• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2013 [Up2: 360/3DS Hardware, AC/LM/DK Digital + Retail]

because it's halfway through the year,

retail releases this year (in terms of number per system):

ps3 > 40 > 360 > 30 > 3ds > 20 > wii u > 10 > ps vita > nds > psp

bioshock sold the most across multiple consoles, but the last of us is the best-selling game on a single-platform. wii u's best selling 2013 game doesn't make it to the top 10 on the ps3 or 360, but it almost matches all of the ps vita's 2013 releases.

as far as sales are concerned, it's 360 > ps3 > 2x3ds > 3ds > 5xwiiu > wiiu > vita

No wii games this year?

No, only retail.

As of April 6 2013, it did over 80K digitally.

Got it from this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67433331&postcount=2
I doubt if it did any more at digital front. The game was extremely hard to find in most shops during its launch and hence people might've resorted to digital copy. Regardless, the retail sales alone are pretty damn good. I hope Nintendo continues to make quality FE games and localize them.

among the lowest three, it goes nds > wii > psp

wii had pandora's tower, which did over 20k. not bad for what it was.
I am just curious, do we have LTD number for The Last Story and Xenobalde on Wii?

kswiston

I doubt if it did any more at digital front. The game was extremely hard to find in most shops during its launch and hence people might've resorted to digital copy. Regardless, the retail sales alone are pretty damn good. I hope Nintendo continues to make quality FE games and localize them.

Not everyone buys digital as a last resort if they can't find a physical copy in stores. Some people actually prefer that format. If it was at 80k digital as of April (about 2 months after launch), it could have crawled its way to 100k by now. Especially with the current SMT4/FE promotion.

Splitting the difference and saying FE Awakening is at 325k in the US (not counting the hardware bundle), the game probably ended up with shipments over 1M worldwide. When you factor in Canada and the rest of the Americas (plus US stock that is still in stores), the Pal version would have to be well under 200k to have missed that total.

Striek

Thanks.

Even though I find the game a chore, I am just curious how a critics darling JRPG with seemingly good word-of-mouth do these days. Now I'm a little worried for SMT IV.

SMT IV has a really good cross promotion with FE:A that should do well to sell both games. And >200k for Ni No Kuni is a fantastic result.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Not sure if there's a better thread for this...

Will Nintendo's results be announced early in the coming morning (like just over 12 hours from this post) or do I have the timing wrong? I can never remember.

Not sure if there's a better thread for this...

Will Nintendo's results be announced early in the coming morning (like just over 12 hours from this post) or do I have the timing wrong? I can never remember.

Osaka's trading closes at 3 PM JST, or 6 hours and 45 minutes from now.

We should have a thread up with results by ~3:20 AM EDT.

elohel

really surprised to see this many 3ds titles several months in a row now

seems like all of the promotions they're doing are working for the most part

kinda almost surprised to see animal crossing there but then again for a lot of people thats a system seller

Honestly, I expect next to nothing in the way of news from this NCL earnings report. I think they'd already have cut the price I'd they were going to do it this year, and they've already written off Q1 for Wii U sales, so they may not even downgrade the batshit 9M forecast. Not that U haven't been wrong before.

Sony's Q1 results are a day later, but I don't expect much from that, either.

RayStorm

Let me take the liberty of giving you a refund, given that you're not happy with the quality of the product you paid for.

Edit: Looks like someone else got there first.

While he might not have put it in the most eloquent words, I too have a hard time comprehending that chart. Is there a reason for it being as abbreviated as it is?

Mario007

Honestly, I expect next to nothing in the way of news from this NCL earnings report. I think they'd already have cut the price I'd they were going to do it this year, and they've already written off Q1 for Wii U sales, so they may not even downgrade the batshit 9M forecast. Not that U haven't been wrong before.

Sony's Q1 results are a day later, but I don't expect much from that, either.

Well Nintendo has juicy graphs and estimates for all the consoles sales so that's always interesting. The shipment for Wii U will be pretty interesting to watch.

With Sony it'd be fun to see if they'll finally show the PS3 figure and if it'll be over Xbox360 (seeing that PS2 is no longer produced). Also it will be interesting if Sony as a whole is profitable this quarter.

Yes, shipped.

In Jan-Mar Wii U shipment was 0.39m. Maybe now will be even worse.

It will be worse. Logically they would have shipped zero units this quarter as there is so many unsold consoles in the market but maybe they forced some retailers by gunpoint to take couple of them to avoid complete disaster.

While he might not have put it in the most eloquent words, I too have a hard time comprehending that chart. Is there a reason for it being as abbreviated as it is?

Because it is private data that he is not actually allowed to release. He doesn't want to get himself into trouble so he has to abbreviate the data in some form.

prag16

Banned
Those with NPD numbers like to be mysterious, even though posting more concrete numbers logically should not get them in any more trouble than doing what they so now. I mean... would it? Or do they just turn it into a game for amusement? Lol

Because it is private data that he is not actually allowed to release. He doesn't want to get himself into trouble so he has to abbreviate the data in some form.

How would not abbreviating it make them more likely to get busted? Unless they ARE already being watched and the powers that be let it slide because it's a little cryptic? That doesn't make that much sense. It accomplishes almost the same thing short of releasing full unabridged sales data spreadsheets... meh.

Those with NPD numbers like to be mysterious, even though posting more concrete numbers logically should not get them in any more trouble than doing what they so now. I mean... would it? Or do they just turn it into a game for amusement? Lol

How would not abbreviating it make them more likely to get busted? Unless they ARE already being watched and the powers that be let it slide because it's a little cryptic? That doesn't make that much sense. It accomplishes almost the same thing short of releasing full unabridged sales data spreadsheets... meh.

1) When you consider the nature of NPD data distribution, it's easier to post ranges than hand-copy exact figures.

2) Absolute numbers aren't very important for the good majority of people here.

3) Leakers are just trying to be as careful as possible.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Yes, shipped.

In Jan-Mar Wii U shipment was 0.39m. Maybe now will be even worse.
What do we have to work with?

Let's say Wii U at 1.2mm in the U.S. through the end of June.

What is the Japanese market through there? About 950K?

What do we estimate the rest of the world did? Does 1mm seem fair?

So that would put total Wii U HW through the end of June at around 3.2mm units, on shipments of 3.45mm.

They didn't need to ship any extras to sell through that, but they might have shipped a few more to keep supply up. How much more? 250K?

I'm just musing out loud, but I am curious about shipments in particular.

One bright spot that I fully expect Nintendo to focus on is their digital growth. It will be interesting to see what Animal Crossing and Luigi U did for them.

That's shipped right?

Yeah then they are still probably under 3M sold and don't think they would have reached 4M shipped yet then.

1) Wii U sold ~115k from 2013-04-01 to 2013-07-01 according to media create.

2) IIRC it did similar numbers in the US in the same period.

3) No idea about EU sales but the system sells the worst there, definitely less than 100k I would say.

All in all the Wii U probably sold 250-300k WW to consumers this Q.

Many consoles from the previous shipments are still unsold so the number could be smaller too.

jcm

What do we have to work with?

Let's say Wii U at 1.2mm in the U.S. through the end of June.

What is the Japanese market through there? About 950K?

What do we estimate the rest of the world did? Does 1mm seem fair?

So that would put total Wii U HW through the end of June at around 3.2mm units, on shipments of 3.45mm.

They didn't need to ship any extras to sell through that, but they might have shipped a few more to keep supply up. How much more? 250K?

I'm just musing out loud, but I am curious about shipments in particular.

One bright spot that I fully expect Nintendo to focus on is their digital growth. It will be interesting to see what Animal Crossing and Luigi U did for them.

Do you have any idea how big the channel is for a console, or for a aaa software title?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Do you have any idea how big the channel is for a console, or for a aaa software title?
It this a legitimate question or simply pointing out my ignorance? Because, no, I do not know how big the channel is. I'd like to know more.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Oh, sorry. I am really asking. I have no idea.
K. :)

My view: They sold through, what, 300K in the past quarter? Why put out much more than that to replace it, given what we know will be driving software until October.

If they do decide to ship much more, what does that mean? They are dropping price? Doing bundling to move more systems? Like I said, the hardware shipments and the digital software sales are the things I want to see most.

AniHawk

figured i'd just keep this info here, but so far ltd sales for the super failure bros. are:

wii u: 1.2m
vita: 1.418m

wii u is probably a lot more closer to being correct than the vita. still, the vita might only be off 20k in either direction.

ytd:

wii u: 300k
vita: 162k

Top Bottom