• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

Sterok

Well, I thought Street Fighter would do better, but I also thought Capcom wouldn't screw it up with Sony breathing down their necks. So much for that hope. At least Fates is pulling through. And Primal seems to be reviewing decently, so that should be fine as well.

Also it needs to be mentioned, how the hell has Capcom just collapsed like this. They own so many key franchises and yet can't seem to get anything going.

Also it needs to be mentioned, how the hell has Capcom just collapsed like this. They own so many key franchises and yet can't seem to get anything going.

Except for MH, almost all their stuff is failing.

It sucks. Nirolak mentioned in another thread that they were disappointed by Great Ace Attorney sales. Which is the worst news ever for me.

Saving this thread so all you guys can eat crow in 6 months. SFV was not outlined to sell 1.5 million it first week and not 5 million in a year. It's a slow burner title that will continually improve over time, and get marketing from the FGC until big updates happen for casual audience like a ladder mode, big story update, etc...they're probably will be more story updates besides the June one, more SP content released, I mean if we all can speculate about what we would like to see, I think it's reasonable that Capcom has some of this stuff in store. Id say 6 months is a better gauge if SFV underperformed or not. We have to see if this strategy works before we call doom and gloom, I personally think it will do just fine in the long run.

FATALITY

Banned
Except for MH, almost all their stuff is failing.

It sucks. Nirolak mentioned in another thread that they were disappointed by Great Ace Attorney sales. Which is the worst news ever for me.
MH is only relevant in Japan. Rest of the world don't give a shit about MH

Saving this thread so all you guys can eat crow in 6 months. SFV was not outlined to sell 1.5 million it first week and not 5 million in a year. It's a slow burner title that will continually improve over time, and get marketing from the FGC until big updates happen for casual audience like a ladder mode, big story update, etc...they're probably will be more story updates besides the June one, more SP content released, I mean if we all can speculate about what we would like to see, I think it's reasonable that Capcom has some of this stuff in store. Id say 6 months is a better gauge if SFV underperformed or not. We have to see if this strategy works before we call doom and gloom, I personally think it will do just fine in the long run.

Games are front loaded. Nearly all of them. Even if it legs decently at a $30 price point thats not really a great success. Publishers WANT games to be front loaded. They want massive sales Day 1 and Week 1 at the games highest price point with high Season Pass attachment rates. SFV is a very dissapointing launch no matter how you slice it.

And while legs are a good thing how will SFV attain them? The blow back post launch has been enormous

I'm sure you'll bump this thread even if you're wrong too.

LordRaptor

And while legs are a good thing how will SFV attain them? The blow back post launch has been enormous

I think we know how this is going to go;
- Makes February NPD top ten list at like... 7th place or something, discussion about great move on Sonys part backing it was
- numbers leak that put that 7th place in perspective
- discussion about how NPD only tracked 9 days worth of sales (or whatever) too soon to say it underperformed
- Isn't in top ten for March NPDs at all, discussion about how it probably has 50% of its sales digital
- long wait until Capcoms next financial results
- discussion about how casuals wanting singleplayer mode ruined the franchise and how Capcom should have just catered to FGC and tournament players

So since weve already discussed the other 2 big releases this month in comparison to SFV and now that we have more perspective on what retail is looking like for the game, I got another question for Sales GAF.

Which opens larger, SFV or Plants vs Zombies 2?

So since weve already discussed the other 2 big releases this month in comparison to SFV and now that we have more perspective on what retail is looking like for the game, I got another question for Sales GAF.

Which opens larger, SFV or Plants vs Zombies 2?

You make this too easy.

Always bet against SFV.

MH is only relevant in Japan. Rest of the world don't give a shit about MH

4 Ultimate has sold over a million units in the west, making it the most successful entry in the series by a wide margin outside of Japan. It's still very much a niche franchise in the west but overall, it's been pretty successful globally in recent years.

Street Fighter might be a slow burner and doing much better for 40$ and with more content, so far it's not an appealing product, especially for this price. Don't knowif it will recoup, but as a scoop for Sony, having console exclusivity, it would have been far better to have either a complete game at launch, or a pricepoint that fits what's offered. Missed opportunity.

allan-bh

After UK sales I really have no way to keep my idea that SF V could sell 400k in US.

NPD number should be bad and Capcom deserves.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I starting to believe Street Fighter V will not chart. If it will, i'm gonna say a low #10.
Last year The Order was #9 with >200,000 sales, and i really don't see Street Fighter sell better.

My prediction is < 200K for SFV as well.

How many weeks did Street Fighter 4 have in its first month?

2 weeks.

allan-bh

I starting to believe Street Fighter V will not chart. If it will, i'm gonna say a low #10.
Last year The Order was #9 with >200,000 sales, and i really don't see Street Fighter sell better.

My prediction is < 200K for SFV as well.

The Order actually sold less than 200k, creamsugar used the wrong signal.

Sonys DPS presentation is tonight. Surprised it's not even getting mentioned. Most of the time nothing exciting is announced there but ya never know.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The Order actually sold less than 200k, creamsugar used the wrong signal.

Interesting for #9 last February.

For reference, even the #10 game in March last year (FF Type-0 HD) was > 200k, so there was a higher threshold to chart in March last year. No brainer I know that March would have higher retail sales, but if SFV is going to chart, it has a solid release month without too much competition.

Fire Emblem Awakening did NOT chart in 2013 but it was underprinted. Fates could potentially be #10 this month, could it not?

QaaQer

Exactly.

The game as it is right now is not finding a mass audience at $60. Why is this even surprising given the offering as it is today?

People keep saying "updates are coming"... So what? You're offering a product today at $60 that is incomplete and mass consumers aren't finding that value proposition fair.

Consumers have spoken in the UK, and we will see about the US. But damn, consumers speaking with their wallets and some are chastising them for it?

No company deserves anyone's money. We like to spout that all the time. But when a game comes along that we personally like, we expect that everyone else should support it too? Such a weird thing.

Preorders + first day sales should have been ok even with poor reception.

Maybe Street Fighter isn't as big as some think it is in 2016.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Interesting for #9 last February.

For reference, even the #10 game in March last year (FF Type-0 HD) was > 200k, so there was a higher threshold to chart in March last year. No brainer I know that March would have higher retail sales, but if SFV is going to chart, it has a solid release month without too much competition.

Fire Emblem Awakening did NOT chart in 2013 but it was underprinted. Fates could potentially be #10 this month, could it not?

If NPD combined all SKUs, Fire Emblem Fates could probabily be even in TOP 5.

If not, it could still chart, but not over #10 or #9.

You should not compare it to FE Awakening since:

1) Fates is MUCH bigger. Just look at Japan for example, Fates outsold Awakening first week by almost 150K.
2) Awakening was massive undershipped, indeed it legs were very strong. If Awakening was not undershipped, it's first month would be WAY bigger.

LuuKyK

What's the current PS4 WW? 36m?

Destination PlayStation. Annual retailer event in Scottsdale. Sony's keynote is tonight. Always a couple small interesting bits that float out of it.

Do the press attend this keynote? And what info may come out of it? Updated sales from hardware and software?

Do the press attend this keynote? And what info may come out of it? Updated sales from hardware and software?

No press. Sounds like the sales updates were old news. Nothing will likely come out of it, unless someone posts a picture on Twitter or something.

It's a presentation designed for retailers and publishers to do more Sony stuff and then there's two days of meetings between retailers and pubs. Very bizness.

No press. Sounds like the sales updates were old news. Nothing will likely come out of it, unless someone posts a picture on Twitter or something.

It's a presentation designed for retailers and publishers to do more Sony stuff and then there's two days of meetings between retailers and pubs. Very bizness.
Did Boyes get naked again?

What's the current PS4 WW? 36m?

Destination PlayStation. Annual retailer event in Scottsdale. Sony's keynote is tonight. Always a couple small interesting bits that float out of it.
Tey won't give price or date for VR. But Maybe at least they give a comment about the recently announced Vive and Rift prices so we could have a better idea what's coming up. Or how rhey will plan their boxing and bundling strategy for VR.

RexNovis

Banned

2631851-1126161711-24820.gif

two stars out of five, that's a death sentence.
Such a poor planning. I always wonder how the planning for this launch went. I can't imagine everyone was happy with pumping this game before it was feature complete. Also would be interesting if this was the plan all along or if they wanted to hit the release date at all cost and decided to ship this anorexic version.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Fire Embelm Fates has sold over 300,000 first week in USA. :D
Holy shit, that's awesome.

NPD has two weeks of sales, so, Fates will definitively sell over 350,000, probabily even 400,000. :p

Fire Embelm Fates has sold over 300,000 first week in USA. :D
Holy shit, that's awesome.

NPD has two weeks of sales, so, Fates will definitively sell over 350,000, probabily even 400,000. :p
Yeah I was telling people not to sleep on Fates. Primal is going to launch pretty big too.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yeah I was telling people not to sleep on Fates. Primal is going to launch pretty big too.

Now we just need to see how Primal will do. We will have a better idea next week with the UK / Germany chart.

I believe will do great. I starting to see more marketing from Ubisoft recently. Is also doing very strong on Amazon the lasts days ( even if we should not use it as a safe source for software).

Now we just need to see how Primal will do. We will have a better idea next week with the UK / Germany chart.

I believe will do great. I starting to see more marketing from Ubisoft recently. Is also doing very strong on Amazon the lasts days ( even if we should not use it as a safe source for software).

Believe it or not I think that Primal is also having some stock issues

I'm sure you'll bump this thread even if you're wrong too.
Yea I will...it's 50/50 so I'm not worried about the odds. Even though I'm likely viewed as being on the "hardcore" side, I'm not biased to the point of being blind. Capcom should have done something different here. But if Driveclub can reach a level of success after its disastrous launch, that went on for years I do think pessimistic views are easier to form than optimistic ones. I think word of mouth this gen is stronger than ever, YouTube, Evo, what friends are playing, showing off combo videos with the new characters, every 6 months adding to the story, etc...I think Capcom can certainly turn this into a successful service, but no doubt if I'm wrong, I'll just be disappointed and own it. The game at the very least will have legs in the FGC since most people love it, but I am mostly curious in the fact of day one perception mattering in a product designed for 5+ years. SFV is just an interest case study in the industry for me.

RexNovis

Banned
65/35 PS4.

I was thinking around 60:40 myself.

Also added The Division to my post. Reckon that might be around 55:45 (console only split) in favor of XB1. Maybe 60:40 with bundles included.

I also think MLB The Show will chart in the top 3 for the month.

65/35 PS4.

I was thinking of a more balanced divide. Hmm..What was the split on the previous entries? Do we have that information?
Also, Ouch! at Street Fighter 5. I certainly hope that the game will have legs as long as the Nile; despite the legitimate criticism, the title is said to have great mechanics -expected-.

Top Bottom