused

I had to review Madden 25 and actually if Madden is down and game sales overall are up, that's a reason to celeberate. I'm not a fan of sports games, so I wasn't too fed up, but if I was a Madden fan and bought a celberatory Madden 25, touting the 25th anniversary and would get this game, I'd be enormously enraged. It's a plain standard sports-update, they barely even do anything to celebrate the history of the series or to make this entry special. Madden 25 does absolutely not deserve any success, such a huge disrespectful game towards such a huge loyal fanbase. Their anniversary is celebrated by a logo-reel at the beginning and some small pictures of older games in loading screens. One hell of a birthday party.

no one can really blame ubisoft when they pull all support, nor other third-parties when they continue to not support the system until its final game release in 2015.

Let's first wait and see how Rayman and Assassin's Creed will do. Splinter Cell on Wii U is quite far off anything successful on the platform for quite a while, it has less content than the other versions at the same price and it wasn't too successful anyway, implying that it didn't find many buyers outside of the fanbase of the series. Rayman and AC will both be content-complete. If Rayman flops compared to other platforms, Ubisoft should absolutely cease to support the system besides Just Dance and Rabbids. If Rayman is successful but Assassin's Creed flops (of course, considering the strength of the brand, it could still be way behind PS360 versions and not be considered a flop, so this is a bit more tricky), they would be very right to not bring blockbuster-type games to Wii U. However I would still think it would be strange if they were not to bring the next Ancel project (be it Rayman or BGE) to Wii U, because his games nearly always are relatively close, gameplay-wise to what Nintendo does (platformers in Rayman, Zelda-style Action-Adventures in BGE). Finally, if both are successful, they should just decide beforehand, if they want to port a game to Wii U and if they do, do it completely, not with cut content.

By the way, I think the most likely scenario is that Rayman Legends will perform well and AC4 will be borderline (really strongly dependent on Ubisoft's goals).

jvm

Gamasutra.
We're past the point of system selling software for the HD twins. Only people left are value shoppers, and MS/Sony haven't budged on prices in ages.

The 12GB PS3 is a nice gesture but basically worthless if you pick up even 3 games with mandatory installs.
I'm not saying that GTAV or the 12GB PS3 are going to set Sony's market on fire, but I do think that The Last of Us could be credited with having improved Sony's PS3 sales at least in Europe. While MCV UK hasn't reported any of the sales figures directly, they did say that the PS3 saw its sales increase in tandem with the release and strong sales of TLoU.

Whether other titles can do something similar for the PS3 or Xbox 360, in the U.S., is another question -- but that software did appear to move some extra hardware.

2015? I was thinking they were gonna ride it out until it's at least past the Gamecube numbers by the end of 2017, and that's when the next console hits

xx is dead < 15k (360~67%)
sr4 < 450k (360~68%)
tox > 100k
ps3 dc < 60k

aonp7v.gif
[/IMG]

I agree.

So happy Xillia did well.

Is that good or bad for the game?

Good. Puts it at 350-400k LTD (JP and NA) which is very good for a game that had a budget of $1million. Its also Vaniallaware's best selling title by far and one of Atlus' best selling title iirc.

Usobuko

Banned
Is that good or bad for the game?

Game cost around $1m to developed, shipped 300k copies in Japan alone and sold around 170k at a slightly higher price than usual in the first week. Western sales is an afterthought and <86k isn't a bad figure. It's above the sales of average niche Japanese games in NA.

Let me put in perspective how bad Lost Planet 3 sales are:

Back in February, Etrian Odyssey IV (a very niche release, with the best ones before IV selling little over 30k) sold a little less than 15k. In the same amount of days tracked for Lost Planet 3's first month.

Funny thing is If Lost Planet 3 and KiD had bombed like that on the WiiU alone it would've been the console's fault. More reason to pull support.

Mpl90

Just a question: what's September tracking period? Sept 1 - Oct 5, right?

I am pretty happy to see that both DC and Tales of Xillia did well. DC sales on VITA are surprising especially considering the userbase difference between VITA/PS3. Still, the situation was similar in Japan were it did ~100k on VITA and ~140k on PS3.

Have we gotten the LTD for SMT IV, FE: Awakening, Ni No Kuni and Soul Sacrifice? Curious to see how these games have performed so far now.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
WiiU vs. Wii, GC, N64
Going with the 31k figure

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Embolden titles = first/2nd party

clicking should enlarge

Aug LTDs:
WiiU 1.25m
Wii 4.0m
GC 2.1m
N64 3.6m

Thanks as usual. With a bit of give, WiiU will be behind Gamecube by a million. There just isn't a way back from this, even with Mario Kart/Punchings spikes.

Mpl90

In a word: Yes.

However, It's always linked to from the prediction thread, so here you go:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXhc02VTSWzdFQ4ejJFMUtXdXlpM3NrREg3Z1c5eFE#gid=0

Thanks. So, this means, hardware wise

PS3 GTA bundle - September 17th - 18 days counted
Wii U Zelda: Wind Waker HD bundle (the only way to get the game at retail before October 4th) - September 20th - 15 days counted
3DS XL Pokémon X/Y limited editions (without the game included) - September 27th - 8 days counted

Mpl90

If i were Nintendo fan who already bought Wii U and suffered 8 months of drough I'd be really pissed off by this

The game comes out on eShop on September 20th too. But if you really want to get the physical copy, and you already have a Wii U, you have to wait until October 4th.

Bruno MB

First month of sales:

[360] Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Capcom) {2006.01.12} - 329,000
[360 - PS3] Lost Planet 3 (Capcom) {2013.08.27} - 10,000

Tales of Xillia is the second Tales of in the US with a debut over 100,000 units sold, really impressive.

[GCN] Tales of Symphonia (Nintendo) {2004.07.13} - 118,500
[PS3] Tales of Xillia (Namco Bandai Games) {2013.08.06} - 100,000

QaaQer

If i were Nintendo fan who already bought Wii U and suffered 8 months of drough I'd be really pissed off by this

It's just a cash grab from their most loyal fans. NoA is terrible. I also think it will hurt sales overall, because so much of console sales is front loaded. I know from my perspective with W101, because I've had to wait 2 or 3 weeks for it to release here, I don't have the same hype/urgency to buy it day one. I can imagine the same thing will happen with these staggered digital and physical releases.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
The game comes out on eShop on September 20th too. But if you really want to get the physical copy, and you already have a Wii U, you have to wait until October 4th.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that the Wii U WW HD bundle includes a code for a digital version of Wind Waker HD, not the actual physical game.

Edit: Yah, dug up a bit of the press release from that bundle's announcement.

The new, limited edition Wii U bundle includes:

· Black Wii U Console (32GB)

· The Legend of Zelda&#8482;: The Wind Waker HD Wii U GamePad

· The Legend of Zelda&#8482;: The Wind Waker HD full game digital download

· The Legend of Zelda&#8482;: Hyrule Historia digital download

jcm

Something tells me the only console that will be healthy for the next several years is going to be 3DS; industry crash ahooy

If the 3DS is what passes for healthy nowadays then the industry really is fucked.

Wouldn't PSV be like 30K or something going by what creamsugar posted?

I updated these a bit. Maybe they're more accurate, or maybe not. Thanks a lot, NPD.
Code:
Year Over Year            
          2013    2012    % Change
360         96     193     -50.26%
PS3         71     141     -49.65%
WIU         31       
WII         32      71     -54.93%
3DS        130     177     -26.55%
NDS          0      99    -100.00%
PSV         29      38     -23.68%
PSP          0       9    -100.00%

Family