• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia admits the 4080 12GB is not a 4080

winjer

Gold Member

The RTX 4080 12GB is a fantastic graphics card, but it’s not named right. Having two GPUs with the 4080 designation is confusing.

So, we’re pressing the “unlaunch” button on the 4080 12GB. The RTX 4080 16GB is amazing and on track to delight gamers everywhere on November 16th.

If the lines around the block and enthusiasm for the 4090 is any indication, the reception for the 4080 will be awesome.

A nice way to say we tried to fool you, but consumers aren't as dumb as we thought off.

Well, we can expect the announcement of the RTX 4070 soon, hopefully with a lower price.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

They thought they were slick.

"So, we’re pressing the “unlaunch” button on the 4080 12GB."

So, basically they will trash any 4080 12GB cards they made. Or at least ditch the casing/cover and keep the boards. Later on they will launch a "4070 Ti" where they use boards they scrapped but slap a new name on it and produce more boards to that spec.

Got it (y)

We aren't fucking buttoned up the back Nvidia you greedy assholes.

Last edited:
Probably because amd has a better product on a better price. November 3 will be so funny. The fanboys will keep their args only on RT and DLSS
don't wanna sound like a fanboy but have we seen anything that suggests AMD can compete in terms of Raytracing and DLSS?

I know they have their own DLSS competitor but is it on the same level as DLSS 3.0? Considering we only have a 4090 officially launched and no AMD cards i'd say it's too early to say for sure. I also don't know what AMD raytracing is like.

I really hope AMD and even Intel can bring some heat to Nvidia. They need to be brought down a peg or two.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Probably because amd has a better product on a better price. November 3 will be so funny. The fanboys will keep their args only on RT and DLSS

Well I need AMD to sort out their VR performance with oculus for me to be able to seriously consider them. So there's also that.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
All the YouTube tech channels I watched raked Nvidia over the coals for this. They all said that it was effectively a 4070 with them slapping the 4080 name on it and jacking the price. It was kind of funny, they all also said that they may be risking getting blacklisted by Nvidia but I guess enough of them said screw it to the point where Nvidia had to respond instead of retaliate.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
M9FmHP1.jpg

Of course no one was buying the 4080'12G was actually a 4080.

Genpop might have fallen for that shit, but the entire tech community and anyone who actually builds their own machine was blasting that card to hell.
I guess we made enough noise they knew they couldnt brush that shit under the rug.

Ayyeee good news for them though.
They can actually use those 4070 Founders Edition chassis they built.

Now about that pricing on AD104......500 dollars is the dream but I expect 600........a cent more and fuck right off again!
JMdnqA3.png

Sanepar

don't wanna sound like a fanboy but have we seen anything that suggests AMD can compete in terms of Raytracing and DLSS?

I know they have their own DLSS competitor but is it on the same level as DLSS 3.0? Considering we only have a 4090 officially launched and no AMD cards i'd say it's too early to say for sure. I also don't know what AMD raytracing is like.

I really hope AMD and even Intel can bring some heat to Nvidia. They need to be brought down a peg or two.
That's why I said that is the last front. But since I target high end gpus I don't care about dlss.

GHG

Gold Member
M9FmHP1.jpg

Genpop might have fallen for that shit, but the entire tech community and anyone who actually builds their own machine was blasting that card to hell.
I guess we made enough noise they knew they couldnt brush that shit under the rug.

Now about that pricing on AD104......500 dollars is the dream but I expect 600........a cent more and fuck right off again!
JMdnqA3.png

If it performed as it should have based on the naming, as in within a couple of % of the 4080 16GB, then I would have probaby got it. But as soon as we saw those benchmarks they released the other day it was all over as far as I was concerned.

Huge fuck up on their part. Don't know what they were thinking.

Elios83

Embarrassing.
They will simply rebrand the cards like 4070s in a few months, I don't think they're so arrogant to simply ask their partners to scrap the boards they have already manufactured and take the losses.
I also wonder if they caught wind of what AMD is launching and the 4080 12GB was just too weak to be competitive at the expected prices.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Dafuq, its even worse now. They gonna name it 4070 and sell it for 800 just watch. Also they should just drop the price of the 4080 16gb to 900 since the 12gb is gone and this would be the most fair price for it.
Bringing the 4080'16G to 800-900 would be such a goodwill move Nvidia would never even dream of doing that.

But seriously that about where the 16G should be priced.
The 4080'16G is basically half a 4090, with the 4090 at 1600, the 4080'16G should be 800-900.

aka let's rename it 4070.
Just back to its original name.
lADRdIB.png

They even made the 4070 Founders Edition chassis already.....last minute greed got to them and they decided lets just call it a 4080'12G no one will know the difference, and we can charge a premium on them.

AIBs had to go to the trouble of reprinting or making stickers that say 4080'12G over their 4070'12G boxes, flash all the vBIOS on their cards with the name 4080.
Only to be told a frikken month away from release.
Ohh sorry guys, hopefully you havent already recycled the 4070'12G boxes.....cuz you are gonna need them.

DaGwaphics

M9FmHP1.jpg

JMdnqA3.png

Hard to imagine that they were planning on releasing a product for $900 with only a 30-35% uplift from the $500 3070 or a 10% uplift from the 3080, depending on how you want to look at it. That graph really puts it into perspective.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This together with the recent dlss they blocked on older hardware because reasons.

Fuck nvidia.

Amd get your fucking shit together you've had decades to challenge nvidia look what youve done.

They really miss their crypto money. Fuck em don't pay for this shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom