• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Enhanced Switch Games- $70?

-Nintendo is obviously hesitant to launch a new console or even a "Switch Pro". The Switch is the 3rd best selling console of all time and Nintendo does not want to risk losing that user base. The longer they can keep ppl buying games on their current hardware, the better for profits.

-although the Nvidia Tergra chip is a completely different architecture than the DLSS enabled RTX chips, other forms of image enhancement/anti-aliasing/upscaling exist and nobody is better at these things than Nvidia and it's THEIR chip in the switch.

I am not saying that Nvidia could make switch games look like PS5 games. Nope. I'm saying that simply cleaning up switch games that are literally "rough around the edges" is very possible without new hardware and would be more than enough to appease Nintendo fans, even if it only works on new games. Never mind if they can get those games that already exist to get locked framerate and/or smoothed edges. Nintendo had never been about power, they are about a SMOOTH and CLEAN artstyle. Even minor upscaling and anti-aliasing improvements get Nintendo another 3 years with this hardware.

Just an idea that seems doable and would be clever as hell to implement.

**EDIT** Again I'm not saying DLSS quality. AMD's FSR1 works on various hardware that is older than switch. If AMD can do THAT then Nvidia can at least do better than FSR1 on their own chip with Nintendo devs working with them to optimize for a single platform, and build individual futures games with this this FSR1-like tech in mind. Come on guys, I understand it probably won't happen but you are just being obtuse if you're argument is that it is some kind of impossible magic haha. Have some fun! It's just games and ideas.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

UnNamed

Banned
New Zelda will be better than BotW simply because BotW was made with the WiiU in mind, and WiiU had a veeery shitty CPU, so they had to optimize the game with this in mind.
Zelda TotK will not have this limit.

Are you saying that there is some sort of secret sauce in the Tegra that has been unused for six years yet Nintendo has now unlocked it? Why would this be the case?
I think Nvidia has learned and invented a LOT since then and my Nintendo finally NEEDS some magic sauce so it is just something I think COULD be possible to do today

Fbh

Upscaling tech isn't magic, specially if they have to work with the old Switch hardware and not with a new chip. Remember that the only reason DLSS is so good is because the hardware was designed for it.
If I recall correctly I think digital foundry was impressed with the upscaling tech used in Xenoblade 3 which made it look much nicer and sharper than the second one....but in the end it still looks like a blurry Switch game if you are coming from a Ps5/SX or a mid range PC. I wouldn't expect anything better than that.

If they don't want to risk loosing the audience just do the same as Xbox and Playstation. Release a new system but make all games cross gen for a couple of years. Make Metroid Prime the same game with the same gameplay and same content on Switch and Switch 2, except it's 1440p 60fps on Switch 2 and 540p 40-60 fps on Switch.

Last edited:

TonyK

How do you do DLSS or whatever other technique without upgrading de actual Switch hardware? I mean, it barely can handle regular games, how do you add the extra sauce needed?

RhyDin

New Zelda will be better than BotW simply because BotW was made with the WiiU in mind, and WiiU had a veeery shitty CPU, so they had to optimize the game with this in mind.
Maybe. I know it's a different type of game and probably had less team members on the project, but Link's Awakening HD remake ran at a completely awful framerate and made me lose a lot of faith in Nintendo's "quality".

Upscaling tech isn't magic, specially if they have to work with the old Switch hardware and not with a new chip. Remember that the only reason DLSS is so good is because the hardware was designed for it.
If I recall correctly I think digital foundry was impressed with the upscaling tech used in Xenoblade 3 which made it look much nicer and sharper than the second one....but in the end it still looks like a blurry Switch game if you are coming from a Ps5/SX or a mid range PC. I wouldn't expect anything better than that.

If they don't want to risk loosing the audience just do the same as Xbox and Playstation. Release a new system but make all games cross gen for a couple of years. Make Metroid Prime the same game with the same gameplay and same content on Switch and Switch 2, except it's 1440p 60fps on Switch 2 and 540p 40-60 fps on Switch.
Again I'm not saying dlss quality. AMD's FSR1 works on various hardware that is older than switch. If AMD can do THAT then Nvidia can at least do better than FSR1 on their own chip with Nintendo decs working with them to optimize for a single platform and build individual futures games with this FSR1-like tech in mind. Come on guys, I understand it probably won't happen but you are just being obtuse if you're argument is that it is some kind of impossible magic haha. Have some fun! It's just games and ideas.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Again I'm not saying dlss quality. AMD's FSR1 works on various hardware that is older than switch. If AMD can do THAT then Nvidia can at least do better than FSR1 on their own chip with Nintendo decs working with them to optimize for a single platform and build individual futures games with this FSR1-like tech in mind. Come on guys, I understand it probably won't happen but you are just being obtuse if you're argument is that it is some kind of impossible magic haha. Have some fun! It's just games and ideas.

FSR1 is in the same sort of general category as something like TAA that has been around on Switch from the beginning; it’s not really anything special or very good which is why AMD moved on to FSR2 and is pushing that. I am sure TOTK will have different technical choices from BOTW because it’s been six years; similar to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 vs. 3, but there is only so much blood you can get from this stone. There’s no secret sauce.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Thanks I just emailed this suggestion to Nintendo.

Dear Nintendo, just a humble suggestion. I think Nvidia should give you some kind of technology or something that could help Switch games look better. I’m pretty sure this is technologically feasible because Nvidia has a lot of cool tech. Has anybody thought of this yet?

I’ll let you know if they respond.

kiphalfton

May not be limited by WiiU hardware, but let's not pretend it wont have various other limits related to the Switch's hardware.

Top Bottom