• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD US September 2021 Released

Prepare for Switch setting October records. It's kind of amusing the shiny new hardware has only managed one month against Nintendo's tiny behemoth in terms of unit sales.
You do realize the reason is because you can't find a PS5 or Series X, right? Meanwhile, I just walked into a store and picked up one of dozens of Switch OLEDs on launch day without a pre-order.

They're all doing great, but if PS5 supply wasn't severely limited, it would be winning easily every month. Series X would be ahead too. You just can NOT find either.

Topher

Gold Member
Prepare for Switch setting October records. It's kind of amusing the shiny new hardware has only managed one month against Nintendo's tiny behemoth in terms of unit sales.

Not really. Switch has a full supply chain going while Xbox and PlayStation do not. It was the same situation after Switch launched. It was outsold consistently despite massive demand. It takes time for new consoles to get moving 100%. The same thing will happen here with the OLED Switch. It will be outsold by non-OLED Switch for months to come simply because of the supply.

Last edited:

Deerock71

You do realize the reason is because you can't find a PS5 or Series X, right? Meanwhile, I just walked into a store and picked up one of dozens of Switch OLEDs on launch day without a pre-order.

They're all doing great, but if PS5 supply wasn't severely limited, it would be winning easily every month. Series X would be ahead too. You just can NOT find either.
Meanwhile, Nintendo set a record that will likely sit on top of the charts forever. And they haven't even done a price cut or a bundle here in the States. I'd say there are tremors on Mt. PS2.

kyliethicc

Congratulations to my fellow shareholders!
Birthday Party Dancing GIF by Shay Mitchell

Not really. Switch has a full supply chain going while Xbox and PlayStation do not. It was the same situation after Switch launched. It was outsold consistently despite massive demand. It takes time for new consoles to get moving 100%. The same thing will happen here with the OLED Switch. It will be outsold by non-OLED Switch for months to come simply because of the supply.
I don’t think so. The Switch OLED is not hard to find. I've seen it on shelves everywhere I've been.

Meanwhile, I've still never seen a PS5 or Series X on a store shelf.

That's not to say OLED isn't in demand, but it clearly does not have the same supply issues.

Meanwhile, Nintendo set a record that will likely sit on top of the charts forever. And they haven't even done a price cut or a bundle here in the States. I'd say there are tremors on Mt. PS2.
It depends how long Nintendo wants to hold back next generation for their consoles. It's already been nearly 5 years.

Topher

Gold Member
I don’t think so. The Switch OLED is not hard to find. I've seen it on shelves everywhere I've been.

Meanwhile, I've still never seen a PS5 or Series X on a store shelf.

That's not to say OLED isn't in demand, but it clearly does not have the same supply issues.

Only place I'm seeing them online is on eBay. But you may be right long term since displays are not causing shortages like chips are.

Deerock71

Only place I'm seeing them online is on eBay. But you may be right long term since displays are not causing shortages like chips are.
^ That is exactly why I think Nintendo didn't change the guts of the Switch; they can see exactly the struggles Sony and Microsoft are having.

I couldn't find a preorder anywhere online. Which is why I was shocked when I discovered you can just walk into a retail store and just pick one up.

Sony and Microsoft seem to be almost only selling theirs online.

Topher

Gold Member
I couldn't find a preorder anywhere online. Which is why I was shocked when I discovered you can just walk into a retail store and just pick one up.

Certainly cannot walk into a retail store and pick one up in my area. All the big retail stores show local stock and there just isn't any.

- PS5 was the best selling console in September in both units & dollars
- PS5 is the best selling console of 2021 in dollars

mark-cerny-ps5.gif

A couple things I'm surprised at:

Tales did so well. I've heard good things, I just didn't realize it was so popular. I need to pick it up soon and try it out.
RE Village sold so well. Once again, I've heard great things but didn't realized RE was such a big seller. Also, need to pick it up.

[Sigma]

PS5 winning NPD for the month made sense. My hotstock app felt like it was going off every 30 minutes on week days for like most of the month(September) for PS5 lol. Felt like this was the most shipment it has ever got all year. Ghost and Spidey still in the top 10. Good seeing Tales there in the top 5 at least for that month. Mario Kart 8 and Minecraft forever selling lol.

Last edited:

Markio128

I normally pick up all new consoles, but I couldn’t justify picking up the Switch Oled. I may trade in my OG Switch once BOTW2 is released, if I can be arsed.

yazenov

PS5 selling the most in both Dollar and Units is quite an achievement. Its a premium priced product that theoretically shouldn't outsell its cheaper competition in terms of units.

Great to see Tales of Arise selling charting at 4th. Well deserved.

Last edited:
Well...recently I have not heard much. I know about their silly mobile cash-ins. No threat to their main games.
I dont know what youre talking about. Nintendo has all their big franchises on mobile, specially tailored too. Makes PlayStation look like the biggest mobile loser in the industry. It’s free money. And Playstation is the only one without a hand on the pie.

Even Sony Music puts PlayStation to shame.

Man, the top 10 software for xbox looks bleak as hell. Full of sports and call of duty titles. The overall chart looks a lot better though atleast with games like mario, spider-man and resident evil.

Its one extra CoD game in comparison to the sony one.

Yeah I know but the PS chart has deathloop, ghost of tsushima and spider-man on it. That's 3 substantial games right there. Mixes things up nicely so the chart ain't stuffed with madden and call of duty. Also there's resident evil in the overall chart with PlayStation doing most of the lifting.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned

I don't think it's wise to use your personal anecdote of one place to determine the nationwide Switch OLED stock situation.

Elios83

Not surprising, PS5 supply is getting better although you still can't buy one whenever you want. Also Sony has been sending lots of units in the US and UK.
In August, a 4 weeks months, PS5 sold about 300k units according to leaks/calculations.
September was huge, probably 500k+ which btw is typical for PlayStation. PS4 in September 2014 was huge and Sony has been tracking the same kind of performance.

Boss Mog

Great for Tales of Arise. Hopefully its success will persuade Bamco to continue to invest more into the franchise.

Woopah

The industry is in such a healthy place right now:

• Arise has the biggest ever Tales launch
  • True Colours has the biggest ever Life is Strange launch
  • Get it Together has the biggest Warioware launch for nearly 15 years (without digital)
  • Strong debut for Deathloop as a new IP
  • The only game that might have underperformed is Lost Judgement
  • The only other negative I can see is that BOTW dropped out of the top 20 after a long long run

Not surprising, PS5 supply is getting better although you still can't buy one whenever you want. Also Sony has been sending lots of units in the US and UK.
In August, a 4 weeks months, PS5 sold about 300k units according to leaks/calculations.
September was huge, probably 500k+ which btw is typical for PlayStation. PS4 in September 2014 was huge and Sony has been tracking the same kind of performance.

Its tricky to tell, basically there are three options

1. Switch sales stayed the saem but PS5 sales jumped due to big increase in supply
2. PS5 sale sstayed the same but Switch sales dropped due to incoming OLED model
3. A combination of the two

Is GTAV finally dead???
Hasn't been appearing in the charts ever since Take Two stopped sharing digital

Marty-McFly

Banned
If Sony has enough supply for PS5 it probably should have won every NPD since launch.

That is how I see it.
Switch won a lot of early NPD's and was limited by supply.

The reason I make the comparison is because I want to see what PS5's true selling potential is.

Keep in mind that PS4's best year was 20 million and Switch's was 28.8 and Nintendo looks to put up similar numbers this year. The 33 months straight was an NPD record. I think PS5 can do better than PS4 because the market is expanding and Covid has risen all ships.

The PS5 and Switch will fluctuate as best selling platform for a while until PS5 eventually sells more regularly in NA on account of the Switch being old. This happened to the PS4 against the Switch.

Ultimately, we'll see which platform sells better lifetime. It will be hard to surpass the hellish pace the Switch is putting up though. Especially going into beast mode the past couple years.

Last edited:

SZips

I had no idea that the Switch was the top seller for so many months. That's super damn impressive. I fully expect it'll be back on top next month with the OLED having just come out and all.

Deerock71

If Sony has enough supply for PS5 it probably should have won every NPD since launch.

That is how I see it.
Yup. Millions walked in looking for a PS5 and walked out with a Switch instead, because, you know, they're so comparable in size and power. You can forgive the masses for mistaking a Switch for a PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
Yup. Millions walked in looking for a PS5 and walked out with a Switch instead, because, you know, they're so comparable in size and power. You can forgive the masses for mistaking a Switch for a PS5.
What that nonsense has to do with what I said lol

Unknown?

Good results for PlayStation, hope they keep this momentum and stay hungry.... I'd like to see higher sales still in the US.

Nintendo doing very well to keep sales so consistent for so long. Masterful use of their 1st party exclusives to keep people interested and buying..... you'll notice they are firmly concentrated on adding value and features to Switch along with entries in their most famous and long running franchises..... no distractions like PC, no real mobile talk.

Jim Ryan needs to go to school and the teacher is Nintendo.
Nah it's doing so well because PC gamers are getting PS5s to play the sequels to Sony games.

ethomaz

Banned
Switch won a lot of early NPD's and was limited by supply.

The reason I make the comparison is because I want to see what PS5's true selling potential is.

Keep in mind that PS4's best year was 20 million and Switch's was 28.8 and Nintendo looks to put up similar numbers this year. The 33 months straight was an NPD record. I think PS5 can do better than PS4 because the market is expanding and Covid has risen all ships.

The PS5 and Switch will fluctuate as best selling platform for a while until PS5 eventually sells more regularly in NA on account of the Switch being old. This happened to the PS4 against the Switch.

Ultimately, we'll see which platform sells better lifetime. It will be hard to surpass the hellish pace the Switch is putting up though. Especially going into beast mode the past couple years.
NPDs after PS5 launch shows that Switch didn’t sell that much more than PS5… PS5 even won most in dolar sales.

That is why I believe with stock PS5 should win them.

But that is NPD… Switch sales are stronger in others places like Japan that can give a edge in terms of overall WW sales and that is why I did not said the same about financial WW sales.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Diablo II probably did a lot less than the original, when it sold a million+ in the first week. And that was with only 1 platform and 1 or 2 editions.

It'll be interesting to see how well Blizzard games perform going forward. If they ever actually release anything.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They can't seem to sell any of these consoles fast enough. Grats to Sony, they put in work last gen and are seeing the fruits of their labor.

Marty-McFly

Banned
NPDs after PS5 launch shows that Switch didn’t sell that much more than PS5… PS5 even won most in dolar sales.

That is why I believe with stock PS5 should win them.

But that is NPD… Switch sales are stronger in others places like Japan that can give a edge in terms of overall WW sales and that is why I did not said the same about financial WW sales.
Demand won't stay this way forever though. It's all cyclic. I'm sure when Sony can produce more PS5's they should win several months but then the holiday season usually heavily skews Nintendo, or if Nintendo drops another Animal Crossing type of game. Both companies look see tremendous success moving forward. Actually, I'll even include Xbox in that as well. Everyone is doing really well right now. It will be interesting to see where all the chips fall once the Covid effect is no more.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Summary

- PS5 was the best selling console in September in both units & dollars
- PS5 is the best selling console of 2021 in dollars
- Switch is the best selling console of 2021 in units

- Madden (#1), FIFA (#2), and NBA (#3) are the best selling games of September, overall, and on both PlayStation and Xbox
- Tales of Arise opens at #4 overall, Diablo II at #5, and Deathloop at #6 overall sales in September
- Mario Kart 8 was the best selling game of September on Switch

- Call of Duty Cold War is still the best selling game of both 2021 and the last 12 months
- CoD Cold War (#1), Madden (#2), and MLB (#3) are the best selling games of 2021
- CoD Cold War (#1), Assassin's Creed (#2), and Miles Morales (#3) are the best selling games of the last 12 months

Remember, these charts and numbers are for US sales only, and the game charts don't include some digital sales (like Nintendo.)

Strong year for Switch and PS5, let’s see now that the OLED model is out if they do not resume the climb.

Top Bottom