• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia 5000 Series GPU Rumored To Offer Biggest Performance Leap In History

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

WCCFTech recently reported on a rumor from RedGamingTech, who stated that Nvidia is determined to keep its performance lead over AMD and will probably use a new MCM-based GPU to do it. Nvidia officially confirmed that it will release the new generation of cards in 2024 and employ an entirely new SM architecture with a super fast bus speed. These innovations will likely help Nvidia keep 80% of the market, which is the market share the giant currently holds over AMD (which is at 18%).

Besides the new architecture, the new GPUs will reportedly use a denoising accelerator to handle ray tracing, improving performance. Nvidia’s previously released Hopper GPU was once the world’s fastest, generating greater performance than the RTX 4090. While Nvidia has confirmed four 5000 series cards, it’s impossible to guess what their specifications may be, or if some models will be un-launched like the 12GB RTX 4080.

Nvidia codenamed the new architecture Blackwell, after David Blackwell, an American statistician and mathematician famous for his breakthroughs in game theory. Blackwell was the first African American inducted into the National Academy of Sciences, and using his name continues Nvidia’s trend of basing new architecture after famous scientists. Said to be fabricated on TSMC’s 3nm process, the upcoming Blackwell series of cards could redefine what is possible with computer graphics, and be a precursor of what to expect in future iterations of the Xbox and PlayStation game consoles as well.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
5090 at 3500 msrp a separate casing than ur PC and a 2000w separate power supply
Give I Want One GIF

Buggy Loop

Can’t wait to see their new tech. Path tracing monster card? Might be the first card to pierce RT threshold, not just being “ok” at it.

Reallink

There were rumors they had a backup MCM design ready to go for the 4000's (possibly skipping ada all together) in case AMD happened to knock it out of the park with theirs, but given how shitty RDNA3 is, I suppose we'll never know. People have long theorized Nvidia's newly released architectures are at least 1 generation behind what they could actually produce if their monopoly was legitimately threatened by someone (i.e. they could release MCM 5000's right now if AMD had managed to blow the 4000's out of the water). I'm inclined to believe that's probably true.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
2000W power supply required.

5090 at 3500 msrp a separate casing than ur PC and a 2000w separate power supply
Those lame jokes fall flat now that the 4090 is known to be extremely power efficient.
And I'll grab the same ridiculous performance for cheap with AMD.
You'll get less performance for less $$$ and it certainly won't be "cheap".
Is RGT a reliable source?

Seen to remember some controversy with their claims on AMD
No. Idiots like this guy and MLID can't even get accurate info an hour before launch. No one fucking knows what the performance leap of Blackwell will be and these clowns certainly haven't got a clue.

Ozzie666

Game development is going to lag far behind any of these cards. The resources required will be insane, unless AI and upscaling can cover a lot of it. But development times are already getting longer and longer. Game development more expensive.

VN1X

Banned
Those lame jokes fall flat now that the 4090 is known to be extremely power efficient.

You'll get less performance for less $$$ and it certainly won't be "cheap".

No. Idiots like this guy and MLID can't even get accurate info an hour before launch. No one fucking knows what the performance leap of Blackwell will be and these clowns certainly haven't got a clue.
"Cheaper" would be the operative word yes. Its just not worth spending the amount Nvidia is asking anymore.

If AMD follows suit then soon only the second hand market will be affordable. Scalpers not withstanding of course.

Skifi28

I bought a brand new CPU a year ago and it felt outdated within 6 months seeing the new stuff releasing. I hope the people flexing about their 4090s in every thread start feeling the same after this thread.

Yeah, I'm salty as fuck.

Ozriel

M$FT
All these jokes about power and yet the 4xxx series are way more energy efficient than much of the previous series.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Yay even bigger budget games with mass market game play!

Last edited:

Teslerum

All these jokes about power and yet the 4xxx series are way more energy efficient than much of the previous series.
Severe lack of size related jokes as well. Which should instead be the case.

It's like a lot of people here comment without knowing anything about the actual card.

Last edited:
It's good to have performance but the real winner will be AMD for the price and the best performance for ur money u can get. I can see the electric bill costing me more then the pc at this rate

Last edited:

GymWolf

To play what on it though? The 4090 is more than enough to smoke anything this gen.
Witcher 3 nextgen update want to have a word with you.

Broken games exist, NOTHING is really overkill for pc gaming, devs are gonna continue to shit the bed with bad console porting or just badly optimized games.

Last edited:

hlm666

This wanker couldn't get much right 3 months from release of ada or rdna3, I'm sure his guesses of something over 2 years away is going to be right on the money...... You will get the same results asking a magic 8 ball hardware questions as you do watching him or mlid.

Top Bottom