• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 listed by UK retailer, price starts at £1450

Draugoth

Gold Member

PALIT GeForce RTX 4080 GameRock series now listed in UK for £1450

The RTX 4080 may cost a lot more than official MSRP.

PALIT-RTX4080-HERO-BANNER-1200x479.jpg

NVIDIA announced its RTX 4080 16GB card at $1199 (£1269) which should be the price for the Founders Edition and the cheapest board partner designs. Nearly 3 weeks away from the official launch of new Ada SKU, we can now see that UK retailers will ask for an extra 180 pounds sterling.

Palit RTX 4080 GameRock series, featuring three models all with 16GB VRAM are now listed by LaptopsDirect. This retailer expects you to pay at least £1450 for the cheapest model, all the way up to £1530 for the most premium design by Palit. That’s significantly more than NVIDIA MSRP.

The first thing we did was to check on RTX 4090 pricing at this and other retailers. Unfortunately, despite the official MSRP for the flagship Ada GPU being 1679 GBP, the cheapest models you can find in stock in the UK are at £1950. The same price is listed by LaptopDirect, meaning this RTX 4080 pricing may actually be more accurate than we typically expect from early listings.

Last edited:

skneogaf

The palit 4090 cards are £400 ish over priced compared to the founders edition so it will be overpriced for now.

MacReady13

Serious question- I’m a console gamer and, for the last year or so I’ve been wanting to build a gaming PC. I waited though until the 4000 series cards arrived. Seeing now as they are absolutely stupidly priced, am I fine and better off going for a 3000 series card? The 3000 series will see me through this console gen, surely? I’d be looking at maybe a 3070ti-3080ti and going from there building my PC. Just not too keen on spending over $2000 Aussie dollars for a 4080 16gb card next month.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Serious question- I’m a console gamer and, for the last year or so I’ve been wanting to build a gaming PC. I waited though until the 4000 series cards arrived. Seeing now as they are absolutely stupidly priced, am I fine and better off going for a 3000 series card? The 3000 series will see me through this console gen, surely? I’d be looking at maybe a 3070ti-3080ti and going from there building my PC. Just not too keen on spending over $2000 Aussie dollars for a 4080 16gb card next month.
Been thinking the same and building one of those tiny ITX towers

The cheaper 4000 cards will be released eventually when Nvidia has gotten rid of their 3000 cards. We don’t know when that is but presumably sometime next year, and we don’t know how they will be priced. Buying a 3000 series card now is perfectly reasonable, though I would suggest a 3080 with 12 or at least 10 GB rather than the stingy 8 GB of the 3070 ti. But whatever you do, you should at least wait and see what happens on the AMD RDNA3 reveal on Nov 3.

MacReady13

The cheaper 4000 cards will be released eventually when Nvidia has gotten rid of their 3000 cards. We don’t know when that is but presumably sometime next year, and we don’t know how they will be priced. Buying a 3000 series card now is perfectly reasonable, though I would suggest a 3080 with 12 or at least 10 GB rather than the stingy 8 GB of the 3070 ti. But whatever you do, you should at least wait and see what happens on the AMD RDNA3 reveal on Nov 3.
I’ve waited this long I may as well give AMD the benefit of the doubt and wait. But if they shit the bed, I’ll be going the 3080ti as I can’t find the 12gb 3080’s anymore.

FingerBang

It's simple, what is your target resolution/framerate?

If you aim for something like 1440p@144hz, absolutely get a 3080 or, depending on the price, a 3090. I would even consider a used card, since prices have collapsed.

The 4080 16GB is just stupid and the future 4070 won't be priced in a way that makes it more alluring than the 3090.

The only 40xx card that makes sense buying is the 4090 at MSRP, which doesn't seem to be possible anyway.

OZ9000

Banned
3080Ti would be a decent buy. Not sure what your target framerate/resolution is. Should be enough for 4K60.

Thebonehead

Banned
The UK retailers are gouging on the official MSRP.

Scan had 4090s in stock for a few days as they were a couple of hundred more than they should be. Edit. They're still in stock there. Thought they would have gone by now. There since Thursday

Not as bad as scummy overclockers overchargers though

Last edited:

TheGecko

Banned

Scan had 4090s in stock for a few days as they were a couple of hundred more than they should be.

Overshitters know its target users, same as their forums all jumped up tossers.

I infiltrated their mod team last year and you should see the shit they get upto behind closed doors. They still don't know 😎

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The 4090 is actually the better "deal".

This 4080 card is almost 2.4 times more expensive than the 3080 for maybe 40% more performance.
And imagine Nvidia were honestly going to try sell the 4080'12G for 900 starting price.
Their "4070" was going to be as weak as a 3070Ti...basically no gen on gen upgrade.
The 4090 is the only good deal in the stack.

IoTcQDd.png

FingerBang

Scan had 4090s in stock for a few days as they were a couple of hundred more than they should be. Edit. They're still in stock there. Thought they would have gone by now. There since Thursday

I noticed this two.

A bunch of Palit and Zotac available for £1950/2000.

There's plenty of them, you can get one right away. They're milking it until they can, but as I and many others have said before:

1) There is no shortage of chips
2) There is no high demand for cards

I'm not buying one for a pound more than MSRP. They can all collectively go fuck themselves with those prices.

Sybrix

£1450.....................................................£1450.......?!

Are you fucking serious Nvidia?!

It's not even about having the money or not, £1450 for a 4080 is a frigging insane price, I've purchased cards previously at launch and normally go for the xx80 range, i'm happy to drop £700-£800 max on a card.

But fucking £1450 for not even the top tier card is insanity, you got to be mentally deranged to pay that and not think its a waste of money.

You can buy a PS5, an Xbox Series X and an OLED Switch and still have £200 left over for games for the price your paying for a 4080 - Based on this alone, someone argue to me how it's better to get a 4080 over all new consoles at once?

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
£1450.....................................................£1450.......?

It's not even about having the money or not, £1450 for a 4080 is a frigging insane price, I've purchased cards previously at launch and normally go for the xx80 range, i'm happy to drop £700-£800 max on a card.

But fucking £1450 for not even the top tier card is insanity, you got to be mentally deranged to pay that and not think its a waste of money.

You can buy a PS5, an Xbox Series X and an OLED Switch and still have £200 left over for games for the price your paying for a 4080 - Based on this alone, someone argue to me how it's better to get a 4080 over all new consoles at once?
Don't forget this is the retailers price gouging, and judging how the 4090's are still in stock after several days at Scan at inflated prices, they may be stuck with said stock if they keep this up.

People may also be waiting for AMD to show it's hand this Thursday before parting with cash ( On the 4090's )

I'm not buying one for a pound more than MSRP. They can all collectively go fuck themselves with those prices.
With you on this one.

Sybrix

I'm not someone who's up to date with Nvidia news every year, im still rocking a GTX 1080 and was planning to upgrade to a 3080 last year and will still do so at some point.

But now there is no chip shortage, Crypto farming is dead, apparently their are a flood of 30XX cards on the market now so why the fuck are these cards so god damn expensive?

Haggard

Banned
so why the fuck are these cards so god damn expensive?
Because they expected to be able to sell literally everything at any price.....then mining crashed. And suddenly they are sitting on warehouses full of ampere cards and a new gen on their hands that they have to price in a way which makes 2 year old ampere cards at MSRP look attractive.....
AMD is in a similar position so I´d not expect adequately priced RDNA 3 cards either.

TheGecko

Banned

Never under estimate the PCMR.

Midn1ght

What a shit deal. I guess that's a one way to clean up 3XXX stock...
Can't speak for other market but here it's not doing anything. a 3080 is still over 900€, 3080 ti around 1200 and 3090 ti over 1500€
Retailers just straight up refuse to let them go cheap, they just priced the 4090 over 2500€ with two middle fingers as a bonus.

It's a shit show. Hope AMD can clear this mess but I'm not optimistic.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Can't speak for other market but here it's not doing anything. a 3080 is still over 900€, 3080 ti around 1200 and 3090 ti over 1500€
Retailers just straight up refuse to let them go cheap, they just priced the 4090 over 2500€ with two middle fingers as a bonus.

It's a shit show. Hope AMD can clear this mess but I'm not optimistic.
If retailers are at fault, then AMD won't probably solve that.

ClosBSAS

Meh, I guess I'll use my mining money, I mean I could to buy a few 4090s but I'm not giving Nvidia shit just yet. Gonna wait for lower prices, 3080ti is more than enough for this gen.

OZ9000

Banned

GPU pricing is honestly retarded as fuck.

I have no idea how much these GPUs cost but we're seeing massive increases in costs year on.

I remember I got my RTX 2080 for £560. What a bargain in comparison!

The RRP for the 3080 was also "good value" at £649

SLB1904

Banned

Funny you mentioned that. I bought the tuf 3080 ti 12gb oc for £965 from amazon last Thursday I guess it was a price error. Because now is showing £1400 At the time I had no clue how cheap it was lol
Rare W
RavRqdw.jpg

Gaiff

Gold Member
Lol GG to the CAD retail price.
Canadians pay roughly the same price as Americans when accounting for exchange rate. The Zotac 4090 in Canada is $2189 which is $1602 USD, so right about the MSRP. That card costs a whopping 2000 pounds. Even accounting for VAT and taxes, Canadians pay way less for computer parts than most European countries.

Top Bottom