• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

Biker19

Banned
Yep. I'm actually surprised at the lack of PR bragging. I'm sure it sold well --- it's a new game on a new system --- but no "gamers bought XX many games in 24 hours!" really has me wondering.

And there is NO WAY Microsoft/EA are sitting on incredible numbers sold to announce later. That is not their M.O.

(Yes, I saw the "hundreds of thousands" release, which really tells us nothing.)

Agreed. If this game had sold a lot of copies &/or helped sold a lot of Xbox One consoles, you would think that the gaming press & Microsoft/EA themselves would be flooding the headlines about something like, "TitanFall is the next COD within a lot of gamers!", etc.

Mediocre Sales for Wii U, despite Donkey Kong release.

Good sales for PS4 + Xbox One.

Impressive sales for Bravely Default.

Will be interesting to see what sales spike Mario Kart 8 and Infamous Second Son will produce.

CoG

Yep. I'm actually surprised at the lack of PR bragging. I'm sure it sold well --- it's a new game on a new system --- but no "gamers bought XX many games in 24 hours!" really has me wondering.

And there is NO WAY Microsoft/EA are sitting on incredible numbers sold to announce later. That is not their M.O.

(Yes, I saw the "hundreds of thousands" release, which really tells us nothing.)

If you see a "Over 10M titans dropped" or "Over 1B rounds fired" press release you know they blew it.

kswiston

Mediocre Sales for Wii U, despite Donkey Kong release.

Good sales for PS4 + Xbox One.

Impressive sales for Bravely Default.

Will be interesting to see what sales spike Mario Kart 8 and Infamous Second Son will produce.

Donkey Kong Country would have had to actually sell if it was going to cause a major spike in console sales.

Honestly, I don't see a gigantic spike for Mario Kart 8 either. Over 100k for sure. Maybe 200-300k. But not enough to matter.

zashga

Nice to see BD chart. Game's a major improvement over 4HoL; hopefully we'll get a third game that's even better.

Please don't put it on iOS, guys.

kswiston

GTA5 says otherwise.
:-D

Do First Person Shooters even sell that much better than sandbox games?

Not that I think Infamous will be bigger than Titanfall, but the genres are not guarantees of sales. Tons of attempted FPS franchise launches have bombed.

Mrbob

I wouldn't sleep on Infamous. There is plenty of room for franchise growth being the first "big thing" on PS4. Plus Infamous 2 sold decently opening month, roughly 369K. Infamous Second Son should do better numbers than this. However, I don't think it'll be enough to overcome the mega hype of TitanFall in the USA. TitanFall should go north of 500K on XB1 for March.

This, & TitanFall will be no different.

It would be embarrassing if TF happens to have sold less than a million copies on Xbox One, considering all of the marketing that it had behind it.

One million is a CoD level attachment.

Biker19

Banned
Do First Person Shooters even sell that much better than sandbox games?

Not that I think Infamous will be bigger than Titanfall, but the genres are not guarantees of sales. Tons of attempted FPS franchise launches have bombed.

It would be embarrassing if TF happens to have sold less than a million copies on Xbox One, considering all of the marketing that it had behind it.

Brashnir

In the first month or lifetime? I don't think there's enough consoles out there for a million+ in the first month to have ever been reasonable for a March launch. Gears of War barely did a million launching in November on a console with a bigger install base.

Biker19

Banned
In the first month or lifetime? I don't think there's enough consoles out there for a million+ in the first month to have ever been reasonable for a March launch. Gears of War barely did a million launching in November on a console with a bigger install base.

In the first month. Though I would say after the first week, considering that's where most of the sales for the games are. After the first week, then sales for games begins to start tapering off.

prag16

Banned
Donkey Kong Country would have had to actually sell if it was going to cause a major spike in console sales.

Honestly, I don't see a gigantic spike for Mario Kart 8 either. Over 100k for sure. Maybe 200-300k. But not enough to matter.
The MK8 bump could split over two months since it drops May 30th. May not see a huge spike in a single month for that reason.

In the first month.

That's right, keep those goalposts far enough away so that you can continue this negative campaigning of yours. This is a new ip and it's also coming out on three different platforms and requires XBox Gold to play (on the XBox platforms). So to simply say it needs to sell 1 million in the first month or it's an embarassment on only the XBox One shows just how out of touch you really are and/or how you seem to want to hold the XBox One to whatever standards you desire.

Let's be honest, you want this game to not do well. At least in relation to the XBox One.

The last hope I see now. First it was manufatured hype for TF.. .then it wasn't going to be good because of only 6 vs 6 and the game just keeps being fun as hell through the Alpha.. then the Beta... and now it's out, and it's awesome. Most fun FPS I've had playing in years... and now the last hope is.. Well, it's not selling well or they'd of bragged about it.

Ha ha ha.. there's always that hope for SOMETHING bad to go along with TF.

Game is awesome!

The last hope I see now. First it was manufatured hype for TF.. .then it wasn't going to be good because of only 6 vs 6 and the game just keeps being fun as hell through the Alpha.. then the Beta... and now it's out, and it's awesome. Most fun FPS I've had playing in years... and now the last hope is.. Well, it's not selling well or they'd of bragged about it.

Ha ha ha.. there's always that hope for SOMETHING bad to go along with TF.

Game is awesome!
It still might have sold healthily on PC. But that doesn't help Microsoft too much I guess.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

Expect a lot of obfuscation next month where they keep crowing about an amazing total sales figure, doing their damnedest to keep from divulging that the 360 version is the one that actually fueled most of the ascent, not the XB1 one.

That's not even a bad thing, I mean the 360 has the bigger install base over One by leaps and bounds, it absolutely should sell better there. But MS will definitely take it as a black eye if their big system-defining game is moving the majority of units on their other system.

Lady Gaia

What? Outselling TF? Seriously dude... 0% chance of that happening.

No, not seriously "dude." Absolutely serious babe, perhaps. I think it stands a good chance if, as I stated, you only consider the new console SKUs. A mainstream action title on a system with a larger installed base versus a multiplayer-only title? I'll take those odds.

dolemite

The install base in the US for XBone and PS4 is pretty similar number-wise. Yet XBone enjoys a higher attach rate for some reason. Titanfall (XBone) will dominate InFamous in the US.

Is it unrealistic that I expect inFamous to sell about 500K in the US and over a million worldwide by the end of March?

Probably a little? It's fairly hard to predict. Likely by the end of March, PS4 will be pushing 6.5 - 7 million units sold as per the standard selling rates but that would still be about a 14% attach rate which is fairly high

Not to mention that Infamous releases March 21st and will only have 10 days in March

beast786

Probably a little? It's fairly hard to predict. Likely by the end of March, PS4 will be pushing 6.5 - 7 million units sold as per the standard selling rates but that would still be about a 14% attach rate which is fairly high

Not to mention that Infamous releases March 21st and will only have 10 days in March

Plus keep in mind many will buy DD.

kswiston

10 vs 20 days on the charts makes little sales difference in the case of most core games. They are extremely frontloaded, unless we are looking at holiday releases. We have these discussions whenever an exclusive releases near the end of the month, and most of the time the game is nowhere to be seen on the next month's chart. If Infamous was getting like 3 days of sales in, maybe that would be different.

They're both high profile, heavily promoted exclusive* titles. I hope and expect both will have attach rates north of 25% on the new systems in March NPD. I don't think that's that unrealistic. I doubt the number of days will have a huge impact.

*Yes, I know, I know, Titanfall is also on PC/360.

causan

With Infamous being a exclusive and all those amazing looking screenshots that have been coming out Im starting to think it might be possible that Infamous does outsell Titanfall on Xbox1 in March.

coldfoot

Banned
Still more than 999 left at Amazon, I wonder what the selling rate and shipment size is. The selling rate of the last 999 should give us an idea.

FiggyCal

Banned
With Infamous being a exclusive and all those amazing looking screenshots that have been coming out Im starting to think it might be possible that Infamous does outsell Titanfall on Xbox1 in March.

It's very possible. It's definitely going to happen worldwide, but it's something that I also think can happen in the U.S.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
It's very possible. It's definitely going to happen worldwide, but it's something that I also think can happen in the U.S.

Well, I believe that inFamous is going to be the fastest selling next-gen console exclusive in March.

Top Bottom