• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA is lowering GeForce RTX 4090/4080 pricing in Europe by 5%

Draugoth

Gold Member
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 has dropped to €1,859 from €1,949, while GeForce RTX 4080 is now available at €1,399 from €1,469. These are the new prices of RTX 40 GPUs in Europe according to official NVIDIA store.

The company was forced to lower the prices due to increasing value of the Euro compared to US Dollar. This means that the price cut is likely not a result of the upcoming Radeon RX 7900 launch.

New prices have already been implemented for Founder Edition GPU sold by official partners as well as for some custom models. Custom models are as expensive as €1,410 and €2,100 respectively for RTX 4080 and 4090 models. The latter GPU is still much more popular among enthusiast.

AMD is just about to launch their Radeon RX 7900 series next week which are designed to compete with GeForce RTX 4080 with lower prices. This means that RTX 4080 may see a further price drop soon.
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-is-lowering-geforce-rtx-4090-4080-pricing-in-europe-by-5
Source

winjer

Gold Member
Just 5%? Is this a joke?
F*** you too, nvidia.

F U Flip Off GIF

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
5% on 4090 is fine, it's the best deal you can have currently other card are pretty much trash

4080 needs like 25% discount, nobody wants that shit with such a minuscule difference between 4090 and 4080.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Just 5%? Is this a joke?
F*** you too, nvidia.

F U Flip Off GIF

wow so generous. How about 50%

5% hahaha. Are you serious?

spiderman GIF
It's just them readjusting the price based on the Euro's value compared to the US. It's not them thinking "Geez, maybe we shouldn't gouge our customers so much."

The 4080 is sitting on shelves here. I was at the local computer shop this weekend and saw a dude pick one up and the employee doing the transaction was basically like this:

AbsoluteImportantIndianspinyloach-max-1mb.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Getting better. I'm starting to lose my patience though and might get a 4080 anyway since they are widely available. I need the performance, getting sick of this 2070 super spluttering at 4k.
The 4080 is a great card its just catching a lot of hate obviously because of the pricing in relationship to the 4090

Had a friend move up from a 2080ti to a 4080 and is loving it

Thebonehead

Banned
Still trying to get hold of a 4090 here at FE prices - It's the legitimate shops that are scalping in the UK at the moment.

If I do manage to get one, perhaps I will buy Callisto Protocol with the change I'll get back just to sit back and grind my teeth in impotent fury at the shader compilations that apparently still exist.

You'd think that there would be a tool like on Linux where they have the precompiled shaders available for download. I guess less driver increments there limits the amount of permutations.

There seems to be a new Game Ready driver available every couple of weeks at the moment

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No, it's its pricing in relation to the 3080 and its placement in the product stack. 50% more performance for 70% more money is moving backwards.
I don't agree with that near as much as its priced too closely to the 4090 in relation to the performance

I do not look back at what previous generations of anything cost and thats one thing that spoils gamers is console pricing.

Last I looked literally everything is costing more

Gaiff

Gold Member
I don't agree with that near as much as its priced too closely to the 4090 in relation to the performance
Doesn't matter if you don't agree. You stated that it's catching a lot of flack mainly due to its price compared to the 4090, that's secondary. The reason that it's catching a lot of flack is that it's an x80 class card priced as an x90 class car while delivering a 50% gen on gen improvement over its predecessor. The 4090 is 25-30% faster and 33% more expensive. The scaling isn't too bad there.
I do not look back at what previous generations of anything cost and thats one thing that spoils gamers is console pricing.
Well, everyone else does. Those upgrading to a 4080 are 3080 or 2080 owners, not 3090/Ti owners. Those people paid an MSRP of $700 ($800-900 in actuality, assuming they didn't pay mining prices) and now you're asking them for $1300-1500.
Not 70% more. This dramatically outpaces the rate of inflation.

GHG

Gold Member
Don't give in ffs.

I'll do what I want thank you very much.

The rate of inflation is not evenly distributed across all products and raw materials. Also, if someone already has a 3080 or above then these new cards aren't really targeted at them. Most people on the high end 3xxx series cards will have little need to upgrade for now unless they are into higher end VR and/or multimonitor setups for stuff like flight sim.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Doesn't matter if you don't agree. You stated that it's catching a lot of flack mainly due to its price compared to the 4090, that's secondary. The reason that it's catching a lot of flack is that it's an x80 class card priced as an x90 class car while delivering a 50% gen on gen improvement over its predecessor. The 4090 is 25-30% faster and 33% more expensive. The scaling isn't too bad there.

Well, everyone else does. Those upgrading to a 4080 are 3080 or 2080 owners, not 3090/Ti owners. Those people paid an MSRP of $700 ($800-900 in actuality, assuming they didn't pay mining prices) and now you're asking them for $1300-1500.

Its ok we can agree to disagree

T4keD0wN

I am holding off until the second half of 2023 when they lower them to 60% once ampere stock is depleted.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Stay strong and don't buy. We should have 220 USD cards that make the RX 480 look like integrated graphics from Intel by now. Gamers and miners are to blame.

Thebonehead

Banned
Getting better. I'm starting to lose my patience though and might get a 4080 anyway since they are widely available. I need the performance, getting sick of this 2070 super spluttering at 4k.

Stay on Target

Star Wars GIF by Johanna Healy

Last edited:
GPU prices are high af because of mining shit which has little to do with why other prices got increased lately. Besides some enthusiats who can afford insane 4090 prices, the rest of the world is still stuck at 1060 1660 being affordable choices or something. So the new high end and actual entry levels the 30 seems not to have had at all, is to be found entirely new. Hence comparing 4080 MSRP to 3080 MSRP+ scalper bonus also makes almost no sense. Both are detached levels to what was normal before.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
GPU prices are high af because of mining shit which has little to do with why other prices got increased lately. Besides some enthusiats who can afford insane 4090 prices, the rest of the world is still stuck at 1060 1660 being affordable choices or something. So the new high end and actual entry levels the 30 seems not to have had at all, is to be found entirely new. Hence comparing 4080 MSRP to 3080 MSRP+ scalper bonus also makes almost no sense. Both are detached levels to what was normal before.
I just know when I talk to friends about upgrading their rigs the talk always comes down to something like "But at that price for just a few hundred more I can get the 4090"

It never comes down to "But for the 80 series the price point used to be here"

And btw the rest of the world still stuck at 1060 cards most of them are not looking to jump to 4080, 4090 anyhow because of their budget to begin with imo

They should be looking to pick up way marked down 3080 prebuilts right now that have dropped dramatically of late

Gaiff

Gold Member
The rate of inflation is not evenly distributed across all products and raw materials.
There's no justifying 70%. Inflation has little to do with such crazy price increases.
Also, if someone already has a 3080 or above then these new cards aren't really targeted at them. Most people on the high end 3xxx series cards will have little need to upgrade for now unless they are into higher end VR and/or multimonitor setups for stuff like flight sim.
And this changes what? The 4080 is presumably targeted towards 2080 owners who paid in the $700-900 price range for their cards. Now it's $1300-1500. The x80 series is typically the highest SKU sold at a reasonable price and was always far from the $1000 until now, where it not only smashed it but made an enormous leap in one generation.

LordCBH

Fuck Nvidia for the massive price increases they’ve done this Gen. A price increase was expected, but the 4080 should’ve been $800. Not $1200. Greedy fucks. Hope they don’t sell many cards.

CuNi

I feel like someone at NVIDIA made a 2 point graph with 20XX and 30XX prices and extrapolated linearly from there.
If this trend continues, people will have to make a conscious decision if they want a GPU, or a car.

I will be honest, I don't know who in a sane mind can think any of those prices are even remotely justified.
4080 should be 699€ at max. I "sadly" bit the bullet on my 3080 that I got for ~900€ which was still IMHO 200€ over and that purchase made me realize I should've just stuck to my 700€ limit and wait as long as it takes.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
im tryingot wait it out and not purchasxe a 4080 right now... its like i want oto wait and see the radeons bnut also there is one right htere to buy now. :messenger_astonished:

DaGwaphics

No, it's its pricing in relation to the 3080 and its placement in the product stack. 50% more performance for 70% more money is moving backwards.

That's why they will always struggle to sell these. The past 40 years has conditioned tech buyers to rightfully expect that time and progress will result in a better fps per dollar average when upgrading graphics cards. The performance increase is nice, but also increasing the price in a 1:1 ratio with that will just shrink the market in the end. It wouldn't be long before GPUs would cost about the same as a new car. LOL

At least AMD seems to be positioning themselves with a price/performance gain on the new models, even if inflation has lowered the generational increase a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom