• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSAIDs Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I have some questions about NSAIDs. I’ll be looking up videos in the next few days but I’m sure not everything will be covered in the videos and much information in which I am seeking will not be presented so here are some questions to anyone who might know

-What % of inflammation do NSAIDs reduce in the body?
-Do NSAIDs cause a cascade of little problems since we are essentially disrupting and impeding the body’s natural inflammatory response for a period of time?
-Which hormone(s) do these drugs suppress?
-When do NSAIDs become potentially harmful? From the very first dosage? After five days of use? A week? Several weeks?
-What is the hierarch of NSAIDs in terms of power? Which is the weakest, which is middle potency or strength and which is the strongest NSAID?
-Does curcumin and pepper really have the same effectiveness as 1,000 mg of Ibuprofen?
-Can NSAIDs kill or cause any permanent damage in any way; have there been any cases that demonstrate such dangers once taken?
-Which organs are compromised with the use of NSAIDs and exactly how much are they affected? Scientists never disclose these details in depth as they probably should on the bottle or with a manual that should come with the drugs themselves

I decided to open up a discussion all directed towards NSAIDs bc I don’t know much about them at all but feel like they’re really important to have a decent understanding of and I think that people should discuss them a bit more often. I personally always avoided them throughout life unless I was directed by multiple doctors to take during a chronic injury or something and only recently this year have I felt the need to use them on a weekly basis, due to dealing with a lot of injuries with higher pain levels than I’m accustomed to

Like right now for instance, I tweaked something this morning in a muscle in my neck by accident and have been experiencing pain in the area all day. There is pain and discomfort in two areas at this moment, but I haven’t taken any Advil to relieve it. Why? Because I am questioning the overall process of these drugs. Yes, the pain will be significantly reduced if I take them, and that will lead to a more pleasant period while my body is under the influence of such drugs as NSAIDs. But am I missing something? Is it really as simple as taking a drug and the problem is significantly reduced? Or am I merely fooling my brain that I am not in pain? What if I’m actually exacerbating the damage and pain without my knowing while I have taken the NSAID and the body merely cannot feel this furthering of the damage. Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of the pill in the first place, if we are adding to the damage and pain the body is being inflicted of in the case of something like a muscular injury? I couldn’t move my neck well before the pill, so why does taking a pill and waiting 20-40 minutes all of a sudden make it feel okay move my neck?

What are your thoughts about NSAIDs such as Advil, Tylenol, Ibuprophin, Morphine, etc. ?

What are your experiences with NSAIDs if you can share one or some of them? And what do you know about these drugs? What are your questions as well, when it comes to NSAIDs like Advil, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and other such examples of an NSAID?

How many total studies have been conducted on these class of drugs? There are so many questions to ask about these common drugs that people never have the time to ask or simply just never think to ask. But aren’t these drugs important enough and used often enough to warrant a proper discussion? Health classes in schools just tell you what they are, you memorize the term NSAID at best and that’s that. Why are we not more knowledgable about NSAIDs and why does this subject seem like it’s either swept under the rug or completely ignored? Shouldn’t people better understand physical pain and the synthetic remedy we reach for when it arises?

What are your thoughts on NSAIDs? Are they the ideal choice to reach for when trying to deal with pain that interferes with everyday / daily activities? If not, what is a better option in your opinion?

Cutty Flam

Banned

Excellent start with this article. And not surprisingly, not a single person irl has ever relayed even 1/20th of this information while explaining “what NSAIDs do” for you when you take them. I’ll cliff notes the article at some point and edit this post

intbal

Yeah, they're probably terrible.
But I've been taking 400mg Ibuprofen almost daily for 8 years. I'm not currently dead.

I got jack shit help from standardized Curcumin. That stuff only works in a test tube.

Mistake

It is my understanding that operating with inflammation is worse for you in some cases, like your joints. As long as you don’t take these medicines with alcohol or for an extended period of time, you’ll be fine. I’ve heard it’s actually harder on your stomach than your liver. Anyway, here’s a guy who knows more than I do

Cutty Flam

Banned
Yeah, they're probably terrible.
But I've been taking 400mg Ibuprofen almost daily for 8 years. I'm not currently dead.

I got jack shit help from standardized Curcumin. That stuff only works in a test tube.
Look into CDB, it works and seems to be extremely powerful - as good as 800mg - 1000mg of Advil. Idk how CBD works though, should have titled this thread NSAIDs and Anti-inflammatory Discussion tbh…I’ll have to look into all options as time goes on. Read the article above, because the issues that can happen by taking NSAIDs are alarming and definitely something everyone should be aware of

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Why are we not more knowledgable about NSAIDs and why does this subject seem like it’s either swept under the rug or completely ignored? Shouldn’t people better understand physical pain and the synthetic remedy we reach for when it arises?
the problem is we just don't understand how they work. I remember being stunned in pharmacology when I learned that the mechanism of action for both Tylenol and ibuprofen is pretty much "unknown"

we just know they have anti inflammatory properties and that they are toxic to your liver and kidney with chronic use. if you are taking them every day you need to figure something else out, because you are just masking an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. I've had patients go into irreversible organ failure from popping them every day thinking they are harmless

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
the problem is we just don't understand how they work. I remember being stunned in pharmacology when I learned that the mechanism of action for both Tylenol and ibuprofen is pretty much "unknown"

we just know they have anti inflammatory properties and that they are toxic to your liver and kidney with chronic use. if you are taking them every day you need to figure something else out, because you are just masking an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. I've had patients go into irreversible organ failure from popping them every day thinking they are harmless
Yea I was shocked to find that out. I thought by now the scientists would have figured it all out by now, but there are still many unknowns. Yet doctors, nurses, parents all act like these drugs aren’t worth explaining - “just take it” they all say…

But nobody is willing to pull you to the side and educate you saying something like, “Taking this Ibuprofen carries some notable risks you need to know about. Risks XYZ etc. are possible short term and risks XYZ have been noted to occur with long term use of the drugs.” Nobody ever tells anyone the big picture with these things. They’re accepted. As if they’re some kind of magical pill that eliminates pain with zero consequences. But the truth is, these drugs are so complex that not even the world’s best scientists have an adequate understanding of how NSAIDs work, nor do they fully understand their potential to cause damage, sometimes even serious damage, to its users

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yea I was shocked to find that out. I thought by now the scientists would have figured it all out by now, but there are still many unknowns. Yet doctors, nurses, parents all act like these drugs aren’t worth explaining - “just take it” they all say…

But nobody is willing to pull you to the side and educate you saying something like, “Taking this Ibuprofen carries some notable risks you need to know about. Risks XYZ etc. are possible short term and risks XYZ have been noted to occur with long term use of the drugs.” Nobody ever tells anyone the big picture with these things. They’re accepted. As if they’re some kind of magical pill that eliminates pain with zero consequences. But the truth is, these drugs are so complex that not even the world’s best scientists have an adequate understanding of how NSAIDs work, nor do they fully understand their potential to cause damage, sometimes even serious damage, to its users
Billions of doses are taken each year, so the risk is pretty minimal. If you are taking them every day then the risks do increase but the alternatives for chronic pain are worse.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
This is a bizarre thread. NSAIDs are extremely well studied, their risks are well known, and all of the answers to your questions are readily available (the reasonable ones at least - no one is going to tell you what percentage of inflammation NSAIDs reduce).

EDIT: Tylenol and morphine are not NSAIDs.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

uh. what?
is someone opening up the drug packages at your pharmacy and throwing away the inserts?

Go_Ly_Dow

Was about to say, paracetamol/Tylenol isn't an NSAID.

If i have mild-moderate pain, I tend to use that over ibuprofen/advil.

Cutty Flam

Banned
This is a bizarre thread. NSAIDs are extremely well studied, their risks are well known, and all of the answers to your questions are readily available (the reasonable ones at least - no one is going to tell you what percentage of inflammation NSAIDs reduce).

EDIT: Tylenol and morphine are not NSAIDs.
There's nothing bizarre about this thread. It's a simple thread discussing an over the counter class of drugs. What is unusual about that? Every day about 11% of us living in the United States will take an NSAID drug of some sort. That's every day. How many of us think of what we are putting into our bodies and the consequences it has on our bodies' functioning when we make use of Advil or Ibuprofen or any other NSAIDs? I doubt many give it much thought, if any at all tbh. And that could end up being an issue for some individuals one day. You act like everyone can just list everything about these drugs, knows everything about them. You say they're extremely well studied, but you're incorrect. If that were the case, we would have a comprehensive understanding of how they work. "Even researchers don't fully understand how NSAIDs work." That's a quote directly from the webmd article link above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom