• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti to replace canceled RTX 4080 12GB SKU, launch in Janaury

GreatnessRD

At what point does the general public take note and demand better?
It's never gonna happen. Jacket Man's mindshare is through the roof. Deservedly so, but yeah... not gonna happen. Them dropping the price was more to do with PR from the big tech tubers than anything. Even though folks know Jensen tried to pull a fast one, gonna still run out and buy that same 4080 12GB renamed to the 4070 Ti without a moments pause for $799.

EVGA GTX 1080 - £600
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - £700
Pallit RTX 3080 - £749

Those are the last three GPUs I have purchased from NVIDIA. The RTX 4080 is rumoured to be costing £1,269 here in the UK. Not quite but almost double the price of the previous generation! Absolutely outrageous!

Previously, you would expect a 20-30% increase in performance going from one generation of graphics card to the next equivalent SKU but now it seems NVIDIA expect people to pay excessively for that privellege. I suspect that the RTX 3080, great as it undoubtedly is, will be the last NVIDIA graphics card I ever buy because their pricing is just out of control in my opinion. There is no way I could justify paying almost £1,300 for a high-end GPU that will be superseded by something better within 12-18 months.

Just realised that the original MSRP of the RTX 3080 Founders Edition card on the NVIDIA site, before the scalpers and cyptomining craze drove the prices up to insane levels, was £649 so the RTX4080 is just about double the price of the previous generation card. That is absurd in my opinion and NVIDIA are clearly just taking advantage of their fanbase knowing that people will buy these cards at whatever price they set them at.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If AMD doesn’t win back major market share this generation then there’s nothing they can do. Nvidia has done so many things wrong this generation and it feels like AMD is doing almost everything right (except matching nvidia ray tracing performance).

HoofHearted

Holy Shit Fuck - they just posted pricing for 4080s on Microcenter.

Why in the world would anyone pay that much over MSRP is insane.

Dr.D00p

The need for e-peen flex posting your rig specs is strong amongst the GPU buying crowd.

Personally, acting like a moron when it comes to buying a GPU is one thing in private, but advertising the fact you're a moron to strangers on the internet, takes it to a whole new level.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Trash.

Nvidia continue to be shitheads huh.

So im guessing they wont use the 7168 AD104 on the 4070 but instead repurpose the 6144 4060Ti chip.
Meaning the 4070 even at 500 dollars would be a bad buy vs the previous generation.
QwoLw0A.png

LLmp0Qn.png

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I imagine they already have a 4070 so they had to go with TI.
It is just so they can justify the insane price.
Holy Shit Fuck - they just posted pricing for 4080s on Microcenter.

ASUS fanboys are stupid enough to pay 300 more for an OC and 350 more for the stupid ROG Strix. Oh god even the MSI ones are obnoxious. This is like what the AMD AIBs did in 2020.

The whole fucking product is just a piece of shit positioned to make people look like clowns if they buy it.

Black_Stride

Asus almost selling the 4080 strix for the 4090 MSRP. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Asus, Trust fund scum

ASUS fanboys are stupid enough to pay 300 more for an OC and 350 more for the stupid ROG Strix. Oh god even the MSI ones are obnoxious. This is like what the AMD AIBs did in 2020.

The whole fucking product is just a piece of shit positioned to make people look like clowns if they buy it.

The 4080 is a stupid card because you can find AIB 4090s for the same price as "popular" AIB 4080s and get a shit ton more performance.

Inno3D has a completely inoffensive 4090 that yes is built from cheap plastic, has a max 450W adapter, but has a thermalpad equipped backplate, decent voltage controllers and gets the job done.
Sure it doesnt look as "cool" as the Strix or Suprim but mate, for the money I would rather jump on the a "cheap" 4090 than an expensive 4080.

9800-front.jpg

proandrad

I wish AMD could just actually make a better card than nvidia, stop ignoring ray tracing performance, and not be a year behind in their upscaling technology. Until then nvidia is just competing against itself.

Black_Stride

So... This purported RTX 4070 Ti will come out before the RTX 4070. Makes perfect sense.
I dont think they want to release the 4070'10G while the 3080 still in stock.
But theyve already printed the 7680 chip so might as well use it.

If the 4070'10G is the 6144 CUDA core chip its dead on arrival, cuz that would make it only just faster than a 3070Ti.
Those things are pocket change right now.

HoofHearted

$599...right?
pfft - they'll probably start at $899 given NVIDIA's current stance on pricing.. eventually the bottom will fall out on this market with respect to pricing and it'll be a free-for-all race ...

At that point I'll buy - but until then - let them continue releasing these cards at these exorbitant prices and gain dust on the shelves..

HoofHearted

Speaking of 4080s

Yep - watched that earlier today..

Coincidentally - also saw posts on reddit that FEs were in stock at BB - so on a whim - tried to get a 4090 in my cart.. no dice, but was able to very easily get a 4080 FE in my cart to pickup tomorrow at one store near me - or next week at my regular store a little closer.

My local MCs also have non-FEs in stock as well.

Clearly the 4080 is starting to become readily available already...

Almost bought it - but decided to pass.. just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a 4080 GPU - it's something I "want" - but definitely don't "need" one. and I'm not in a rush at this point. If I'm going to drop >$1K on a GPU - then I'll just take my time to go all in on a 4090.

Especially when I think they're going to reduce in price at some point next year... *if* the 4080 FE were ~$799-899 - I'd have bought it..

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nvidia’s going to continue to learn a hard lesson if they launch a 4070ti for over $600.
That they can sell out a $1600 card as fast as they can make it as long as they don't release something that looks like better value?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
And it will sit on shelves at $899. These pricey new cards aren’t selling, so it’s Nvidia’s fault if they’re not reading the room,
I think they're doing it on purpose. They want to solidify high-end cards as being $1200-2000, and at the same time make their old 3000-series stock seem appealing.
You can thank the 7900XT for that. Zero pressure has been applied on Nvidia at the moment.
Nvidia had the $899 price point for the 4080 12GB all the way back in September. They act regardless of what AMD does.

This would be my ideal card as I usually shop in the 500-600 euro range but Nvidia naming it Ti means they're going to ask a premium for it.

Reallink

I think they're doing it on purpose. They want to solidify high-end cards as being $1200-2000, and at the same time make their old 3000-series stock seem appealing.

Nvidia had the $899 price point for the 4080 12GB all the way back in September. They act regardless of what AMD does.

High end 30-series was largely cleared out before the 4090 even launched (and is long gone now), all existing inventory is low end shit and laptop parts. They're priced where they are because they have no competition and can set it where ever they feel like.

Last edited:
This chart is skewing things. I get it, it's a percentage based on a mount of cores, but performance is not just core count.

In reality a 3060ti was equal to a 2080super in performance not between a 2060 and 2060s, as example. This doesn't account that Cuda cores aren't always equal between generations. Memory bandwidth, clock speed, and many other factors go into performance. According to this chart a 4080 is equal to a 3060 or 1070, which may be right for core count percentages but definitely not for power.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

This chart is skewing things. In reality a 3060ti was equal to a 2080super in performance not between a 2060 and 2060s, as example. This doesn't account that Cuda cores aren't always equal between generations. Memory bandwidth, clock speed, and many other factors go into performance.

Yea I don’t understand this chart at all

It’s as if a cuda core don’t evolve

4080 is drastically cut back, yet here we are, it’s trading blows with AMD’s flagship

In the end, the %cut from an architecture, doesn’t matter, it’ll depend on the foundry, node, yields, performance , etc. There’s such a thing as core stretching where you’re basically not gaining the performance linearly by having more cores. There’s a knee point and they optimize around that. A 4080 is not 53% of the 4090 performances.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s pretty easy to understand.. the 4090 is a special product. It wouldn’t have been made of the whole covid / scalper situation never happened.

It was made and put out first to gage the market reaction to the price. People ate it up so now they can greatly increase mid tier prices.

But even if it wasn’t released and they just went with 4080s the prices still would be in the $900 / $1000 range because of inflation. When I bought an fe 2080 near launch it was $800.

You really can’t compare performance because of new hardware added for RT doesn’t relate evenly across the years.

This chart is skewing things. In reality a 3060ti was equal to a 2080super in performance not between a 2060 and 2060s, as example. This doesn't account that Cuda cores aren't always equal between generations. Memory bandwidth, clock speed, and many other factors go into performance. According to this chart a 4080 is equal to a 1060, no way that can be right.
Yea I don’t understand this chart at all

It’s as if a cuda core don’t evolve

4080 is drastically cut back, yet here we are, it’s trading blows with AMD’s flagship

In the end, the %cut from an architecture, doesn’t matter, it’ll depend on the foundry, node, yields, performance , etc. There’s such a thing as core stretching where you’re basically not gaining the performance linearly by having more cores. There’s a knee point and they optimize around that. A 4080 is not 53% of the 4090 performances.

This chart is intended to show the relative gap between the cards of 1 generation. Not in anyway to compare performance. Full die is 100% and as you go down in the stack it's pretty clear what is happening with the 40 series.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

No one will convince me that AMD didn't help push Nvidia with the 4090. They saw the 6950 XT make the 3090/Ti sweat and Jensen said "OH NAH" and brought out the boom stick to ensure they would still be King with RDNA3 on the horizon. If Nvidia knew for sure AMD wouldn't compete, the 4090 would've been a 4080 ti, in my opinion. Jensen wanted it to be known that the GPU world was his and we're just living in it. Which is why the 4090 destroys everything convincingly across the board, lol.

But back onto this 4070 Ti business. I still think it'll be priced $799 as I stated in my post above. I'm assuming this chip will be on par or just below the 7900 XT priced at $900, so Nvidia may want to undercut it for continued mindshare.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this is what a (market share) monopoly looks like folks. this is what happens when the so called 'competition' doesnt do anything

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

It's almost here...

Urrrghh! I'd feel even worse about myself buying this chopped down, runt of the litter GPU than I would about buying a 4080.

Who in their right mind will hand over $800 (which is what I think it will be priced at) for this POS...

winjer

Gold Member
Urrrghh! I'd feel even worse about myself buying this chopped down, runt of the litter GPU than I would about buying a 4080.

Who in their right mind will hand over $800 (which is what I think it will be priced at) for this POS...

Without knowing prices and performance, it's impossible to evaluate a GPU.

Dr.D00p

Without knowing prices and performance, it's impossible to evaluate a GPU.

We do know its performance from Nvidia's own benchmarks when it was called a 4080, and its dogshit, for the money they want.

Changing the name without changing the specs won't change anything.

Top Bottom