• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

Square2015

Quick random questions, Do we have any PS3/360/Wii LTD Sales numbers for the US, then for the world?

Also, do we have sales figures for the best three selling games per console this gen?

US LTDs [NPD]:

PS3 24.2m
X360 39.2m
Wii 41.1m

Japan LTDs [famitsu]:
PS3 9,255,934
X360 1,600,251
Wii 12,711,172

Sorry I don't have PAL nos.

US LTDs:

PS3 24.2m
X360 39.2m
Wii 41.1m
Crazy to think that the home console market grew by so much this past generation while neither market leading console outsold the prior market leader. Around 80 million units last gen and 104 million this gen and on market leaders 51 million PS2's versus the 41 and 39 for Wii/360.

Though I can't remember if that 51 million for the PS2 was sold or shipped.

I'm sure someone can help me out with that.

Square2015

Crazy to think that the home console market grew by so much this past generation while neither market leading console outsold the prior market leader. Around 80 million units last gen and 104 million this gen and on market leaders 51 million PS2's versus the 41 and 39 for Wii/360.

Right.

It's shipped; PS2 sold around 46m.

jwhit28

I would guess that the Wii acted as a great gateway and many people jumped straight from Wii to 360 or PS3.

Square2015

Thanks.

Crazy to think neither Wii nor 360 are going to outsell the PS2 and the home console market still expanded by around 30 million units. Definitely helped that there was no irrelevant console this generation.
Yes it also helped that a significant portion of 360 sales are double and triple purchases, this may apply to PS3 as well, while Wii sales are single purchases (did anyone ever have to buy more than one?)

Cornbread78

Yes it also helped that a significant portion of 360 sales are double and triple purchases, this may apply to PS3 as well, while Wii sales are single purchases (did anyone ever have to buy more than one?)

actually, I went through 3 initiallt bevause of bad disk drives. Nintendo was great replacing them though..

I went through two of them, but wasn't charged for the replacements. Well... they charged me time because I didn't have a backup of my game saves, Disc drive issues on mine as well. Had a lot of trouble reading dual layer DVD's.

And yet S-E greenlighted the third XIII game... That company is so badly run that it's not even funny.

The second game was easy to greenlight, got to use all those unused assetts from FFXIII. I find it really hard to believe that there were enough assetts left over from FFXIII to make the third game's development justifiable.

NeonZ

I had to buy two extra ones. The disc reader of the Wii in the first few years was really bad.

The second game was easy to greenlight, got to use all those unused assetts from FFXIII. I find it really hard to believe that there were enough assetts left over from FFXIII to make the third game's development justifiable.

Yeah. I agree that XIII-2 was actually rather smart decision. Original XIII sold well so they thought that XIII-2 would do the same not to mention that they could reuse assets from the original. After XIII-2 bombed though I really don't know how they justified the development of Lightning returns. It will have hard time to break million sold barrier worldwide and at the same time it weakens the brand. Well maybe it will make couple of bucks. Dunno.

US LTDs [NPD]:

PS3 24.2m
X360 39.2m
Wii 41.1m

Sorry I don't have PAL nos.
Wow, 360 will probably top Wii by the time this year is up in the US. And to think many of us thought this would never happen a few years back (I know I did). It baffles me as to why Nintendo just leaves their consoles to die for the last 1-2 years. This is how you lose customers each generation.

Wow, 360 will probably top Wii by the time this year is up in the US. And to think many of us thought this would never happen a few years back (I know I did). It baffles me as to why Nintendo just leaves their consoles to die for the last 1-2 years. This is how you lose customers each generation.

Well PS3 is not probably that far away from Wii in Europe either. It looks like that Japan will be actually only place where Wii finishes first lol. Every region will have different top selling console. It has been weird generation....

StevieP

Banned

The Wii clearly wasn't geared for an 8 year generation. It was a more standard length product (ie around 5 years). Not that its follow-up is doing anything good for the company, but that was the plan. The reason the generation went as long as it did was because of the massive, unending trails of red ink that started it by the companies that went balls-out on tech.

I think the Wii could have reached 120 million at least if nintendo hadn't abandoned it. The Wii didn't fall off because of generational fatigue. It fell off because no one was releasing a thing for it

I've some doubts if market really have grown all that much.
It's more like Nintendo created whole alternative market that didn't have much connection to the x360/ps3 world at all. And now that market didn't return for Wii U.

FZZ

Banned
I think the Wii could have reached 120 million at least if nintendo hadn't abandoned it. The Wii didn't fall off because of generational fatigue. It fell off because no one was releasing a thing for it

Yup, after 2010 they completely abandoned the console, Skyward Sword was just a bone they threw to Wii owners by delaying it to the end of 2011.

AniHawk

honestly, whatever they had planned for the vitality sensor should have seen the light of day. they essentially stopped making games for that audience between the release of wii sports resort/wii fit plus, and nintendogs + cats. and even when they came back, they weren't offering new experiences. they still aren't.

Square2015

At this point, the PS2 should have sold pretty much everything its shipped. Isn't it more likely that discrepancy is due to which territories are being counted (i.e., US vs. North America).
Yes, NPD is just US. Canada represents about 10% of American sales.

Also we believe Sony "shipments" are actually amount manufactured, I think we discussed this with sonycowboy years ago and he confirmed this.
In other words Sony's "sales" figures are misleading and probably overinflated.

Yes, NPD is just US. Canada represents about 10% of American sales.

Also we believe Sony "shipments" are actually amount manufactured, I think we discussed this with sonycowboy years ago and he confirmed this.
In other words Sony's "sales" figures are misleading and probably overinflated.
They changed their manner of counting sales a while back.

They used to provide figures for "Production shipments" but now use the standard sold-to-retail/sell-in.

I'm assuming the most recent numbers for PS2 have been updated to reflect that.

Bruno MB

The Wii shipped 15 million units in the 2010-11 FY. That is still great sales. Nintendo were idiots to drop the Wii as fast as they did and honestly with the disaster wiiu is they could have waited.

What they shipped in that year might be very close to what Wii U will sell during its lifetime.

What they shipped in that year might be very close to what Wii U will sell during its lifetime.

That's just hard to even fathom. What's even crazier is that the 16 million units they've shipped since basically abandoning the system will probably bring in more profit than wiiu ever will as a console

The Wii shipped 15 million units in the 2010-11 FY. That is still great sales. Nintendo were idiots to drop the Wii as fast as they did and honestly with the disaster wiiu is they could have waited.

And they didn't completely drop the Wii in 2011. There was still Mario Sports Mix, SS and Kirby (Xenoblade in Europe) but more importantly the games that were carrying the Wii at that point were the Just Dances and Zumba. Sales still dropped by 35% though.

And then sales dropped by 60% the following year again. I doubt you'll see the PS3 see such drastic drops YoY.

That's just hard to even fathom. What's even crazier is that the 16 million units they've shipped since basically abandoning the system will probably bring in more profit than wiiu ever will as a console

Well, they either stopped supporting the Wii or stopped supporting the 3DS. A choice had to be made.

Top Bottom