• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti to replace canceled RTX 4080 12GB SKU, launch in Janaury

//DEVIL//

Of course they won’t call it 4070 so they don’t lower the price ( but I am guessing they might a bit since it’s a 70 series now )

Last edited:

Bojji

Of course they won’t call it 4070 so they don’t lower the price ( but I am guessing they will since it’s a 70 series now )

4070ti that is not even faster than fastest GPU of previous gen, which was usual for normal xx70 (NON TI) cards.

And ridiculous price point (even with price cut if it happens), good job Nvidia....

Kuranghi

For me personally this is all meaningless anyway, stupid UK prices mean I won't consider because it'll make them think its okay to charge that.

Now I'm waiting for proper AMD benchmarks and if it's good + the prices aren't also inflated in UK I'll buy the flagship because I don't care about RT or DLSS.

Mister Wolf

Once those AMD benchmarks drop they will drop the price of both the 4080 and 4070ti. Hopefully they shave some hundreds off the 4090 but I doubt it. Still getting one.

EVGA GTX 1080 - £600
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - £700
Pallit RTX 3080 - £749

Those are the last three GPUs I have purchased from NVIDIA. The RTX 4080 is rumoured to be costing £1,269 here in the UK. Not quite but almost double the price of the previous generation! Absolutely outrageous!

Previously, you would expect a 20-30% increase in performance going from one generation of graphics card to the next equivalent SKU but now it seems NVIDIA expect people to pay excessively for that privellege. I suspect that the RTX 3080, great as it undoubtedly is, will be the last NVIDIA graphics card I ever buy because their pricing is just out of control in my opinion. There is no way I could justify paying almost £1,300 for a high-end GPU that will be superseded by something better within 12-18 months.

tusharngf

giphy.gif

OZ9000

Banned
Isn't this more accurately a 4060 Ti as opposed to a 4070 Ti?

Nvidia dropped the ball.

An actual 4070 must be pretty shit. Can't imagine what the 4060/4060Ti is going to be like.

Puscifer

Gold Member
EVGA GTX 1080 - £600
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - £700
Pallit RTX 3080 - £749

Those are the last three GPUs I have purchased from NVIDIA. The RTX 4080 is rumoured to be costing £1,269 here in the UK. Not quite but almost double the price of the previous generation! Absolutely outrageous!

Previously, you would expect a 20-30% increase in performance going from one generation of graphics card to the next equivalent SKU but now it seems NVIDIA expect people to pay excessively for that privellege. I suspect that the RTX 3080, great as it undoubtedly is, will be the last NVIDIA graphics card I ever buy because their pricing is just out of control in my opinion. There is no way I could justify paying almost £1,300 for a high-end GPU that will be superseded by something better within 12-18 months.
Yeah, I'm basically going AMD regardless of ray tracing in the coming months. Nvidia is just really out of pocket at this point, I haven't seen this level of cockiness since the 400 series (remember that shit??)

FireFly

Isn't this more accurately a 4060 Ti as opposed to a 4070 Ti?

Nvidia dropped the ball.

An actual 4070 must be pretty shit. Can't imagine what the 4060/4060Ti is going to be like.
4070 will likely be a cut down version of the same chip (AD104). Maybe with 3080/3080 Ti level performance?

4060 should be AD106 which from the rumoured Time Spy scores will perform around the 3070 level.

//DEVIL//

I don't even think its worth going for the 4070 Ti.

Just buy a 3080 at a cheaper price.
Assuming the 4070ti is same exact specs as 4080 12 Gb, then it’s still more powerful than 3080 and it has dlss3

It really comes down to pricing . If we are talking strictly new. How much is the 3080 these days brand new ? In Canada it’s about 750$ US brand new, if the 4070ti is about 900$ US, I would go with the 4070ti simply because of the newer technology and dlss 3 . More future proofing I would say ( especially when they release a dlss 3.1 that fix some of the 3.0 short comings etc )

With that being said 900$ for 4070ti is probably gonna be an FE card. Everything else is more expensive so you will have to buy the FE for that 150$ price difference. Any other model and you pay more than that and it becomes a questionable purchase.

However I am pretty sure it will be less and will be close to 800$ or so which makes it more worth it compared to the 3080 priced brand new right now.

If you are into the used market then don’t bother and just grab a 3080 for 400$ lol

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

So, Jensen, care to explain why you thought this level of performance was worth $900 with a 4080 label stuck on it one day, but isn't when called a 4070ti, the next?

Aren't we buying the level of performance and not the name on the box....

OZ9000

Banned
Assuming the 4070ti is same exact specs as 4080 12 Gb, then it’s still more powerful than 3080 and it has dlss3

It really comes down to pricing . If we are talking strictly new. How much is the 3080 these days brand new ? In Canada it’s about 750$ US brand new, if the 4070ti is about 900$ US, I would go with the 4070ti simply because of the newer technology and dlss 3 . More future proofing I would say ( especially when they release a dlss 3.1 that fix some of the 3.0 short comings etc )

With that being said 900$ for 4070ti is probably gonna be an FE card. Everything else is more expensive so you will have to buy the FE for that 150$ price difference. Any other model and you pay more than that and it becomes a questionable purchase.

However I am pretty sure it will be less and will be close to 800$ or so which makes it more worth it compared to the 3080 priced brand new right now.

If you are into the used market then don’t bother and just grab a 3090 for 700$
Motion interpenetration sucks because it introduces added input latency.

Nvidia would really need to give the 4070Ti a hefty price cut to make it attractive, especially as the 7900 XT looks to be more powerful at a given price point.

//DEVIL//

Motion interpenetration sucks because it introduces added input latency.

Nvidia would really need to give the 4070Ti a hefty price cut to make it attractive, especially as the 7900 XT looks to be more powerful at a given price point.
Just like dlss 1 sucked, this one will improve dramatically. I do not look at things right this second but at a future proofing .

AMD has its own problems sometimes . Starting from bad and slow driver updates to issues in games even with driver updates ( for example in Cold War no matter what update they released back when I had the 6800xt, the glass windows always had some weird dot patterns on them that didn’t happen on my nvidia card. List goes on really . Let alone the amd reference cards are kinda harder to get than FE, and AIB amd cards are way more expensive than it’s same design card on Nvidia .

If the 4070ti is same level performance as 3090 for 900$ ( which again, I believe it will be cheaper now that it’s called 4070ti down to 800$), is not a bad value really.

Buggy Loop

Once those AMD benchmarks drop they will drop the price of both the 4080 and 4070ti. Hopefully they shave some hundreds off the 4090 but I doubt it. Still getting one.

I actually think it's not going to affect 4090 prices

Last gen the fight was much tighter between RDNA 2 and Ampere than this one.

$999 6900 XT vs $1,499 3090
They were trading blows at rasterization with the 3090 getting a slight edge at 4k. (RT is another matter..)

$999 7900 XTX vs $1,599 4090

Seems like there will be no trading blows, estimated that the 4090 will keep a safe 10-20% margin in rasterization over AMD's flagship, RT is again, not even gonna be comparable.

What's remaining is to know where the 4080 situates in all this. I think it will be trading blows at rasterization with the 7900XTX with AMD getting the edge, but not as much as peoples think. All these "up to" and 6950XT comparisons running on worse processors is gonna bite some expectations in the ass.

So the 4080 will be worse in raster but not by much, while wiping the floor with AMD's flagship in RT. We agree on that?
Doesn't that remind anyone of the 3080 Ti? $1,199.
Forget the names this gen and the "digit" series comparison. You're gonna have to compare the performance-delta/price with the flagships to have an idea how it compared with what we had in RDNA2 vs Ampere. The naming convention doesn't matter in the end.

Prices won't drop till ampere stock is gone anyway ;)

Crayon

If they try $900 again that will look bad. If they cut $200 off it that will look bad. I cannot wait to see how much a regular 4070 goes for.

Fredrik

I don’t understand, they stumble and stumble so why is the stock going up? It’s 19% up in a month!? (I sold at the bottom, of course)

Buggy Loop

I don’t understand, they stumble and stumble so why is the stock going up? It’s 19% up in a month!? (I sold at the bottom, of course)

Jim Cramer said that Nvidia stock is overvalued right now, so of course, the inverse Cramer rules says it’s undervalued!

they just made a compute GPU for China that bypass US’ export ban. Ampere series takes the lead in steam market share, their AI business is stronger than ever.. so good in fact they have >80% of AI processing, trillions on the table in the coming 5 years in that field, might even overtake Apple according to some analysts

Celcius

°Temp. member
lol nvidia
They make awesome products but some of their decisions have been horrible.
The Ada Lovelace generation has been such a turn-off.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oof! How much of a price jump are we talking again?

You done FUCKED UP Nvidia. They’d better lose marketshare to AMD this round.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Oof! How much of a price jump are we talking again?

You done FUCKED UP Nvidia. They’d better lose marketshare to AMD this round.

Are you going to buy AMD?

Not trying to be rude but it seems like this is the story for the last 10 years. NVIDIA jacking prices while everyone else hopes that everyone else buys AMD.

Personally I am not going to swear off NVIDIA but I am probably going to 1) Stick with this 3080 for a longer time than I anticipated (I game at 1440p) and probably go for a -60 or -70 series when teh 5XXX or 6XXX are released.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Are you going to buy AMD?

Not trying to be rude but it seems like this is the story for the last 10 years. NVIDIA jacking prices while everyone else hopes that everyone else buys AMD.

Personally I am not going to swear off NVIDIA but I am probably going to 1) Stick with this 3080 for a longer time than I anticipated (I game at 1440p) and probably go for a -60 or -70 series when teh 5XXX or 6XXX are released.

I bought a 5700XT and it was a fantastic card.
This round AMD was in on the gouging, and I was able to sell my 5700XT to snag a FE 3070ti for free.

I have no team allegiance. I go with whoever is doing right by me. If it’s AMD, then absolutely I will buy a 7700XT. It will come down to performance for the price.

I get it though; people talk the talk and don’t walk the walk.

Last edited:

Reallink

NVIDIA capped out for me with the 3080, after that the prices and energy consumption became ridiculous. I’ll likely go AMD when I upgrade later down the line, can’t be supporting that shit.

Yeah sure, and you'll be beating down their door to buy a 5080/90 or 6080/90 at any price just as everyone with 10XX/20XX's have been buying out every 4090 in less that 1 minute (literally) for the better part of a month.

High prices mean big profits to investors, cause everyone complaining winds up buying them anyways. Masses of people will be paying $400+ for a 4060, which will be equivalent to an XX30 or base XX50 of old that used to cost $100-150. Most of the investor outlook is AI though, they absolutely dominate both the professional and now burgeoning consumer space (with stuff like Stable Diffusion that doesn't even run on AMD cards at all cause it leverages Cuda). AMD is always years (plural) behind Nvidia on this stuff.

Last edited:
It's like Nvidia were caught trying pull a fast one and then just shrugged and said, "yea well...it was a 4070ti all along...just thought you lot would be gullible to believe it was a 4080 so we could charge you extortionate amounts". I've been buying Nvidia for 10 years - I really want AMD to come up trumps this gen. Nvidia have become arrogant and complacent.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
4080 is the dumbest card ever. If you’re gonna pay $1200, might as well just drop the extra $400 for way better performance.

1080, 2080, and 3080 were way better value
I feel its nvidia trying to get away with this for as long as possible. Up sell everyone to 4090.

4080 should be no more than 1000 pounds and even then that's insane imo. My gaming trio x 3080 was 719 on launch day. I could understand 899 for then 4080 16gb and 999 at nvidia gouging prices but 1269 uk pounds Is just an insult to everyone. Fuck them and I am team green always but I honestly want AMD to kick ass to humble them.

Reallink

I feel its nvidia trying to get away with this for as long as possible. Up sell everyone to 4090.

4080 should be no more than 1000 pounds and even then that's insane imo. My gaming trio x 3080 was 719 on launch day. I could understand 899 for then 4080 16gb and 999 at nvidia gouging prices but 1269 uk pounds Is just an insult to everyone. Fuck them and I am team green always but I honestly want AMD to kick ass to humble them.

Nvidia have manipulated the product stack in such a way that the 4090 will never be a bad bang for buck, and the lower end cards will never be a good bang for buck comparatively. It's quite brilliant from a business perspective. The 4090 is so far beyond everything else, it's literally a generational leap ahead (likely 2 generations in the 4060's case). Historically, all the mainstream gaming series cards performed within 10% - 40% of the the top card (down to at least the XX60/XX50Ti), but here even the 4080 is seeing genuine >50% deficits Vs. 4090 in some released benchmarks. We can reasonably surmise (based on die leaks and cuda counts) that a 4060 will approximately half the 4080, potentially delivering only 25% of a 4090's performance. So you're going to have a $500 4060 producing 25% of a 4090's performance. Doesn't seem like a good value does it? Neither does a $1200 4080 producing 50% in some games. And so on and so forth.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The 4080 and the now named 4070 ti literally feel like experiments by Nvidia to see how far they can push "Nvidia tax".
They are trying to sell the 30xx cards. If they price too low then they undercut the last generation cards. AMD didn't have a glut of product in the supply chain so they just discounted the last gen cards.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They are trying to sell the 30xx cards. If they price too low then they undercut the last generation cards. AMD didn't have a glut of product in the supply chain so they just discounted the last gen cards.
This is true, and is the main reason this shut us happ3ning...but it sounds like an NVIDIA problem,we and nit an us problem.

Why should we suffer?

HoofHearted

From greedy pricing and shady model positioning to melting adapters and questionable quality control of their hardware.

Quite a clusterfuck release Jensen has created here….

At what point does the general public take note and demand better?

Top Bottom