• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2014 [Up2: PS4/XB1/Wii U/360 Hardware, BD/Poke/DK]

mrJared

Banned
not really a fair competition, since Infamous has to compete with another PS4 exclusive this month in Ground Zeroes, since no one will be buying that on the Bone... Kojima made sure of that.

but I hope it does well, Infamous looks gorgeous.

Really? I think this months slate will pretty much wreck 2013. Diablo 3 did really well in NPD when it came out and I'd imagine RoS will sell physical box copies pretty decently for whatever strange reason.

Infamous + TItanfall + Dark Souls 2 + South Park + MGS:GZ + FFX HD on top of that really should push this month ahead

MLB The Show is an April / May release though. edit: Wait does April 1st fall into the tracking period? Guess it does.
I think Infamous and Titanfall will perform well and comparatively to some of the top games from March 2013.

- If FFX and X-2 HD manages similar to KH1.5HD that would probably be pretty good (270K).
- Dark Souls did ~350K in October 2011; I don't really expect the sequel to do more considering most last gen software has seen declines.
- There's a day or two of tracking for MLB 14, compared to essentially a full month for MLB 13, so it's going to do less.
- I think a lot of people have cottoned on to Ground Zeroes essentially being a paid demo, I'm not sure how well it will perform. The full-fledged MGS4 did about 775K.
- I have no idea about South Park - is it expected to be a big seller?
- I doubt anything else on that release list except the Diablo expansion and Yoshi's New Island crack 100K though?

Catalogue sales in general (COD, AC, Madden, NBA etc.) have seemed to be lower than in 2013 as well.

So I just can't see there being 4 games >600K or 6 games >350K, possibly 10+ games >100K though. :(

We were getting on him for calling it a "mediocre open world game" while he was praising a shooter that's nothing more than COD with mechs.

Oh for Heaven's sake, I adore Infamous and I've owned (or am about to own) every console Sony have ever made... and even I could see clear as day that this guy was talking about the game having mediocre sales, NOT mediocre quality.

That said, I don't think an apology is due because his sentence was constructed so poorly that confusion was inevitable; here of all places.

jim2011

not really a fair competition, since Infamous has to compete with another PS4 exclusive this month in Ground Zeroes, since no one will be buying that on the Bone... Kojima made sure of that.

but I hope it does well, Infamous looks gorgeous.

ha, i get your sarcasm but if all people cared about were graphics they wouldn't get Ground Zeroes on PS3 or 360 either...

That said, I'm getting it on PS4.

I think Infamous and Titanfall will perform well and comparatively to some of the top games from March 2013.

- If FFX and X-2 HD manages similar to KH1.5HD that would probably be pretty good (270K).
- Dark Souls did ~350K in October 2011; I don't really expect the sequel to do more considering most last gen software has seen declines.
- There's a day or two of tracking for MLB 14, compared to essentially a full month for MLB 13, so it's going to do less.
- I think a lot of people have cottoned on to Ground Zeroes essentially being a paid demo, I'm not sure how well it will perform. The full-fledged MGS4 did about 775K.
- I have no idea about South Park - is it expected to be a big seller?
- I doubt anything else on that release list except the Diablo expansion and Yoshi's New Island crack 100K though?

Catalogue sales in general (COD, AC, Madden, NBA etc.) have seemed to be lower than in 2013 as well.

So I just can't see there being 4 games >600K or 6 games >350K, possibly 10+ games >100K though. :(

Yeah i was talking about this in another thread a week or so ago, last march was just very stacked.

Even April last year had injustice and a pretty big schedule of smaller stuff, this april has ...JoJo? Amazing spiderman 2? Honestly dont see all the new releases combined doing much more than injustice did last year.

May should be a big increase this year over last though, Watch Dogs, Mario Kart, Wolfenstein, UFC. Last may had that shitty fast and furious game and thats about it.

Fox Mulder

No way in hell Infamous sells more in the U.S. (we are talking about NPD here) short term or long term. Also as far as "fastest selling", how could you not give the edge to Titanfall? Stores even opened up at midnight for it. It will easily hold the record for best selling next gen title in a single day.

wouldn't we have heard something already if it did amazing record setting day one numbers though?

mrJared

Banned
ha, i get your sarcasm but if all people cared about were graphics they wouldn't get Ground Zeroes on PS3 or 360 either...

That said, I'm getting it on PS4.

oh, it's not just about one having prettier graphics and everyone deciding to get that one. It also has to do with the psychological effects Xbox owners feel when they know thy are getting the 'shit' version. Its why Tomb Raider was allowed to break street date when the framerate info broke... minimize the damage, and it still sold at like a 2 or 3:1 ratio for PS4.

so come the 18th, expect to hear a lot of "overpriced demo" talk from certain folks

Sid

T

Sony also used it's own metrics in a meeting with EA last week and showed them what they would have sold on the ps3 and ps4. The money EA took from MS doesn't even begin to cover it. The EA guys went over the math and agreed. EA is in full "We're so fucking sorry, Sony" mode currently.

Also, Titanfall 360 is 30 fps. That's just for free for reading my post.
Then why did EA enter into a lifetime exclusivity contract with MS for Titanfall?

Then why did EA enter into a lifetime exclusivity contract with MS for Titanfall?

Because they've already signed a one-year exclusivity deal long ago?

It's highly unlikely for a game that's delayed for one year to seriously sell a significant amount on another platform.

In that case, assuming MS is offering sufficient amounts of up-front cash, it's in some ways more appealing to just take that cash, and boost their quarterly earnings immediately, rather than hope that a PS4 SKU sell massively well 12 months later.

Log4Girlz

Which console is selling more by volume?

I mean, just because the numbers say the PS4 is selling more, that doesn't mean that the XBone can't be selling more, y'know what I mean?

Someone needs to calculate the cubic inches at play because I have a feeling that MS might be the real winners here.

You win this time Microsoft

mcBItGE.jpg

┐(´-`)┌
whatever you say.... I saw the bolded I am just giving up

Edit: I also like bananas so your avatar is also displeasing to me

image.php

He's just saying demand for bananas is outstripping supply, everybody wants bananas but they can't get hold of them. The sign means:

'Yes, we have no bananas today - perhaps we can tempt you with these lovely green apples?'

No way in hell Infamous sells more in the U.S. (we are talking about NPD here) short term or long term. Also as far as "fastest selling", how could you not give the edge to Titanfall? Stores even opened up at midnight for it. It will easily hold the record for best selling next gen title in a single day.

fastest selling is a joke about Major Nelson, and how he divided month sales by amount of days available in the month to make XOne "fastest selling" console for November.

Titanfall, March 11th = 20 days
inFamous, March 21st = 10 days

total sales / 10 will most probably be bigger than total sales / 20, unless Titanfall sells over double infamous?

Saty

So we have the top 5, right?

1) Call of Duty: Ghosts

2) LEGO Movie Videogame

3) NBA 2K14

4) Thief

5) GTA

GTA sold slightly less than 210K this month, so you can imagine that Thief is somewhere relatively close to it.
So lets say it did 250k, that's not really a good start and makes it doubtful the game can be a success for SE. Certainly not with its troubled dev cycle. Again, 360&PS3 software sales flat-lining is bad news for this year's games because the sales were meant to be based on those versions and the reason for there being cross-gen titles.

If that continues and PS4&XB1 software sales don't ramp up quick enough to cover that, then it's not going to be pretty.

People can say whatever they please, the staggered release dates won't have a material impact on the sales trajectory — just the short-term reporting. Look on the bright side: Infamous will almost certainly be the "fastest selling" new-gen title launched in March during the initial reporting period. ;-)

While I suspect Second Son will indeed outsell Titanfall on PS4/Xbone given a half-decent marketing campaign, I fully expect TF to have serious legs if you include PC and 360. It should do substantially better across all platforms combined or it risks being dubbed a huge failure.

What? Outselling TF? Seriously dude... 0% chance of that happening.

Yaoibot

What? Outselling TF? Seriously dude... 0% chance of that happening.

Its kind of alarming that MS haven't touted any 24 or even 48h sales yet, don't you think? If we don't hear anything by next Tuesday I think its safe to safe the game didn't sell as well as they hoped. On another note, PS4 availability is skyrocketing now, so I'm fully expecting Sony to claim March too - however narrow the victory and regardless of all the bundles and markdowns MS is doing. There are some high profile games launching on PS4 this month, and I think people are vastly underestimating the value of MGS and inFamous.

I'm actually surprised that the PS4 sold that much. Very supply constrained in Feb almost everywhere. Amazon for example, had a date at one point that was 20~ days away from saying they'd have stock.

Its kind of alarming that MS haven't touted any 24 or even 48h sales yet, don't you think? If we don't hear anything by next Tuesday I think its safe to safe the game didn't sell as well as they hoped. On another note, PS4 availability is skyrocketing now, so I'm fully expecting Sony to claim March too - however narrow the victory and regardless of all the bundles and markdowns MS is doing. There are some high profile games launching on PS4 this month, and I think people are vastly underestimating the value of MGS and inFamous.

The numbers aren't obviously going to break 1 million for a single platform out the gate with the current userbase size, and neither will Infamous. The One version will likely sell somewhere north of 500k in March in the US, In doubt inFamous will do the same. MGS will do better than expected though, naturally

Pain

Banned
What marketing campaign for Second Son? I intend on buying it but there is no comparison in terms of marketing. You have titanfall and then you have everything else. It's all over the place. I've yet to see ads for Infamous yet have been seeing ads for Titanfall since launch of Xbox One.

You're obviously didn't major in Nelsonomics.

Abdiel

What marketing campaign for Second Son? I intend on buying it but there is no comparison in terms of marketing. You have titanfall and then you have everything else. It's all over the place. I've yet to see ads for Infamous yet have been seeing ads for Titanfall since launch of Xbox One.

Sheesh, the hype in this post. The northeast District for Best Buy has sold 400 copies of TF since launch. They were shipped 1200. That's all of the Best Buy stores in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. I checked with the gamestop in the Nashua, NH and Salem, NH malls, and they each had 20 pre-orders.

Single day sales being fastest selling? I'm just not seeing it. It's got a dedicated base picking it up, but it's not going to touch the CoD or even BF4 single day sales.

Note: I'm not making any predictions about Infamous beating TF, though considering the thirst for a real (read: exclusively) next-gen game. And I don't think we'll see a lot of publicity regarding TF's PC sales out of Microsoft, afterall, so who knows where it will break down.

Though I was at a 99 Restaurant the other night, and they had Fox News going, and during the hour or so I was there, I saw the live action Infamous commercial twice. No Titanfall commercial the whole time. So it might be network to network, too.

Yaoibot

The numbers aren't obviously going to break 1 million for a single platform out the gate with the current userbase size, and neither will Infamous. The One version will likely sell somewhere north of 500k in March in the US, In doubt inFamous will do the same. MGS will do better than expected though, naturally

I never said anything about MGS numbers, but it is historically a PS franchise and thus another reason to pick the box up. That's two high-profile IPs within days of each other.

dolemite

fastest selling is a joke about Major Nelson, and how he divided month sales by amount of days available in the month to make XOne "fastest selling" console for November.

Titanfall XBone, PC, March 11th = 20 days
inFamous, March 21st = 10 days
Titanfall 360, March 25th = 6 days

total sales / 10 will most probably be bigger than total sales / 20, unless Titanfall sells over double infamous?

I've corrected your post slightly. The 360 version has been strategically placed two weeks after the Bone version and should not be ignored.

We were getting on him for calling it a "mediocre open world game" while he was praising a shooter that's nothing more than COD with mechs.

Confirmed Xbox fanboy. That's all we needed to know.

What the hell is this? People like myself are getting tired of this nonsense. Have we really reached such low levels here on NeoGAF calling people fanboys and resorting to name-calling because you hate Microsoft that badly. Titanfall is also on the PC. Both InFamous and Titanfall have gotten very positive reviews and he wasn't talking about the quality unlike you who keeps dismissing Titanfall because it's being marketed as a must have game linked to the XBox, You're the one sounding like the very person your accusing him of being. There is no reason to choose sides while throwing mud at each other because one is on the Playstation and one is on the XBox.

Longsword

So lets say it did 250k, that's not really a good start and makes it doubtful the game can be a success for SE. Certainly not with its troubled dev cycle. Again, 360&PS3 software sales flat-lining is bad news for this year's games because the sales were meant to be based on those versions and the reason for there being cross-gen titles.

If that continues and PS4&XB1 software sales don't ramp up quick enough to cover that, then it's not going to be pretty.

Agreed on Thief, even with the tax credits in Montreal, it is very hard to see how this will end up being profitable for SE.

The point about last-gen sales is perhaps the most important: it is great the next gen consoles are selling pretty well, but their software sales will have to pick up the slack from the falling 360/PS3 sales, or the 3rd parties will face really tough financial reality. What we need is sustained year-on-year software growth to offset the raising dev costs. The full-year results will be very interesting.

I would love to know how much games like LoL affect the boxed retail sales, maybe one day someone will do research on it.

Fox Mulder

that's what I was wondering. Where's Major Nelson touting sales? Where's the spun stats for the highest profile game of new generation so far.

it's curious.

This is slightly off topic but would someone please explain why ******** isn't trusted? The website looks really impressive and it indicates that companies like bloomberg and Sony use them.

Are people who slag it off just fanboys who'll sing its praises when their console of choice is on top?

PM Welcome to keep thread on topic.

Edit: love that the profanity filter blocks it out, kind of tells me all I need to know!

johnny956

This is slightly off topic but would someone please explain why ******** isn't trusted? The website looks really impressive and it indicates that companies like bloomberg and Sony use them.

Are people who slag it off just fanboys who'll sing its praises when their console of choice is on top?

Edit: love that the profanity filter blocks it out, kind of tells me all I need to know!

It's because they actually don't get their data from retail stores like NPD it's just estimating . They guess and then they have corrections every month when NPD comes out and of course they just copy/paste japanese weekly numbers into their totals

dolemite

They take other companies' data (MC, MCV, NPD), incorporate it into their numbers, and not acknowledge the source.... that's stealing.

TeddyBoy

Oh ok. So when they report UK sales figures they're just pulling them out of their arses, because as I understand it UK sales are rarely disclosed.

There are few hard numbers for UK sales, but from the PAL charts thread you can get vague ideas were certain releases have sales (from using sales that are given and using their week on week decreases). Just pick some numbers which line up and you get a convincing looking chart.

A few Gaffers do this in the PAL threads, there isn't too much to talk about as most of the sales have a quite a large range and since the PAL region is per country basis most sales are quite low (similar to Japan sales).

Road

Short answer: Their numbers are made up, straight up bullshit fantasy.

Look at their numbers for this past February for the US:

PS4 - 202k
One - 145k

Now compare with OP

Chartz owner must be one of those few delusional Lightning fans.

VGC sales for LRFFXIII: 390k
NPD sales for LRFFXIII: 175k

lol

womfalcs3

Banned
Look at their numbers for this past February for the US

PS4 ~ 202k
One ~ 145k

Now compare with OP...

They go back and revise their numbers as data comes out. So while the most recent figures are off and should not be trusted, the older most important data (like regional hardware sales) tend to converge to actual data.

It would've been a good idea for them if they just focused on compiling references and official data rather than try to estimate last week's data.

Fox Mulder

It's because they actually don't get their data from retail stores like NPD it's just estimating . They guess and then they have corrections every month when NPD comes out and of course they just copy/paste japanese weekly numbers into their totals

but if they go back and correct, wouldn't their database of back numbers be valid?

They're numbers that would require access to full NPD reports/databases.

So they're either inaccurate, or they're accurate, but the product of impropriety and probably illegality being monetized.

kswiston

The price increase in Canada isn't exactly going to help Sony's sales.

Probably help XB1 sales in the end considerably.

As unhappy as I am at that price increase, it won't mean anything in the long run. The Canadian Market is less than 10% of the US Market. NPD is US only, so Canadian sales don't affect this report. Worldwide, some fluctuation in Canada won't make a noticeable impact on things. Canada is like 2-3% of the worldwide market.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sheesh, the hype in this post. The northeast District for Best Buy has sold 400 copies of TF since launch. They were shipped 1200. That's all of the Best Buy stores in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. I checked with the gamestop in the Nashua, NH and Salem, NH malls, and they each had 20 pre-orders.

Single day sales being fastest selling? I'm just not seeing it. It's got a dedicated base picking it up, but it's not going to touch the CoD or even BF4 single day sales.
Yeah, from what I'm seeing, XB1 copies of Titanfall are in no vague danger of being sold out anywhere. To be fair, though, EA historically likes to choke retailers with frontloaded shipments, they've been doing the same with Battlefield in previous years. Seeing an excessive amount of copies doesn't necessarily mean it's not moving well, EA just likes to overproduce.

Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised to see TF get an insane bump from the 360 SKU, it's pretty myopic that everyone's so focused on the XB1 sku and the 360 one is barely in the discussion. I think a lot of 360's sizable COD crowd aren't at the interest tipping-point for Titanfall where they'd plunk down $500 to play it on a new system, but many are at a point where they've heard enough of the hype that they'll throw down $60 to play it on the one they already own. This stance has been well-reinforced by repeated impressions of TF's visuals being that they're no great showcase of the next-gen power boost. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 360 version ends up moving more units in its 6-day window than the XB1 one moves in its 20-day one.

In regards to Infamous' lack of visible hype, it kinda feels like single-player games are a totally different beast in the way they trend. Even a juggernaut like GTAV didn't really feel like it blew up in interest and mentions until the point where it actually released. There's a sizable chunk of people that have a 'silent interest' in single-player games; They want the game and they're hyped for it, but they only view whatever pre-release info happens to slide across their desk, they don't actively go out and seek it. This is in stark opposition to the hype cycle for a multiplayer game like TF, where people are voracious for streams and impressions pre-release. There's no fear of "ruining" anything in MP footage, being able to bathe in footage of map layouts and getting a feel for the game's rhythm well before the game is in hand offers something of a competitive advantage. For SP games, viewing anything pre-release is stumbling into a spoiler minefield.

Anyway, Infamous's 'silent interest' makes the actual interest very hard to gauge. But I definitely wouldn't take the absence of evidence as evidence of absence. PS4 has a lot of new owners starving for a showcase title, it'll do well.

They're numbers that would require access to full NPD reports/databases.

So they're either inaccurate, or they're accurate, but the product of impropriety and probably illegality being monetized.

And they are published ahead of npd data so even if they are getting access to real stuff the first version is "educated" guess.

people who are expecting titanfall to be some amazing seller for x1 are in for a rude awakening i think, i dont know if infamous can sell more given the media blitz by ms but the sales will certainly be comparable. i wont even be surprised if infamous sells more

spookyfish

wouldn't we have heard something already if it did amazing record setting day one numbers though?

Yep. I'm actually surprised at the lack of PR bragging. I'm sure it sold well --- it's a new game on a new system --- but no "gamers bought XX many games in 24 hours!" really has me wondering.

And there is NO WAY Microsoft/EA are sitting on incredible numbers sold to announce later. That is not their M.O.

(Yes, I saw the "hundreds of thousands" release, which really tells us nothing.)

Top Bottom