• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall:

Overall retail sales are down 2% year over year for the full year.

Overall retail sales are up 2% year over year for December.

Hardware sales are up 5% year over year for December.

Software sales are down 17% year over year for December.

Software sales are down 9% year over year for the full year.

Software:

138991395288zqojr.jpg

Hardware:

Xbox One: 908K [Best selling next-gen console]
Xbox 360: 643K (-54.1%) [Best selling current-gen console]

Notes:
-Sony says they're still in the lead with PS4 when you add up sales of both systems over the two months.
-Nintendo's statement a few days ago would imply that the 3DS is somewhere near 1 million units, but we don't have an exact figure yet.
-The 3DS was the best selling system of both December and 2013.
-This was the Wii U's best month meaning it's above 460K. I'm unsure how Microsoft classes its generation to give us a ceiling.
-Aquamarine has provided a contextualized GameCube and Wii December NPD results post here for the interested (worst GameCube December was 573K near launch, worst Wii December prior to Wii U was 604K near launch): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97367510&postcount=407

Using the U.S. market as an example, Nintendo 3DS became the top-selling platform in the last calendar year, according to NPD, an independent market research company, with its cumulative sales exceeding 11.5 million units.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/140117/index.html

Other Info:

Microsoft PR said:
December NPD – Xbox One leads in December

December NPD Group figures released today revealed Xbox One was the number one selling console in the market in the U.S., selling 908,000 units in December. Additionally, Xbox 360 continued to see strong momentum with 643,000 units sold in December, putting it in the number three spot overall, and lead for last generation hardware. Together, Xbox One and Xbox 360 held 46 percent of the hardware market share in the U.S. and showed a 10 percent year over year growth from December 2012.

“We’re grateful for the excitement and support of our fans – many purchasing their next Xbox console and many joining the Xbox family for the first time,” said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of marketing, strategy and business for Xbox. “Our journey is just starting, with more innovation, games and entertainment coming in 2014 and far beyond.”

December 2013 NPD highlights include:

Total combined retail spend on the Xbox platform (Xbox One and Xbox 360) in December reached $1.39 billion, 50 percent of the combined software, hardware and accessories spend in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).
During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

Fans continue to show their excitement for new generation Xbox One games, with U.S. consumers purchasing an average of 2.9 games* per console since launch.

As Mehdi mentioned last week in a thank you letter to fans, 2013 was an incredible year for gamers, entertainment fans, our industry and Xbox. You can read his full letter here.

For more information on Xbox One and Xbox 360, please visit Xbox Wire for the latest news.

*retail and digital (internal Microsoft data)

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/xbox-one-december-npd

Sony PR said:
"According to the latest NPD report, PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next gen console sales in the US since the launch on November 15," said Sony's senior director of corporate communications, Dan Race.

"We sold every PS4 available at retail in the US and were out of stock in December due to overwhelming consumer demand. With more than 4.2 million PS4 systems sold worldwide, it's clear that the PS4's gaming and entertainment features are resonating with large audiences and we're doing our best to provide additional inventory in all of the 53 countries where it's available," added Race.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/445719/npd-xbox-one-tops-us-hardware-sales-in-december/

ShackNews via Road said:
However, while both new machines are having great, competitive launches, neither of them were able to beat Nintendo 3DS, the best selling system of 2013--not just December.

"Hardware sales of the Wii U were also positive with December 2013 marking its highest month for unit sales month so far," NPD analyst Liam Callahan noted. Guess having great games does sell hardware, huh?​

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82688/december-npd-xbox-one-beats-ps4-but-3ds-comes-out

Tripon

Guys, can we not do the console warring until we get all the numbers?

Edit: Or never at all. I mean, it will still likely happen, but one can hope civil discussion can break out.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
In this climate, with competition staring at it in the face directly. Its truly a testament to how big the Xbox name is here. My friends list because jumped overnight from Xbox 360 to XB1. Great console.

I know the info is forthcoming but this might be the most hilarious NPD post yet. It's as if NPD stopped providing even the top 10 games, only saying "yup, market's up" or "yup, market's down." Like the NPD Group report is just a big thumbs up or thumbs down.

EDIT: Oh, never mind, the software list was an image that wasn't loading, it's coming in now.

kurbaan

Banned
shits about go go down in this thread. Meltdowns and all.

X1 winning not too surprising since there was MS major focus. Need ps4 numbers.

MS wins December depsite all those pics of unsold consoles in stores I keep seeing. PS4 supply must be really terrible in the US?

Griss

Good result for Microsoft, even if it's a little lower than I thought. I always had them besting PS4 in December - Sony were spread too thin. Nothing wrong with that.

But we know those two machines launched well. The months ahead will tell a bigger story. Like most people, I'm really just in it for the Wii U numbers.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Ctrl + F

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon

None are mentioned :(

All multiplatforms titles.

3DS: ~ 1.000.000 (semi official)
XBO: 908.000
PS4: 680.000 - 908.000
360: 643.000
PS3: 0 - 643.000
Wii: 0 - 643.000

If XBO + 360 held 46% of hardware share we have 3.372.000 units total.

- 1.000.000 for 3DS that's 2.372.000

- 680.000 to 908.000 for PS4 that's 1.692.000 to 1.464.000

- 643.000 for PS3 maximum that's 1.049.000 to 821.000

So we have 821.000 to 1.049.000 units left for Wii U + Wii + PSV + NDS
Your calculation assumes PS3 sold 643k. If it's less than that then your final range will be higher.

Road

3DS: ~ 1.000.000 (semi official)
XBO: 908.000
PS4: 680.000 - 908.000
360: 643.000
PS3: 0 - 643.000
Wii: 0 - 643.000

If XBO + 360 held 46% of hardware share we have 3.372.000 units total.

- 1.000.000 for 3DS that's 2.372.000

- 680.000 to 908.000 for PS4 that's 1.692.000 to 1.464.000

- 643.000 for PS3 maximum that's 1.049.000 to 821.000

So we have 821.000 to 1.049.000 units left for Wii U + Wii + PSV + NDS

You have to take 1551k of XBO+360 out of 3372k.

Microsoft is absolutely not including handhelds, or else we have 550k left for everyone else.

It makes sense that the XBOne would manage to move more units than the blink and its gone PS4 in December. Sony clearly went for a global strategy after they had managed to topple the MS domination in the US.

However, if Sony is not able to capitalize on the glut of XBOnes available in the US and dominate sales in January, then I think they are making a mistake in priorities. I don't necessarily expect that, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Xbox One had one of the best launches ever (PS4, obviously so), but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by ~900K for December with consoles readily available. I suppose I shouldn't be, no other launch system (prior to these two) has done this, but you'd think launch + holidays would at least allow the system to sell out at least through Christmas.

Oh well, it did better than Wii U, and stands to continue to perform well through early next year, most likely. I think it's becoming more and more evident that PS4 is going to be the runaway winner in the U.S., barring some competitive shift, since PS4 is going to maintain overall lead despite Xbox One's numbers and them being unable to keep up with demand even now after the holidays are over. That price advantage is going to be incredibly beneficial going forward.

chadskin

Meanwhile, in a statement responding to Decembers NPD figures Sony instead focused on its 'cumulative lead' in the new console sales race, blaming a stock shortfall for hindering sales in the month.

"According to the latest NPD report, PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next gen console sales in the US since the launch on November 15," said Sony's senior director of corporate communications, Dan Race.

"We sold every PS4 available at retail in the US and were out of stock in December due to overwhelming consumer demand. With more than 4.2 million PS4 systems sold worldwide, it's clear that the PS4's gaming and entertainment features are resonating with large audiences and we're doing our best to provide additional inventory in all of the 53 countries where it's available," added Race.

via CVG

Flarin

I hate how boring and predictable that list of best selling games is -__- Here's hoping a game or two can shake things up in December.
Looking at you, Bravely Default.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Maybe PS4 woulda had more sales if it wasn't supply constrained as fuck.

That top 10 is so fucking depressing though.

Top Bottom