• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia is basically a giant advertisement for AMD at this point.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Eh they are doing this because AMD has dropped the ball for almost a decade. At the end of the day, they know that they will have a better product. Yes, they are charging premium but like Apple, that premium typically translates into quality just like Apple products.

Now the price gouging and deceptive 4070 (or even 4060) pricing has the potential to backfire but currently, I dont know anyone here who wouldve picked up a 6800xt over a 3080. DLSS is just that and there is no comparison when it comes to ray tracing performance which should become the norm going forward.

Oh and AMD also inflated their prices. The $450 6700xt was always in stock at Microcenter and yet they kept it at $899 banking on GPU starved consumers to come in and make a bad impulse purchase. To me, thats just as disgusting as what Nvidia is doing. AMD had an amazing opportunity to continue to sell these GPUs at MSRP where they wouldve become a far better value compared to Nvidia cards that were going for a $500 markup. But AMD simply decided to markup their own cards instead of selling them to buyers for an affordable price that they themselves set at the RDNA2 reveal.

Agreed on AMD marking up their cards as well, and half assing new cards. But the prior gen, the 5700XT was a fantastic card for $400.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
If you want the best tech you're going to pay. Amd is likely to be behind yet again in performance. Buy the objectively worse card brand if you want.

b0uncyfr0

AMD just needs a card that beats the 4080 (16Gb version) in rasterization - especially at 1440p and 4k. People who game at 1080p dont spend this kinda money usually.

Something new with FSR would help, and Raytracing has to be close if not match the 3 series performance.

All that for $700 or max $750 and it would sell very very well. Now , what are the chances they actually do this - i'd say about 30%.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Strange logic

I too find these prices to be insane, but a 3060 Ti would still cover most of your needs (especially compared to consoles) for the gen. Why create a nonexistant problem by aiming for the newest generation's top tier cards, but go back to consoles if prices are "hundreds" away from what's there.

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Meh. If I'm paying a four figure sum on a PC then I want a top tier card.

I was also going to upgrade my S to a X at some point anyway.

OZ9000

Banned
Strange logic

I too find these prices to be insane, but a 3060 Ti would still cover most of your needs (especially compared to consoles) for the gen. Why create a nonexistant problem by aiming for the newest generation's top tier cards, but go back to consoles if prices are "hundreds" away from what's there.

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
I think most here want a card which can deliver 4k60 at a reasonable cost. The 3060 Ti simply matches the PS5 and Xbox in both performance (and price). That's really not good enough.

Crayon

If you want the best tech you're going to pay. Amd is likely to be behind yet again in performance. Buy the objectively worse card brand if you want.

If I'm not spending $1600, I'm not gettting the best. That actually seems to be a big sore spot for a lot of pc gamers, but I digress. I'm just not spending that so the 4090 doesn't mean much to me. I'm wainting to see the fps/$ when the mid cards launch.

I've been bitter towards AMD since The Saboteur came out. I had a card clearly capable (spec-wise) of playing the game, but it didn't work with the AMD card, and when it came to updating the drivers to get it to work with that game, they were like "nah, deal with it". That said I'm still rockin a 980ti with no plans to upgrade.

Last edited:

daninthemix

A lot of blather before any of us know the only things that matter:

- How will the AMD cards perform
- How much will they cost

thuGG_pl

Does AMD even have the technology/Talent to match Nvidia hardware?
Yes, they matched them with standard rasterized rendering, and cought up with FSR 2.0. Only piece missing is Ray Tracing performance. And considering RTX 40, they will need to catch up when it comes to frame insertion tech (which I'll wait for reviewers to tell us more about latency).

FingerBang

Part of me really wants to buy an RTX 4090. Part of me is well aware these prices are just to cash in for a few months until:

1) Stock of Ampere goes down.
2) AMD joins the race.

Because the 4080 and 4070 (let's call it what it is) make absolutely no sense at those price points.

According to the rumors, these cards have been ready for months. They haven't been released only because it would have pissed off the AIB partners even more. EVGA leaving right before this shitshow proves the point, especially keeping in mind those are FE prices and we haven't seen many AIB matching them or going cheaper.

Will AMD be able to match the performance? Yes, most likely in rasterization, while beating Nvidia in efficiency. And they'll also be able to respond quickly to the 4090 ti, thanks to their chiplet design. They obviously won't match Nvidia in ray tracing and realistically won't have a frame insertion technique at launch. They might have some RDNA3 exclusive FSR advantage though.

OZ9000

Banned
Yes, they matched them with standard rasterized rendering, and cought up with FSR 2.0. Only piece missing is Ray Tracing performance. And considering RTX 40, they will need to catch up when it comes to frame insertion tech (which I'll wait for reviewers to tell us more about latency).
I'm actually impressed at how well the 6800 XT matches the 3080 in performance, whilst also drawing less peak power. Similarly 6900 XT to the 3090.

If they're able to knock it out with RDNA3 with a card that outperforms the 3090 Ti at a good price, I'll be very impressed.

Last edited:

CamHostage

So thats 20 FPS and with frame interpolation 60 FPS?

Ouch...

Well, we'll see, how this new framerate interpolation technique works out on RTX 40 and in video game use. (It's awful in movies on TV, but then movies weren't meant to look "realistic" they're meant to look "cinematic", thus the fact we haven't increased the FPS for film in almost 100 years, and the few attempts to do so have been scoffed out of existence.)

I was no-no-no on the idea of resolution super-sampled upscaling being any kind of substitute for native resolution, but they've mostly made me a believer.

GymWolf

I could buy an xfx 6950xt for 900 dollars on amazon as we speak...

Is that one in the 3090 ballpark or higher?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Eh they are doing this because AMD has dropped the ball for almost a decade. At the end of the day, they know that they will have a better product. Yes, they are charging premium but like Apple, that premium typically translates into quality just like Apple products.

Now the price gouging and deceptive 4070 (or even 4060) pricing has the potential to backfire but currently, I dont know anyone here who wouldve picked up a 6800xt over a 3080. DLSS is just that and there is no comparison when it comes to ray tracing performance which should become the norm going forward.
I don't get how you can say AMD has been 'dropping the ball' when their GPUs are pretty much at parity. and with all the shit they're trying with the RX 7000 series I have no doubt what they offer will exceed nvidia.

RX 6800 XT is literally neck to neck. it's better in some games, worse in others. Same for FSR vs DLSS 2.0, similar performance and almost 0 differences.

their rasterization performance is completely on point, and AMD is matching them with 100w less power at their disposal (if you overclocked it to the same heights NVIDIA were reaching, I'm sure it'd be a bloodbath) if you're willing to spend an extra hunge for a currently useless and gimmicky feature (that also doesn't have good performance on Nvidia frankly) you do that, but I know a better deal when I spot one.

And apple products aren't very high quality.... They're cheap shit being marketed to you at high prices.

I have yet to see a feature from Nvidia (besides RT) that will make AMD look DRASTICALLY worse.

Last edited:

Mr1999

The last AMD or I should say ATI videocard I had was the king, the mighty 9700 Pro, before that I had a Nvidia Ti4200 so it's not like I would not try AMD or Nvidia from time to time, but my first choice is Nvidia, they have a lot of features I use that im sure I could find something similar with AMD for some of them but why, just pay more and be done with it, although I admit $900 would be the absolute most I would pay for one, own a 3070ti currently, so if I cant find anything under $1000 total I'm not going to buy it.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's is what I am thinking.
No shit, it's like thinking Ultrakill will outsell COD MW2 because Ultrakill is the better game. It's brand recognition, it's how shittily written movies manage to make billions at the box office, and how Drake's awful music keeps getting millions of listens and millions of bucks.

No shit, it's like thinking Ultrakill will outsell COD MW2 because Ultrakill is the better game. It's brand recognition, it's how shittily written movies manage to make billions at the box office, and how Drake's awful music keeps getting millions of listens and millions of bucks.
I don't think so.

Nvidia offers better technology outside gaming. If you are a digital artist. (3D/2D). Or Industrial designer/Architect for example.

Nvidia is were is at. There is not even a contest.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't get how you can say AMD has been 'dropping the ball' when their GPUs are pretty much at parity. and with all the shit they're trying with the RX 7000 series I have no doubt what they offer will exceed nvidia.

RX 6800 XT is literally neck to neck. it's better in some games, worse in others. Same for FSR vs DLSS 2.0, similar performance and almost 0 differences.

their rasterization performance is completely on point, and AMD is matching them with 100w less power at their disposal (if you overclocked it to the same heights NVIDIA were reaching, I'm sure it'd be a bloodbath) if you're willing to spend an extra hunge for a currently useless and gimmicky feature (that also doesn't have good performance on Nvidia frankly) you do that, but I know a better deal when I spot one.

And apple products aren't very high quality.... They're cheap shit being marketed to you at high prices.

I have yet to see a feature from Nvidia (besides RT) that will make AMD look DRASTICALLY worse.

DLSS and RT performance is what sets Nvidia apart. Just do a poll and see how many people here picked up a 6000 series AMD card over the 3000 series Nvidia card.

AMD has done better with RDNA cards, but they are still far behind when it comes to features hardcore gamers care about.

And Ive owned Samsung phones, nokia phones, and even a Sony xperia Z1 and even the shittiest 7 year old iphone 7 just feels quality in both hardware and especially software.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

EVGA was boutique. I don't even understand why people care they were so goddamn niche. Like judging the car industry on sales of Aston Martin.
If Asus or Gigabyte drop out get concerned.
Um most people I know bought EVGA cards.

I'd like to see a comparison of sales between different vendors.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Idk what game out there I need more than my 3080 for at the moment. I’m good for another 3-5 years easybefore maybe a new card matters.

If I was playing more modern competitive titles and wanted to have the visuals with the FPS then yeah I guess I’d look at the 4000 series. But hell the games I’m sinking time into now like dota 2, sc2, and age 2 I get max fps on max settings no problem so whatever.

Them showing cyberpunk on dlss3 with high fps and everything maxed out isn’t really selling me a card it’s more telling just how dog shit cp2077 optimization is. I have to turn down damn near everything on a 3080 to stay above 60fps, yet I can run other open world games on higher settings without issue like the ass creed titles.

Last edited:
It will push some people to AMD but Nvidia is by far the most popular GPU brand and these new cards will still sell well unfortunately

It'll take years to cut them down. Look how long Ryzen has been out and Intel is still the most popular CPU brand. Not hating on Ryzen...they're amazing CPUs and they forced Intel to compete. We need AMD or Intel to do the same as what Ryzen done but this time against Nvidia.

AMD might be able to compete with Nvidia at the low/mid range. Also they need to be able to match DLSS as that is a huge advantage of Nvidia. I don't know wtf Intel are doing with GPUs.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The only info you need is that they're allowing Nvidia to sell 4090's for weeks before they even announce anything, should tell you all you need to know.
That’s identical to how it was 2 years ago so you’re saying it’s no point waiting?

TransTrender

Gold Member
These guys are just talking shit and throwing shade cuz they want to shake as many people off the chase so they have a better chance of actually buying one of these things.

Nice try
I'm on to you

Hoddi

That’s identical to how it was 2 years ago so you’re saying it’s no point waiting?
Nobody knows how AMD's cards will perform. The bigger difference between then and now is that DX12/Vulkan have taken off in a big way since 2020. AMD often had performance issues on DX11/OGL but I don't really see nvidia holding the same driver advantage moving forward.

It otherwise just depends on how badly you need to upgrade. I'm waiting myself because there's zero chance that I'm getting a 12GB card for a 4k monitor.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
What I find funny is how people seem to think AMD will have a hard time competing with the 40 series; When the 4090 is priced outside of most gamers they only need to beat a glorified xx70 series card.
This is an easy slam dunk for the chiplet based RDNA3 cards, in fact Nvidia's price to performance of these "4080's" are so bad that AMD can increase their prices and still come out significantly ahead in price, performance and price to performance compared to these 4080's.

KaiserBecks

Advertisement for what? GPUs? You either suck it up and pay, buy a cheaper 30xx or just wait. I love my Ryzen cpu, but a graphics card from AMD hasn’t been an option for years and I don‘t see this changing anytime soon.

Idk what game out there I need more than my 3080 for at the moment. I’m good for another 3-5 years easybefore maybe a new card matters.

If I was playing more modern competitive titles and wanted to have the visuals with the FPS then yeah I guess I’d look at the 4000 series. But hell the games I’m sinking time into now like dota 2, sc2, and age 2 I get max fps on max settings no problem so whatever.

Them showing cyberpunk on dlss3 with high fps and everything maxed out isn’t really selling me a card it’s more telling just how dog shit cp2077 optimization is. I have to turn down damn near everything on a 3080 to stay above 60fps, yet I can run other open world games on higher settings without issue like the ass creed titles.
That was the new Overdrive ray tracing to be fair. And comparing no DLSS to full DLSS. Also CP has had pretty stong optimization for a while now. Without RT at max settings it is damn impossible to go below 60 on a 3080 and WITH RT and DLSS it stays pretty high except when you have Psycho RT on. AssCreed isn't doing anywhere near what Cyberpunk is graphically.

But it still doesn't mean much for these new cards. The 4090 is technically stable price wise, but everything else is just a fuck off card. Why even bother. And their own graphs don't look too impressive. You can find 3090s for under 1000, why would anyone in their right mind get a 4080 2g, which is worse in most ways?

AMD needs a serious answer to CUDA, you just can't build a real workstation without an Nvidia card, and I'm guessing a very large portion of their sales comes from non gaming/personal sectors like creative or anything requiring serious compute. Even with these mad prices, I'd spec a PC with 3090 if work needs a new workstation. the extra $$$ is just worth it then. For gaming? Feck no lol.

Last edited:
I don't get it man, the 4080 12gb model is on a completely different die than the 16gb model with LESS memory bandwidth and Cuda cores. (which basically confirms that it was never intended to be a 4080, more likely a 4070)

Not to mention these prices... 900 for an xx80 series card. What the hell, Nvidia??? The 1080 and 980 weren't budget by any means but their prices were very reasonable and manageable, hell the 3080 had good bang for buck. 2 years later, and this GPU mining craze has made Jensen go friggin mad.

That Power draw too is just abhorrent, too. 320w for the 4080 alone. 320w!!!!! Can nvidia not optimize their cards for shit??? The 1080 was 150 watts! 3 more gens later and it's doubled. Isn't tech supposed to be smaller, less power hungry and better as time goes on, what happened here???

and now DLSS 3.0 is 4000 series exclusive, so good luck 3000 series guys. You won't get all the new fancy features, accuracy improvements and bug fixes, you're stuck with the old version which will without question become outdated in years, while dlss 3.0 thrives and keeps on living until the next dlss comes along and ends support for that too.

Meanwhile AMD is actually experimenting and innovating with their multi chip gpu design, which will hopefully have similar performance to nvidias offerings at like a fraction of the power budget, and their ai solution works on everything. Not to mention their cards will likely be cheaper because it's not hard to be cheaper than this apple bullshit nvidia is pulling.

Jensen Huang has lost his God damn mind. And if youre gonna drop 1199 dollars on an xx80 series GeForce, you have too
Ever heard the saying, a fool and his money are soon parted? There's a lot of fools around.

Top Bottom