• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For July 2016

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sorry, forgot this was today.

Overall:

July retail game sales are down 14% year over year.

Hardware was down 30% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were down 5% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales were down 12% year over year.

Software:

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Overwatch *
  3. Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  4. Monster Hunter: Generations **
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  6. Minecraft **
  7. NBA 2K16
  8. Doom 2016 **
  9. Destiny: The Taken King
  10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  • *No Battle.net sales
    **No digital sales
Notes:
- “The best-selling new release for the month was Monster Hunter: Generations for the 3DS; but that sold 52 percent fewer dollars than last July’s new game, Rory Mcllory PGA Tour, which released for the PS4 and Xbox One,” said Naji.
- “The lack of strong new releases for the month resulted in a poorer comparison year-on-year, and the top 10 games for July 2016 generated 21 percent fewer dollar sales than they did last year.”

Hardware:

3DS: #1 platform
XB1: #1 console platform

Notes:
- C-C-C-Combo Breaker
- “The average price of the Xbox One fell by 30 percent compared to July’15; this helped the platform become the best-selling [current-generation] console in terms of units sold for the month,” said Naji.
- “Declines in the average price for the 2DS by 33 percent resulted in a five-fold increase in unit sales for the 2DS to 78K units,” explained Naji. “The 3DS also saw an increase in unit sales of 18 percent, making the combined 2DS and 3DS platforms the best-selling hardware for July 2016 based on units.”
- “After 33 months since the launches of the PS4 and the Xbox One, the combined cumulative hardware sales for these two consoles exceed the sales of their predecessors by 41 percent at the same point of their lifecycles”

Other Info:

I'll echo what I said in the other thread

1. Overwatch is holding amazingly

2. It's interesting since they've added digital Destiny has been showing up on the charts. Not too surprising considering its an online only game but it appears Destiny has been performing very well digitally for quite a long time

Woah, what's Siege doing at no 10? I have no idea if that's even good or not
Easily best mp this gen. Not even close

More than good it's fantastic. Hope they keep all maps and a single player for the sequel

So ms didn't really win,

I guess Pokemon had effects on 3DS, number one and doing good in Japan too.

Wow. Honestly I remember not feeling the beta for R6S (and I was honestly in the camp bummed about no campaign) but seems like it's holding on strong. Maybe I'll grab it on sale.

The best-selling new release for the month was Monster Hunter: Generations for the 3DS; but that sold 52 percent fewer dollars than last July’s new game, Rory Mcllory PGA Tour

lol so much for those celebrations

120v

normally i'd be all kinds of wtf but on the eve of new hardware rolling out it's not too surprising.

GTAV though, goddam

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the sooner NPD can get digital sales data from all the major e-stores and publishers, the better. I imagine sales of games like Minecraft, Doom, and Overwatch are heavily shaped by digital sales.

On Demand

Banned
Don't see what's so shocking about the charts. These aren't unit sales.

I don't get what this is suppose to tell people.

Welfare

Code:
Xbox One 171,100

MoM Drop = 19.3%

YoY Drop = 8.9%

Weekly average

Xbox One June: 211,900 / 5 = 42,380
Xbox One July: 171,100 / 4 = 42,775

Rise = 0.9%

Code:
PS4 161,200

MoM Drop = 31.3%

YoY Drop = 25.7%

Weekly average

PS4 June: 234,500 / 5 = 46,900
PS4 July: 161,200 / 4 = 40,300

Drop = 14.1%

Code:
Wii U 24,900 

MoM Rise = 28%

YoY drop = 45.7%

Weekly average

Wii U June: 34,600 / 5 = 6,920
Wii U July: 24,900  / 4 = 6,225

Drop = 10%

Nintendo wins. :)
As they always do.

AVQ3Wos.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS4 lost two months in a row. Looks like the neo and Scorpio announcements hurt the ps4 sales lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Those drops are brutal and I'm not seeing how PS Neo is going to do anything to turn things around long-term.

fernoca

Yeah it's always there, but how does everyone and their grandma not own a copy already lol. I wonder where it would be with digital sales included.
Wii U version is in it's second month and was the #6 game in the individual charts.

From Nintendo said:
Individual SKUs (by sales)

01. Monster Hunter Generations
02. ???
03. ???
04. ???
05. ???
06. Minecraft: Wii U Edition
07. ???
08. Pokémon Omega Ruby
09. ???
10. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
11. Kirby: Planet Robobot
12. ???
13. ???
14. ???
15. ???
16. Pokémon X
17. ???
18. ???
19. ???
20. ???
21. ???
22. Pokémon Y
Everything in ??? is from non-Nintendo hardware.

Hardware being down YoY every month can't be good, or is it not as bad as it sounds?
PS4 hasn't been down every month. I also think PS4 is doing fine WW.

The upgrades will obviously help push sales but I don't think current sales are to the point where they need a major boost. Well, at least not for the PS4 anyway.

Bruno MB

Well, MHG was released at $40, PGA at $60. :p

And don't forget that Monster Hunter Generation digital sales aren't included, what a pointless comparison. In fact, if we were to compare packaged units sales, Monster Hunter Generation would outperform Rory Mcllroy PGA Tour.

Top Bottom