• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia is basically a giant advertisement for AMD at this point.

Banned
Haha, imagine thinking any of these people will actually buy a $1000 video card if they couldn't afford a $1200 or $1600 one.

This is the "I'm moving to Canada if Trump wins" of video cards. Everyone knows you aren't.

it's not that straight forward.
not only is the card 600 bucks cheaper, but also smaller and therefore will fit into basically all cases, and it is drawing way less power which means most people will have no issue running this card with their mid range PSU.
so in the end some people will save way more than the 600 bucks that the RTX4090 costs more than it.

my case for example would just be big enough for the founders edition 4090, but not for almost all board partner cards. my PSU also would blow up with that thing attached...
meanwhile the 7900XTX would work on my current build without any modifications.

that being said... I would still not buy an AMD card most likely, not until they catch up with raytracing performance for a similarly priced card as Nvidia's

clampzyn

Haha, imagine thinking any of these people will actually buy a $1000 video card if they couldn't afford a $1200 or $1600 one.
It's not that people will actually be buying those 1000$ gpus but people are happy that AMD have lower prices and the impression they give to consumers that you can get a powerful gpu at a much lower price even if its a bit less powerful which I don't think there's anything wrong. Ngreedia putting a premium price on their GPUs just to have extra features that majority of people don't even use let alone afford the pricing is absurd.

Last edited:
It's not that people will actually be buying those 1000$ gpus but people are happy that AMD have lower prices and the impression they give to consumers that you can get a powerful gpu at a much lower price even if its a bit less powerful which I don't think there's anything wrong. Ngreedia putting a premium price on their GPUs just to have extra features that majority of people don't even use let alone afford the pricing is absurd.
The iPhone 14 Pro Max starts at $1100.

Where's the angry Internet mob about that?

clampzyn

Where's the angry Internet mob about that?
Why are you comparing two different products? Doesn't make sense. If you bought an Iphone 14 you are already having a completely full product, if you bought a GPU, you only get the GPU and you will still need the cpu/ram/mobo etc. And yes people still think Iphone's are overpriced its just that there are less people voicing it on the internet.

Last edited:

Crayon

it's not that straight forward.
not only is the card 600 bucks cheaper, but also smaller and therefore will fit into basically all cases, and it is drawing way less power which means most people will have no issue running this card with their mid range PSU.
so in the end some people will save way more than the 600 bucks that the RTX4090 costs more than it.

my case for example would just be big enough for the founders edition 4090, but not for almost all board partner cards. my PSU also would blow up with that thing attached...
meanwhile the 7900XTX would work on my current build without any modifications.

that being said... I would still not buy an AMD card most likely, not until they catch up with raytracing performance for a similarly priced card as Nvidia's

And on the subject of practical considerations, if you have anything less than a screaming CPU you are going to bottleneck in some common scenarios.

Top Bottom