• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Welfare

No doubt we'll continue to see crap posts from a new junior really soon....

Chrono-trigger-but-the-future-refused-to-change-300x225.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
But how? He was a Doctor, and he was a Professional! How can someone with both titles disappoint me so much?!?
Seriously, something must be done on the matter: what's happening in NPD/Prediction threads with "peculiar" Juniors coming up costantly, shitting up threads, costantly in MS's favour it seems...and with the context given by ZhugeEX a few months ago...I feel something malicious is going on. Astro-turfing, indeed. Is there anything that can be done about it?

He was SOOO sure Splatoon wouldn't have had legs too in US, remember?

But how? He was a Doctor, and he was a Professional! How can someone with both titles disappoint me so much?!?
Seriously, something must be done on the matter: what's happening in NPD/Prediction threads with "peculiar" Juniors coming up costantly, shitting up threads, costantly in MS's favour it seems...and with the context given by ZhugeEX a few months ago...I feel something malicious is going on. Astro-turfing, indeed. Is there anything that can be done about it?

Yeah, something fishy is going on here lately.

So damn good seeing Splatoon in the monthly Amazon Top10 charts :)

Busaiku

We should be looking at June npd north of 200k

Basically it means Splatoon is doing well in the US and should easily chart within the NPD top 10 next month.

It's great to see a new IP reach 1 million worldwide during its launch period.
Did Nintendo give a statement for May?
If not, then we can't be sure of the digital breakdown.
Given the presale initiative, I think it's fair to assume that it has a higher digital attach rate than other Wii U games.
Still, with a difference of over 340k vs NPD numbers (which includes the bundle's first days), and a couple more days left on the month, those are indeed pretty safe bets.

RexNovis

Banned
Aw gee, thanks man :)

............I bought Ride to Hell: Redemption with actual money and played it, just to see how bad it truly was. I know it was wrong.

Bish, pls no.

It's a bro-mmitment.

Pro tip brosef multi quote is your friend. You can click the little plus symbol to quote multiple posts in a single reply. Do that to avoid multiposts in the future. It's safer that way ;)

LOL Doctor is banned again? What is this sorcery?

At Sony's investor meeting today computer entertainment division's operate sales increased but so did the spending (weak yen increased BOM of PS4?) so operating profit did decrease. I'm sure new PS4 would help to reduce BOM but now I am a bit skeptical of price drop anytime soon..

Edit: Actually operation sales increased, not income (profit decreased actually).

PS4 will get a price drop this year, no console has gone longer without one, would be handing x1 the US if they don't. Sony has said time and time again growing the userbase is more important then shortterm profit.,

Sorry for the purists, but for me it is part of the entertainment here to see shady juniors do mental amok runs.
Basically it's like Ride to Hell. Awful, stupid, but good for a cheap laugh.

I'm starting to wonder if Tim Dog has unleashed his armies upon us in preparation for the Final Battle.

PS4 will get a price drop this year, no console has gone longer without one, would be handing x1 the US if they don't. Sony has said time and time again growing the userbase is more important then shortterm profit.,

It's entirely possible to grow a userbase while simultaneously ceding marketshare in a single territory.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't see a price cut happening unless its to combat an MS led one, and instead just seeing "value add" bundling instead; larger HDDs, more games, an extra controller, whatever.

Pro tip brosef multi quote is your friend. You can click the little plus symbol to quote multiple posts in a single reply. Do that to avoid multiposts in the future. It's safer that way ;)

.... Please tell me it was $0.99 at the most

Also triple posting is bad, Mkay?

Ah, word all the way up, my friends. Still learning the ropes, thanks for the pointer. There is much I have yet to experience.

In regards to Ride to Hell, I made it an hour before I decided to drink every time it sucked. Well.....

It's entirely possible to grow a userbase while simultaneously ceding marketshare in a single territory.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't see a price cut happening unless its to combat an MS led one, and instead just seeing "value add" bundling instead; larger HDDs, more games, an extra controller, whatever.

I disagree, I think there will be one this year, we shall see.

sörine

Banned
Wii went much longer without one. Wii U also effectively hasn't price dropped yet.

Welfare

sörine;169622246 said:
Wii went much longer without one. Wii U also effectively hasn't price dropped yet.

Wii was also selling out consistently. Nintendo didn't need a price drop for 2 years, and it launched at $249.

Wii U is just dumb.

LOL Doctor is banned again? What is this sorcery?

I'm inclined to agree. Not just to combat the Halo 5 juggernaut, but also to keep sales momentum going. A $350 1TB sku and a $299 vanilla sku would be pretty enticing. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but a price cut this holiday would line up historically with the PS2/3 along the same timeframe, yes? Or are we past that point already?

Welfare

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but a price cut this holiday would line up historically with the PS2/3 along the same timeframe, yes? Or are we past that point already?

PS2 launched in October 2000 and had a price cut in May 2002.

Using that time frame, the PS4 should have gotten a price cut in April.

PS2 launched in October 2000 and had a price cut in May 2002.

Using that time frame, the PS4 should have gotten a price cut in April.

Sony wont price cut until their bigs games are releasing, so i expect next year early will be the time for price cut which matches Project morpheus launch too. Meanwhile sony will do heavy bundles.

Growing the user base to Sony is definitely more than just short term profits and "winning" against Microsoft, but the vast majority of consumers are only going to buy one machine. Every sale that Microsoft gets is a sale that Sony doesn't. In that sense, I think it would be in Sony's best interest this holiday to give consumers one less reason to choose Xbox over Playstation. Maybe that's a price cut, maybe that's some aggressive bundling, who knows, but I find it unlikely that they'll take the same approach as they did last year. Historical data on price cuts is less relevant than the current market situation.

Ah, word all the way up, my friends. Still learning the ropes, thanks for the pointer. There is much I have yet to experience.

In regards to Ride to Hell, I made it an hour before I decided to drink every time it sucked. Well.....

"Don't cry for me. I'm already dead."

ZhugeEX

Banned
The reason the Wii U hasn't had a price cut is because the console has recently started to turn a profit and because if they drop the price the sales wouldn't increase enough for it to be worth it and create the same amount of profit.

So the Wii U is better staying at its current price for now. I do see a price cut happening eventually of course. But I dont see it being a significant one.

Sony have decided on a new strategy with PS4 and are aiming to make high margin on both hardware and software, unlike the PS2 gen where they sacrificed hardware margin in favour of a being the cumulative sales leader + making money back on software. That was a risky strategy but worked well for them.

This gen I think Sony will drop the price when they want to drop the price based on internal factors over external factors. They are able to remain the cumulative sales leader without needing to sacrafice margin on hardware.

That being said, I do envision Sony dropping the price of the console this fall in order to drive further adoption among different market segments and in order to achieve sales targets. I'm not confident enough to say whether this will be a significant price drop or just some sort of holiday bundle that is lower than the current RRP, but I do see something happening.

Sonys forecast for this FY for gaming division:

16 million shipped for PS4 (last FY they shipped 14.8 million)
20 billion yen profit (last FY they had 48 billion profit)

There will be absolutely price cut this year. I will eat my hat if there isn't.

Agree, I am amazed people think there won't be..ps4 is down YOY, it's going into it's third holiday. I think it i a given it will get a price cut, if not then I will eat crow. How does sony expect to be up YOY without a price drop?

Ok, I'm fairly new to this and I'm having trouble understanding this.

Why is Sony's forecast for profit this year so much smaller of a margin than last year? Are they expecting significantly lower software sales?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Agree, I am amazed people think there won't be..ps4 is down YOY, it's going into it's third holiday. I think it i a given it will get a price cut, if not then I will eat crow. How does sony expect to be up YOY without a price drop?

To be fair it has happened in the past and can happen again. Whilst price is a huge factor, marketing can also play a huge role.

I do agree though that in order to meet sales targets this year we will need to see Sony do something on price either by adding additional value or dropping the actual RRP itself.

Also, just remember that the forecast Sony set is for the fiscal year. We are still in the first quarter so its hard to draw conclusions at this point as to how it's performing against that target.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Price drop...Higher sales and lower profit = price drop.
Thats just one reasons of many why the profit could be down next year.

It really could be any number of reasons such as increased investment in R&D due to Morpheus, or it could be because of exchange rates, or because of a low performing segment of the business.

But yes, the reason you mentioned above is very likely as well.

gtj1092

Verendus said Sony will do price cut this year, so the question is whether it's $50 or $100.

I thought I was the only one who remembered this whenever these price cut debates come up. My bet is still September and MGS5 launch. Have the priced the bundle like they did with AK?

Javin98

Banned
Leave early in the morning, get back home at night and I see a junior who challenged everyone got banned. I'm feeling deja vu.

Growing the user base to Sony is definitely more than just short term profits and "winning" against Microsoft, but the vast majority of consumers are only going to buy one machine. Every sale that Microsoft gets is a sale that Sony doesn't. In that sense, I think it would be in Sony's best interest this holiday to give consumers one less reason to choose Xbox over Playstation. Maybe that's a price cut, maybe that's some aggressive bundling, who knows, but I find it unlikely that they'll take the same approach as they did last year. Historical data on price cuts is less relevant than the current market situation.

"Don't cry for me. I'm already dead."

That's a pretty accurate depiction of the next morning. It's just missing the tissues, to wipe away my salty tears of self-loathing.

Elandyll

Banned

Given lack of growth and FY15 forecast, price drop is all but a certainty imo, but we'll see :)

Either during Gamescom or at PGS is my guess.

Top Bottom