• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Number of Steam users with VR headsets almost doubled in 2018

EssKayZee

Source: Gamesindustry.biz

The latest Steam Hardware Survey has revealed virtual reality enjoyed growth in 2018 - although remains a limited userbase.

The December Hardware Survey shows that only Oculus Rift and Windows Mixed Reality saw their userbase increase during the month, both up marginally by 0.01%.

...UploadVR, which has been tracking VR ownership through Valve's monthly surveys, reports it actually shows a solid year of growth.

The site claims that over the course of 2018, the number of Steam users with a VR headset has almost doubled to 0.8%.

Oculus Rift's userbase grew by 85% in 2018, while HTC Vive was up by 65% - the latter likely due to the $100 price cut back in March.

From less than 1% to... still less than 1%. "Doubled" is carrying a lot of water here. :pie_gsquint:
It's early days. Growth was always going to be this slow, just like it was for smartphones and PCs.

I'm personally expecting SteamVR to grow to over 3% this year though. Valve's HMD + Half LIfe VR should make a really big impact.

JCK75

Price is certainly key, the price drop is why I finally adopted in 2018 (though I've wanted one since they launched)

MP!

i'm trying really hard not to say... "oh from 5 to 10.... IMPRESSIVE!" but I just can't help myself... I know I know... VR is nifty and you like it

Top Bottom