• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia hits 1 trillion market value

Buggy Loop

Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

And it’s not because of gaming sales. This craziness is all about AI.

Wether that will stabilize or not, who knows, but it’s the first chipmaker to ever hit that value.

You were wondering why Nvidia is being cheap on VRAM? It’s not because of BOM costs, it’s that it has better value being used to sell AI servers.

Linus’ video of their computex is pretty telling, the gaming booth is a joke.

I think the push to cloud based gaming will be even stronger in future, probably by raising GPU prices even higher. You’re wasting them potential revenue, because while you’re at work not gaming, that power could be used to sell computing services.

It’s pretty dire.

Intel and AMD also have strong focus on AI in their presentations to the point where amazing/google/Microsoft/Nvidia/Intel/AMD it’s a running joke to guess how many times they’ll drop AI mention to hype up investors.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
You’re wasting them potential revenue, because while you’re at work not gaming, that power could be used to sell computing services.
But I am not using any resources when my console/pc is turned off.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They need some damn competition. I’ve sort of given up on AMD, but I think Intel has the opportunity to really eat their lunch in the ~$300 range if their second gen GPUs are decent

hlm666

Linus’ video of their computex is pretty telling, the gaming booth is a joke.
I said in another thread here this AI boom is going to see nvidia start to move away from consumer gpus, They will do geforce now and AI will be their primary focus. Maybe take them 10 years to completely drop consumers gpus but we will see bottom end lower margin cards disappear over the years.

Jensen can buy a lot of leather jackets now.

Don't worry this is all temporary, it will slowly start sliding down once the AI boom calms down. Same shit happened during the dot com era.
Yeah, I think eventually it will calm down. I wonder if Nvidia can reach 1.5T while that happening though.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

But I am not using any resources when my console/pc is turned off.

But you’re not generating them money

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

Compute capable hardware not computing is a loss for them. They’ll ramp up prices. Just you watch. Gaming margin is a joke to them now. Silicon wafers and VRAM will be generating them more money for AI than you trying to run assassins creed clone #25

LordOfChaos

Nvidia is an amazing company with a bright future and a smart leader. AI will be increasingly big over time.

At the same time, I'm predicting it'll also be true that anyone paying over 200x PE for Nvidia right now is going to be bagholding when smart money moves on and everyone realizes too many billions were assigned to market cap years too early in the AI S curve. They gained over two AMD's of market cap, while they have a near monopoly on ML training on GPUs, that's ludicrous.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The great GPU shortage 1 = crypto becomes a thing (during pascal)
The great GPU shortage 2 = crypto becomes even bigger AND everyone is stuck at home due to the pandemic (during ampere)
The great GPU shortage 3 = everyone wants to get into A.I.? (soon?)

Last edited:

hinch7

Nvidia cashing in on FOMO once again. Not surprised, big tech companies are heavily investing in Ai. Bad news for gamers though.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Nvidia is an amazing company with a bright future and a smart leader. AI will be increasingly big over time.

At the same time, I'm predicting it'll also be true that anyone paying over 200x PE for Nvidia right now is going to be bagholding when smart money moves on and everyone realizes too many billions were assigned to market cap years too early in the AI S curve. They gained over two AMD's of market cap, while they have a near monopoly on ML training on GPUs, that's ludicrous.
You know what time it is? Time to buy puts.

Puscifer

I think I'll skip Pc upgrade and switch to cloud and consoles completely.
I mean I don't blame you, Nvidia Is pretty much telling anyone with a brain as long as enterprise keeps sucking up these cards for data center processing in bulk they aren't going anywhere.

The only reason I bought a 4080 was because I had a lot of retro stuff I was holding onto and it felt pointless holding onto stuff that felt like it was *owning* me.

The guy who bought it all is having a great time and I'm happy for him. But damn does it feel good to just have a PC and my PS5.

DosGamer

Trillion dollars... get the fuck outta here with that... really? The gap between the poor and the wealthy is growing too wide. This is the start/ continuation of the collapse of modern day society.

Don't worry this is all temporary, it will slowly start sliding down once the AI boom calms down. Same shit happened during the dot com era.
Unlike fads (e.g. metaverse, shitcoins, nfts), AI is actually a huge revolution with tangible impacts on the vast majority of industries. Just look at practical applications. Also the .com era open the way to the internet of today and having the majority of white collar jobs done electronically. It completely changed the world economy we had in the 90's and before.

DosGamer

Speaking of AI, I swear I feel like some of the commercials I have been seeing online while streaming seem AI generated. They seem fine at first and then there is an oddity that you cant explain.
I wonder if there are already commercial companies already doing this?

Ozriel

M$FT
They don't? AMD isn't in the business of pushing AI and the further nvidia leans away from gaming the more AMD profits.

Not about that.
The more money NVIDiA makes, the more they can devote to R&D and push their GPUs as the defacto PC GPUs.

How does AMD compete against a rival with what could well be multiple times their R&D budget, is what I’m driving at

ahtlas7

Nvidia able to capitalize on ai from game makers plus gamers graphics card purchase. I’m not sure how I feel about what they have become. Singular dominance never ends well.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

I personally don't believe the AI revolution is a drill but time will tell.

Elios83

So they replaced mining with AI.
Their business focus will shift to highly profitable AI powered data centers, their main clients will become huge companies and not normal consumers and in the PC gaming business they will continue to sell boards with crazy prices and the bare minimum of VRAM because they just won't care. There is no competition able to put enough pressure on them.

Your GPU prices aren't going down, gamers. If anything they should go up more.

As long as my NVDA stock keeps going up, I can afford the new video card though, so it's a win-win for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom