• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia bringing DLSS to Tomb Raider, Back 4 Blood, Baldur's Gate 3, and more this month

GHG

Gold Member
10 new titles this month:
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Back 4 Blood
  • Crysis Remastered Trilogy
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Chivalry 2
  • Sword and Fairy 7
  • Swords of Legends Online
  • F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch
  • Alan Wake Remastered

Glad to see this picking up pace. Should be amazing in BG3.

Excess

I guess they figured people were already installing the upgraded files, so this is even better. I think both Tomb Raider games used some version of 1.0.

Nvidia, oh how I love thee

aleyna-yilmaz-heart-sign.gif

Leonidas

Glad to see that DLSS 1.0 will be erased from Shadow of the Tomb Raider, now if only DLSS 1.0 could be erased from the handful of other games it's still in.

Banned
as someone who just got a 30 series card and finally experienced DLSS 2.x first hand in all its glory, this is great news.

even if you don't need the performance boost, DLSS is still among the best AA methods you can get in a game.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I'm surprised they've managed to get so many devs to go back and update their old games. They must have a great program out there getting devs to put the resources into it.

as someone who just got a 30 series card and finally experienced DLSS 2.x first hand in all its glory, this is great news.

even if you don't need the performance boost, DLSS is still among the best AA methods you can get in a game.
What's weird to me is that this kind of tech would have the absolute most benefit on the kind of hardware Nvidia doesn't make - cheap or integrated GPUs.
Like, an equivalent of a GTX 1060 with a hundred or so Tensor cores, could push 4K60 on most current-gen titles with DLSS. And with the new manufacturing processes the die for it would probably be quite small, so there'd be good yields from production too.

As a consumer that values being able to play games over being able to play games at maximum graphics detail, a GPU like that would be an immediate purchase, but I guess the current market analysts don't see it that way.

Kazza

I wonder if they'll bother adding it to many other old games? You need a minimum of an RTX2060 to use DLSS anyway, and that card can probably already play most older games at 4K/60 without requiring DLSS. I suppose they may have one eye on future potential Switch 2/Pro ports too.

reksveks

It wouldn't help them on PC, which is more or less entirely x86 territory.
MS needs to get to work on their ARM sku of Windows (improved performance especially for x86 emulation) which I suspect that they will continue to work on but yeah, there is definitely some external blockers for Nvidia here.

Dr.D00p

Rise of the Tomb Raider support is welcome ( I don't have Shadow) , maxed out at 4K, it can still push a 3080 to its limits, and beyond if you use the SSAA option.

Kenpachii

LOL i just readed the drivers

Riftbreaker devs are such fuckers, they worked with nvidia but on purposely didn't implement DLSS.

Our newest GeForce Game Ready driver ensures the definitive gaming experience in Back 4 Blood, Crysis Remastered Trilogy, and The Riftbreaker. And also includes support for the launch of NVIDIA DLSS in Baldur’s Gate 3, Chivalry 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Sword and Fairy 7.

fake 4k
not my 4k

but i love it on mah laptop!

Good luck playing your games at 60 fps, i will be playing it at 100+ fps and see no difference in quality. Real 4k has been useless since the introduction of quality dlss. Hell i even put it on just to lower watt consumption in games that don't require it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
LOL i just readed the drivers

Riftbreaker devs are such fuckers, they worked with nvidia but on purposely didn't implement DLSS.

Good luck playing your games at 60 fps, i will be playing it at 100+ fps and see no difference in quality. Real 4k has been useless since the introduction of quality dlss. Hell i even put it on just to lower watt consumption in games that don't require it.
problem is i spot it :(
i rather play 3440x1440 no need for it even with high framerates

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
fake 4k
not my 4k

but i love it on mah laptop!

Still, very close and easily the next best thing after native res compared to all the other upscaling/CBR solutions out there. And soon there will be DLAA variant which will upscale image from the native res to eliminate jaggies, shimmering etc.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

problem is i spot it :(
i rather play 3440x1440 no need for it even with high framerates

I spot 45 fps versus 80 fps more then what DLSS does negatively. TAA and ever AA on the market has trade offs. DLSS its acceptable for my views specially for the huge performance gain u get.

DLSS is very nice but it will eventually die just like PhysX and Hairworks. Intel's open source XeSS will most likely become the standard and I hope they hurry up with it.
ok. but would Intel have bothered making XeSS or would AMD have bothered making FidelityFX if Nvidia hadn't made DLSS? Somehow I don't remember any kind of AI AA before 2018. How many games used raytracing before Nvidia made RTX? You can pretty much thank Nvidia for PS5/XSX having raytracing.

you very well might be right that DLSS will die off but Nvidia will have achieved their goal by then. They put out new tech and then it pushes others to make it standard. Nvidia can't make it standard on their own, can they? They have no control over what Intel/AMD/Microsoft do. They can only try to influence.

Last edited:
ok. but would Intel have bothered making XeSS or would AMD have bothered making FidelityFX if Nvidia hadn't made DLSS? Somehow I don't remember any kind of AI AA before 2018. How many games used raytracing before Nvidia made RTX? You can pretty much thank Nvidia for PS5/XSX having raytracing.

you very well might be right that DLSS will die off but Nvidia will have achieved their goal by then. They put out new tech and then it pushes others to make it standard. Nvidia can't make it standard on their own, can they? They have no control over what Intel/AMD/Microsoft do. They can only try to influence.
I don't know what you are talking about but it has nothing to do with my post. You've made up some narrative in your head that you decided to run with.

Top Bottom