• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVidia admits the 4080 12GB is not a 4080

DaGwaphics

AMD seems to want to position themselves as the cards people will buy if the Nvidia cards are sold out. $50-100 lower than the Nvidia equivalent, at best. Going for profit margins not market share.

That's the sad reality. Although, Intel entering the fray may force their hand a bit. If Intel can sort out their drivers and such, they might continue to price aggressively at least for another series or two, that could put AMD's comfortable position as the distant #2 in jeopardy.

Reallink

Or… Nvidia knew that AMD would be competitive this time and launched the 4090 first and overclocked it in factory to push higher than they originally planned to. And had the 4090Ti as a plan B but had to postpone it when they pushed it too far.
No, if anything they pushed it lower than they planned to. The 4th 8 pin on the 4090 is widely regarded to be an unnecessary redundancy, and it generally draws less power than the 3090s.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I dont get this. If they don't have something as good as the 4090 why would they wait so long? Whenever AMD had a worse product they'd release it immediately to cash in on the next gen sales before nvidias offer came out. If anything this gives me hope since it's clear they're working hard and are clearly confident in their product
I'm hoping this too but I feel like I'm gonna be disappointed. I'll say this though, I think the 40 series is completely overkill in performance, and it's priced appropriately, but that's not to say AMD can't pull out a V here, relatively speaking. If they can produce a card with rasterized performance that's within 20 percent of the performance of a 4080, while drawing less power, and undercutting the price of a 4080 by at least 25%, then I think they would absolutely destroy Nvidia in the mid range demo. This could also force Nvidia to price more competitively in the mid range. I really feel like that'd be a win for the whole industry.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
EVGA sitting back laughing right now....

till their whole company goes belly up.

Not so sure about that, most indications were that they made very little actual profit from gpus. They might actually do better......

Crayon

Let's be honest peeps....they haven't done this for us, they haven't listened.....they just know damn well where the benchmarks are going to sit and have discussed what the backlash would be and decided it's nit worth it. This thing must be dookie compared to what reviewers and ourselves expect of a 4080. They will have got early feedback and pulled the plug. Wh8ch is a shame because I'd love NVIDIA to receive more humble pie.

Haha yeah in fact i was a little disappointed when I saw they weren't going to go through with it. I was all buckled up for the ride.

Excess

Hopefully the downtrend continues.
mvplpys.png
The entire market is down. Their stock price has nothing to do with their overall health.

Fredrik

No, if anything they pushed it lower than they planned to. The 4th 8 pin on the 4090 is widely regarded to be an unnecessary redundancy, and it generally draws less power than the 3090s.
Fair enough. I’m just going by the Der8auer review where he thought the FE acted like an over-clocked card, the last 40% of power gave only 10% more performance.

Either way, I’m already set with my suprim x but for the sake of the PC hardware industry I hope AMD hit it out the park and inject some serious pricing wars into the mix.

Allandor

I guess the current results are more a review-card example. It might be, that the cards are better than they expected but the power connectors also tell me that they want to ensure that they can as many chips as possible even with brute force like much higher power usage.

Top Bottom