• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia admits the 4080 12GB is not a 4080

GHG

Gold Member
Too big to fail when sitting at the tippety top line of thinking.

Which is why true competition is important.

Well to be fair, AMD only have themselves to blame for their demise in the discrete GPU space over the last decade. They have self reflected, made the necessary internal changes and seem to be on the right track now. They have even managed to do so without any questionable M&A activity. Incredible really.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Imagine this gif, but it was Jensen... and they had a much harder time getting him on their shoulders.

Knightime_X

Rename it to 4070 and make it considerably cheaper.
I'll forget this whole fiasco, even though I knew immediately what was going on from the start.

Greed makes greedy people and corporations rich, until it blows up in their face. This shit-fest coupled with the DLSS software block silliness earlier this week is not a good look for Nvidia who already ate shit when crypto mining sales plummeted.

Now if AMD can actually compete with them on a hardware level when they reveal their new cards, they have a chance at stealing some customers. I never buy GPUs during launch, so I'll wait until early 2023 before I make a decision on which direction I'll be going. Hopefully by then Nvidia has adjusted pricing due to lower demand, or AMD has a better alternative. My bet though is that everyone pissing and moaning about this will buy this shit anyways at the prices being asked, AMD will somehow disappoint with their reveal, and we'll all be fucked either way.

Either way the next few months should be interesting.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hard to imagine that they were planning on releasing a product for $900 with only a 30-35% uplift from the $500 3070 or a 10% uplift from the 3080, depending on how you want to look at it. That graph really puts it into perspective.
Yup.
The 4080'12G would have been an embarrassment, and would have gone down in modern history as the worst graphics card to ever graphics card.

If it performed as it should have based on the naming, as in within a couple of % of the 4080 16GB, then I would have probaby got it. But as soon as we saw those benchmarks they released the other day it was all over as far as I was concerned.

Huge fuck up on their part. Don't know what they were thinking.
We had pretty much all the chips leaked like a year ago.
We knew what all these chips were and how they would perform. (within margin of error so far)
Nvidia just got really greedy after eating so well during the pandemic they decided we need to price everything up a tier, but we dont have cutdown AD103s.....so they decided just use the big AD104 as a baby 4080...people are so desperate for GPUs they will eat anything....or so they thought.

Only the 4080Ti and 4090Ti are missing from this graph
LLmp0Qn.png

RTX30s still being widely available and going for very competitive prices is making life very hard for Nvidia when it comes to the 4070, 60Ti, 60 and 50Ti.
Cuz there are current 30 series cards on the shelves that will perform similarly or better for a competitive price.
RTX40 price cuts better come sooner rather than later otherwise Nvidia are gonna be stuck with a bunch of GPUs again.

dave_d

I don't care what they call it since all the names are made up anyway. What I care about is how much does it cost and what performance do I get. At $900 I had no interest coming from a 3070. Anyway watch them re-release it as a 4075 with the appropriate price increase. (It'll be between the 4070 and 4080)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's not even a 4070 if you look at the performance compared to the 3090 Ti. It has WORSE performance. It's a 4060 Ti at best.

SlimySnake

Well to be fair, AMD only have themselves to blame for their demise in the discrete GPU space over the last decade. They have self reflected, made the necessary internal changes and seem to be on the right track now. They have even managed to do so without any questionable M&A activity. Incredible really.
They have a decent job with the RDNA GPUs but the pricing is still very off. They took full advantage of the GPU shortage and were charging $300-500 above the MSRP. They had a lot of unsold GPUs too.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think part of the reason they canceled it is because the 7800xt would've walked all over the "4080" 12 gb.
I think you could be on to something. I doubt they’d do this because “it’s the right thing to do”, or even because the PR is embarrassing. Nvidia normally doesn’t give a shit about that.

Makes more sense if this is a response to AMD and they’re just framing it as “listening to their fans” or wherever.

//DEVIL//

It's not even a 4070 if you look at the performance compared to the 3090 Ti. It has WORSE performance. It's a 4060 Ti at best.
Now you are just pushing it lol.

The 2080ti was still a better performer than the 3070 with all said and done. I am guessing the same between the 4080 12 and 3090ti .

Besides the 3090ti for all said and done is really a powerful card. It’s just the 4090 is a heavenly card.

This 4090 will be remembered as one of the best cards of nvidia released in terms of performance uplift

SlimySnake

Now you are just pushing it lol.

The 2080ti was still a better performer than the 3070 with all said and done. I am guessing the same between the 4080 12 and 3090ti .

Besides the 3090ti for all said and done is really a powerful card. It’s just the 4090 is a heavenly card.

This 4090 will be remembered as one of the best cards of nvidia released in terms of performance uplift
Nah. 3070 was around the same or better than the 2080Ti.

You can see all the benchmark comparisons here.

I see now. Thanks.

So 4080 12 GB which is the 4070 is worse than the 3090 Ti. Last gen, the 3070 was around the same performance level as the 2080 Ti, and the 3080 was roughly almost 40% more powerful than the 2080 Ti. Thats now cut down to 10%. The price is has gone up by $500.

The 3080 was 63% more powerful than the 2080. If my math is correct then the 4080 is going to be just 25-30% more powerful.

This is really really bad.

MWyjL97.jpg

36L5e7N.jpg
295CNaE.jpg

benno

This will be named a 4070ti . Problem solved . Will be released later in Dec or Jan under different number on the box but same card . And it will be 100$ cheaper max if we are lucky .
they don't want to do that as they have a large stock of 3080s and 3090s to get shut of. If it's more powerful than either of those cards they'll have to undercut themselves or lower the prices of 30x0 series even more.

Yep, expect them to fuck right off
Nvidia is slowly moving everything up the price ladder. The days of <500 dollar budget monsters are long gone now
500-600 used to be high end 80 series cards. A 1080ti price. A 1060 was either $200-250. That was mid grade, and budget was around $100 or so 1050s.

It started creeping up with touring. They lowered it again a bit but not back to normal levels with ampere but then got greedy as they sold to asshole miners and scalpers. Driving prices up. People (the mentioned) bought them in droves so they came out with this pricing scheme.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Prices are still absurd but you can see based on cuda cores and app that they should have names it differently.

One things for sure is that a 4090 is a 4090

FingerBang

The fact they thought they could get away with is is shocking.

This doesn't change the fact the price of the 4080 16GB is still ridiculous.
Again, folks. I paid $700 for a Founders that was maybe 10% slower than a much more expensive 3090 at 1499.

Now they expect us to pay $1200 for a card that is MUCH slower than a 4090.

RespawnX

Yes it was RTX 4060 rebranded.
Also they are still launching RTX 4070 as 4080 with double the sticker price and no body is questioning that.

q0EJuFZ.png

And we haven't even talked about the price yet, no matter if X80 or X70, GPUs have never been this expensive by far. Nvidia decided to position the 4000 series above the 3000 due to the mismanagement and the collapse of the mining business. They could have communicated that, but it would have been an admission that the management has absolutely screwed up.

Apparently, no one there questions Huang, who not only wastes vast amounts of resources and money with his arrogance, but at the same time puts the jobs of the partners in danger and makes anti-consumer decisions. On top of that, he also has the balls to present this as "the new way". This guy is the definition of a full-blown dickhead.

I really hope AMD cuts his balls off on the 3rd. Anyway, AMD had never had it so easy to shine, this could be their Ryzen moment in the GPU market - provided that GPUs and prices are right.

kiphalfton

Lmao. They’ll just release it as the 4070 later. Or call it a 4070Ti.

All the board partners are probably really unhappy right now though lol

IKR. What's more expensive, a piece of plastic (i.e. a shroud) they can swap out that says "RTX 4070 Ti" or going back to the drawing board and completing reevaluating their line up.

gundalf

Wtf this is hilarious.... what about the cards the AIBs have manufactured....and all the packaging? Jeeeezus nvidia.

I can see first batches having simply a 4070 sticker slapped on top of the packaging while the manuals and BIOS still have the 3080 branding.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Bringing the 4080'16G to 800-900 would be such a goodwill move Nvidia would never even dream of doing that.

But seriously that about where the 16G should be priced.
The 4080'16G is basically half a 4090, with the 4090 at 1600, the 4080'16G should be 800-900.

Just back to its original name.
lADRdIB.png

They even made the 4070 Founders Edition chassis already.....last minute greed got to them and they decided lets just call it a 4080'12G no one will know the difference, and we can charge a premium on them.

AIBs had to go to the trouble of reprinting or making stickers that say 4080'12G over their 4070'12G boxes, flash all the vBIOS on their cards with the name 4080.
Only to be told a frikken month away from release.
Ohh sorry guys, hopefully you havent already recycled the 4070'12G boxes.....cuz you are gonna need them.

LMAO at "goodwill".

$900 is still too expensive for the RTX 4080 16GB. But like you there will be people who actually see it as "goodwill", and for that I feel bad for you guys.

Going from beating somebody twice a day to to only beating them once a day, is just as bad. And yet that's exactly what Nvidia did by raising the price by $500 more than last gen. So even if they backed the price down, to just $200 more than last gen, that's still too much and not acceptable. Yet those taking the abuse will still praise them for being so gracious.

Last edited:

Soltype

Good, that card didn't make sense.Wish AMD would get their act together though, Nvidia hasn't had competition in a while.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
LMAO at "goodwill".

$900 is still too expensive for the RTX 4080 16GB. But like you there will be people who actually see it as "goodwill", and for that I feel bad for you guys.

Going from beating somebody twice a day to to only beating them once a day, is just as bad. And yet that's exactly what Nvidia did by raising the price $500 from last gen. So even if they backed it down to $200 over last gen, that's still too much and not acceptable, and yet their abusees would still praise them for being so gracious.
Excuse you sir.

The RTX 3080 launched at 700 dollars MSRP
I proposed having the 4080'16G at 800 dollars would be a sign of goodwill after this debacle.
But clearly I "and people like me" are insane cuz why would they increase the price of the xx80s gen on gen?

IOOkuzk.jpg

Ohh right....700 dollars in 2020 is 800 dollars today....so in effect no increase in price gen on gen.

Roni

Gold Member
Feels like NVIDIA is running out of steam... If AMD can keep grinding and start actually coming out with their promised standardized tech, they might steal NVIDIA's cake in 5-6 years.

Drew1440

Good, that card didn't make sense.Wish AMD would get their act together though, Nvidia hasn't had competition in a while.

This together with the recent dlss they blocked on older hardware because reasons.

Fuck nvidia.

Amd get your fucking shit together you've had decades to challenge nvidia look what youve done.

They really miss their crypto money. Fuck em don't pay for this shit.
Have I missed something here? What's happened with AMD? the R9 380X I had was pretty good.

Crayon

Jfc. Did they suddenly realize they were going to end up with a $500 4050?

Beand loyalty is going to get them largely off the hook for this. If someone points a gun at you, and then has a change of heart, you should remember that.

lukilladog

Excuse you sir.

The RTX 3080 launched at 700 dollars MSRP
I proposed having the 4080'16G at 800 dollars would be a sign of goodwill after this debacle.
But clearly I "and people like me" are insane cuz why would they increase the price of the xx80s gen on gen?

IOOkuzk.jpg

Ohh right....700 dollars in 2020 is 800 dollars today....so in effect no increase in price gen on gen.

Nvidia can get a haircut too like everybody.

Top Bottom