• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD US September 2021 Released

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Great numbers. Keep production increasing. It'd be nice if supply could meet demand before 2 years after the PS5 launched.
Sure, but you make time fliers faster… it has not even been a full years since it launched, starting to say its second year is close is true technically but also a bit misleading :p. PS5 was launched November 2020, it is October 2021 :p.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There's a $199 Switch, you know.
The Switch Lite, I do know. Huge chunk of sales is the regular switch then again you will say PS5 DE does not sell… still think it sells more than you think… anyways… fine, it’s higher price helps with dollar sales wins, not sure we are taking down PS5 sales story much with this footnote though ;).

ethomaz

Banned
Demand won't stay this way forever though. It's all cyclic. I'm sure when Sony can produce more PS5's they should win several months but then the holiday season usually heavily skews Nintendo, or if Nintendo drops another Animal Crossing type of game. Both companies look see tremendous success moving forward. Actually, I'll even include Xbox in that as well. Everyone is doing really well right now. It will be interesting to see where all the chips fall once the Covid effect is no more.
I expected November and December to be in Nintendo hands even with enough supply for PS5.

Last edited:
The Switch Lite, I do know. Huge chunk of sales is the regular switch then again you will say PS5 DE does not sell… still think it sells more than you think… anyways… fine, it’s higher price helps with dollar sales wins, not sure we are taking down PS5 sales story much with this footnote though ;).
Switch Lite and PS5DE sell roughly the same I think. My point is that in this case, dollar sales don't tell us much in terms of units sold. Too high of a price discrepancy. PS5 winning September in units is much more significant.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Jim Ryan needs to go to school and the teacher is Nintendo.

5qz4lp.jpg

Ozriel

M$FT

Why are you being so sensitive? His response was correct and appropriate, and I don't see it as 'taking down the PS5 sales story'.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Nintendo couldn't hold on to get past September. If they had, the Switch likely would have been the best selling console through at least December. Good run, Nintendo!
Switch will take the rest of the year because of OLED combined with their AA line up of Metroid, Mario Party Best of, SMT V, Advance Wars and Pokemon remakes. 2023 is going to be difficult for PlayStation to take many months on because Switch has Pokemon Arceus, 3D Kirby, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Mario Rabbids II and Breath of the Wild II all coming next year. There is also a rumoured new Donkey Kong (made by the Odyssey developers) and Xenoblade 3 for next year aswell as the potential for the DLSS Switch.

2023 is basically 2017 part II for Switch and even with GT7, Horizon II and God of War Ragnorok I can’t see Sony taking more than a third of the NPD months over Switch / Switch 4K next year.

Top Bottom