• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti to replace canceled RTX 4080 12GB SKU, launch in Janaury

winjer

Gold Member
We do know its performance from Nvidia's own benchmarks when it was called a 4080, and its dogshit, for the money they want.

Changing the name without changing the specs won't change anything.

As far as we know they might have changed clocks, memory speed, etc.
And we don't have any indication on the price.

Of course considering NVidia's recent releases, it's probably going to be a terrible value GPU. But we still don't actually know for sure.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Urrrghh! I'd feel even worse about myself buying this chopped down, runt of the litter GPU than I would about buying a 4080.

Who in their right mind will hand over $800 (which is what I think it will be priced at) for this POS...
I think CES and/or GTC is gonna be when Nvidia finally realizes they fucked up and fixes things.

4090 - fuck you money
4080'20G - $1200 - $1300 (probably called the Ti)
4080 - $900 - $1000
4070Ti - $700 - $800
4070 - $500 (wishful thinking I know but let me dream, its so smol)
4060Ti - if its actually 8GB and not 10GB they shouldnt even bother.
4060 - probably wont bother releasing this card.

Yes everything is still approx 100 dollars too expensive, but its alot more reasonable that what Nvidia is doing right now.
Considering the 3070Ti was 600 dollars, 7-800 dollars for a 4070Ti doesnt sound too bad.
q3e9Taz.png

As far as we know they might have changed clocks, memory speed, etc.
And we don't have any indication on the price.

Of course considering NVidia's recent releases, it's probably going to be a terrible value GPU. But we still don't actually know for sure.
One of the AIBs already leaked the details and it was identical to the 4080'12G.
Ill have to search to find the link.

Last edited:

Reallink

Urrrghh! I'd feel even worse about myself buying this chopped down, runt of the litter GPU than I would about buying a 4080.

Who in their right mind will hand over $800 (which is what I think it will be priced at) for this POS...

It's $900 as far as we know, and AIBs will add another $100 - $250 on top of that. The Strix should be $1150.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's $900 as far as we know, and AIBs will add another $100 - $250 on top of that. The Strix should be $1150.
No way Nvidia prices it the same as the 4080'12G
The reason they "unlaunched" the card wasnt just because of the naming, but because it was priced way too high for the performance levels it offers.
Their own benchmarks have it: (ignore the 4090 plagues tale graph)
JMdnqA3.png

IoTcQDd.png

Its gonna be trading blows(probably losing at higher resolutions) with the 3080'12G and Ti which you can get brand new for ~800 dollars.
The card will have to be 7-800 dollars to even make sense.

Reallink

The reason they "unlaunched" the card wasnt just because of the naming, but because it was priced way too high for the performance levels it offers.
JMdnqA3.png

IoTcQDd.png

Its gonna be trading blows(probably losing at higher resolutions) with the 3080'12G and Ti which you can get brand new for ~800 dollars.

I'm assuming you haven't actually looked for 3080, Ti's, and 3090's for like a couple months. They're gone, and have been for quite some time now. You may find 1 or 2 straggler SKU's in stock somewhere, but 95% of their volume is sold out, certainly nowhere near enough to act as an alternative to the 4070Ti. If this long rumored "surplus" ever existed in the high end desktop parts, Nvidia has clearly destroyed the chips by now.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What’s the point in looking at raster performance when most new triple A games will come with DLSS 3?
Dlss is not always better than native.

Spending close to 1000 dollars and not being able to even do some native 4k stuff would be fucking bad.

Also, not everyone love to use the new frame insertion stuff in dlss 3.

Last edited:

proandrad

Spending close to 1000 dollars and not being able to even do some native 4k stuff would be fucking bad.

I might be out of the loop on this one but could you name a game where 4K native is better than dlss quality.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I might be out of the loop on this one but could you name a game where 4K native is better than dlss quality.
I don't remember the names but sometimes dlss has some ghosting that is not present in 4k native, sometimes you can solve a bit (or entirely) by updating the dlss version of the game, but sometimes it's not a matter of version.

I personally always use dlss (quality if i can) because i have a 2070 super, but with a 4080 in many games i'm gonna test both native and dlss quality to see which is better.

you can probably find some games that for certain details look better in 4k native over dlss with a fast search on reddit.

I mean, it is still a reconstruction technique, even if it involve AI.

P.s. in my post i was not talking about dlss in his entirety, just the frame insertion thing, the dlss as a whole tech has to many advantages to discuss minor artifacts and shit, i'm a big dlss believer, just not a blind one.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Outside of the 4090 this has to be one of the worst performance increases from a new generation of cards.
Not true. the performance uplift from 3080 to 4080 is very big. It's just people hating it because of its price. and the fact that 4090 feels like a next-gen to the 4080.

seriously. if you have the cash, just get 4090. it's not really even close to anything else in the market. otherwise, just stick with your 3080 / 3090. unless you can sell that 3090 for 900$ then the 4080 doesn't sound bad of an upgrade as 1200$

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
4070ti that is not even faster than fastest GPU of previous gen, which was usual for normal xx70 (NON TI) cards.
That remains to be seen. In theory it should still beat a 3090 but there are questions when it comes to memory and bandwidth.

Bojji

That remains to be seen. In theory it should still beat a 3090 but there are questions when it comes to memory and bandwidth.

But 3070 was usually faster than 2080ti and 1070 was faster than 980ti, only shit increase was 2070 compared to 1080ti but it was all about ray tracing back then.

So we should compare it to 3090ti not standard version.

FireFly

But 3070 was usually faster than 2080ti and 1070 was faster than 980ti, only shit increase was 2070 compared to 1080ti but it was all about ray tracing back then.

So we should compare it to 3090ti not standard version.
Both the 2080 Ti and 980 Ti were cut down GPUs though, with the full GPU being shipped in the "Titan" product. Where as the 3090 Ti is the full GPU and is $500 more expensive than the 3090. So I think it makes more sense to consider the 3090 Ti a cut-price Titan tier card.

Last edited:

Banned
AMD just has more value for the dollar.

that's not really the case tho.
especially as more and more titles support Raytracing, AMD's cards dropped in value imo.

even the lowest end Nvidia cards with RT acceleration can get playable and decently looking settings with raytracing enabled.

DLSS 2 and their far superior RT hardware make them punch way above their competition.

there are games that run better on an RTX2050, Nvidia's lowest end RT accelerated card, than on most of AMD's 6000 series cards

Topher

Gold Member
You think a ~50% performance increase for a 70% price increase makes the 4080 a success?

oh.k

Don't think he was factoring in price, just performance. The general consensus is that the 4080 MSRP is overpriced. That doesn't change the fact of how it performs.

Topher

Gold Member
..which is still sub par.

There was a bigger increase when I went from a 2080 to 3080, 60%+

Sure, just saying that is a different point than what was being made. To your argument, the upgrade to 4080 certainly isn't as compelling as the upgrade from 2080 to 3080 at the current price point.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is the first time I'm considering getting a AMD card since the ATI days. AMD just has more value for the dollar.
In terms of pure rasterized performance per dollar, perhaps, but we're not living in that world anymore. DLSS and Ray-Tracing features (and especially the two of those in conjunction with each other) are changing what the high end looks like. The days of just chasing resolution are over.

s-bojan

Banned
If you are cpu bound (and it seems that we often will be), you dont have a choice.
Dlss3 is a game changer as it gives you an option if the port is bad.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If you are cpu bound (and it seems that we often will be), you wont have a choice.
When you say cpu bound, do you mean for framerates over 60? because i'm actually ok with 4k60.

Can you make an example of recent games with this problem?

Take into account that i have a 13600k, not exactly a slouch.

Last edited:

s-bojan

Banned
Witcher 3 is really cpu bound.
I’ve also upgraded from 8700k to 13600k and it helped me a lot in most games.
But even fastest cpu today is not fast enough for w3. With dlss3 you don’t have that issue anymore.
Callisto Protocol is another example, but it does not have dlss support.

I am using 3070 now and I have 2 reasons to upgrade - not enough vram and dlss3 support. I might buy 4070ti if the price is not insane.

Leonidas

4070 Ti could end up faster than 3090 Ti at 1440p though. 1440p high refresh seems to be a popular PC gaming resolution.

I think $800 is the lowest they'd go, sadly... and if so I'll be sitting this round out, first time ever since getting into PCs.

//DEVIL//

I think CES and/or GTC is gonna be when Nvidia finally realizes they fucked up and fixes things.

4090 - fuck you money
4080'20G - $1200 - $1300 (probably called the Ti)
4080 - $900 - $1000
4070Ti - $700 - $800
4070 - $500 (wishful thinking I know but let me dream, its so smol)
4060Ti - if its actually 8GB and not 10GB they shouldnt even bother.
4060 - probably wont bother releasing this card.

Yes everything is still approx 100 dollars too expensive, but its alot more reasonable that what Nvidia is doing right now.
Considering the 3070Ti was 600 dollars, 7-800 dollars for a 4070Ti doesnt sound too bad.
q3e9Taz.png

One of the AIBs already leaked the details and it was identical to the 4080'12G.
Ill have to search to find the link.
If you think for second Nvidia will lower the price of the 4080 and to an extent, the 4070ti from the official old price of the 4080, then you are sadly mistaken. Nvidia is like Apple, all they need to do is stop making 4090 for couple of months, all the stock of 4080 will be gone. which is what is happening to be honest as its almost impossible to get a 4090 at all. especially here in Canada ever since the release date, no card was restocked.

HoofHearted

If you think for second Nvidia will lower the price of the 4080 and to an extent, the 4070ti from the official old price of the 4080, then you are sadly mistaken. Nvidia is like Apple, all they need to do is stop making 4090 for couple of months, all the stock of 4080 will be gone. which is what is happening to be honest as its almost impossible to get a 4090 at all. especially here in Canada ever since the release date, no card was restocked.
Well - I wouldn't be too surprised to see them drop the price within the next 3-6 months - There's been several restocks on 4080s here in the US (online at BB and also a few models available at my local MCs).

I've had the FE in my cart with a delivery/pickup date within a week a few times this past week and almost pulled the trigger - as there are discounts available via BB as well - but have decided to hold off a bit to see if they do bring down the price a bit. BB currently has all of the 4080s showing as available to order currently ... so either there's a lot of stock or, there's just not that much interest at the current price (or combination of both).

Spending > $1k on a card that is essentially a "hobby" is a hard pill to swallow in my book especially considering what I originally paid for my 2080 FE a few years ago and, to add to that, I would also need to upgrade a few other things in order to fully take advantage of the 4080 capabilities.

Don't get me wrong - they're "selling" but they're not selling anywhere near the same rate as the 4090 (which appears to be still hard to find - but admittedly - I'm not looking to buy that card at that price range any time soon anyway).

I can certainly buy one.. but I can also buy many other things for that price that are much more useful.

IF they were to reduce the 4080 to around $900-1k (preferably $800) - I'd probably already have bought one by now.....

//DEVIL//

Well - I wouldn't be too surprised to see them drop the price within the next 3-6 months - There's been several restocks on 4080s here in the US (online at BB and also a few models available at my local MCs).

I've had the FE in my cart with a delivery/pickup date within a week a few times this past week and almost pulled the trigger - as there are discounts available via BB as well - but have decided to hold off a bit to see if they do bring down the price a bit. BB currently has all of the 4080s showing as available to order currently ... so either there's a lot of stock or, there's just not that much interest at the current price (or combination of both).

Spending > $1k on a card that is essentially a "hobby" is a hard pill to swallow in my book especially considering what I originally paid for my 2080 FE a few years ago and, to add to that, I would also need to upgrade a few other things in order to fully take advantage of the 4080 capabilities.

Don't get me wrong - they're "selling" but they're not selling anywhere near the same rate as the 4090 (which appears to be still hard to find - but admittedly - I'm not looking to buy that card at that price range any time soon anyway).

I can certainly buy one.. but I can also buy many other things for that price that are much more useful.

IF they were to reduce the 4080 to around $900-1k (preferably $800) - I'd probably already have bought one by now.....
I have never said it's cheap. I have the FE 4090 and I paid so much money for it. but like you said it's a hobby and it's my main one when I have time. But I still wouldn't see Nvidia at least officially dropping the price on an FE card. they might lower the price for AIB cards so they lower the price too. But as Nvidia itself admits their pricing is high and lower it officially after release? not gonna happen. Not till the 5000 series is almost here or if they decided to release the 4090ti for the same price as the 4090, then they will lower the price for the 4090 and 4080 accordingly ( just like how they did later with the 3090ti, 3090, and the 3080ti but even then, they only did couple of months before the 4000 series lol ). but they didn't lower the price of the other cards. I also highly doubt the 4090ti will be a 1600$ card either. its gonna be 2000$ for sure.

Again, the 4090ti isn't aimed at you or me. It's aimed at the guys with lots of money who want the best even if it's for a short period of time. the type of people that shit money and 2000$ is like 20$ to us.

People's problem with the 4080 is in its name associated with its price. if the 4090 was called 4090 ti and the 4080 was called 4090, people would be all over it " OH MY GOD NVIDIA IS THE BEST 4090 for 1200 ONLY, AND ITS 50% FASTER THAN 3090TI BUT MUCH CHEAPER NVIDIA ARE GODS GAME OVER AMD "

As it stands, the 4080 is a supreme card and top-of-the-line card for any 4k 60+ title. let alone DLSS and frame generation ( even if FG 1.0 isn't great to some, it will only get better with the upcoming updates, however, I played spider man with frame generation..I didn't feel any input lag but I felt the double frames )

To each his own. But honestly, if you can afford the 4090, go for it. if you can afford the 4080, go for it. I will never recommend AMD 7900xtx over 4080 no matter what. let alone the huge mistake T Topper was about to make by buying a 7900XT. man dodged a bullet -_-

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Lol no. 4080 is 50% faster than a 3080. 20% faster than a 3090 ti. So no?
1080 to 2080 = 39% perf jump.
2080 to 3080 = 63% perf jump.
3080 to 4080 = 42% perf jump.

All numbers taken from TPU GPU database.

The 4080, not including price, is the 2080 all over again.
I remember people were shitting all over nvidia because of the low jump from the 10xx series, they have done it again with the 4080 but somehow its fine? sure man.

Reallink

The 4090 is still not, and has never been, available. Sub-1-minute sellouts for literally every single restock since launch, on every single model. I don't understand why Nvidia is wasting a single wafer on 4080's or 4070's when an even higher margin product is miles away from meeting the demand.

Last edited:

DW74

I'm not in love with any of the new parts that have dropped. Everything is too hot, and/or too power hungry, and/or too expensive. PC gaming becoming a boutique hobby, it seems.

Only thing I know for sure is that leather jacket man is never, and I mean never, getting another red cent from me. He loved that scalper money and is resetting the pricing for the entire industry to try and maintain it (Lisa couldn't resist this time either). And he can fuck right off. I make good money, but I'll buy a goddamn console before I spend a grand on a video card.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Very interested in seeing the fake 4080 and its unveil at CES. If the rumors are true and its 5% faster than the 3090 Ti, AMD will be forced to finally drop the price of the 7900 XT. Seeing as the 7900 XT is only about 9% better than the 3090 Ti. Unless Jensen continues going for the throat on pricing and keep the fake 4080 at $899, of course. This generation has truly been disgusting, lol.

Dr.D00p

AMD will be forced to finally drop the price of the 7900 XT.

They won't be forced to do it, It was the plan all along.

That $899 price tag of the XT already had an early adopter (at least) $100 price tax included in it, just waiting to be knocked off once Nvidia launched the 4070Ti.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not in love with any of the new parts that have dropped. Everything is too hot, and/or too power hungry, and/or too expensive. PC gaming becoming a boutique hobby, it seems.

The 4090 is the quietest, coolest and most power efficient GPU I've ever owned, and I've had gaming PC's since 2005.

thuGG_pl

The 4090 is the quietest, coolest and most power efficient GPU I've ever owned, and I've had gaming PC's since 2005.

That's a bit of a false truth for lack of better words. Todays top PC draws waaaay more power than PCs from the past. I remember when usually 350W - 400W PSU was enough for top dog (and less for even older machines), now you need 850W-1000W.
So yeah, you can come up with clever maths, that proves that W per teraflop is better today, but it doesn't change the fact that you draw roughly 2x more power from the wall.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
That's a bit of a false truth for lack of better words. Todays top PC draws waaaay more power than PCs from the past. I remember when usually 350W - 400W PSU was enough for top dog (and less for even older machines), now you need 850W-1000W.
So yeah, you can come up with clever maths, that proves that W per teraflop is better today, but it doesn't change the fact that you draw roughly 2x power from the wall.

Performance per watt is better than its ever been, no need to get "creative" about anything, it's just a fact.

If someone doesn't need that performance then they can apply a power limit or simply purchase a card further down the stack (4080 or below).

thuGG_pl

Performance per watt is better than its ever been, no need to get "creative" about anything, it's just a fact.

If someone doesn't need that performance then they can apply a power limit or simply purchase a card further down the stack (4080 or below).
Read my post again. You are so happy that perf per wat is so much better, but you take 2-3x more power from the socket. Hurray!

For me it comes down to this: 10 years ago I played top graphics games using 300W, now to play top graphics games I use 600W. Progress.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Read my post again. You are so happy that perf per wat is so much better, but you take 2-3x more power from the socket. Hurray!

For me it comes down to this: 10 years ago I played top graphics games using 300W, now to play top graphics games I use 600W. Progress.

Strange way of looking at things. Power connectors are now more efficient and allow for higher capacity than they once did, power supplies are similarly more power efficient and powerful for less cost than they once were. There's also more demand for higher performce parts than there ever has been.

They could easily artificially limit things and make the 70/80 cards the "flagship" models and then you could feel good about getting the "best" card that tops out at 300w, but why should they?

thuGG_pl

Strange way of looking at things. Power connectors are now more efficient and allow for higher capacity than they once did, power supplies are similarly more power efficient and powerful for less cost than they once were. There's also more demand for higher performce parts than there ever has been.

They could easily artificially limit things and make the 70/80 cards the "flagship" models and then you could feel good about getting the "best" card that tops out at 300w, but why should they?

Strange looking at things. The real measure is what you draw from the socket and what power bill you will pay (especially with todays power prices). You can say that PSUs are more efficent etc. BUT you won't use 400W PSU for you 4090 will you? ;) The power draw went nuts in recent years and the PSU efficency won't change that.

And it's not that I'm some kind of green peace activist, I also have powerful PC on the upgrade. But in all that talk how efficent we are today, we are forgetting that we actually multiplied the power draw by 2-3x.

Last edited:

Zathalus

The GTX 480 or 580 could draw around 300W, the 4090 now sits at 400W, if you drop to the 4080 you are at or under 300W again.

If you undervolt or power limit the 4090 you can get around 300W with only loosing a few % of performance.

Current top cards are pushed to the limits because that is what most gamers care for, but if you simply limit them you can drastically lower power consumption but not loose that much performance.

thuGG_pl

The GTX 480 or 580 could draw around 300W, the 4090 now sits at 400W, if you drop to the 4080 you are at or under 300W again.

If you undervolt or power limit the 4090 you can get around 300W with only loosing a few % of performance.

Current top cards are pushed to the limits because that is what most gamers care for, but if you simply limit them you can drastically lower power consumption but not loose that much performance.
I know that, I also know that at some point I had 350W PSU, now I have 850W.

GHG

Gold Member
I know that, I also know that at some point I had 350W PSU, now I have 850W.

And what resolutions and framerates were you gaming at with that 350w psu. If you insist on going down this road then keep everything as it was back when you had that 350w psu and see how much wattage it takes to drive whatever display you had at the time to the max.

If you insist you can still have a 350w PSU now and have orders of magnitude more performance now compared to when you last had a 350w psu.

And it's not that I'm some kind of green peace activist, I also have powerful PC on the upgrade. But in all that talk how efficent we are today, we are forgetting that we actually multiplied the power draw by 2-3x.

Both are true. Just because the higher power draw products now exist it doesn't mean you have to use them.

thuGG_pl

And what resolutions and framerates were you gaming at with that 350w psu. If you insist on going down this road then keep everything as it was back when you had that 350w psu and see how much wattage it takes to drive whatever display you had at the time to the max.

If you insist you can still have a 350w PSU now and have orders of magnitude more performance now compared to when you last had a 350w psu.

Both are true. Just because the higher power draw products now exist it doesn't mean you have to use them.
The top resolutions at the time :p As I do now.
I guess you have a point, doesn't change the fact that nobody does what you say. 99% of gamers simply use way more power now. So it is a valid point, but not realistic one.

Last edited:

Sanepar

1080 to 2080 = 39% perf jump.
2080 to 3080 = 63% perf jump.
3080 to 4080 = 42% perf jump.

All numbers taken from TPU GPU database.

The 4080, not including price, is the 2080 all over again.
I remember people were shitting all over nvidia because of the low jump from the 10xx series, they have done it again with the 4080 but somehow its fine? sure man.
You are wrong.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gainward-geforce-rtx-4080-phantom-gs/31.html
52% faster in game average.

Top Bottom